Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I admit I don't talk much about anime and manga with people in real life, but I got the impression that the anti-anime/manga backlash was almost exclusive to Something Awful.

I do agree that anime fans have no sense of appropriate boundaries sometimes, but I think they're better about it than they used to be.

it's pretty common at least on the internet at large / among 'nerds' at large

IMO a big part of it is because anime targets women and children much more than the american nerddom, which tends to enrage a certain subset of the standard 40 year old adult male audience of sci-fi/fantasy/DC comics stuff. Another part of it is different corporate structure means that there's no financial incentive for american nerd media to care about japanese stuff, so it tends to be unfamiliar to most people. Another part of it is simple casual racism/orientalism.

and then of course there are real/legitimate/justified complaints about sexism or gross stuff. IMO those aren't nearly enough to explain the total level of hostility towards japanese stuff, but it is significant, and i don't want to dismiss those complaints

as for anime fans IRL, actually a very large proportion of people I know, and I'm pretty young, are fans of anime stuff. i think the reflexive hostility is less among younger people

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also part of it is because of the comparative lack of indie/artsy stuff / a lack of a certain level of polish in anime. It still exists but it's not a movement to nearly the extent of like video games or comic books over the last few years. That's not really that big a problem in my eyes because I know enough / care enough to find the diamonds in the rough but it's part of why more prestigious media doesn't care about or is hostile to anime

Endorph posted:

quote this post in order to gather all our energy, to dismiss those complaints

Endorph posted:

not to mention there's kind of the inherent problem of trying to judge japanese media through a western lens of sexism. like what reads as sexist to you isn't going to read as sexist even to the most hardcore feminist in japan, because feminism in japan is different from feminism in the west. likewise, something that reads as cool to you could read as really hosed up to a jp lady.

im not saying that means all animes are immune from criticism, im pretty sure valkyrie drive or the anime about the ninja whose boobs get bigger as her power level increases aren't going to win women the right to vote no matter where you're from, but going all 'tut-tut, anime would be great if it was less sexist to me, the dude from vermont' is weird

i think a lot of complaints about sexism in japanese media are justified (i'm sorry, my ultimate loyalty is with the revolution, not anime :ussr:) but there's a definite double standard where people don't care at all about stuff like DC comics glorifying literal fascism or gears of war having all the female characters shipped off to rape camps as part of the in-canon story but like naruto gets ripped a new rear end in a top hat for sexism because the female characters aren't active enough and there's the occasional lame, inoffensive boob joke

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 8, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

1. What even is "a lack of a certain level of polish"
2. Where's all the indie/artsy western television

1. Bad animation / writing / production values / having a show that does one thing well but everything else is minimum effort because the audience only cares about that one thing so why bother

2. TV, especially network TV has a lot of that problem but I think you're seeing more shows with better production values / more polish. Like Breaking Bad, the Sopranos, Mad Men, etc. I'm not really a TV guy though so I don't know that much about this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

this absolutely happens in tv, film, and western animation. like absolutely.

sure, but there's very much a conscious movement towards higher quality media, stuff like adventure time/steven universe/gravity falls in animation, indie games, and in movies and tv. there's no shortage of good, well-made anime but they're not really consciously emphasized by the industry and i think if they were you would see a lot more attention and support from hipster/indie types, who like it or not pretty much run things outside japan now

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Like, you don't get to talk about The Sopranos and Mad Men if your standard for anime is unending shonen/light novel bullshit. Compare those shows to stuff like Ping Pong or Monster and you might have an actual discussion, but I don't think you can say Ping Pong has bad animation, writing, or production values

i'm not saying that, i'm saying the anime industry seems just as happy to churn out unending shounen/LN bullshit as it does to make things like Ping Pong, whereas american media as of 2016 at least puts on a show of caring about polish and production values

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Tell me more about how hipsters are the ones who run things now

have you ever read the AV Club?

quote:

What exactly is caring about polish and production values in The Big Bang Theory, the most watched show on television?

like i said TV is pretty bad about this as well. in media as a whole though there's a definite trend towards better craft/production values though

Endorph posted:

american media churns out superhero movies and reboots

and the anime industry makes valkyrie drive and LN shows. i'd rather watch the superhero shows than that

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

i don't know why you're equating indie/hipster with quality but i wish you'd stop

they don't have to be the same thing in theory but most of the time what i'm talking about in western media today is both

Srice posted:

The easiest western comparison to LNs is YA lit

even YA movies are better than like heavy object or valkyrie drive

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

the anime industry sounds hosed up, once it's less hosed up by merit of the unfucked studios gaining more success, things will probably improve, but for now it remains dominated by companies who treat their employees like poo poo and, surprise surprise, end up churning out poo poo

in the coming decades i think we might see a fair number of studios shutting their doors for good since the old guard who buys all sorts of poo poo will fade away and the newer, exceptionally less consumerist and more financially stingy generations start to be the main audience

i'm also still of the opinion that the current financing model of entertainment doesn't really work and in the future things will operate on a kickstarter style, where the audience chooses what gets funded or not - this will tend to lead to way way less anime (and by extension most other media) actually getting produced, but what does end up funded will hopefully be much higher quality

i mean this is mostly a problem of the japanese domestic market imploding as the country wastes away into the aether. i think the best path forwards for the anime industry is making stuff for a mainstream american audience, which i guess is why i keep harping on the benefits of switching to a more similar model to how american media now works

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

and it seems like that model would lead to way more pandering, not less. the current model allows for surprise successes or something that suddenly takes the world by storm even without any real 'hook' that draws people in. with that model you'd have to be pandering from the word go and desperately trying to sell yourself. as kickstarter shows, the best way to be successful is to either use an established franchise (the shenmue kickstarter), have a known name attached to your project (bloodstained, mighty no. 9), or invoke an established franchise without being a direct sequel (pillars of eternity)

And kickstarter is fine for those projects, but if it became the sole method of things getting produced, that'd be all you'd get. Nobody would want to kick in 15 dollars sight unseen unless they could be reasonably sure it'd be something they'd enjoy, and the best way to be sure of that is if they have some sort of familiarity. Random projects by young, fresh faces would completely dry up. More than that, things would be way more binary. There'd be no room for 'well, our blu-ray sales were pretty crap, but we made a lot of money on merch and drama CDs, so the fans we do have seem very dedicated. things balanced out in the end,' because if you fail immediately, the thing never exists.

i'm thinking less kickstarter and more just making shows for netflix

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

You can't just say that western TV doesn't count. It's the most directly comparable market. Video games and comics don't have to put out an episode a week for 26 weeks

Also, tell us more about how Japan is wasting away

anime companies don't have to put out an episode every week either. nobody's holding a gun to their head and demanding they produce garbage

and as for japan wasting away:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

tbf, ainu and koreans are cool and should be in anime more

edit: also native okinawans

there's some shoujo thing where everyone has korean names, i can't remember what it is though. and the minority characters in fma are supposed to be ainu

• Locked thread