Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

Lilith made an arcane gesture using the cover of her robe's sleeve before opening up her mind to Garuum's mental message. She seemed to consider it, looking over the entranced tribe and guards. Then she broke her silence. "I've never found magic to be a very persuasive tool. I've been a part of negotiations in the past where someone decides they can gain an advantage with enchantment magics. It tended to end badly."

"Perhaps it is simply the nature of life to rebel against the constraints placed upon it. Perhaps the many drives and incentives that tug at us will wear down even the mightiest enchantment over time. Or perhaps...or perhaps it was because they tried their sorceries in the presence of a Third-Order Shaper." Lilith's eyes blazed with power, shining a blinding light over the scouts and the anura, weakening the magic placed upon them. "Garuum, your magic is strong, but you have shown it to me one too many times!"

Attempting to dispel Garuum's hold on everyone. Intelligence + Analytical Arcanist: 1d20+13 17

I don't know what the DC would be on something like this normally, but may I expend a use of Countermagic for additional effect?

pre:
Lilith Avorena
HP: 39/48   Recoveries: 6/8 (4d6+2)   Initiative: +4
AC 16     PD 14     MD 19
Ray of Frost: 1d20+9+ED; 4d8 cold
Shocking Grasp, 1d20+9+ED; 1d4 electric, pop free

Daily/Recharge
[ ]Shield (Recharge 11+)                  
[ ]Lightning Bolt
[ ]Confusion
[X][ ]Force Salvo
[ ][ ]Utility Spell             

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Brianna Antinea

Brianna stops tending to her wounds and regards Maeve for a moment. "Not quite the answer I was hoping to hear, but not as unreasonable as I feared. I want to see the High King deposed just as much as you do, but... Not at any price." She throws the bloody rag away and wraps her upper arm and shoulder in bandage. "They have your heart Maeve. I sure hope you won't end up as just another pawn in the dragonic war machine if it should come to that."

She remains quiet for a moment, but makes no move to stand up and leave. "There's one more thing I'd like to ask you. About the Stormlash. Did your tribe worship the Gods? Did you have any contact with the Ghostly Lady? It may be that the dragons awoke the power within you, but your gift, it has to belong to her." She sounds uncharacteristically unsure of herself as she speaks the last part. If the dragons could emulate the power of the Gods and the Lady, what could that mean?

---

"What have you done?" Brianna face turns severe and she regards Garuum with an intense scowl. "You will release our soldiers. Now! This is not negotiable and I will make no promise before you have withdrawn your tainted magic." She wraps her hand tightly around the grip of her sword but does not draw it. They were terribly outnumbered of course, but when weren't they? "You may think you have us at a disadvantage, Lyone made the same mistake. Do not retread his footsteps."

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Tension fills the air as Garuum goes silent, his bulging eyes moving from Maeve to Lilith and Brianna before finally settling back on Maeve. After the Stormlash scion's outburst, the rest of you feel a sudden flare of emotion through the telepathic link the anura chieftain has forced upon you. It's strange and alien, an emotion you can't quite put into words and that none of you certainly have ever felt, but the best words to describe the feeling are sheer terror. Garuum, or whatever he really is, is scared beyond reason of Maeve, and she can feel his psychic tendrils quickly withdrawing from her mind. Lilith's counterspell does its trick, and while everyone barring Maeve can still feel Garuum's psychic presence in their minds, it's considerably weaker. The scouts shudder, their grips loosening as Garuum's hold on them slips, but the anura chieftain stands firm. Battle feels like it's about to break out any second.

But Garuum relents before it does.

"Point taken, Miss Antinea. I believe we'll have to agree to disagree on the coercive potential of magic, Miss Avorena," Garuum croaks as he rolls his eyes. At once, a tremor runs through the scouts as they regain control of their own bodies, some of them stumbling and falling like puppets with cut strings. "I've been quite successful in the past, but clearly I was wrong to believe you'd be as easy to fool as the Iskar. My sincerest apologies," he says insincerely. As a group, the rest of the anura tribe brighten up, their expressions transforming from silent malice to vacant grins. They chatter among themselves and start to disperse, some heading into the lake with talk of gathering catfish for the coming celebrations. Others pick up the fallen red-scaled anura and ribbit happily about using the corrupted dead as marsh-spider bait. All except for Ranna, who cowers and whimpers as several of the larger anura trudge obediently over to their chieftain's side.

"That little exchange of ours likely raised more questions than it answered," Garuum mutters as the scouts pick themselves up and hastily rejoin your group. "So before I sour our relations further, I'd like to.. 'come clean' as it were. You've all likely surmised that I haven't been entirely truthful about myself, and if we are to be allies it's only fair that you know who I truly am and the full extent of my capabilities. No conditions, no counterproductive shows of power, etc. Is that acceptable to everyone?"

Garuum clears his throat and takes a seat. "Fair warning, this is going to be a rather lengthy explanation. Strictly speaking, while I am the chieftain of the Anura tribe, I am not dragonspawn myself. I am, in fact, a demon. Specifically, I am of the variety known among followers of the Dark Figure as an 'Intellect Devourer'- an otherworldly creature with potent psychic abilities that can assume the bodies and identities of other beings by consuming their brains and memories." The hulking anura and any remaining dragonspawn nearby don't react at all to this information, looking disinterested and bored at best. Ranna, meanwhile, is floored by the development and mutters to herself.

"When the Dark Figure resurrected Iskaranura, he did so by pouring a great deal of magic into the dragon's temple and surrounding area, weakening the barriers between this plane and my own. Though I was not summoned directly, I was able to squeeze through the weakened barriers on my own. I went through a few hosts before I was able to claim this body, and by the time I had I was able to figure the dragonspawn out. The Iskar had been using a form of magic similar to my own to control the Anura and keep them compliant- the same magic that your Leone used to control his soldiers. As an Intellect Devourer, I am naturally immune to all magic that can subsume or control one's will. Once I had 'become' Garuum, I wove a spell of my own that freed the Anura and I led them in a bloody uprising against their former masters. The Iskar never saw it coming. After that I led them here, to Swamphome, and lived among them as their beloved chieftain. That is, until the gnolls came and ousted me. While I was immune to their magics, my tribesmen were not, and I was unable to put together a counterspell before they turned on me."

He spreads his arms. "And then I met you folks! I had initially taken you for some of Leone's soldiers sent to kill me- I'd heard that the Iskar had been in contact with some humans and it only follows that they would seek revenge. When I realized that you were another faction entirely- one bent on killing Leone, I saw an opportunity. Two birds with one stone is the saying, I believe? I'm sure I don't need to repeat the rest of our recent history- you all have adequate memories, right? It's not like it's been two months since we last spoke, after all." He claps his hands and plants his staff in the ground, using it to stand up. "Well, there you have it. Garuum's secrets! I'm sure no ill-will remains between us, right? I believe I've demonstrated my willingness to cooperate, so perhaps we can put this unfortunate event behind us, hm? Though if further evidence of my magnanimous nature are required, I would be happy to put any of your lingering doubts to rest by answering any questions you might have. Now then, any questions?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud gives his scouts a glance. They're not under Garuum's direct thrall, but that doesn't mean he didn't try something in the meantime...
"Weapons sheathed, this is political. Get your heads together, you'll be debriefed when we get back."

Grand General + Former General + Wis: 1d20+4+8 16 to see if the troops seem really okay.

Firgud wills his golem body a couple steps forward and asks a question.
"Alright, Garuum or... whatever your name is. If you want to speak of tokens of goodwill, then one of the things we've been looking for is that giant dragon carcass. Any objections to us carting that thing back to our neck of the woods?"

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 39/48 (00)		[ ]Battle Captain
AC 17			[ ]Scramble (16+)
PD 14			[X]BTS (11+)	
MD 20		
Recoveries 8/8 (4d8+1)		Command Points: 2
Melee: 1d20+2+ED; 4d6-1

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

Demon. Brianna finds herself subconsciously mouthing the word as she stands stunned in light of Garuum's revalation. The scowl on her face changes into a look of sheer incredulity, but her hand still remains on the hilt of her sword. To say this was not quite how she had imagined what her first encounter with a demon would be like was a massive understatement. As it turns out it wasn't even the first time, Garuum had been a demon all along. When they first met at the edge of the swamp. When she shook its hand. When they marched on Lyone's fortress and it helped them defeat the loyalists. They had even slept in its presence without knowing!

"I don't understand. Garuum. Why would you tell us that you... How..." Brianna shakes her head and regains her composure, steeling her gaze. "How do you see this meeting end, Garuum? We simply shake hands and become allies, then leave you to control the Anura tribe with your demonic magic? How could we ever accept that? We came here on your behest to free the Anura from the gnolls that kept their minds enslaved, but you have been doing the same to them. What makes you a better master than the Iskar? If you're honest about your desire to cooperate then you will renounce your position as chieftain and cease influencing the minds of the Anura, so that they can finally be given the chance to rule themselves. Then you will surrender yourself to our judgement and answer for your crimes."

Was it insane to ask a demon to do what is right? Could they be trusted? How should they be judged according to the gods and the lady and could they be saved? Brianna tries to remember the lessons her mother taught her what felt like a lifetime ago.
A Rekindled Faith + Wis: 1d20+3+2+4 28
(Basically I'd like to know a bit more about how demons fit into the grander scheme of things in this world. The Dark Figure and his followers summon them into this world, but does that mean they are anathema to the lady and the gods I follow?)

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

Lilith kept silent for the time being. Partly because ultimately the decision would ultimately be up to Jormund and Brianna, and while the lord and their chief advisor may disagree, she wanted to avoid the appearance of public dissention from her side. As well, she wasn't really sure what sort of advice she could offer. True, their fledgling nation needed allies, but this would be a literal deal with a demon. And philosophically, the idea of depriving sapient creatures of their ability to self-determine seemed morally reprehensible. But the main reason she wasn't speaking was because she was preparing another counterspell, just in case it was needed.

pre:
Lilith Avorena
HP: 39/48   Recoveries: 6/8 (4d6+2)   Initiative: +4
AC 16     PD 14     MD 19
Ray of Frost: 1d20+9+ED; 4d8 cold
Shocking Grasp, 1d20+9+ED; 1d4 electric, pop free

Daily/Recharge
[ ]Shield (Recharge 11+)                  
[ ]Lightning Bolt
[ ]Confusion
[X][ ]Force Salvo
[ ][ ]Utility Spell             

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jormund Fire-Stone / Magnus Magnusson XXXI

Jormund listens carefully to everything that has happened, glances down at Magnus, and gives a decisive nod - and holds up a hand.

"Before we continue, I ask we put our weapons down. We have had a time for action. Now is a time for words. Brianna, I trust your judgement well, but I ask in turn that you trust mine. Garuum - or whatever you used to be called, though I assume you prefer Garuum - I hypothesize that you have told us this as a means to secure emotional leverage of sorts now that the opportunity for mental control has been broken. Careful application of truth to ensure trust, that sort of thing. Quite un-dwarvenly - near downright elven, in fact - but nothing I am unused to. I am Baron, yes, and much as with you, my decisions are those that will be final, yes. But unlike you, I seek not thralls but willing assistants; not slaves, but advisers. There is much I readily admit to not knowing, and my father himself always said that the wisest of all rulers finds their weaknesses, and keeps company to secure against them. To that end, I ask you answer the two questions given - namely, what will be of the dragon body, and how you see yourself as being different from the other masters the people here have been forced to serve? I would prefer you an ally then an enemy, but if you will come honest then I will as well - you have lied to us, and often. You have used us and our men. You claim us as allies yet attempt to control our minds against our wishes at every chance. There are painfully few reasons to trust you right now; aye, we share a common enemy, but the enemy of my enemy is NOT always my friend. As my fourth aunt on my mother's side was fond of saying, those who befriend a backstabber had best reinforce the joints of their armor. And as my second uncle on my mother's side used to say, all things come down to habits - and the habits you have shown us are frightful. What I see now is a tyrant no different then those we have overthrown, save for how personal this matter has so quickly grown. If you can prove me wrong with words and honor - properly, without trickery or magic - I ask you do so."

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

@Firgud: As far as you can tell, the scouts are under no one's control but their own. Private Cross catches your eye as you look them over and offers an unsure look. "It was like watching my body from outside my body," she mutters, glancing nervously at Garuum. "I do not feel that way any more, but he might have done something else to us, something subtle. As well, I am not certain there is anything preventing him from doing so again." She and the rest of the scouts nod as they put their weapons away, securing their shortswords to their scabbards with twine and unstringing their bows. Just in case.

@Brianna: Put simply, demons are strange and vile things that are not of this world, yet much of their nature remains a mystery. They were rare even when the Dark Figure held sway over the human race, but by all accounts they were uniformly malicious. Their relationship to the Distant Gods is a matter of much speculation- some say there is no relation, but others hold that demons are servants of the Gods. The latter opinion is something of a blasphemous claim among those who believe the Gods to be uniformly good and righteous, as no such being would have the vile demons as their servants. Some concede that the demons may be servants of some the Gods, those dark and vicious Gods whose evil matches the demons' own. Most find that view unsatisfactory, for if demons are servants of evil Gods, then surely the good Gods must have their own otherworldly servants, yet evidence of no such beings has ever been found. The Ghostly Lady has yet to offer any answers to these questions, but as demons almost uniformly represent a threat to the common people those in her service agree that demons are to be killed wherever their taint is found. So, demons are hated by the worshipers of the Ghostly Lady more because they kill people and less because they are anathema to the Lady and the Gods.

"Please, address me as Garuum. I didn't have much concept of self before I assumed this body, and regardless whatever 'Garuum the Anura Slave' might once have been, he is long dead now." Casting his gaze over at the dragon corpse, his features twist to an amused look. "Why Firgud, my good dwarf, I thought you'd never ask! If the Anura dealt in coin like your people do, I would pay you to take that rotting heap of flesh off my hands! Matters as they are, I'll happily lend you the aid of some of my burlier Anura to help you cart the thing out of my swamp. That is, providing I still have the authority to do so by the end of our meeting." He winks before adopting a more serious tone.

"Why indeed, Brianna? Would you have preferred that I reveal my true nature at our first meeting back when you had even fewer reasons to trust me? I believe I've demonstrated my worth, both as an ally and as chieftain of the Anura. It pains me that you would throw all that away over such a trifling matter." Garuum's bulging eyes narrow as he regards the outspoken knight. "I wonder, Brianna, if you've considered the difficulties of leading a people who have lived in servitude their entire lives. Perhaps it was easier for you and your kind to throw off the High King's yoke, having known a life before his reign? Yet, for every triumphant young woman who stoically turned her back on her King and Family in the name of Good and Justice there are hundreds of worms like Lyone who would happily kill their own soldiers for a pat on the head. Once you topple the High King, what do you do with them, hm?

"And you, Baron Jormund," Garuum glares at the dwarf. "How quick you are to throw around terms like 'tyrant'. It must really sting for you to think of your own people toiling away in service of one, doesn't it? Yet the blood of your slain leader has barely cooled and already there are Coppersmiths eagerly stepping up for the opportunity to push their own people's collective noses against the grindstone. What do you do with them after you've reinstated your Prince in his proper place? Kill them? Exile them? Lock them away in the deepest dungeon you've got? Now the both of you, imagine your people number only a few hundred and that your oppressors have been magically compelling them for generations. You two could afford to punish as many traitors as you need- there are enough dwarves and humans to make up the difference. I didn't have that luxury when I freed the Anura. Breaking the Iskar's command spell only does so much compared to years of ingrained servitude. What do you do when, after slaughtering as many Iskar as you can, the people you saved go back to mindlessly throwing themselves into a dead dragon's spectral gullet?"

Garuum stands up, his features twisted into a froggy snarl. His voice has become a bellowing roar. "Have I been mentally compelling the Anura with my psychic abilities? Why yes, of course! My psionics were used quite frequently when I was starting out, but now I only need to do so occasionally. I hardly have the capability to control every Anura at all times, so what I do is exert a sort of mental dampening field over Swamphome that keeps them all compliant and friendly with each other. Under my psychic influence no one hoards supplies, everyone gets fed equally, they don't fight or argue among themselves. And, most importantly, they are all focused on the advancement of their own people. So it inhibits some cognitive function- the Anura were hardly geniuses before the Iskar enslaved them! That is the extent of my psychic control over the Anura- everything else I do the old-fashioned leader-ly way. I don't command them to glorify me- they do that of their own free will, and at this point I'd say I've earned their admiration many times over!"

At this point Garuum sits back down, his bulky form creating a wet thud against the muddy ground. "So, there you have it. I will not relinquish the title of chieftain nor will I cease my mental compulsions over the Anura. You know my reasoning, you know what I am, what you choose to do with that information is up to you. Though, Miss Antinea had a wonderful suggestion earlier. I propose we shake hands, become allies, and leave me to control the Anura with my demonic magic, until I decide that they no longer need me to be their leader. How does that sound, hm~?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

"You can't be serious..." The demon's words weighed heavily upon Brianna. She especially loathed how much sense they made. The Anura were unlikely to make the transition into self rule smoothly, especially not with their former masters still looming in the vicinity. Was it more humane to leave them under the thrall of a demon even for a limited time, rather than free them, if that would save lives? She really didn't feel ready to make up her mind about that. This excursion had seemed so clear cut when they set off, why did it have to turn into, well, this? What she wouldn't give to be back in Haven drinking heavily from a flagon of mead right about now.

She reluctantly releases the grip on her sword, now merely resting the palm of her hand on the pommel, then turns to Jormund. "Lord Fire-Stone. I do trust your judgement, though I beg you to tread carefully. Demons are not to be trusted, I have never even once heard of one that acts without malice. Whatever Garuum is planning, it is sure to be something abhorrent. With that in mind, though it infuriates me to no end, it is my advice as the Marshal of the Realm to..." She shakes her head and swallows hard with a bitter look on her face. "...To strike a deal with Garuum. We cannot let the Anura be without leadership in a precarious position such as this before we have dealt with the Iskar and Iskaranura, and made sure that they have someone they can rally behind in Garuum's absence. At the same time this mustn't be allowed to become a permanent arrangement, the Anura should not be left as the playthings for an intellect devourer for a moment longer than necessary, and the dragonspawn that spoke out against Garuum in his absence should be allowed to come with us when we depart."

"...May the Lady help us."

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 25, 2017

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

Firgud frowns, but he's not generally one to jump into fights when they weren't necessary. He takes a deep breath. Looks like his scouts wouldn't have to jump back into the fighting immediately.
"We're prepared to escort any Anura, and they're free to stay at the barracks until better accommodations are found."
"Cross, take a pair and make sure the way back is clear."

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 39/48 (00)		[ ]Battle Captain
PD 14			[X]BTS (11+)	
MD 20		
Recoveries 8/8 (4d8+1)		Command Points: 2
Melee: 1d20+2+ED; 4d6-1

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jormund scratches his beard and gives a heavy sigh.

"What you say is true, aye. I disagree with your methods, naturally, but then, I suppose many others may say the same for myself. And you are right - the Anura need leadership, and you are, simply put, the best set up for the job. Furthermore, I agree as well that we are better suited as allies then enemies. Even when you discount our present shared enemy with the Iskar and the Iskaranura, we have seen first hand that the High King wishes to exploit and abuse the power of these swamps - power you assisted us in taking back, and power you likewise do not wish to see in his hands. After all, the High King has shown he has no such desire to ally with the Anura; he'd see them in chains both physical and mental. At the same time, it sounds like not all Anura agree with your methods and leadership; those anura who come to distrust you or your methods - we should both agree, I think, that any weighted expression of power you might push onto them will be seen as...distasteful, to the rest of us. Therefore, I propose not only an alliance between us, but also writ of free passage. Those of the Anura who desires a different life can have it, amongst my lands. It removes troublemakers you would otherwise have to deal with, helps keep diplomacy between our forces strong, and ensures you don't have to take any such distasteful actions that might come back to our citizenship. In other words, your secret remains secret, and no potential events need sour our alliance. Of course, I have no doubt that our alliance will come hand in hand with far more. Chief Treasurer Avorena, for example, no doubt has already made stacks of papers in her mind, filled with trade agreements and...numbers. Nothing wrong with numbers, mind, I just never had a head for it myself. Sometimes, I'm more a pen then an actual ruler. Ah, but that's how these things go, if I recall my second aunt's lessons."

Jormund takes a small flask and pulls from it, then offers his hand.

"No doubt there will be time for papers and signitures and official proclamations. For now, a simple handshake may do. To our alliance, Chieftan Garuum?"

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Garuum regards Jormund for a moment, casting a wary look over at Maeve before he extends his webbed hand and shakes. "To our alliance! Your terms are agreeable to me, Baron Fire-Stone," he croaks. "In truth, I am growing weary of my rule. I would gladly have the Anura eventually integrate with your kind and pass on the mantle of Chieftain to another. You presence here presents a unique opportunity for someone with my capabilities." His eyes shine with a malicious glee. "Think of it, Baron- I can flawlessly assume the identity of anyone, gaining access to all their secrets and memories in the process. The Anura aside, I could be a great asset to you in your future fight against the High King."

---

After the scouts confirm that the way back is clear, Garuum invites everyone to a feast. The fish, as the chieftain claimed, are quite hearty, and the boiled marsh spider legs are surprisingly sweet and tender once the outer carapace is removed. The Anura are happy to have visitors and seem abundantly interested in every little detail about the Barony of the Glades. They listen with wonder at stories of your homelands, with bewilderment and anger at the tyranny of the High King, and with righteous fury at the tale of how you overthrew Lyone and began establishing a new home for yourselves. Ranna is still treated with some suspicion, but a number of anura seem interested in joining her in accompanying the rest of you back to the wooded parts of the Glade.

---

It takes several weeks, but under Lilith's watchful eyes trade between Haven and Swamphome begins. Caravans of Anura with domesticated riding lizards carry packs laden with plants and animal products from the swamps, which they eagerly trade for crops and metal. With some effort on Firgud's part, Camp Wasp is re-established as a location for human, dwarf, and anura troops to practice and train together. Stout of body and with unparalleled mobility in the swamps, the anura make a welcome addition to the Glades' armed forces. As attention turns towards the Iskar Temple in the southwest swamps, Camp Pig becomes a vital location for trained anura troops. Meanwhile in the Stormlash Necrohol, Sra is hard at work using the scavenged pieces of the red dragon corpse together with the solidified heart of Iskaranura to assemble an effective counterspell against the spectral dragon. Progress is slow, but steady, and Maeve is able to put her talents to use assisting the blind iskar shaman- perhaps the dragon-heart fragment in her own body gives the Stormlash scion an advantage. Ranna sticks close to Brianna, and she professes her admiration of the former noble knight. She becomes the subject of some light-hearted ridicule among the deserters, and is sometimes referred to as "Antinea's Froggy Shadow". Due to her proximity with the Barony's Marshal of the Realm, Ranna becomes something of an ambassador for the Anura tribe as a whole, though of all the new activities available to her she's most interested in sword-fighting, and beseeches Brianna to instruct her.

Lastly, Jormund is up to his ears in reports. While Magnus handles the benign and boring parts of managing the land, Baron Fire-Stone is left to handle the various missives and meetings with agents of the Uncrowned Prince and Queen of Magic. Nothing but bad news seems to come from the Boldergirns- the majority of the dwarven population has been forced into servitude mining and working the forges. Every last scrap of metal, including treasured heirlooms and cultural artifacts, is being melted down and forged into armor and weapons for the High King's armies. The few families of dwarven nobles that willingly bent the knee for the King, such as the Coppersmiths, are living lives of extravagance and luxury at the expense of the rest of the population. They're joined by several human noble families that have established residences in the mountains, Brianna's family, the Antinea, among them. A small but determined group of freedom fighters remains, assisted by agents of the Prince and Queen, but the High King is growing increasingly aggressive at his attempts to stamp them out. Unsettling rumors abound of a legion of heavily-armored humans seeking out the rebels. They never seem to sleep, and their eyes glow past their face-concealing helms.

The Queen of Magic is marshaling her forces- nearly every elf capable of holding a bow is practicing their aim, though the Mongrel Lord seems to be stepping up attacks on her woods. The envoys sent to the Dragon Council on the Queen's behalf have produced few results, but apparently the Council is starting to break apart into factions. The majority opinion among the dragons seems to favor neutrality, but they're losing ground compared to the growing number who believe conflict, either with the High King or with the Queen and Prince, is inevitable. The Ghostly Lady remains under the High King's thumb, her followers allowed to worship as they desire, but there's a growing current of unease. The High King has restricted travel for the Lady's followers throughout the Kingdom of Peridia "for their own safety", and some fear the worst. The Lady herself has grown quieter, dispensing her prophetic wisdom at a much slower pace than before. Yet, her followers speak increasingly of visions and dreams of the Distant Gods, one even claimed to have discovered one of the Gods' names! The Dark Figure, as always, remains inscrutable.

It's becoming increasingly clear that things are starting to reach a turning point, but before Jormund can concern himself with more worldly matters, scouts from Camp Pig report activity in the southwestern swamps. Strange beings that resemble the Iskar, but twisted and warped, are emerging from the temple. The time to deal with Iskaranura seems to have finally arrived.

I've written some broad-stroke situations for the rest of you to flesh out, if you'd like. Roughly two months has passed between the battle with the gnolls and the Iskar sightings. And to get everyone back up to speed on this game, everyone levels up! Yeah I know you only had one fight at level 4, so what?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Firgud Rigiron

Shuffling some feats to be more offense focused. I can still heal... I'm just more focused on throwing out hit harders and try agains.
Throwing my next Icon Dice at the Uncrowned Prince

Firgud stomped around the clearing of Camp Pig. He had to, if he stood still for too long his golem body would sink into the muddy earth on the edge of the swamp. Soldiers of a distressing variety of shapes and sizes worked on bulwarks and drilled while Firgud groused at an Anura he picked out to be responsible for the Barony's new auxiliaries.

"Sergeant Tui, I understand body differences. If you think human legs are inadequate, imagine dwarf legs in comparison! But there's just not that many of you, and unless you want the 'hairy ones' to drown in two feet of mud, you're going to have to help them with mobility. You have permission to work them as hard as you need to, but you are expected to DO the work, understood?

Now, get in touch with Cross. The work order for the prototype Anura armors is back from Haven and I want you to break them in. Dismissed, Sergeant."

The burly Anura hopped away, leaving Firgud, still pacing a divot in the soft earth. With Iskar activity, he'd had to recall a number of reconnaissance and guard forces from the front with Boldirgirm. With the Peridians occupied with various resistance forces, those forces could be used against the Iskar, in the hope that they could be dealt with decisively and eliminate any opportunistic attacks from the rear. A solid plan, but it revolved around speed, and the Anura would be paramount for this.

If, of course, the Iskar's blood magic could be adequately countered.

Firgud stamps over to a tent and walks in. He's greeted with a flurry of salutes which Firgud stonily returns. He's getting better at controlling the golem body at least.
"Captain Tumerlin, latest reports on the Iskar please. Numbers, strength, and something concrete about whatever 'twisted and warped' means."

Int + Former General + Grand General: 1d20+5+6+2+5 24 for intel reports

Icon Dice: 2d6 2,1 1d6 6 1d6 4
So that's a 6 with the Ghostly Lady.

pre:
Firgud Rigiron
Stats			Recharge
HP 64/64 (00)		[ ][ ]Battle Captain
PD 15			[ ]ATS (16+)	
MD 21			[ ]Buck Up!(16+)
Recoveries 8/8 (5d8+1)		Command Points: 2
Melee: 1d20+4+ED; 5d6-2

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 21, 2017

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Lilith Avorena

Lilith spent the next several weeks being pulled every which way at once, and she couldn't help but enjoy it. Once the broad strokes of their agreement with the Anura were settled, then came the implementation, and here her skills were in high demand. Ironically, most of her troubles came from the Barony - she had to keep a very watchful eye on 'her' merchants to make sure they did not try to take advantage of the comparatively naive Anura. Their instinct for short-term profit was strong, but she knew when things had settled down, the long view would ultimately be more successful.

On top of that, she was honing her own magical skills with a new project, that of permanently improving her current wand. It took a great deal of research, but she had found that in attuning her spells to simple magi-economic principles, as the Barony's trade network grew, so did her understanding of magic. Ultimately, it culminated in a lengthy but successful ritual performed in solitude under the light of the full moon. She wasn't sure if it was an omen, a coincidence, or a deliberate response that the very next day she received a delegation of elven wizards looking to set up a satellite campus of sorts, but skilled mages are worth their weight in platinum, and it was not hard to get them permission. While their new partnership had not yet borne fruit, Lilith knew it'd just be a matter of time.

Icon Die: The Queen of Magic: 1d6 2

Upgrading Wand of Corrected Devastation to Champion tier.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Brianna Antinea

Brianna was used to waking up at the break of dawn, but today she had woken up even earlier than usual. Her dreams had been troubling her ever since that alliance had been forged with the demon. She couldn't help but feel worried that in their attempt to save as many lives as possible they had instead damned everyone that followed their cause.

Unable to go back to sleep, Brianna walked up to the east-facing window in her residence on the upper floor of the Council building in Haven. It was still mostly dark outside, with only the faintest promise of the coming dawn on the horizon past the overcast sky. It wasn't all bad to wake up earlier than intended though, she thought. It gave her some precious time to be alone with nothing but her own thoughts before yet another busy day began. She stood there in the window for a while, watching the town and the shimmering lake beyond as the sky began to brighten. She searched in vain for some sort of sign from the gods, but they remained as quiet as ever. Still, the sight made her feel at peace. It made her forget about the reports from Boldirgirn and Peridia for a moment too... Just what was her family up to? She considered writing to her father, but wondered if he would even care to reply. Then again, not getting an answer is an answer in of itself.

Before she has a chance to start drafting a letter in her head she's interrupted by the sound of floorboards creaking behind her and a muffled croak on the other side of her door. She casts another glance at the rising sun and can't help but smile to herself. "Up already, Ranna?" She calls out through the door. "You must be more than an hour early. We might as well get started then." After throwing on some clothes Brianna rummages through a chest for the blunt training sword she herself had used many years ago then opens the door. "Good morning. Are you ready for your first lesson?"

Brianna did not mind that she had one day acquired a "Froggy Shadow", in fact she had rather come to appreciate Ranna's company. She saw some of herself in the brave Anura that dared to stand up against Garuum. So when Ranna asked her to teach her swordsmanship Brianna answered that she would gladly do so, on one condition. Ranna would act the part of a squire, and in return Brianna would teach her not just to master the sword, but everything she herself had been taught when she was a squire.

The first lesson with the sword, of course, did not involve actually using it much. She taught her eager student about what the sword represents, about the responsibility placed upon you when you carried something by your side which was meant for only one single purpose. To take lives. Only after she was confident that Ranna understood the gravity of what she was about to learn did Brianna grant her the blunt blade to carry at her side, with the promise that once she had mastered the basics — of all the disciplines she was to be taught in — she would receive a sharpened sword.

In the two months to follow she made good progress towards that goal.

Nothing much exciting going on at level 5 for me since I'm a multiclass. I picked up a new maneuver and its champion feat which should make me a bit more durable, an area where I was clearly lacking.

Increasing my negative relationship with the High King.
Icon Rolls (High King -2, Uncrowned Prince ~1, Ghostly Lady +1): 2#1d6 4 4 1d6 3 1d6 5

Hmm, I guess I'll keep the 6 I already had with the Uncrowned Prince instead of taking the 5 with the Ghostly Lady. I will not use it to upgrade my sword either, seeing where it came from I'd rather replace it at some point down the line instead.

pre:
Brianna Antinea
Stats		  Powers			Maneuvers
HP 88/88 	  { } Smite [ ][ ][ ]	Bash! (Odd roll or any hit /w shield)
AC 25		  { } Bash Daze	 	Deadly Assault (Even hit)
PD 18		  { } Bastion		Punish Them (Even roll /w opportunity attack)
MD 19		  { } Surprising	{ } Steady Now (Odd roll)
Re 10/10 (5d10+6) [ ] Inspire (16+)	Taunt (Odd roll)

Peridian Officer's Sword and Shield +9 vs. AC — 5d8+7 Damage
Claymore +8 vs. AC — 5d10+6 Damage

Passive/Out of turn Effects
Threatening: Enemies take -3 penalty to disengage. If they fail they suffer 6 damage.
Counter-Attack: Once per round, when an enemy misses me with a natural odd melee attack roll,
	make a basic melee attack against that enemy as a free action.
Punish Them: On a natural even hit with an opportunity attack, the target is dazed until the
	end of its turn. If it was moving, it stops and loses the rest of its move action.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jormund has been busy.

There's not much else to say about it. The life of a true ruler is not one of relaxation and leisure - nor, for that matter, is the life of a true dwarf going off how much he talks about it. Treaties to sign. Paperwork to fill. Speeches to give (well, that part was easy - and fun!). Jormund's main job the past two months has simply been ensuring the barony grows and that it remains without overt turmoil inside. Any crack between his people could be exploited. Ensuring the dwarves and humans got along was more then just the right thing to do - it was common sense leadership.

Beyond that, however, he's been doing something far more sinister. Something he could've never FULLY come up with on his own - no, he needed Lilith's help.

He's been advertising.

Not all trade is legal. As a true and proper dwarf, naturally Jormund doesn't fuss about with such affairs. But he knows that they exist.

If word of his barony is being whispered about elsewhere, then it is word of a land of freedom and plenty. Just because he doesn't know the first thing about illicit black markets doesn't mean he doesn't know the first thing about looking good. While Lilith is, naturally, the one in charge of managing trade and dealing with the black markets, she was given a few specific directives. Make sure they see how good things are going is before you kick them out. Humans and dwarves and anura and even the occasional elf all living together peacefully. No High King. No dread specters. No soldiers stomping into your house and making demands. No rebellions. No tyranny. It was a knife made of public relations aimed directly at the High King - the promise not just of a better life, but that he wasn't needed. Nor was this only aimed at him. Let the followers of the Ghostly Lady know which rulers TRULY had their best interests in mind. Let the myriad wizards and sorcerers and whatnot amongst the humans know that there was a land where they could research in peace and not be forced into the military. If he could not personally send an army out to fight the High King, he'd do the next best thing: recruit one from inside the High King's own lands. If a simple dwarf could keep the peace, why couldn't the lord and scion of all humanity?

Of course, not much can happen in just two months (unless far, far too much happens in two months), but for now, he was content with nestling into his new job of being a prickly little thorn in the High King's side. After all, any pressure he could take off his kinsmen in chains was pressure he'd happily put on himself.

He was preparing for a meeting with Maeve to discuss how to do the same for the dragons when word of the strange Iskar arrive. A shame. That branch of diplomacy would have to wait.

Gaining negative relationship with the High King; after all, Jormund is a whole lot less ignorable now
ICONS (+Prince, +Prince, /Queen, -King): 4#1d6 1 1 2 2
Jormund is, in fact, entirely just as ignorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Maeve of the Stormlash

Before Garuum's arrival

"The Stormlash bow to no one, Brianna. Whatever they claim to be. There are those who see wisdom in the words spoken by the Lady are her followers, but I myself never put much stock in the words of non-violence her priests so loved to tout. Survival in the Stormsteppes is not done with words and farming, it is by marauders like me going out and taking what we must, from the lives wild beasts to the stores of the goblin dens."

After the conversation and arrival of Garuum

It doesn't take the ability to read thoughts to know perfectly well what Maeve's thinking. Her expression of barely contained fury forces exactly what she wishes to do through her ferocious gaze, locked on the large eyes of the demon-controlled frog man. Finally, after what only could be an eternity, she states simply "If you are seen near Stormlash lands, I will kill you." Suddenly, the dragon corpse lurches up, swinging its fetid head to loom over Maeve. The moment hangs before hands rush to weapons, before Maeve shouts "Stormlash! We're leaving!" and turns to march into the swamp, the dead dragon turning to follow.
~~~
During the two months, the work on the nercohol continues. It's a surprise to some when Maeve comes to Lilith. "I... Maybe... Nnnnnneed to..." The skeleton beside her places its bony hand on her shoulder.

"Maeve." the ghostly voice of Rook emanates out of the skull, strange and almost distant but still firm.

"...Fine. I need to work. There are things that I cannot scavenge from the ruins and haven't the time to run a quarry, lumbermill, hunt, and rebuild. Never mind preserve a dragon's carcass or provide whatever Sra requires for her... rituals. Also, if you could look for some books or, knowledge of necromancy, I think I've learned all I can from Rook."

"Quite," the skeletal form of Rook picks up where Maeve leaves off, "Though I know many secrets of magickal arts, as each Arcaster before me they primarily lie in the domain of lightning aspected magic. And while I'm sure Maeve would find a great many use for wielding such magic, she simply lacks the talent for it. But on this topic, Lady Avorena, I had hoped to speak with you. I would ask for some blank tomes, vellum, and other utensils, that I might ensure that I will not be the last to walk the world of the living with the knowledge of generations of Stormlash arcanists. I would of course compensate you with the knowledge as well."

In short order Lilith leaps at the problem of Maeve seeking employment with a ferocity beyond which the Stormlash have witnessed and Maeve and a coterie of undead are put to work performing various less than desireable tasks, where the undead's inhuman fortitude and incessant work shame the efforts of mortals. As two months draw to a close, the work on a workshop within the ruin's basement finishes, permeated with a deep chill and containing a multitude of tools dedicated to the arcane and alchemical, and enclosed within is the rotting red dragon corpse.

Icon Dice (HK2, GL1, DC1): 4#1d6 3 5 5 5 Gonna be lit. Everyone has an eye on the necromancer with a dragon corpse.

pre:
Maeve of Stormlash
HP: 64/64   THP ()   Lay On Hands: 2/2  Recoveries: 8/8 (5d8+2)   Initiative: +10
AC 22     PD 17     MD 19
Two Handed Mace (MBA): 1d20+8+ED; 5d8+6, 5 Miss
Shortbow (RBA): 1d20+6+ED; 5d6+2

Encounter			Daily/Recharge
[ ]Savage Lash                  [ ][ ]Savage Lash Daily
				[ ][ ]Lay On Hands
				[ ]Summon Undead III
				[ ]Zombie Form III
				[ ]Wave of Decay
				[ ]Summon Horror III
				[ ]Negative Energy Shield III
				[ ]Ghoul Form