Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
78 AMC Gremlin. 4.2L, 2BBL, auto, AC, the works. Anyone got ideas how to source a replacement idler pulley? The Grey beards online basically say "good luck."

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I looked at later Eagle/Spirit/Concord 4.2, but they're V-grooved.

E: I wonder if you can put the spindle into the center of a different pulley? '87 Wrangler is flat.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm guessing it's a threaded stud sticking out of the engine holding it on? is it threaded in or pressed?

You could get or make a long shoulder nut that threads on there. grind it to length. take your measuring devices to the pick-n-pull, find a pulley the right size, then get a bearing that matches the ID based on your shoulder nut, and OD of your pulley. You might be able to find a small pipe or something that would work to space the bearing from the engine.

Alternatively, thread a coupling nut on, and thread a regular idler pulley bolt into that.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

It's the number of the beast
Hammer that poo poo straight and call it a day. Unless it's the bearing then I'm sorry but after much searching online I only find the v belt pulley as well. What about your junkyard of civic goodies?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
i meta guy the other day after talking to him about his eagle and he gave me his card and his business is selling used AMC parts. Ill give him a call tomorrow, maybe he's got something lying around.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Failing the above options, give it to a machine shop, have them turn a suitably sized donut on a lathe, and reuse your centre and bearing.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 8, 2016

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

just got off the phone with the guy and he thinks he's got one, just emailed him the pictures to confirm. would be $45 canadian (so wayyy less u.s now). Then shipping from Vancouver island to you if your interested.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just get generic idler with the same od, pull the stud, get a spacer, and bolt it on?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Weird- I don't see anything on rock auto.

Now is the best time for a 4.0L swap

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sandbagger SA posted:

Now is the best time for a 4.0L swap

That reminds me: would the pulley be the same on a contemporary CJ? Because there are plenty of Jeep-specific wrecking yards that you might be able to mail-order from.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

eberbs posted:

just got off the phone with the guy and he thinks he's got one, just emailed him the pictures to confirm. would be $45 canadian (so wayyy less u.s now). Then shipping from Vancouver island to you if your interested.

I think my friend is going to say yes, I had a lot of poo poo pop up via civic and just rechecked. Do you paypal/etc?

On the good chance he says yes, what's the best way to get ahold of you for details.

And the pulley itself? Well, I was given explicit instructions to go ahead and open it up and see if we can harvest anything.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 10, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

I think my friend is going to say yes, I had a lot of poo poo pop up via civic and just rechecked. Do you paypal/etc?

On the good chance he says yes, what's the best way to get ahold of you for details.

And the pulley itself? Well, I was given explicit instructions to go ahead and open it up and see if we can harvest anything.

well at least you can use the iron filings for fertilizer

the grease and/or brake cleaner might negate that tho

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Raluek posted:

That reminds me: would the pulley be the same on a contemporary CJ? Because there are plenty of Jeep-specific wrecking yards that you might be able to mail-order from.

I was thinking that - I even tried searching rock auto for a CJ5 4.2L pulley and didn't see one.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

you can just private msg me on here. I should be able to do paypal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sure is a weird setup. Can you post a pic of where it goes/what it screws onto? I'm curious now.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

post a pic of where it goes/what it screws onto

I'm going to guess 'an engine'

Serious answer: It looks like a regular idler, other than it having it's own built-in spacer. So adding a spacer to a regular idler may work just fine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know that. Just trying to get a little more info so I can see if I can figure out a better/easier solution to the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c-removal-help-3200761/#post30161889

1st and 5th pics.

• Locked thread