Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just finished Dune Messiah and I'm starting Children of Dune next. is the movie worth a poo poo or should I just watch Jodorowsky's Dune and pretend that was the movie that got made?

I wanted to use the Hot tag but y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I hear God Emperor is a pretty good book.

The BLT
Jan 3, 2008
Do you know the sandwhich man?
Just watch the director's cut. We all know you arent so busy you cant spare a few hours. Its worth it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
lynch's dune is worth it just for seeing sting in a codpiece.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I liked Lynch's Dune movie but haven't read any of the books

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have heard it is good-but-weird which sounds fine to me. Everything post-God Emperor is supposed to be crap

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dreezy posted:

lynch's dune is worth it just for seeing sting in a codpiece.

This is tempting!!

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I liked the children of dune miniseries more because james mcavoy was in it

The book was okay, they definitely get weirder and badder from that point on though

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I remember seeing Dune in the theater and they were handing out crib notes to the audience so you'd know what all the words meant. "Bene gesserit," and such.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Heath posted:

I just finished Dune Messiah and I'm starting Children of Dune next. is the movie worth a poo poo or should I just watch Jodorowsky's Dune and pretend that was the movie that got made?

I wanted to use the Hot tag but y'know.

The movie (Lynch movie) suffers from a lack of context. Since you've read Dune, I think you might enjoy it. Whenever I watch it with friends who haven't seen it, whether they enjoy it or not hinges on my willingness to explain some of the more bewildering things that are never elaborated on, and with the book in your mind you should have all that context to enjoy it.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

every dune book except the first one (and maybe the second) are the worst books ever

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The movie is good. Especially if you like the gay 80s.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lucky Guy posted:

every dune book except the first one (and maybe the second) are the worst books ever

you say this in a world where Piers Anthony is still alive

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lucky Guy posted:

Don't listen to this pendejo. Pray for his castration holmes

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*slides off sofa and colapses in heap on the floor*
nahhh

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

I remember seeing Dune in the theater and they were handing out crib notes to the audience so you'd know what all the words meant. "Bene gesserit," and such.

sounds extremely useful in a dark theater

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I liked the movie

Lucky Guy posted:

I've only read the original Dune and The Butlerian Jihad but I thought the latter was pretty neat.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

God Emperor of Dune raped my dog and killed my dog

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lynch Dune isn't a great movie but it is extremely interesting.

You should definitely watch Jodorowsky's Dune though

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
*shrugs* I like God Emperor, although I'd never blame anyone who liked the first 3 and didn't because it's a jarring change of setting/tone/style.

It's Heretics/Heretics where everything goes completely off the rails and then never gets resolved/comes together because Herbert died.

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (for both this and his many other crimes against literature) can both go die in a well.

Serak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005
i like the floating man.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do the twins end up loving

Is this where it's going

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A picture of Patrick Stewart taken last week

Oh pardon me that was thirty two years ago oops

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Duncan Idaho is a quality name IMO.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The BLT posted:

Just watch the director's cut. We all know you arent so busy you cant spare a few hours. Its worth it.

Which one is the cut with the old guy doing the narration and all the lackluster art transitions?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
The pre prequel books kick rear end. The son is a better writer than his dad.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

The movie (Lynch movie) suffers from a lack of context. Since you've read Dune, I think you might enjoy it. Whenever I watch it with friends who haven't seen it, whether they enjoy it or not hinges on my willingness to explain some of the more bewildering things that are never elaborated on, and with the book in your mind you should have all that context to enjoy it.

That or you watch when you're ten and it's the most amazing thing ever.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Reading dune at this point is like getting into pokemon in your 20s.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Tony Homo posted:

The pre prequel books kick rear end. The son is a better writer than his dad.

I thought they were ok.

The original book is a tad overrated. The mid to last half feels rushed as gently caress.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

amusinginquiry posted:

I liked the children of dune miniseries more because james mcavoy was in it

The book was okay, they definitely get weirder and badder from that point on though

Frank should have stopped after the first three books. I guess he had some contractual obligation to keep churning them out.
Also, Brian Herbert should have been drowned at birth. His books are basically Dune: The Fanfiction.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the books are in declining quality. Some people love god emperor despite there being a minimal amount of narrative and the rest being a herbert self insert talking about nothing particularly interesting but which i am sure herbert and people with brain damage think is insanely deep. Obviously i thought it was insanely bad.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't get people into genre fiction. Read a real book you dumb nerds.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I honestly don't get people into genre fiction. Read a real book you dumb nerds.

Dune is a real book. I don't like 'genre fiction' for the most part either. But Dune is a sincerely good book that is both out of step in quality for its era and the genre as a whole. HTH

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The sci fi elements are mostly just a backdrop, at least in the first book. This is the only sci fi book I've read actually

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

The original book is a tad overrated. The mid to last half feels rushed as gently caress.

the villain being an impossibly fat pedophile was funny

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

Dune is a real book. I don't like 'genre fiction' for the most part either. But Dune is a sincerely good book that is both out of step in quality for its era and the genre as a whole. HTH

No it's not. Sorry Stockholm syndrome has you eating poo poo for breakfast and you like it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No it's not. Sorry Stockholm syndrome has you eating poo poo for breakfast and you like it.

dont be a bitch bro

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the villain being an impossibly fat pedophile was funny

The role Orson Welles was born to play, but alas

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:love: dune lady

Jodorowsky's Dune was a good watch, albeit kind of depressing