Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Tippis posted:

More seriously, does it look ok and do you notice any advantage?

A little, can more easily spot cars coming up the side. Need to lower some graphics options though, the settings I had for 1920x1080@60fps are getting me between 30 and 40fps at 2560x1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

was just wondering if yous could check the assetto corsa server

Its currently set to Peugeot 504s at the Nordschliffe; people were mentioning it as a potentially good combo last week so I set it up that way but we could change it to something else. I think I'm going to do the spreadsheet thing in the future but I thought I'd pick for this week

Seems to be working just fine. You should probably choose the sport version of the 504 though, that one moves at least a tiny bit :)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jonathan posted:

Can anyone tell me why FOV adjustment doesn't work on my triple screen setup ? I see shadows and shading changing as I adjust the slider, but the view stays the same.

Searching Google brings up nothing. Only links on how to calculate FOV.

Reposting this question because I failed to mention it was Assetto Corsa

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

jonathan posted:

Reposting this question because I failed to mention it was Assetto Corsa

Are you using for the on track fov adjustment?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So this is a curious story that popped up today, a former SimBin guy has apparently got some kind of rights regarding GT Legends and is working on a new game in the series. There's not really anything substantial there other than that but I'm curious as to how that works now. It's not like historic cars are rare in current games and history has shown sim racing fans have very little patience for unlocking stuff. Something to maybe keep an eye on though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Are you using for the on track fov adjustment?

When the car is in the pits I move my mouse to the right, there is a vertical task bar thing with a bunch of widgets I can put on the screen (Sorry I might not be using the correct terminology). One is an FOV adjuster, when I increase or decrease the value, it moves around some shading on the track, but the view stays the same. As a crutch I've been moving the seat position way back so I can kind of see a bit, but it's zoomed in way too far for my liking. I understand correct fov, but I'd also like to at least see the tach/gauge cluster a bit.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Isn't there a separate rendering mode and FOV app for triple screen? I think I read something like that when I looked into triples for a second. Maybe you're using the wrong one?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GhostDog posted:

Isn't there a separate rendering mode and FOV app for triple screen? I think I read something like that when I looked into triples for a second. Maybe you're using the wrong one?

I have no clue. Do you mean specifically to Assetto Corsa ? With iracing the fov adjustment works.

Edit: You do have to enable "surround" via the nvidia control panel, if thats what you're thinking of.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I was thinking in the Assetto Corsa graphics options you could select resolution but also rendering mode single or triple, and then the FOV app switches to something with several values instead of a single FOV slider. I saw that somewhere in the AC Steam community or forum.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
A GT Legends sequel is announced by a new studio around a former Simbin guy. Apparently making that possible has been in the works for some time, which makes me hope this is the mystery project to license the rF2 engine Tim Weathley was talking about a while back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Does a new GT Legends even work now though? Historic cars aren't a rarity in sim racing now and the FIA historic touring car and GT championships don't exist any more so what can it offer beyond just being GT Legends HD?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

njsykora posted:

just GT Legends HD?

I'd buy this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not gonna lie, so would I.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Historic cars aren't a rarity in sim racing now and the FIA historic touring car and GT championships don't exist any more so what can it offer beyond just being GT Legends HD?

pCars is really the only one that some of those old GT cars, but pCars is no fun in single player. What exists for AC/rF2/SCE is mostly (and often bad) conversions afaik. Other than that you have to go back a generation to rF1 based games and mods, which at this point I'm kinda over tbh.

Edit: GT Legends kinda deserves a spot in the OP though now that I think about it.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 11, 2016

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Would love to drive me some CanAm cars (for half a lap until I spun them out)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a cool idea. Cars that handle differently and look like nothing else, tracks in old configurations and some aren't around anymore. There is a ton of content you could do which isn't in any other game all with glorious new tech. A game where I could run a F1 season but without playing with aero or 7/8 gear ratios and blah blah.. Just 5 gears and some straightforward suspension settings. None of the Twitter poo poo like you find in PCars, actual newspaper clippings and soundbites from radio programs. Retro styled images of these old cars, pretty girls and simple jumpsuits and helmets.

This all sounds like a cool idea to me, I'd buy it just because it brings something so novel to the table.

edit: phone posting is hard

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 12, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think you're expecting way too much from this project. I don't expect classic track layouts since GTL originally was current tracks in their current layouts because that's what the FIA Historic championships ran. Also there wont be any F1 in it likely because of the GT part, though Lotus does licence their classic garage to just about everyone.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I don't know anything about the project. Just saying I would like a game like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Oh I don't know anything about the project. Just saying I would like a game like that.

Absolutely, but at that point you're more or less asking for Grand Prix Legends 2. Though with the amount of historic open wheelers in rFactor 2 you could have gotten pretty close there if an actual mod community had gotten into that.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Speaking of classic tracks, modern F1 on Rouen les Essarts in pCars is fun and scary at the same time.

So is the Lotus 49.

Or any of the Road D cars.

Really, anything faster than 60mph.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like a fully fledged career mode too, I want to drive against Jim Clarke and Graham Hill. I want Colin Champan to approach me midway through a season and talk about some flimsy, crazy thing he's developing and do I want to test drive it? The sound effects could be amazing. So much of Fallout 4's charm is the retro styling, right down to listening to music from the era as you're walking around in power armour.

I'd even kinda want a H pattern shifter for it, paddles just wouldn't feel right.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tony Montana posted:

I'd like a fully fledged career mode too, I want to drive against Jim Clarke and Graham Hill. I want Colin Champan to approach me midway through a season and talk about some flimsy, crazy thing he's developing and do I want to test drive it? The sound effects could be amazing. So much of Fallout 4's charm is the retro styling, right down to listening to music from the era as you're walking around in power armour.

I recently ended up on pretendracecars which one probably shouldn't, but in an article about Race07 they had a part I agree with that racing sims today are too obsessed with tire models to the exclusion of anything else. The games drive fine, you have to drive the cars properly, when are we getting to the actual race (weekend) part? The traffic of cars and people in the pits, the crowds, team chatter, rivalries and press interviews. Codemasters, for all their faults, tried to do something like that. The current crop of sims have good enough driving models, they should stop spending 100% of their time tinkering with them endlessly and pick that other thread up again. And of course AI, AI hasn't made a substantial improvement in a decade.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Developers are obsessed because sim enthusiasts are. Even in the relatively same thread we have here, physics occasionally become a sticking point.

Granted, most everyone here is chill and enjoys these sims for their individual merits. There's one or two weirdos.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I actively play 3 sims because I like different things about them depending on my mood.

I never understood the die hard attitude people have about one simple or the other.

I find every time a replace a piece of hardware what I play changes.

What I'm saying is we're all crazy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I unbolt my shifter and move it when driving RHD cars.

I'm that guy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The tire model thing is also massively overstated. iRacing releases a new tire model fairly rarely, AC's a constant work in progress anyway (most people seem happy with the v6 though) and rF2 hasn't updated the contact patch model in a while.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

I actively play 3 sims because I like different things about them depending on my mood.

Yep, I bounce around a lot too. All of the current sims are pretty good.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I end up driving iracing a lot more because i like the fact that you can basically find a practice with people at any time ever, i dont really race all that much any more, so its nice that iracing gives me an easy place to drop in and kinda do whatever i want, its not that i like it the most, i just really hate driving alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does Project Cars not really have custom-made tracks? I'm torn between that and Assetto Corsa. pCars looks like it's more my speed, but I used to work at Lime Rock so being able to download that and race on it is a huge point in AC's favor for me.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Nope, no mod tracks for pCars so far. It is possible, and SMS has said they don't care about people modding the game, but they don't officially support it either so the installation process is annoying and updates will break things.

AC is definitely the way to go for mods. Or SCE if you already have it, otherwise wait for Automobilista.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I wouldn't expect much in the way of modding for pCars.

I need to reiterate again though how poo poo a lot of the conversions for AC are. The old rFactor track meshes just don't work in AC with a lazy port job, staircases in every corner.

SCE actually has the most track mods that reach the quality of the official content.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

True, I've seen some shoddy as hell AC mods. iRacing and rF2 are the only ones with first party versions of Lime Rock, I think.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

SCE actually has the most track mods that reach the quality of the official content.

Yeah, Patrick gets a lot of help from Reiza people for his conversions too so most if not all of them are top quality. I'd assume he's getting advice from them for AMS conversions as well even though Reiza have said its not a game designed for modding.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Edit: poo poo, beaten

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are we still doing the AC race on Sunday? How many laps?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Goetta posted:

Are we still doing the AC race on Sunday? How many laps?

I would assume 3 given the 504 probably cant do sub-9 around there.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I was thinking four laps; I wasn't sure whether three would be a little too short. Its a bit of an awkward thing.

So yeah: on Sunday we're doing the Peugeot 504s at the Nordschleife - we're going to be using the sports version, I'm just going to change the server before I forgot. I'm planning to start the race at 8:30GMT as normal; although qualifying will be quite a bit longer - I'm thinking of starting it at eight just to give people time to get a couple of laps in.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you dudes know how to have AC quit exiting from the session to the windowed launcher menu? It's annoying

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
here's a kickstarter that some of you might be interested in

dunno if its exactly going to be a pure sim game; but i don't loving care i just want a decent dirt track game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I recently ended up on pretendracecars which one probably shouldn't, but in an article about Race07 they had a part I agree with that racing sims today are too obsessed with tire models to the exclusion of anything else. The games drive fine, you have to drive the cars properly, when are we getting to the actual race (weekend) part? The traffic of cars and people in the pits, the crowds, team chatter, rivalries and press interviews. Codemasters, for all their faults, tried to do something like that. The current crop of sims have good enough driving models, they should stop spending 100% of their time tinkering with them endlessly and pick that other thread up again. And of course AI, AI hasn't made a substantial improvement in a decade.
:agreed:

I kind of fell off the sim racing bandwagon because :effort: set in after getting a wheel to actually learn to be competent with it (and spend the ~5 minutes setting up/removing it from my desk each time), but that's part of it: got tired of PCars garbage AI and relatively lifeless, even if sizable, career and decided to wait for Reiza to upgrade SCE before delving deeper there. Something to make the offline experience more immersive beyond the driving could go a long way to making it feel like a better overall experience that keeps me coming back.

bUm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 14, 2016