Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Microsoft is pretty dumb. Finally bring a Forza to PC which is what people have been clamoring for for years. Except it's only a few cars and a few tracks. It's only on the windows store, only works on Windows 10, and has some forced graphics settings. It also doesn't have wheel support and there's no multiplayer. It hasn't even come out and it already looks like it's dead in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The suspension on those things is goddamn magic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft is pretty dumb. Finally bring a Forza to PC which is what people have been clamoring for for years. Except it's only a few cars and a few tracks. It's only on the windows store, only works on Windows 10, and has some forced graphics settings. It also doesn't have wheel support and there's no multiplayer. It hasn't even come out and it already looks like it's dead in the water.

Turn 10's response: "well guys we totally tried! so never ask for PC Forza again because we did what you asked and no one played it!"

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Forza Apex is pretty cool. I didn't expect them to release something for PC before FH3/FM7. And it's free!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Eyud posted:

And it's free!

is it actually free; or is it free to play and you basically have to give them money to do anything?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Shine posted:

Anybody who doesn't know what a Stadium Super Truck is, please watch this video and then buy Automobilista.
Cool video.

So, Automobilista is already a full upgrade on SCE despite sounding like it's still being pretty actively worked on, right? Just wanted to confirm before uninstalling SCE and migrating over to the new one.

Eyud posted:

Forza Apex is pretty cool. I didn't expect them to release something for PC before FH3/FM7. And it's free!
On the one hand I'm interested because I played a lot of Gran Turismo and am disappointed that PC sims basically totally neglect user friendliness and as balanced of a game (putting little effort into any features that aren't driving) so I'd potentially be interested in an actual Forza title coming to PC. On the other hand, :effort: given it sounds like a very watered down experience, even if free.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

bUm posted:

So, Automobilista is already a full upgrade on SCE despite sounding like it's still being pretty actively worked on, right? Just wanted to confirm before uninstalling SCE and migrating over to the new one.

Yeah, pretty much. I think that classic Imola is missing for some reason and they'll need to port the mods over so if you use the latter or really like the former keep a SCE installation around

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

is it actually free; or is it free to play and you basically have to give them money to do anything?

What I read said a third of the cars are unlocked from the start and the rest have to be unlocked either with in-game currency or real money. I think FM6 uses the same or a similar model.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eyud posted:

What I read said a third of the cars are unlocked from the start and the rest have to be unlocked either with in-game currency or real money. I think FM6 uses the same or a similar model.

Yeah, but FM6 had an option to hide the real money option completely which I appreciated.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How autopimpbaliata game ahem sim handle 3 monitors do I need to do Nvidia surround or just fire it up and say 3 please

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

tater_salad posted:

How autopimpbaliata game ahem sim handle 3 monitors do I need to do Nvidia surround or just fire it up and say 3 please

Stock Car Extreme handles Surround triples fine, so Pimpballista should do that fine. You should use surround because it's awesome. I only turn off surround when I am doing single monitor recording.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Open wheelers feel so good in pimpballista.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Stock Car Extreme handles Surround triples fine, so Pimpballista should do that fine. You should use surround because it's awesome. I only turn off surround when I am doing single monitor recording.

Here's my issue with surround.. I normally use my pc with 2 monitors, also Nvidia hates me and even though all monitos I can do 1600x900 x3 it limits me to somethingx768.
My ghetto 3 screen will get upgraded to 3 similar screens at some point but right now I have an hp that can only do x900 and 2 others that can do 1080

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
So, automobilista supertrucks on sunday??? gently caress AC imho.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

So, automobilista supertrucks on sunday??? gently caress AC imho.

I like every part of this post.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cojawfee posted:

It's the wheel bit that's the real killer here.

Because everything else would be fine in a "Preview" version before future games are ported properly.

But that one kills the whole thing stone dead for anyone even slightly serious about cars on their PC.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Honestly they probably want people to buy the Xbox One rather than play a PC version of Forza. To push people in that direction the only way to use a wheel and pedals is to get Forza and the Xbone.

After Forza went to the Xbone I switched to PC primary - better support for peripherals, more options, and mods.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except a big gaming story yesterday was how Microsoft is trying to unify xbox and PC gaming with their "universal windows app" binary format. This Forza demo is just the first test of the waters.. they're indicating that long term they want people to be able to play console games natively on their PC.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So Microsoft is doing the reverse steam link/ steam console.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except it's already inferior to Steam because it's not a PC providing a console experience, it's a console experience being enforced on the PC. Like I said earlier.. no mods, limited configurability, and feature limited to the baseline spec of the xbox one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Finally, Xbox One games will be played with the right type of RAM.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Except it's already inferior to Steam because it's not a PC providing a console experience, it's a console experience being enforced on the PC. Like I said earlier.. no mods, limited configurability, and feature limited to the baseline spec of the xbox one.

Nowhere did I say it was a good idea.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Honestly they probably want people to buy the Xbox One rather than play a PC version of Forza. To push people in that direction the only way to use a wheel and pedals is to get Forza and the Xbone.

After Forza went to the Xbone I switched to PC primary - better support for peripherals, more options, and mods.
Yeah, PS3 was the last console I plan to own (was a gift, one barely used aside from Gran Turismo) so for me it's kind of just a: do you want me to play your game at all? I guess before I bothered getting a wheel, I'd have been pretty interested in an intentionally very controller-friendly PC racing sim (even in watered down form), but, now having a wheel, a game that doesn't even allow it seems not worth bothering.

Kind of an interesting goal if they're really trying to effectively unify their PC and console offerings to be available to either; kind of along the same avenue of Windows 10 trying to unite all platforms (desktop, notebook, mobile) so software works for all without additional finagling.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I still like to chill and race with a controller sometimes. Maybe when I have a dedicated cockpit I can just jump into it'll be different but I think they'll end up adding wheel support to Forza Apex at some point too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eyud posted:

I still like to chill and race with a controller sometimes. Maybe when I have a dedicated cockpit I can just jump into it'll be different but I think they'll end up adding wheel support to Forza Apex at some point too.

On this line.. how unforgiving is automobiliata, I'm thinking of grabbing a steam link and do some 720(probably not going to get to 1080 on wifi) and would love play some stadium trucks or dirt racing with a 360 controller. Should I just get ac instead?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It's actually not too bad, depending on the vehicle. I can have fun with the rallycross Lancer or super trucks, but things like the Formula V10 are pretty tough with a controller.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
HEY! any idea on what i need to do to be able to host automobilista? i tried forwarding the old ports from sce but i couldn't see the server on the steam list so i am kind of at a loss since there doesn't seem to be all that much coming up with google.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Eyud posted:

You're not allowed to be ok with a free game man you need to be real angry about all the faults like an entitled stupid nerd, come on.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

moxieman posted:

You're not allowed to be ok with a free game man you need to be real angry about all the faults like an entitled stupid nerd, come on.

People are allowed to criticize PC racing sims in the PC racing sim thread. If you can't handle that, then stay out of the thread.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhz7XJSwRxs Had my self a great trucks race on a random automobilista server tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hope that game is super fun because man it looks like garbage.

The car models are pretty decent but the scenery looks like it came off the original xbox.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

HEY! any idea on what i need to do to be able to host automobilista? i tried forwarding the old ports from sce but i couldn't see the server on the steam list so i am kind of at a loss since there doesn't seem to be all that much coming up with google.

I don't think the in-game multiplayer stuff is working yet, everything I've seen says you have to use the Steam server browser from outside the game. I don't even know if you can host a normal game from that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

The car models are pretty decent but the scenery looks like it came off the original xbox.

it's pretty early access, and I think it's $21 in the US.. as long as the cars drive well and I can see what my brake points are etc I could care less about Perdy trees.

Edit it's 31 still a good deal

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

It has the impossible trucks and that is what matters most IMO.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It also has a loving fantastic driving model. And the carts are even more fun than the PCARS ones.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What is the choice for intermediate wheels?
Belt drive is better than gear right?
It seems like the market of 250 medium quality wheels is gone, the g27 or csr elite was going to be my next upgrade to my game and both are either not avaliable or price gouging.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
G2X is gear driven. Despite whatever price they charge, it's bottom end. CSR elite or CSW v1 is a no go. if anything goes wrong, they don't make parts anymore.. On these two the code wheel is the big problem. It's a plastic wheel with black lines on it. If you have to open the wheel up and any of the code marks get scraped off, you're done because that part isn't made anymore. If you want midrange you'll want a thrustmaster or wait for fanatec to release whatever midrange wheel they plan to make.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thrustmaster doesn't have a clutch and gears under 500 do they?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Cojawfee posted:

G2X is gear driven. Despite whatever price they charge, it's bottom end. CSR elite or CSW v1 is a no go. if anything goes wrong, they don't make parts anymore.. On these two the code wheel is the big problem. It's a plastic wheel with black lines on it. If you have to open the wheel up and any of the code marks get scraped off, you're done because that part isn't made anymore. If you want midrange you'll want a thrustmaster or wait for fanatec to release whatever midrange wheel they plan to make.

The Fanatec is going to be more expensive, I would guess $400US, but it will be a separate base and wheel. If you want it now, Thrustmaster T300 is the way to go unless you need the other console compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think Thrustmaster do a package deal where you can get the T300 or TX with the T3PA pedals for $450-470. A quick Amazon search says it's fairly simple to get both those separately for under $400 though.