Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

I must be the only person who read The Dark Tower that wasn't bothered by King's cameo.

The characters are climbing up the levels of reality toward our world. They're going to have to face the fact that they're written characters in a story at some point.

It's uninventive and crude. Didn't they have to save him to keep the world from crumbling ala Never Ending Story? It's been a long time so I'm mostly going on my anger about it when I read it.

The ending, by itself, I could excuse. It technically fits.

But the whole arc of them going back to save King was unnecessary, as I remember it, shoehorned in.

And sure, other writers have expressed the same idea. But other writers didn't write themselves in.

We deride writers for making their Mary Sue's too obvious. Roland is not really a Mary Sue. Hell, King isn't a Mary Sue either, because he needs saving... if writers did that more often we'd have a term for it.

But writers don't do it, because it's loving vanity and hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

DiHK posted:

It's uninventive and crude. Didn't they have to save him to keep the world from crumbling ala Never Ending Story? It's been a long time so I'm mostly going on my anger about it when I read it.

But the whole arc of them going back to save King was unnecessary, as I remember it, shoehorned in.

And sure, other writers have expressed the same idea. But other writers didn't write themselves in.

We deride writers for making their Mary Sue's too obvious. Roland is not really a Mary Sue. Hell, King isn't a Mary Sue either, because he needs saving... if writers did that more often we'd have a term for it.

Besides, auto-rhetoric asphyxiation kills.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DiHK posted:

"Hubris" is gilding the lily a little. I doubt King is going to be fatally undone by inserting himself into his story.

Anyway, I don't think it's out of line for a fictional character who is supposedly entering "reality" to confront their creator. If King had invented a fictional author who had created an in-universe novel that featured the heroes as characters, I doubt there would be as much objection. But the fact is they only have one real author and it's King and if poo poo's going to get really really real they're gonna have to confront him at some point and if he dies, then their story ends.

Anyway, wasn't them "rescuing" him just a metaphor for how his passion for working on the Dark Tower series motivated him to clean up his life?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
shame that clint eastwood is too old to play roland. wonder how theyre gonna handle all the "drat honky" talk from susanna when roland is black himself. they could just reverse roles and make her a crazy racist white lady instead i guess. should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

DiHK posted:

No... The roont village was cute but only the first book was the only actually good. It's like Dune IMO, descending in quality until King took a big poo poo on it when he wrote himself in.

although it's more of a spinoff wind in the keyhole was cool aswell imo

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Applewhite posted:

"Hubris" is gilding the lily a little. I doubt King is going to be fatally undone by inserting himself into his story.

Anyway, I don't think it's out of line for a fictional character who is supposedly entering "reality" to confront their creator. If King had invented a fictional author who had created an in-universe novel that featured the heroes as characters, I doubt there would be as much objection. But the fact is they only have one real author and it's King and if poo poo's going to get really really real they're gonna have to confront him at some point and if he dies, then their story ends.

Anyway, wasn't them "rescuing" him just a metaphor for how his passion for working on the Dark Tower series motivated him to clean up his life?

I think you are granting King WAY too much credit here. That said, you are welcome to. Literary Professors and the like have been making a living exaggerating the abilities of hack, mediocre, competent and gifted authors until they are politely agreed upon to be nearly-omnipotent psychic artist-paragons for decades.

I additionally agree that with all else that was painfully bad in the series- and the comparison to LOST is apt- one can certainly say it wasn't King's greasy self-insertion that would have been the straw to break the camel's back. Hell, by the time he did it most people who'd read that far were already committed to seeing it through to the end anyway.

More's the pity for them, us, as King- who perhaps reasonably has a huge problem with writing endings- elects to shove his difficulties on the readership as them just being assholes for wanting some manner of conclusion.

Actually it dawns on me that The Dork Tower series wasn't even the straw that broke ME regarding King's work. That honor goes to CELL and a scene in which two near-brainless levitating psychic psuedozombies fistfight while levitating- over ownership of a firetruck.

... And I have just learned that book was made into a movie. Don't think I'm going to watch that. Not even for Samuel L. Jackson.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 9, 2016

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Yes. This is pretty obvious when Roland and Eddie talk to King in his house. He talks about how he channels characters and stories but also that he's a fat piece of poo poo. Then later, King says to his wife that he's had sudden inspiration to finish the series and also stop drinking and start exercising.

To the people who were annoyed by the meta elements in the series, you have missed the point . The world of The Dark Tower is a place for King to let his weird writer brain go completely free. How writers write and how living characters evolve are major story elements, they just don't become so explicit until book 5. Even in the first book though, he was Roland Son of Stephen fighting a servant of the Crimson King.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Yes. This is pretty obvious when Roland and Eddie talk to King in his house. He talks about how he channels characters and stories but also that he's a fat piece of poo poo. Then later, King says to his wife that he's had sudden inspiration to finish the series and also stop drinking and start exercising.

To the people who were annoyed by the meta elements in the series, you have missed the point . The world of The Dark Tower is a place for King to let his weird writer brain go completely free. How writers write and how living characters evolve are major story elements, they just don't become so explicit until book 5. Even in the first book though, he was Roland Son of Stephen fighting a servant of the Crimson King.

I don't think we missed the point I think we just think it's incredibly dumb.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Hell yes it's gilding the lily; that's my vanity, sweetheart.

You're right, it would not bother me as much if King had dressed up his own cameo as well as Roland or any of the others. Maybe it would have bloated an already needless detour but w/e, it would have required some effort (just more evidence that it should have been cut).

It's like when you have these really famous and talented artists and musicians that start releasing absolute turds because no one wants to tell them "that sucks". He admits that what we do have is just snippets from this "uber-novel" that represents the memory palace of his fiction. The concept of the fiction writer god is perfectly valid, and fits in the context, but after several long eye-rolling segments this felt like lazy literary masturbation.

King wen't through a traumatic thing, and he absolutely should write about it, but save that poo poo for Tumblr Steve.

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

The world of The Dark Tower is a place for King to let his weird writer brain go completely free. How writers write and how living characters evolve are major story elements,

One of those things is story, and the other one is auto-fellatio. This is why editors exist. :colbert:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I'm just relieved because my ex who has the ka tattoo poo poo tried to get me to read it and if I would have gotten through four books to have king write himself in I may have killed her

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oh god. I've read this whole series through 3 times

naem
May 29, 2011

I like to think that in the alternate dimension where king writes a whole series as good as the first book everyone dies of the flu or robot/vampires attack or something, like here in our reality we are safe

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I'm just relieved because my ex who has the ka tattoo poo poo tried to get me to read it and if I would have gotten through four books to have king write himself in I may have killed her

Ka tattoo? She has a tattoo of the word ka??

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

The conceit that anyone who doesn't like something *I* like must simply fail to *GET* it is a very old one and can be found in intellectuals of all flavors on down to bronies and juggalos.

Sure, it's technically possible. There probably are a few people out there who's disdain is entirely the function of misunderstanding the text and whom, if they had understood, would like it for some reason. It's just sheer vanity to imagine it's anything approaching the majority.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think we missed the point I think we just think it's incredibly dumb.

Yeah this

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Snark posted:

The conceit that anyone who doesn't like something *I* like must simply fail to *GET* it is a very old one and can be found in intellectuals of all flavors on down to bronies and juggalos.

Pls come over here and say what you just said to fans of Evangelion.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm crazy enough to do it too. I'd say PM me with the place to go, but Abe banned my platinum away in ye olden days and quite frankly I can't be arsed to re-buy it. Tell you what, just quote me wherever. Close enough.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm torn between wanting to read to weird Dr. Doom fan fiction and just burning all the books in a pyre. I bought them all because my mate was praising them as the greatest and best thing ever but I got to book 4 and just didn't give a poo poo about some cowboy falling in love so stopped.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
If anyone read dream catcher, it's practically a retelling of his experience getting hit by that car. Oh and aliens, psychic special needs children, and possible schizophrenia.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm torn between wanting to read to weird Dr. Doom fan fiction and just burning all the books in a pyre. I bought them all because my mate was praising them as the greatest and best thing ever but I got to book 4 and just didn't give a poo poo about some cowboy falling in love so stopped.

Compromise. Read Wolves of the Calla, then burn it all.

Actually don't. That pains me even to suggest as a joke, however crappy I personally feel the books are. Give them to someone who is desperately bored and can get away with reading to alleviate it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Wolves wasn't that bad until the Snitch throwing Doom Bots.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

I think the snitch throwing Doom bots would have been alright if he'd provided some sort of justification, either in the form of symbolism or something pragmatic like "the bad guy were deliberately invoking familiar imagery in order to blah blah blah." I remember thinking it was cool when reading the actual chapter, but being disappointed afterwards that there wasn't more to it.

Like it might have been cool if the whole snitch throwing Doom thing had been related to some sort of twisted, Thursday Next-type interfictional organization.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

notZaar posted:

Ka tattoo? She has a tattoo of the word ka??

No it's like some circle with a k it's stupid

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Universe Master posted:

The dialogue is really grating though with all the "do ya"s and "thankie" etc. It annoys me more and more each time I read it (I think I've read the whole series around 11 times by now). But yeah it does have its good parts. The sixth is my least favorite but even it has some pretty good sections. The only thing I didn't like at all about the seventh was the crimson king "fight" and everything to do with Patrick Danville, so overall it was pretty good, but those two things are so bad it ruined it for me. I still have no problem reading it though.

The first time I read through the fourth one I hated it - I started reading it on an airplane and got about halfway through and didn't give it another chance for about a decade. Now I think it's one of the best though, unless you don't like backstory/character development. The love story part is kind of irrelevant to the main plot i guess and seemed more like a standalone novel, but it has grown on me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One thing I think we can all agree on is that Oy is the best character.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kosher?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

That's the symbol for kosher foods on groceries lmao

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Applewhite posted:

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Oy is the best character.

A lot of the book barn thread people seem to think Oy is what ruined the entire series and I just don't understand how anyone could htink that

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

A lot of the book barn thread people seem to think Oy is what ruined the entire series and I just don't understand how anyone could htink that

There's something unnatural going on in the "serious" media discussion threads I tell you what.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I've got no beef with Oy. Guessing when you have imagineered all of the actual crap away you have to find some sort of scapegoat for why it still stinks. The parrotdog was fairly harmless, let's blame that.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

notZaar posted:

That's the symbol for kosher foods on groceries lmao

I'm on my phone but just type in ka symbol dark tower and its that thing it's a k with an a being made at the bottom of the k

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
For real though I legit call any adventuring group in any story a "Ka-Tet" since it's a great single word descriptor for the core protagonists of a story.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Because of the importance of ka to the world of King's Dark Tower, many phrases in the High Speech use the word ka, such as:

ka-babbies: young ka-tet members.
ka-tel: a class of apprentice gunslingers.
ka-mai: ka's fool.
ka-me: ka's wiseman; the opposite of ka-mai.
kas-ka: a prophet
ka-shume: a unique feeling that a ka-tet is destined to break soon.
te-ka: ka's friend.
Can'-Ka No Rey: the red fields of none, where the Dark Tower lies.
tet-ka can Gan: the navel (specifically, the navel of Gan).
kas-ka Gan: singer of Gan's song/ prophet of Gan.
ves-ka Gan: Song of the Turtle

http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Ka Symbol front and center here. It's KA. In a circle. Like a mystical cattle brand.

Latest Dark Tower Movie News : A Bunch of Crying Ka-Babbies.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Applewhite posted:

There's something unnatural going on in the "serious" media discussion threads I tell you what.

This is why I hate it when threads about star wars and whatever get gassed in GBS. I want to talk about nerd poo poo with people who aren't utter fanboy lunatics.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you bought all the signed limited books when they came out the whole set is worth like 15k.

Regular 1st editions only like $1200. Only the first four worth anything.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
That's commala crazy!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

The Snark posted:

Because of the importance of ka to the world of King's Dark Tower, many phrases in the High Speech use the word ka, such as:

http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Ka Symbol front and center here. It's KA. In a circle. Like a mystical cattle brand.

Kaka means poop

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
My GOD, this was so OBVIOUS. Surely this could not have been a mistake by King?! What... what could ka-ka be then- Why, it's the series itself! Clearly King hints here that he is in fact trolling the reader.

Well played Mr. King. Well played.

All is forgiven.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 10, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Snark posted:

The last half of that list is from book 5 on when King decided to go full Tolkein with the nonsense made up words. He even cops to it in the epilogue of one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Also agreed that Oy is the best thing about the books and anyone who disagrees is a huge kaka.

• Locked thread