Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Sebring 12 HR is in two weeks? drat, that was my first Enduro on iRacing last year. I might have to try find time again to race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm playing pCars right now on a 22" single monitor (with a controller for now), roughly 33 inches away from it and the project immersion FoV calculator says my hFov should be 34*. Tried it, and it looks like I'm driving with binoculars strapped to my face. It's not taking screenshots for some reason but basically the top of the steering wheel down in the bottom 1/3rd of my screen. Did I mess up the calculations wrong or is this indeed optimal? How can I improve ~my immersion~ short of investing in a triple monitor setup?

I mean it's not a huge deal to play with lower than ideal FoV but I do have a lot of trouble judging corners when it looks like everything is going by at warp speed.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
tomorrow's assetto corsa race is the ferrari f2002 at Imola: race starts at 8:30GMT as usual. Probably going to be 20 laps, I want to make sure that we get done with a decent gap between it and the iracing sebring race

Sorry for the late post about this: I had a job interview in London that I only got back from yesterday and I've felt horrible all of today

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
With the new F1 season about to start, I've been spending a lot of time playing F1 2025. Goddamn what a fun game. I hope Codemasters bolsters up the content for this years edition.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
They runnin closed cockpit yet?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm playing pCars right now on a 22" single monitor (with a controller for now), roughly 33 inches away from it and the project immersion FoV calculator says my hFov should be 34*. Tried it, and it looks like I'm driving with binoculars strapped to my face. It's not taking screenshots for some reason but basically the top of the steering wheel down in the bottom 1/3rd of my screen. Did I mess up the calculations wrong or is this indeed optimal? How can I improve ~my immersion~ short of investing in a triple monitor setup?

I mean it's not a huge deal to play with lower than ideal FoV but I do have a lot of trouble judging corners when it looks like everything is going by at warp speed.
If possible, shortening the face-to-monitor distance seems like the most reasonable fix: move your monitor closer to the edge of your desk, push your keyboard tray in so you can move your chair closer (don't need the keyboard/mouse for PCars w/ controller), or whatever else could do that.

Accurate FoV is meant to match the view your monitor displays what a window the size of your monitor would reveal if you were really sitting in the seat of the car; sitting that far back with such a small window means that accurate FoV is quite restrictive.

If you can't fix the distance, your options cost money or just dial it back until it gives enough vision with minimal extraneous stuff (also remember that, I think, PCars has seat adjustments so you should move that around a bit while testing out FoV changes).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DarthJeebus posted:

As noted on that calculator, it's not really ideal when you have a single small monitor. In your case, I'd ignore the "correct" FoV and increase it until it feels comfortable to look at. As for the steering wheel taking up tons of screen space, you can either adjust the head camera/seat position so that it's higher in the car (I think pCars allows this), or you could use the dash or hood cam, which are both similar to the first-person cameras but without showing the inside of the car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

OhsH posted:

They runnin closed cockpit yet?

2017 seems likely.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Moved my monitor about 10" away from my face and it's much more reasonable now. Since I can't afford a triple screen setup and am not ready to take the VR plunge I think I'll just get a bigger display. Now I just need to get a good deal on a DFGT.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Check craigslist and keep an eye on amazon they had a dfgt in warehouse deals for 75bux

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The AC server should now be up; its a 20 lap race at Iola using the Ferrari F2002. I'm using the latest version, make sure that you pick that up otherwise it could cause problems - last updated on the 20th of February so it might be a sensible thing to download it anyway

Its currently running a 3 hour qualifying session; the race should start around half 8 gmt as usual. password is unchanged; "torqueislife"

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 28, 2016

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Sorry to whoever it was that I spun in front of and took out. If it is any consolation I discovered I was underfueled 2 laps from the end, so a fairly ignominious result all round

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
So are there any useful plugins or options I can enable for multiplayer AC? Anything like iRacing's relative box, for example? I turned on the track map to give me a bit more awareness of other drivers but I'm wondering if there is more available. Driving in traffic is particularly hectic when I can't tell who is on my lap and who isn't.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There is a relative app that I think it is built in. There is also Helicorsa which is a radar app. I don't use it because it feels a bit gamey so I can't speak to its quality. http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I went and got me a used DFGT today, but I'm noticing the steering is super stiff. It's like I'm fighting really hard against the gears and any sudden corrective movements requires so much effort that it nearly rips it from my desk. This can't be normal right? I turned the centering spring down to 0 in the profiler but beyond that I can't figure out how to loosen it up. (BTW playing pcars)

EDIT: Never mind, it just took a lot of tweaking of the FFB vs Tire Force values. Turns out low tire force with high FFB seems to give the best results, but I'm pretty new to wheels in general so *shrug*

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 1, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Automobilista available on steam now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

Automobilista available on steam now.

Yesssss. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight. spending 4 hours getting everything setup

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've just seen KartKraft, it looks kinda amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjaQ_Kj4kWg

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I kinda cringe that this is one of the highlight pictures:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KartKraft is in that bucket of games I really want to be good just for the sake of having a game where karting isn't treated like a diversion. Like yeah rFactor 2 and SCE and PCars all have good karts but only a handful of tracks to race them on. if this game has a sizable tracklist I'll be very happy if the driving is good.

Also apparently a free to play version of Forza 6 is coming to PC, so that rumour can finally be put to rest.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

I went and got me a used DFGT today, but I'm noticing the steering is super stiff. It's like I'm fighting really hard against the gears and any sudden corrective movements requires so much effort that it nearly rips it from my desk. This can't be normal right? I turned the centering spring down to 0 in the profiler but beyond that I can't figure out how to loosen it up. (BTW playing pcars)

EDIT: Never mind, it just took a lot of tweaking of the FFB vs Tire Force values. Turns out low tire force with high FFB seems to give the best results, but I'm pretty new to wheels in general so *shrug*

Since you are new to ffb do a search for "driving force gt settings [game]" it will help establish a good ffb baseline

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Bentai posted:

I kinda cringe that this is one of the highlight pictures:

Grand Theft Karto

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Spent 20 mins with rally lancer amd stadium truck before work, good god were they worth the wait.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Helicon One posted:

Grand Theft Karto

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

Spent 20 mins with rally lancer amd stadium truck before work, good god were they worth the wait.

The trucks are hilarious. Up on 3 wheels in almost every corner.

Feedback in this game is great.

Uhh why does the V10 F1 car auto upshift for me? Nothing else does, and it still wants me to downshift.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Uhh why does the V10 F1 car auto upshift for me? Nothing else does, and it still wants me to downshift.

It's apparently the assists the actual car had, though I have a hard time believing an F1 car had an automatic transmission. You can turn it off in the setup menu.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The V10s had semi automatics. But I don't recall anyone not actually shifting? Who knows. No big deal since I can shut it off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie56EKiA4jU

Apparently if this does well, they will release Forza 7 on PC. While this seems cool, I don't know if I'd care enough to play a gimped version of Forza enough to convince them to release a full game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Forza's a super polished product though, which I can appreciate.

I think the biggest holdup is that it's a Windows Store app.. which comes with some stupid limitations. Mods are right out, but they also do stupid things like force full screen borderless and vsync to on.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/microsoft-needs-to-stop-forcing-console-like-restrictions-on-windows-store-pc-games/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I would certainly buy it through Steam or somewhere else where I could just download the files but the Windows store limitations are a dealbreaker

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'll at least download it and try it out, though I have a feeling it isn't going to have support for all the PC wheels that are around.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Norns posted:

They had auto up shifts in 2001-2, I'm pretty sure that some may also had versions of auto downshifts. Watch an inboard from that year, you'll notice it

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

IceAgeComing posted:

They had auto up shifts in 2001-2, I'm pretty sure that some may also had versions of auto downshifts. Watch an inboard from that year, you'll notice it

Yea. Some cars had a 7-2 button that would tell the car to just handle the downshifts on it's own for hairpins.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm going to jump trucks around and fly my dad down here so he can do it and it'll be the best time ever.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

njsykora posted:

I'll at least download it and try it out, though I have a feeling it isn't going to have support for all the PC wheels that are around.

Good call

http://www.virtualr.net/forza-motorsport-6-apex-officially-announced

It won't have multiplayer or wheel support at all.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Seems odd it wouldn't have wheel support considering the console versions have it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Seems like Turn 10 or whoever didn't have a whole lot of dev time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haha. "We'll put Forza 7 on PC if this thing does well, but not include features that have a well documented history of keeping players engaged for a long time."

Morons.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody who doesn't know what a Stadium Super Truck is, please watch this video and then buy Automobilista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I love the impossible trucks.