Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Time to discuss the dumbness of the plot, because there's about 10 minutes of it here.
I also declare this day the day of the janky cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, there's some QUALITY level cutscenes there. I particularly like the camera clipping through Vorador, and his incredible jelly pendant.

Also, considering how much effort SR2 put into its facial rigging for the models, allowing them to convey emotion, it's disappointing to see how much more limited Blood Omen 2 is; they've tried to compensate with exaggerated gestures - but it's mostly turned into arm flails and finger curling.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Llab posted:

I think the game has gained sentience and is trying to stop you from mocking it further.

Or maybe the computer has developed an instinctive revulsion towards this tragedy and is rejecting the software.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
FWQOD is one of the dumber things about the game. Which is saying a lot.

Also, I would like everyone to keep in mind that we're not even halfway through the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
God, I must have blocked out these outfits. And here I thought Umah's was bad...

Unrelated to anything, Nosgoth is pretty fun, y'all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

God, I must have blocked out these outfits. And here I thought Umah's was bad...

Unrelated to anything, Nosgoth is pretty fun, y'all.

What if I told you that there are even worse outfits, and that you don't remember them for the sole reason that the section where they are encountered is even more forgettable than everything else in the game put together?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a brothel section? Granted, I do have a blank between the factory level and the final one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's not a brothel section, but it will feel like one.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Sadly, the fact that the Female Warriors Of Questionable Design have incorporate in their design holy symbols and a head cover which shows only the face, has brought me to suspect they were meant to represent some sort of armed, fetishized nuns.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You said it in possibly the most complicated way possible, but for the record in the United States we start counting floors with "1" and not "Ground" and then "1."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Guy Fawkes posted:

Sadly, the fact that the Female Warriors Of Questionable Design have incorporate in their design holy symbols and a head cover which shows only the face, has brought me to suspect they were meant to represent some sort of armed, fetishized nuns.

I think it's just "armed nuns", with the "fetishized" part being inherent to it being a BO2 design.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You said it in possibly the most complicated way possible, but for the record in the United States we start counting floors with "1" and not "Ground" and then "1."

As I said, dependent on your culture :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The thing that bugs me the most about the FWOQDs isn't even the outfit, it's that weird pose they do.

What is she doing with her left arm? Is that supposed to be a guard? Is she trying to hide her groin?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

I would think the developers were trying to make a very silly joke but gave up on it halfway like they did the rest of the game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

I would think the developers were trying to make a very silly joke but gave up on it halfway like they did the rest of the game.

I think it was conscious design to make the player want to die.

In this update, nothing happens. Except for me wanting to die.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I finished this game.

I don't remember any of this.

Also, I notice how you are picking the most nondescript youtube thumbnail images. It's like you wanna warn us.

You rat bastard.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Hymirvetr posted:

Also, I notice how you are picking the most nondescript youtube thumbnail images. It's like you wanna warn us.

:laffo:

I went and looked after you mentioned that. The majority are Kain turning a wheel, or climbing a ladder.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
If I can't have fun with the game, I can at least have fun with the thumbnails!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The G in "paradigm" is silent. Just thought you'd want to know.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The G in "paradigm" is silent. Just thought you'd want to know.

Ah, it's one of those things that I keep messing up no matter how hard I try to purge the error. Thanks.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Ah, it's one of those things that I keep messing up no matter how hard I try to purge the error. Thanks.

If it helps, think "twenty cents" (paradigm = said "para-dime", like "pair of dimes".)

Also, I'm taking a page from the Penny Arcade book, and hereby dubbing these scantily dressed nuns Holy Bitches.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, it occurs to me that Umah is dressed a lot like one of the Female Warriors of Questionable Design. Perhaps she was formerly one of their ilk, and that's why her outfit is so loving retarded.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SorataYuy posted:

If it helps, think "twenty cents" (paradigm = said "para-dime", like "pair of dimes".)

Also, I'm taking a page from the Penny Arcade book, and hereby dubbing these scantily dressed nuns Holy Bitches.

I smolder with generic rage :v:
To this day it never ceases to crack me up.

KieranWalker posted:

You know, it occurs to me that Umah is dressed a lot like one of the Female Warriors of Questionable Design. Perhaps she was formerly one of their ilk, and that's why her outfit is so loving retarded.

They are both similar to the worm riders from the Chakan sequel, so I'm guessing that both designs are based on that one, with diverging alterations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The video may be 37 minutes long, but I am a kind man, so you may skip straight to the bossfight.
That being said, I was not going to make a pretty button for this like I did for SR1/2. Not worth the effort (and 3 minutes of my precious time that I am totally not squandering by LPing BO2).

WE ARE 50% DONE WITH THE GAME.
WHY IS THIS LIKE A JRPG LP.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
In a bit of of (tangentially) LoK related news, Squeenix has just announced that they're canning the development of Nosgoth and will be taking it offline on 31.05.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

In a bit of of (tangentially) LoK related news, Squeenix has just announced that they're canning the development of Nosgoth and will be taking it offline on 31.05.

Wow, what a "shock".
Welp, I'd say that it doesn't make any fundamental changes in the fate of the IP, to be honest. They remember that they have the IP, they wanted to show that they aren't completely abandoning it, but weren't commited to making a proper LoK. That was it.

I encourage the thread to derail, it would be a welcome change from the normal nothingness of BO2.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This chapter after Sebastian is the lowest point of the game, by far. Speaking personally though.

gently caress this canyon. This entire area takes the snoozefest of the game up until now and makes it worse.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

This chapter after Sebastian is the lowest point of the game, by far. Speaking personally though.

gently caress this canyon.

Oh, I agree. gently caress that canyon.
The hood is nice, everything else sucks on multiple levels.
It sucks so much that I wasn't willing to sit through it multiple times, so I recorded its first half in live commentary because gently caress it.
(spoiler: it is a surprising improvement after how I live-commented the first few videos of BO1 a year ago, long before I had any idea what I was doing)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 8, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Wow, what a "shock".
Welp, I'd say that it doesn't make any fundamental changes in the fate of the IP, to be honest. They remember that they have the IP, they wanted to show that they aren't completely abandoning it, but weren't commited to making a proper LoK. That was it.

I encourage the thread to derail, it would be a welcome change from the normal nothingness of BO2.
It's not surprising, just a drat shame because it was actually a pretty good game under all the client jank. If it got popular, it might've resulted in another LoK.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Alexeythegreat posted:

gently caress that canyon.

That's what she said. :downsrim:

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Alexeythegreat posted:

The video may be 37 minutes long, but I am a kind man, so you may skip straight to the bossfight.
That being said, I was not going to make a pretty button for this like I did for SR1/2. Not worth the effort (and 3 minutes of my precious time that I am totally not squandering by LPing BO2).

WE ARE 50% DONE WITH THE GAME.
WHY IS THIS LIKE A JRPG LP.

Well it's not like a JRPG LP, those are long because either nobody knows how to edit out random encounters, or refuse to because they are forgetful/lazy.
In this case the game is just really long and lovely and you're doing everything in your power to make the last slog through it bearable.
So in reality it's more like a Mass Effect LP.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TCat posted:

Well it's not like a JRPG LP, those are long because either nobody knows how to edit out random encounters, or refuse to because they are forgetful/lazy.
In this case the game is just really long and lovely and you're doing everything in your power to make the last slog through it bearable.
So in reality it's more like a Mass Effect LP.

Except in Mass Effect you don't have to do the optional Mako garbage.
BO2 is like one big long Mako planet exploration stage.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 9, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, now we are getting to a part I do remember. Sadly.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Except in Mass Effect you don't have to do the optional Mako garbage.
BO2 is like one big long Mako planet exploration stage.

I don't get the hate for the Mako in ME1. It was pretty easy to handle once you got used to the quirky physics. I enjoyed bouncing around and going all Dukes of Hazzard on foreign planets :)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vicissitude posted:

I don't get the hate for the Mako in ME1. It was pretty easy to handle once you got used to the quirky physics. I enjoyed bouncing around and going all Dukes of Hazzard on foreign planets :)
It's because the quirky physics could easily lead to poo poo like this happening. But mostly it's because no real effort was put into the planets. They looked and played like something an intern churned out in a single afternoon with a fractal land generator.
If the planets had actual stuff to explore, neat things to look at and had some paths for the Mako to find & follow it would have been remembered much more fondly.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, now we are getting to a part I do remember. Sadly.
I'm curious: Report back after the Canyons level is done with how much you actually remembered.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think that anilEhilated is referring not to the entirety of the canyons, which is astonishingly forgettable, but to the cutscene at the end of the stage :v:

Also, this is probably the most watchable of all my solo updates. Apparently, live commentary makes BO2 easier on my mind? I don't know.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 9, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

I think that anilEhilated is referring not to the entirety of the canyons, which is astonishingly forgettable, but to the cutscene in the end of the stage :v:
Yes. Also the silly costume and playing the entire thing in a state of "gently caress this, I really should be doing something more fun".
e: Kind of like Skyrim in that regard.
e2: Now those girls, definitely blocked out.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 9, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Yes. Also the silly costume and playing the entire thing in a state of "gently caress this, I really should be doing something more fun".
e: Kind of like Skyrim in that regard.
e2: Now those girls, definitely blocked out.

:laffo:

Don't worry, I'll die, but we'll finish this garbage by April 20th, after which I will immediately start Defiance and you'll be able to wash this out of your mouth :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Raygereio posted:

It's because the quirky physics could easily lead to poo poo like this happening. But mostly it's because no real effort was put into the planets. They looked and played like something an intern churned out in a single afternoon with a fractal land generator.
If the planets had actual stuff to explore, neat things to look at and had some paths for the Mako to find & follow it would have been remembered much more fondly.

Thankfully I never got into a situation like that. But ME3 did retcon a lot of that exploration into some important stuff. If you carried your saves over and you found, say, the Matriarch's writings or what have you then you could open up new resources you couldn't have earlier. Plus you got cash bonuses in ME2 if you found all the element caches. So it turned out useful in any event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Just in case you forgot to look it up,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0sfhppn1e8

• Locked thread