Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Problem description: I did a clean reformat of my Windows 7 and switched over to Windows 10. Previously had tried direct upgrade to Win10 but it just kept screwing up due to driver weirdness. I burned a DVD and it actually installed fine. What happened is that my BIOS is set to AHCI mode and then was unable to boot since it did not see any bootable drives and I am locked out. I got this error: " ** This version supports only Hard Disks and CDROM drives ** 23"

I cannot get into BIOS to change settings. However if I do remove and replace the CMOS battery I am free to switch to IDE in BIOS which then Windows does boot. I would like to use AHCI if possible to get the SSD benefits but it still does not seem to work.

Attempted fixes: I've tried various permutations of starting Windows 10 in safemode (msconfig, command prompt, registry changes) and then changing the BIOS setting to AHCI after restarting. This apparently will boot Windows 10 into safemode under AHCI and then install the appropriate driver. I have also fiddled around with GSATA options but does not make a difference. All of this has not worked and I get into an unbootable lock out of my BIOS as above.

I've also tried to reinstall under AHCI mode but that does not work since my BIOS just does not detect my DVD drive nor my USB drive (which I have put the windows image). I have tried moving my sata cables of my SSD and DVD drive to different sata ports from SATA2_0 to SATA2_5 but that hasn't made a difference. I get the same error as above.

I have also tried to install AMD AHCI drivers since apparently gigabyte AHCI drivers are garbage. Has worked for some people apparently, not me.

Recent changes: none, other than reformatting my drive and installing windows 10 under IDE mode

--

Operating system: Fresh install Windows 10 64-bit professional in IDE mode

System specs: Custom built in 2010
Intel I5-760 quad at 2.9ghz no OC
Gigabyte GA-P55a-UD3
NVIDIA GTX760 2gb
12gb ddr3
Crucial 256gb M4 SSD
some internal DVD drive
some xfi sound card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks for the help!

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I would suggest installing the latest motherboard BIOS first. Connect the drives with the SSD to SATA2 port 0, and counting up from there. Do not use the white SATA3 ports, in fact disable the Marvell SATA3 controller in the BIOS entirely. Make sure to do this as soon as possible to prevent damage to your SSD.

Also note that your motherboard has an Intel SATA controller so you're not using drivers from either Gigabyte or AMD. The drivers are built into Windows 10.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Alereon posted:

I would suggest installing the latest motherboard BIOS first. Connect the drives with the SSD to SATA2 port 0, and counting up from there. Do not use the white SATA3 ports, in fact disable the Marvell SATA3 controller in the BIOS entirely. Make sure to do this as soon as possible to prevent damage to your SSD.

Also note that your motherboard has an Intel SATA controller so you're not using drivers from either Gigabyte or AMD. The drivers are built into Windows 10.

So I did just update the bios. I do have my drives in on Sata 2 ports 0 through 2 with my SSD as 0 (master IDE) and my platter as sata 2-1 (slave IDE). My DVDrw is in Sata2-3. I do not see the option to turn of Sata 3 or even see marvel sata3 controller in my BIOS. I don't have anything stuck in my SATA3 ports though.

Anyway still running into the same issue in that the BIOS isn't detecting my drives in AHCI mode. Will try running in safemode again if that makes a difference.

• Locked thread