Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

let's just have Vanguard again
Without the lovely case that came with it, hopefully.

Also put Workout in Reserves because god I loving love Workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

symbolic posted:

Without the lovely case that came with it, hopefully.

Also put Workout in Reserves because god I loving love Workout.

Firestarter, Cartel and the Grinder? How does it feel to be Objectively Wrong?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Awesome Welles posted:

For real though, when the gently caress is the next operation, my Steam wallet misses its guaranteed $15.

They're warming up the Source 2 update... it HAS to be that. I BELIEVE

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fennesz posted:

Firestarter, Cartel and the Grinder? How does it feel to be Objectively Wrong?
Surely you jest. Firestarter and Grinder are terrible, Cartel is okay. The only skins I like from that case are Fire Elemental and Cardiac.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Id like to see behind the scenes of csgodevs because what the gently caress are they doing?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Icept posted:

I wish. Also I wish there were map tools akin to their Portal 2 custom map system.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Depths posted:

Id like to see behind the scenes of csgodevs because what the gently caress are they doing?
IIRC there's something along the lines of 3 devs. They're probably playing a rousing game of Go Fish.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Icept posted:

maybe this will fix the planting animation hitbox

it wont

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

symbolic posted:

Someone on the subreddit predicted it to be the last week of February due to the dates of the major qualifier/major.

I sincerely hope it's just soon. I want my skins.

People on the subreddit have said it was going to be every Thursday for the last 2 months

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

yeah but for real i usually get good vibes in games solo

i find calmly repeating the phrase 'good vibes' in a soothing voice over and over does the trick

Unless it's a lobby of shitheads this works pretty well. There are usually 4 cool people and 1 dickhole, so staying cool will get your team to stay cool too.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

hello internet posted:

People on the subreddit have said it was going to be every Thursday for the last 2 months
I predict it will be on a Tuesday

I can't really go through the patchnotes right now, but have there actually been any functional changes other than the R8 and the spray patterns in the last several months? Skins/gloves should take close to zero devtime.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fennesz posted:

This thread boosted my FPS by a lot.

I haven't heard anyone else say anything negative about this tweak, but it did absolutely nothing for my FPS.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

I haven't heard anyone else say anything negative about this tweak, but it did absolutely nothing for my FPS.

What CPU are you using? It likely only works on newer ones that valve haven't coded to be detected by the multi-thread properly.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Ferret King posted:

That's probably because mat_queue_mode defaults to -1, which means the mode is automatically selected. Your game was probably using mat_queue_mode 2 already.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

That's probably because mat_queue_mode defaults to -1, which means the mode is automatically selected. Your game was probably using mat_queue_mode 2 already.

mat_queue_mode 1 has boosted FPS for people with processors that aren't i5 and i7. Worth a shot.

e: It should also be noted that you need to put mat_queue_mode X in your launch options and not in the console. It only refreshes when the game boots so just putting it in your console does nothing.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 9, 2016

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

So I've only played ~5 DM games of cs but I've watched probably ~60+ hours of cs on twitch. I caved and bought my 144hz asus monitor, a NAOS 7000, and a clown-sized mouse pad. I've read this OP, have watched a bunch of YouTube tutorials, have practiced sprays for the guns I'll use and have studied to know basically all call outs. I'm still nervous to play, and I realized.... some people don't do any of this. They just buy the game and play it. I don't know if this should make me more relieved that I won't be "bad" right away, or more nervous to play with shitheads who know ACTUALLY nothing. Lol gently caress

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

goldblums eyes posted:

I won't be "bad" right away, or more nervous to play with shitheads who know ACTUALLY nothing

Yeah with all that gear, how could you wind up being bad?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goldblums eyes posted:

So I've only played ~5 DM games of cs but I've watched probably ~60+ hours of cs on twitch. I caved and bought my 144hz asus monitor, a NAOS 7000, and a clown-sized mouse pad. I've read this OP, have watched a bunch of YouTube tutorials, have practiced sprays for the guns I'll use and have studied to know basically all call outs. I'm still nervous to play, and I realized.... some people don't do any of this. They just buy the game and play it. I don't know if this should make me more relieved that I won't be "bad" right away, or more nervous to play with shitheads who know ACTUALLY nothing. Lol gently caress

lol those clowns not spending dozens of hours studying before buying cs

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Alighieri posted:

What CPU are you using? It likely only works on newer ones that valve haven't coded to be detected by the multi-thread properly.

i5-2500

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

IMO a lot of bad vibes happen in solo queue when someone outright comes out and says something like OMG loving noob orange why didn't you do <insert arbitrary action>. Most of the time if you're abnormally polite when pointing out something, as long as your point holds water, people will be receptive.

Some caveats to this: This advice does not apply if the person is under 16, is Russian, or is indeed a loving noob.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

qhat posted:

IMO a lot of bad vibes happen in solo queue when someone outright comes out and says something like OMG loving noob orange why didn't you do <insert arbitrary action>. Most of the time if you're abnormally polite when pointing out something, as long as your point holds water, people will be receptive.

Some caveats to this: This advice does not apply if the person is under 16, is Russian, or is indeed a loving noob.

I was picking mid earlier when another guy walked into long and died to a push. He then called me out for not trading.

"Uhh dude I wasn't even close to you"

"gently caress YOU human being!"

:downs: Hard to salvage vibes from that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Surely you jest. Firestarter and Grinder are terrible, Cartel is okay. The only skins I like from that case are Fire Elemental and Cardiac.

I don't like Cartels, but overall I like the Vanguard collection, especially the M4s in Restricted rarity instead of bullshit Classified/Covert. I like the Five-Seven in Urban Hazard too. It's a shame they don't drop anymore.

fennesz posted:

:downs: Hard to salvage vibes from that.

They could use some anger management classes in high schools because some of these kids clearly need them (I definitely do too)

nftyw fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 9, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

goldblums eyes posted:

that's 60 hours you could have been playing to be Less Bad

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

With an old CPU like that the multi-core option in the video menu will likely detect it properly. From the comments in the reddit thread its mostly newer CPU's it helps, 5000/6000 series. As ricky was able to saying in a better way then I.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

metallicaeg posted:

that's 60 hours you could have been playing to be Less Bad

Lol that's not it. I didn't start watching cs to get better at the game, I just watched it randomly one day and really liked watching it. about a week ago after watching 4-5 months of streams I bought the game and ya. I hear you though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Elysiume posted:

I predict it will be on a Tuesday

I can't really go through the patchnotes right now, but have there actually been any functional changes other than the R8 and the spray patterns in the last several months? Skins/gloves should take close to zero devtime.
I don't believe so, at least not since the end of Bloodhound.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

goldblums eyes posted:

Lol that's not it. I didn't start watching cs to get better at the game, I just watched it randomly one day and really liked watching it. about a week ago after watching 4-5 months of streams I bought the game and ya. I hear you though.

If you're worried about whether you are going to be bad or not, let me ease some of your concerns a bit: You are going to be loving horrendous.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

qhat posted:

If you're worried about whether you are going to be bad or not, let me ease some of your concerns a bit: You are going to be loving horrendous.

I'm aware hahah. It's like say Golf, you can watch it and understand fundamentals of every part of the swing, but even if you've played 50 rounds you're still seriously godawful. When I said bad I meant "I've never picked up a club and don't know the rules of golf lets play this game!!!" bad. Looking back my post came across weird and like I expect to be good with all my Sweet New Counter Strike Gaming Equipment but not at all lol. I'm excited to start playing though

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
2000 hours of GO, countless hours of goldsrc CS, still bad

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not bad, everyone else just cheats. I mean, puts in lots of effort and thought into the game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i wonder whats gonna become in 2 years of the guy that bought like seven billion op vanguard cases now that they are no longer dropping

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I would be ranked global elite but literally every game this week and last week and also the week before has had a cheater in it, so I'm still just DMG.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

goldblums eyes posted:

I'm still nervous to play, and I realized.... some people don't do any of this.

You are really weird. No one does this

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

I think I like CS because it's the only shooter I've ever played online that I haven't dominated 99% of the matches I end up in. It's frustrating queuing into smurfs and sketchy dudes who wallbang you constantly but I guess that's part of the draw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

goldblums eyes posted:

Noob. I've been playing since 1.3 and I got ranked as DMG out the gate and I'm still bad.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

I think I like CS because it's the only shooter I've ever played online that I haven't dominated 99% of the matches I end up in. It's frustrating queuing into smurfs and sketchy dudes who wallbang you constantly but I guess that's part of the draw.

TBH I miss arena shooters and the lack of popularity in quake live makes me worry that the genre is finished for good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mcvey posted:

i had a blast in the approx 6.4 grillion hours i played 1.6 but my regret is having most of that time be 12v12 not realizing how fun 5v5 is.

one thing i dont regret is kz. always be kzing

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I played an ungodly amount of hours in 24/7 dust2 12v12 and knifepro gungame on cs source. Im truly brainless

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

qhat posted:

TBH I miss arena shooters and the lack of popularity in quake live makes me worry that the genre is finished for good.

New UT looks promising at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
https://gfycat.com/GrandFlippantAquaticleech

lol

Awesome Welles posted:

New UT looks promising at least.

:agreed: