Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh yeah and the Riddle-Off with the train that Eddy won by sitting for like 8 hours staring intently off into the distance before he figured out that all he needed to do to defeat the evil train was to tell bad riddles.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that ride starting in book 3 and ending in book 5 so it's likely that King had his mental breakdown before deciding how that played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phlairdon posted:

It gets canned again and again, for Ka is like a wheel.

The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed. He checked imdb and saw Idris Elba's name. "I've always been black," he said.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh yeah and the Riddle-Off with the train that Eddy won by sitting for like 8 hours staring intently off into the distance before he figured out that all he needed to do to defeat the evil train was to tell bad riddles.

That whole book was one of the most boring things I've ever read. Luckily, I was a teen when I read it and had the stubborn stamina to read bad things and waste whole days trying to beat single video game levels.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Atoramos posted:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that ride starting in book 3 and ending in book 5 so it's likely that King had his mental breakdown before deciding how that played out.

You're wrong, it starts at the end of 3 and concludes at the start of 4. There is not an entire book dedicate to riddling the train.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
the audio books of the first couple books are really good then the guy doing them got killed in a motorcycle accident and they turn to poo poo. 19 19 19 191 19191919119 kakakaka

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DiHK posted:

That whole book was one of the most boring things I've ever read. Luckily, I was a teen when I read it and had the stubborn stamina to read bad things and waste whole days trying to beat single video game levels.

Really? I like the Wastelands the best out of all of them. Are you one of those people who actually enjoyed 5-7?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

notZaar posted:

You're wrong, it starts at the end of 3 and concludes at the start of 4. There is not an entire book dedicate to riddling the train.

Segment, whatever. The point stands.

ANd the riddle robot/scene comes up ALL THE DMAN TIME in pop culture/D&D, and it's ALWAYS THE DULLEST poo poo.

Thanks Tolkein. (Honestly it could probably be taken back to some smug greek bastard but we know who all these recent versions are biting off of).

DiHK fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 9, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Murphy Brownback posted:

Really? I like the Wastelands the best out of all of them. Are you one of those people who actually enjoyed 5-7?

No... The roont village was cute but only the first book was the only actually good. It's like Dune IMO, descending in quality until King took a big poo poo on it when he wrote himself in.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Segment, whatever. The point stands.

ANd the riddle robot/scene comes up ALL THE DMAN TIME in pop culture/D&D, and it's ALWAYS THE DULLEST poo poo.

Thanks Tolkein. (Honestly it could probably be taken back to some smug greek bastard but we know who all these recent versions are biting off of).

At least it wasn't paradoxical riddles that overloaded his circuits like in that episode of Futurama and ten million other things. It was dead baby jokes. Much better imo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like pretty much all of the dark tower books, though I like the last three the least. The ending was good, the climax was not.

I also enjoyed watching Lost up until it finished.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think I remember the version of the first book I read had some kind of "remember it's the journey not the destination!!!!" prologue from King.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

WhyteRyce posted:

I think I remember the version of the first book I read had some kind of "remember it's the journey not the destination!!!!" prologue from King.

thats what i say too when i dont know where the gently caress im going

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
steven king has like 70 books but only maybe three good endings, I'm not sure why this suprised anyone.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm literally like 2 pages from finishing the series again, and Prof Shark reminded me to finally finish it. I hate to be one of "those people" but no amount of CG and good casting can be better then my imagination :agesilaus:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

At least it wasn't paradoxical riddles that overloaded his circuits like in that episode of Futurama and ten million other things. It was dead baby jokes. Much better imo

I thought it was clever, they defeated the robot with jokes because his brain wasn't built to process them. The whole situation played perfectly off of Roland and Eddie's characters.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

1 and 4 are the only ones worth reading. He should have just written a series in that Tolkien meets Bret Harte world but it seems like at some point he realized he didn't have the stuff for it so he wrote a bunch of Stephen King novels instead.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
King wrote his best stuff when he was blacked out on drugs and alcohol. The post-car crash writing has slowly improved but he just doesn't write the crazy 80s anymore.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

And the main character is suppose to look like the author too? What a loving joke

This was honestly among one of the worst parts about the last couple books. Eddie and Roland confront King and there is an incredibly terrible description of how Roland and King could be brothers, two sides of the same coin (The Fighter and The Author), etc

I know King created Roland in his mind when he was 19 and on drugs and he's really just a fantasy version of himself, but Stephen King is not an attractive or heroic looking guy

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I hope they get Lucas to play King in the movie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope they just make a better ending, not that the series will do well enough to get to that point of course

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I must be the only person who read The Dark Tower that wasn't bothered by King's cameo.

The characters are climbing up the levels of reality toward our world. They're going to have to face the fact that they're written characters in a story at some point.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Professor Shark posted:

This was honestly among one of the worst parts about the last couple books. Eddie and Roland confront King and there is an incredibly terrible description of how Roland and King could be brothers, two sides of the same coin (The Fighter and The Author), etc

I know King created Roland in his mind when he was 19 and on drugs and he's really just a fantasy version of himself, but Stephen King is not an attractive or heroic looking guy

That sounds like a stdh.txt so then I looked at the totally handsome protagonist and realized we were almost identical and totally awesome in every way

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I always just assumed Roland was supposed to be Eastwood playing The Man With No Name, so Roland will just forever be Eastwood squinting at people in my head.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

El Cid posted:

I always just assumed Roland was supposed to be Eastwood playing The Man With No Name, so Roland will just forever be Eastwood squinting at people in my head.

Didn't they even see a movie poster with Eastwood on it and point out that it looked exactly like Roland?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

I must be the only person who read The Dark Tower that wasn't bothered by King's cameo.

The characters are climbing up the levels of reality toward our world. They're going to have to face the fact that they're written characters in a story at some point.

It creates an absolute stupid fourth wall headache where why doesn't Stephen King write what he wants and solve everything and what's the whole point of the story of a character within the story inside and out can change anything

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

Didn't they even see a movie poster with Eastwood on it and point out that it looked exactly like Roland?

Yeah one of my friends mentioned that in defense of he couldn't be black in the movie cause you know Clint and Stephen King look basically like brothers

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

It creates an absolute stupid fourth wall headache where why doesn't Stephen King write what he wants and solve everything and what's the whole point of the story of a character within the story inside and out can change anything

King has for a long time been outspoken in his belief that he and other writers are not creating so much as channeling the story and that you can't "just change whatever you want" even if you're the author. He's expressed this idea as far back as Misery.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

King has for a long time been outspoken in his belief that he and other writers are not creating so much as channeling the story and that you can't "just change whatever you want" even if you're the author. He's expressed this idea as far back as Misery.

He compared himself to Clint Eastwood and a good looking protagonist so I call bullshit on that

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Does the series get less or more poo poo as it goes on? I remember loving the first book then hating all the wacky characters that get introduced in the next books and giving up on reading it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

He compared himself to Clint Eastwood and a good looking protagonist so I call bullshit on that

Fair enough but even if it wasn't tongue in cheek (and with King, I suspect it was), I interpreted the comparison to be more about how characters in books are always a reflection of the author on some level. The resemblance is metaphorical since all any author can write is themselves.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

Does the series get less or more poo poo as it goes on? I remember loving the first book then hating all the wacky characters that get introduced in the next books and giving up on reading it.

It gets good when Oy is introduced, then varies wildly in quality from that point on.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Also I half suspect that if this series/move/whatever gets made (it won't) that they'll have wheelchair lady not be in a wheelchair so that they can conveniently ignore the realities of constant off-road wasteland wheelchairing.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

Fair enough but even if it wasn't tongue in cheek (and with King, I suspect it was), I interpreted the comparison to be more about how characters in books are always a reflection of the author on some level. The resemblance is metaphorical since all any author can write is themselves.

I mean I get that but a lot of writers admit and give a nod to this without being so heavy handed it's condescending

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Stephen King should play the Crimson King in the moviefilm

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I loved the first four books. The last 3 had decent elements but were mostly poo poo. The climax was terrible, but I really liked the actual ending. (Not the happily-ever-after one he added after the fact)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I mean I get that but a lot of writers admit and give a nod to this without being so heavy handed it's condescending

"Condescending" implies it's deliberate. King is a master of many things but he's not well known for his subtlety. If your complaint was that it was clumsy then yeah I'd go along with it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

I loved the first four books. The last 3 had decent elements but were mostly poo poo. The climax was terrible, but I really liked the actual ending. (Not the happily-ever-after one he added after the fact)

Whats that one?

naem
May 29, 2011

The dRk tower began as kings absolute best short story series in the first book, where he hints at all kinds of fascinating shot going on in the story universe, and taking those hints and imagining what they mean is why king does best imo

The part where he went back and actually wrote the rest of the story was probably a mistake because you can't imagine it all for yourself anymore. It was still good though I mean we got to see so much more of that world

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah King is/was really good at dropping enigmatic hints at what is going on in Midworld and it was awesome

The Beast guarding The Tower in early editions was pretty awesome, as well as the flashbacks to Cowboy Camelot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Whats that one?

It's been a while but from what I can remember Jake Eddie and Susannah all meet up in NYC in some alternate universe where they are alive or some poo poo. It was terrible and clearly tacked on for people who wanted a happy ending.

• Locked thread