Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

To tell a hyena it stank would not be an insult. It has been known for decades that these animals communicate using a pungent material called hyena butter. This forms in pouches next to their anuses and they smear it onto plants for other hyenas to sniff and draw conclusions about the depositor.

It has also been long suspected that the smell—mainly the result of small fatty-acid, ester and alcohol molecules—is generated not directly by hyenas themselves, but rather by bacteria that live in the pouches. The details, however, are obscure. They are less obscure now, though, thanks to the work of Kevin Theis of Michigan State University, who has spent much of his career analysing the contents of hyena pouches. And, at a session at this year’s meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, he shared his conclusions with an eager audience.

There are four species of hyena, three of which are solitary and one gregarious. Dr Theis compared one of the solitary species, the striped hyena, with the gregarious one, the spotted hyena, which lives in clans that have as many as 90 animals in them. Spotted-hyena society is a dominatrix’s dream: the girls are very much in charge, and even have pseudopenises which they show off to cow the males.

One of the things Dr Theis was looking for was systematic differences in the butter of the two sexes, and of female butter in various phases of their reproductive cycle. He also compared the social species with the solitary one.

Striped-hyena butter was chemically simpler than spotted-hyena butter. Dr Theis looked at nine fatty acids. The butter of striped hyenas was dominated by one, iso-pentanoic acid (the source of the odour of human feet). Butter from spotted hyenas, by contrast, generally had all nine, in varying proportions. That makes sense if, as seems plausible, a social animal needs to convey more complex and nuanced information than does a solitary one.

This chemical complexity was matched by the intricacy of the bacterial ecosystems believed to be generating it. Modern genetic techniques allow these to be sampled far more effectively than by the old approach of culturing on agar plates. Spotted pouches turned out to contain more species than striped ones did, and Dr Theis was able, in some cases, to work out which bacteria were responsible for generating which fatty acid.

Spotted hyenas did indeed seem to use the extra complexity of their scent for signalling. First, each clan had a perceptible collective odour (or, at least, a recognisable and consistent underlying pattern of fatty acids which was different from that of other clans). Second, superimposed on this basic signal each animal had its own recognisable scent. Third, female and male scents did differ, and the scents of females also varied according to whether they were lactating or pregnant.

Exactly what the animals are saying to each other, Dr Theis has yet to determine. The clan-identity scent is probably a keep-out sign marking the clan’s collective property. Female scents might act as come-hither or stay-away signals, depending on an animal’s reproductive status. But there are probably a lot of more subtle messages—about an individual’s state of health, perhaps, or its position, particularly if female, in the hierarchy.

There is also the question of how a hyena tells its bacteria what to do—and, indeed, how the whole bizarre system evolved in the first place. Outsourcing your conversation with your friends, mates and rivals to several dozen other species of organism, each with its own agenda for survival and reproduction, is a strange way of doing business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
foot smelling butt butter?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So what's your excuse for your stank op?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Feedback Agency posted:

Kevin Theis of Michigan State University, who has spent much of his career analysing the contents of hyena pouches

my kinda guy

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

he shared his conclusions with an eager audience

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm the eager audience.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
You left out the fact that female hyenas all have fake schlongs they use to peg the males in the rear end with.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

'Lying in bed on a summer morning, with the window open, listening to the church bells, eating buttered toast with cunty fingers.'

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mods please change my name to Hyena Butter tia

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol nobody wants to talk to this dude at conferences bc he loving stinks lololol

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Fairly certain they give birth through their giant elastic clits too an all around weird animal to be sure

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
, or, how to make yourself a pariah of the world's nerdiest fraternity

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Wonder how you get into the stink rear end crud field. Do you think this guy looks back on hundreds of thousands of dollars in educational expenses and nods to himself silently satisfied believing he is blazing trails in the rear end goop mystery

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

You left out the fact that female hyenas all have fake schlongs they use to peg the males in the rear end with.

Feedback Agency posted:

There are four species of hyena, three of which are solitary and one gregarious. Dr Theis compared one of the solitary species, the striped hyena, with the gregarious one, the spotted hyena, which lives in clans that have as many as 90 animals in them. Spotted-hyena society is a dominatrix’s dream: the girls are very much in charge, and even have pseudopenises which they show off to cow the males.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Why is everyone suddenly talking about this? By everyone I mean I read it one other place online a couple of days ago after going my entire life never hearing about such a thing. Is it in a recent movie or mentioned in a Tweet? I am out of touch with reality.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hyena girls have dicks

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feedback Agency posted:

To tell a hyena it stank would not be an insult. It has been known for decades that these animals communicate using a pungent material called hyena butter. This forms in pouches next to their anuses and they smear it onto plants for other hyenas to sniff and draw conclusions about the depositor.

It has also been long suspected that the smell—mainly the result of small fatty-acid, ester and alcohol molecules—is generated not directly by hyenas themselves, but rather by bacteria that live in the pouches. The details, however, are obscure. They are less obscure now, though, thanks to the work of Kevin Theis of Michigan State University, who has spent much of his career analysing the contents of hyena pouches. And, at a session at this year’s meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, he shared his conclusions with an eager audience.

*tents fingers, shushes audience cougher*

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
FWIW, I have always heard this material referred to as "anal paste". Perhaps they are re-branding...

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

winnydpu posted:

FWIW, I have always heard this material referred to as "anal paste". Perhaps they are re-branding...

What is your life like where you hear this regularly? Is the entire world familiar with this stuff? I missed the Hyena Butter memo!

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
Who's laughing now?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

"The Entire World's Butt is Gaslit by Hyena Butt Butter Chatter" By Chuck Tingle

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe they should coat their anal pouches with deodorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Is there a hyena butter diet craze yet

• Locked thread