Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Season 21 of Dancing with the Stars is a new and original idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the anime industry sounds hosed up, once it's less hosed up by merit of the unfucked studios gaining more success, things will probably improve, but for now it remains dominated by companies who treat their employees like poo poo and, surprise surprise, end up churning out poo poo

in the coming decades i think we might see a fair number of studios shutting their doors for good since the old guard who buys all sorts of poo poo will fade away and the newer, exceptionally less consumerist and more financially stingy generations start to be the main audience

i'm also still of the opinion that the current financing model of entertainment doesn't really work and in the future things will operate on a kickstarter style, where the audience chooses what gets funded or not - this will tend to lead to way way less anime (and by extension most other media) actually getting produced, but what does end up funded will hopefully be much higher quality

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alvin and the chipmunks 3 is well-produced art, unlike one-punch man

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Tell me more about how hipsters are the ones who run things now

have you ever read the AV Club?

quote:

What exactly is caring about polish and production values in The Big Bang Theory, the most watched show on television?

like i said TV is pretty bad about this as well. in media as a whole though there's a definite trend towards better craft/production values though

Endorph posted:

american media churns out superhero movies and reboots

and the anime industry makes valkyrie drive and LN shows. i'd rather watch the superhero shows than that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't know why you're equating indie/hipster with quality but i wish you'd stop

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

in the future things will operate on a kickstarter style, where the audience chooses what gets funded or not - this will tend to lead to way way less anime (and by extension most other media) actually getting produced, but what does end up funded will hopefully be much higher quality

that sounds awful tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

that sounds awful tbh

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The easiest western comparison to LNs is YA lit

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

steven universe literally steals half its shots from utena

are you like some sort of taintreaper for anime

basically

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

i don't know why you're equating indie/hipster with quality but i wish you'd stop

they don't have to be the same thing in theory but most of the time what i'm talking about in western media today is both

Srice posted:

even YA movies are better than like heavy object or valkyrie drive

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

do YA books try to constantly outdo each other in grossness and don't answer that question

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and it seems like that model would lead to way more pandering, not less. the current model allows for surprise successes or something that suddenly takes the world by storm even without any real 'hook' that draws people in. with that model you'd have to be pandering from the word go and desperately trying to sell yourself. as kickstarter shows, the best way to be successful is to either use an established franchise (the shenmue kickstarter), have a known name attached to your project (bloodstained, mighty no. 9), or invoke an established franchise without being a direct sequel (pillars of eternity)

And kickstarter is fine for those projects, but if it became the sole method of things getting produced, that'd be all you'd get. Nobody would want to kick in 15 dollars sight unseen unless they could be reasonably sure it'd be something they'd enjoy, and the best way to be sure of that is if they have some sort of familiarity. Random projects by young, fresh faces would completely dry up. More than that, things would be way more binary. There'd be no room for 'well, our blu-ray sales were pretty crap, but we made a lot of money on merch and drama CDs, so the fans we do have seem very dedicated. things balanced out in the end,' because if you fail immediately, the thing never exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

even YA movies are better than like heavy object or valkyrie drive
tbh heavy object is way better than ready player one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

and the anime industry makes valkyrie drive and LN shows. i'd rather watch the superhero shows than that

I'd rather watch LN anime like humanity has declined and spice & wolf than agents of shield or w/e

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

the anime industry sounds hosed up, once it's less hosed up by merit of the unfucked studios gaining more success, things will probably improve, but for now it remains dominated by companies who treat their employees like poo poo and, surprise surprise, end up churning out poo poo

in the coming decades i think we might see a fair number of studios shutting their doors for good since the old guard who buys all sorts of poo poo will fade away and the newer, exceptionally less consumerist and more financially stingy generations start to be the main audience

i'm also still of the opinion that the current financing model of entertainment doesn't really work and in the future things will operate on a kickstarter style, where the audience chooses what gets funded or not - this will tend to lead to way way less anime (and by extension most other media) actually getting produced, but what does end up funded will hopefully be much higher quality

i mean this is mostly a problem of the japanese domestic market imploding as the country wastes away into the aether. i think the best path forwards for the anime industry is making stuff for a mainstream american audience, which i guess is why i keep harping on the benefits of switching to a more similar model to how american media now works

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i mean this is mostly a problem of the japanese domestic market imploding as the country wastes away into the aether. i think the best path forwards for the anime industry is making stuff for a mainstream american audience, which i guess is why i keep harping on the benefits of switching to a more similar model to how american media now works
oh my god

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

and it seems like that model would lead to way more pandering, not less. the current model allows for surprise successes or something that suddenly takes the world by storm even without any real 'hook' that draws people in. with that model you'd have to be pandering from the word go and desperately trying to sell yourself. as kickstarter shows, the best way to be successful is to either use an established franchise (the shenmue kickstarter), have a known name attached to your project (bloodstained, mighty no. 9), or invoke an established franchise without being a direct sequel (pillars of eternity)

And kickstarter is fine for those projects, but if it became the sole method of things getting produced, that'd be all you'd get. Nobody would want to kick in 15 dollars sight unseen unless they could be reasonably sure it'd be something they'd enjoy, and the best way to be sure of that is if they have some sort of familiarity. Random projects by young, fresh faces would completely dry up. More than that, things would be way more binary. There'd be no room for 'well, our blu-ray sales were pretty crap, but we made a lot of money on merch and drama CDs, so the fans we do have seem very dedicated. things balanced out in the end,' because if you fail immediately, the thing never exists.

i'm thinking less kickstarter and more just making shows for netflix

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even when i dont post in imp zone, my taint still gets reaped

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You can't just say that western TV doesn't count. It's the most directly comparable market. Video games and comics don't have to put out an episode a week for 26 weeks

Also, tell us more about how Japan is wasting away

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please stop engaging with the GBS troll

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

You can't just say that western TV doesn't count. It's the most directly comparable market. Video games and comics don't have to put out an episode a week for 26 weeks

Also, tell us more about how Japan is wasting away

anime companies don't have to put out an episode every week either. nobody's holding a gun to their head and demanding they produce garbage

and as for japan wasting away:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sorry about your thread, OP.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I hate anime...
But... maybe I can learn to love anime?
Maybe it's okay for me to like anime?
That's right.... it's anime, nothing more, nothing less
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!
And it's okay for me to watch anime!!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

anime companies don't have to put out an episode every week either. nobody's holding a gun to their head and demanding they produce garbage

and as for japan wasting away:

Mark Twain posted:

In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upwards of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together, and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

i'm sure the inscrutable oriental has some sort of trick up his sleeve

why are you arguing with this guy

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

K. Flaps posted:

Sorry about your thread, OP.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Tarranon posted:

the latino game is amazingly powerful..what's more, they're in a great position to grow stronger yet in the years ahead

i suspect the whole american preoccupation with hyper focusing on the kinkier poo poo Japan does is based at least in part on orientalism.

how do people react to that stuff where you are? do you just laugh it off like we do here? or does it just not come up unless someone actually likes it.

I think Orientalism is an interesting *in Zizek voice* ideology. People believe they have something to gain by setting themselves as the opposite of the other half of the world. So if the west is the bastion of feminism necessarily the Orient is not, seeking out any of the hosed up poo poo in the industry is just confirming what they already know. Doesn't really matter that Sazae-san, the longest running anime of all time, is about a feminist etc. What I'm trying to say is that Orientalism by Edward Said is a good book

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm going to answer the op seriously and I hope I don't regret it.

As someone who avoided anime like the plague until almost two years ago now I'll offer my thoughts. I never really watched anime when I was younger aside from pokemon and DBZ but I decided I wanted to grow up one day and stopped watching them. Anime didn't really come onto my radar until I was in high school and the really weird and socially awkward people would talk way too loudly about it. So I made the connection between weirdos and anime and never payed much attention to them. I remember they talked about Hetalia a lot and which characters totally wanted to date each other and whatever. It was also around this time I started spending more time on the Internet and the people who really liked anime there were also pretty weird and always talked about gross incest stuff and sexist poo poo which soured my perception on it even more.

When I first started watching anime my previous experiences with it made it so that I was really embarrassed about it. Of course now I know that was really dumb and it was nothing to be embarrassed about but my previous misconceptions about it were that strong. Now if someone asked me about anime I would say that I watch it but I don't go out of my way to talk about anime with people that aren't really into it. Much like other things, there are topics that are more appropriate depending on the person.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...
I watch anime.
I want to watch anime...
I want to watch anime!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

As someone who avoided anime like the plague until almost two years ago now I'll offer my thoughts. I never really watched anime when I was younger aside from pokemon and DBZ but I decided I wanted to grow up one day and stopped watching them. Anime didn't really come onto my radar until I was in high school and the really weird and socially awkward people would talk way too loudly about it. So I made the connection between weirdos and anime and never payed much attention to them. I remember they talked about Hetalia a lot and which characters totally wanted to date each other and whatever. It was also around this time I started spending more time on the Internet and the people who really liked anime there were also pretty weird and always talked about gross incest stuff and sexist poo poo which soured my perception on it even more.

When I first started watching anime my previous experiences with it made it so that I was really embarrassed about it. Of course now I know that was really dumb and it was nothing to be embarrassed about but my previous misconceptions about it were that strong. Now if someone asked me about anime I would say that I watch it but I don't go out of my way to talk about anime with people that aren't really into it. Much like other things, there are topics that are more appropriate depending on the person.

Sincerity is good so I hope you have no regrets about this post!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Goldilocks finds three lists for good anime in the bears’ house

The first list is completely empty. ‘Anime is bad! Don’t watch it’ it says. ‘No anime feels will be found here.’
Goldilocks: There is not enough anime on this list to last me any amount of time

Then she looked at the next list. It was too long… filled with spin offs and terrible non-canon characters
Goldilocks shook her head…. This asked for more time than she was willing to put in to watching anime

Then she saw the third list, filled with classic anime characters and series, but without filler seasons included out of sentiment and misguided fanboyism
Goldlocks: this is the anime list I will use to guide my future anime watching

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

It's more an economic thing. Like, let's be real here, if you are paying to watch anime you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart because in many cases it's way easier to watch streaming sites or torrent them than it is to actually watch the show in its official release. It's nice that producers can make money that way but I wouldn't exactly trust my fiscal security on the grace and thanksgiving of people on the internet. Hence why I don't think the model of 'pay for digital content that already exists' can really work in the long run, but 'pay in order for that digital content to exist in the first place' is a lot more feasible. You can't exactly pirate what doesn't yet exist, after all.

There has to be a level of prior investiture for a production to exist in the current day, obviously - that's what investors do for a living. It's just that where in the past the consumers and the investors were two totally different entities, now it is way more viable for them to become one and the same. It is very true this runs into problems all on its own, where the big name stars are the only ones who get all the attention and the little guys have to cry in the corner but uh I don't know if you've noticed but it's already mostly like that anyway. I think this maybe has a little more of a chance for said small time guys anyway? Like in the current system if they're like 'hey can we have 900 bucks to make our short' they'll be told to gently caress off by most investors or be forced to take a loan where they end up paying about six times that. A public patronage model where people browse what they might want to see coming next season or year makes it a lot more likely the small independent people can get anything going. It'll still be skewed towards 'hi I used to make Mega Man give me millions of dollars' but it's a much bigger equalizer since the patronage model makes the history of the producers and what they actually do in their products much more transparent and open to criticism and complaints being made public, while if a smaller company consistently puts out well-recieved content then they accrue popularity and praise and have proved their talent to where bigger and more expensive endeavors can be trusted in their hands.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Endorph posted:

idk dude, why do we need to acknowledge the bad? some anime is weird sex poo poo. it doesn't really bother anyone because if you don't want weird sex in your anime there is plenty of anime without it, and most anime are pretty upfront about their weird sex poo poo. some anime is sexist, but i don't think 'has boobs' and 'is sexist' are the same thing, and some random mecha show having a really hosed up portrayal of women doesn't reflect on anything but that one show.

also you quoted the post, so you still gave me your power

I'm going to be dealing with Lundi gras stuff for a while so I can't address all these fine points at the moment...just wanted 2 say I gave my power willingly....in the future, maybe there will be a great need

in the meantime I hope everything is going nice and it's been a good chat okay love you thread, bye!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

:same:

I am an old (36) and have been an anime fan since I was a kid and didn't know what it was. Since I live in a pretty rural area I didn't encounter too many anime fans in the wild until I went to college where I did meet a few of the typical "anime club" fans but didn't spend much time around them because they were a little too intense for me. I've never aggressively put out an ANIME FAN identity but have occasionally worn an anime t-shirt, have attended cons in the past, and don't make a big secret of watching it either. The people I work with know I like anime and most of them have enough passing experience with it at this point that it's not a hugely foreign thing like it used to be. Mostly I just talk about anime online though, here and on a private board with a few close friends.

As far as creepy stuff goes, I've read enough trashy garbage myself that I don't begrudge people their personal tastes however filthy they might be. However, I think people should have some self-awareness regarding what they talk about in public/on the open internet and maybe not broadcast that they're really into the creepy stuff. You like what you like but nobody else needs to know that poo poo. It's easy to fall into oversharing mode in a relaxed atmosphere like current ADTRW though, and I'm guilty of it myself, having posted things and then think ehhh maybe I'd rather not have people know I like that. At least regret it though -- don't just blab about whatever gross thing you're into and expect others to support it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Everything Burrito posted:

At least regret it though -- don't just blab about whatever gross thing you're into and expect others to support it.

i think this is probably the best message to take away from this thread

it is okay to like anime. it is even okay to like weird and pervy anime if that's your thing. you should, however, realize where the line is drawn depending on your current company. go ahead and talk about one-punch man with your coworkers but you should probably refrain from going into a diatribe on My Octopus Cream Fantasy Incest Extraordinaire. normal people realize this! weird people do not and would probably still be talking about weird and creepy poo poo to people who really don't want to talk about them even if they've never heard of anime.

tl;dr hate the playa not the game

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I used to post on a nerdy forum that had a ton of people who really hated anime and couldn't abide its presence. nowadays it's chock full of anime fanfics. this extremely scientific survey supports the idea that young people don't care about last generation's culture wars.

w/r/t anime and ```social justice```, while anime can be hosed up in a lot of ways it is hosed up in different ways to american stuff, and also has things like utena which just don't have a parallel on american tv (there's steven universe I guess but that's very recent and is chock full of utena references for a reason). you can't just put 'america' and 'japan' on a line of increasing X-ism therefore increasing media badness. also people doing so and ranting about the degenerate japanese is super common and racist as heck so naturally will play badly with people who don't like racism.

Peel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 8, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't loving read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

.jpg posted:

I hate anime...