Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

An old west cowboy from the future (but it's medieval times) teams up with a junkie from the 1980s Bronx and a racist caricature black lady in a wheelchiar who, with the help and hindrance of various Stephen King character cameos, fight against an interdimensional conspiracy of autistic people led by Santa Claus who sap the brain energy of children, making them into giants with big rear end tits and dicks, in order to bring the end of the world. Also Stephen King himself appears in the books from time to time.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

For its fans, the Dark Tower books are like that Star Trek TNG episode where they discover a race of people which can only communicate exclusively through references to their own cultural narrative history.
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra," et al.

For example:

"Sharduk, when the beam was found."

"Lobstrosities (dad-a-chik, dad-a-chum), the makers of necessity who lurk in the deep"

"Astin and popkins, the Doors' sweet succor."

I could go on...

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Stephen King is trash

His body of work is large enough that you can point to some of his stuff and find a lot of merit but yeah there's a ton of crap where he is phoning it in as well. The dude knows a ton about the process of actually sitting down and writing a drat book and he's verbose and informative about it. He gets dorks real mad about "genre" fiction which makes me happy as well, as if literary merit were founded upon the ideals of contemporary settings presented as blandly and relentlessly normal as possible.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

His body of work is large enough that you can point to some of his stuff and find a lot of merit but yeah there's a ton of crap where he is phoning it in as well. The dude knows a ton about the process of actually sitting down and writing a drat book and he's verbose and informative about it. He gets dorks real mad about "genre" fiction which makes me happy as well, as if literary merit were founded upon the ideals of contemporary settings presented as blandly and relentlessly normal as possible.

yeh gently caress steven king!!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Casting Roland as a black man would totally change and undermine all the racial themes running through the whole drat series.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Casting Roland as a black man would totally change and undermine all the racial themes running through the whole drat series.

ok how bout eskimo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A bunch of Real Authors got upset and protested when King won some writing award abd it was a dozen people I'd never heard of who's books sounded like poo poo

King isn't great, but he has some good ideas. His short stories are where he really shines

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Orkin Mang posted:

ok how bout eskimo

He's got to be white, like Mitt Romney white. He's gotta be The Man.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

holy poo poo i hope this is true

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

For its fans, the Dark Tower books are like that Star Trek TNG episode where they discover a race of people which can only communicate exclusively through references to their own cultural narrative history.
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra," et al.

For example:

"Sharduk, when the beam was found."

"Lobstrosities (dad-a-chik, dad-a-chum), the makers of necessity who lurk in the deep"

"Astin and popkins, the Doors' sweet succor."

I could go on...

This mans arms are wide!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

btw we are totally ka-tet you guys!!!! :love:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Mccaunghehy should be Eddie.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

phasmid posted:

And Benedict Cumberpatch as the Crimson King.

Cumberbarch: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

Mccaunghehy should be Eddie.

too old

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Billmac posted:

Cumberbarch: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The wheelchaired black lady fights by throwing big rear end dinner plates at peoples faces.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Orkin Mang posted:

yeh gently caress steven king!!

He's fun to read when you are someplace you don't wanna be.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Too bad Jim Henson is dead. Dark Tower would totes work as a Dark Crystal/labyrinth type puppet adventure, especially Oy, who was the bst character.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Mutoid Brit with deformed skull drives women wild. All of his features are overly large and he's not that great an actor but he seems a little gay overall which makes him non threatening enough to be marketable for frequent facebook swoon postings.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Shaquin posted:

Mutoid Brit with deformed skull drives women wild. All of his features are overly large and he's not that great an actor but he seems a little gay overall which makes him non threatening enough to be marketable for frequent facebook swoon postings.

This for cucumber not Idris Elba who is giving off both mad hetero vibes and is traditionally handsome

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
cant wait for demon rape on the big screen

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

SHISHKABOB posted:

Stephen King is trash

if stephen king is trash then ill happily be his retarded pecker suckin trashman

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Bitter Mushroom posted:

if stephen king is trash then ill happily be his retarded pecker suckin trashman

the trashcan man.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

cant wait for demon rape on the big screen

the gunslinger was a weird and cool 1970s as gently caress book and i'm interested in what a movie actually based on it would look like what with all the weird "demon lady pistol rape" and "boy getting run over and making GBS threads out his intestines" scenes

in reality all of that bewildering poo poo will likely get left out and instead we'll get a lovely bland movie in the tone of the last 3 books instead, welp

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

stephen king is good more than he sucks. his endings always suck

except for the end of his recent book "revival" -- that poo poo was traumatizing in a good way

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

The wheelchaired black lady fights by throwing big rear end dinner plates at peoples faces.

For Special.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i wish i could forget reading these books, maybe id hate myself less then

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I liked The Eyes of the Dragon and The Regulators.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

a hole-y ghost posted:

You know what? This whole thread is roont, and that spells M O O N.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I liked The Eyes of the Dragon and The Regulators.

The Regulators was Richard Bachman right?

root root

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Regulators was Richard Bachman right?

root root

Yeah. So was The Long Walk too. Forgot about that one.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I liked Rage by bachman because I'm an angsty teen

naem
May 29, 2011

DiHK posted:

You know what? This whole thread is roont, and that spells M O O N.

thankee sai

naem
May 29, 2011

I love how there are drunken references to the dark tower in all his other books, it's like the drunken drug addled king reaches out from the parallel dimension to our kindly elder king to whisper in his ear still

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I don't know if it was the Stand or Cujo where a couple of crooks got into a shoot out at some gas station or wherever. He makes a point of some silent dude calmly drawing his weapon and carefully blasting one of them before he himself was shot. I always wondered if that was supposed to be a cameo from another book.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
man remember when the stand was pretty good for like 2/3rds of the book, and then the end the nuke turned into a hand and you went uhhhhhhhh huh? and then the book didnt end but sputtered out like a long drippy wet fart

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Wicker Man posted:

I don't know if it was the Stand or Cujo where a couple of crooks got into a shoot out at some gas station or wherever. He makes a point of some silent dude calmly drawing his weapon and carefully blasting one of them before he himself was shot. I always wondered if that was supposed to be a cameo from another book.

The Stand. Poke and Lloyd rob a convenience store and then Poke just starts Pokerizing everyone, old cowboy dude efficiently plugs him before getting taken out by Lloyd.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I liked The Talisman and to a lesser extent Black House so I think Stephen King is a cool guy

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Listen to the series as audiobooks if you actually want to enjoy it. Frank Muller was a legend.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dark tower news is all ka ka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the biggest change they will have to do is take Sussanah out of the wheelchair. It's really hard to shoot with one actor standing and one sitting, almost everythig they do would have to be in wide shot. Maybe give her a limp or need crutches. If this actually gets made I wonder who would play young Roland in Wizard and Glass. Michael B.Jordan?

• Locked thread