Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for showing all of this off Pete and Amy. This LP was a really fun time and I bet the next one will be good too.

pedrovay2003 posted:

And thanks for the other tips! We kind of thought some of the puzzles were impossible, so having to pick out the solvable ones makes complete sense.
Sometimes you can see if they are doable quite easily. You probably already noticed it, but it's impossible if there is a 2x2 block, where each adjacent element has a different color, e.g.
WB
BW
You can never separate this, since you can't actually form a cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Challenge!

Like I said earlier, the Challenge forces you to evolve your approach to puzzling from a fumbling search method into a lean, mean A* search with a tight heuristic. You gotta train to the point where you look at the panel and just start drawing and make the correct decision one turn at a time. You learn how to spot the impossible puzzles at a glance, how to fumble your way to victory, and how to memorise shapes.

You will also come to forever associate Hall of the Mountain King with mounting terror.

DA NA NA NA NA NA NA
NA NA NA
NA NA NA
DA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAA

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Nice work! I really enjoy the LP. Definitely looking forward to Pete freaking out at another horror game.

I'm also glad your The Pooj avatar has stood the test of time.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I am at 514 +134 and I think the puzzles I am missing are only the challenge puzzles. (and the environmental puzzle hidden in the final video.)

Fake Edit: I was going to try the challenge a few more times but I left this post open and I COMPLETED IT!

520 +134 Well time to do the Eclipse puzzle and look for the last 3 puzzles.

Actual edit: It was two puzzles - The Elevator in the Cave (I never rode it down and I missed a puzzle in the quary...the third was the video.) I AM FINALLY FREE!

Shaded Spriter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 4, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, in the starting area of the game, where you end this final video, there is another extra puzzle. This one was spoiled for me, I didn't notice it either in my playthrough. Hint: It's another pillar puzzle, that when solved enables a floor panel puzzle too

I noticed this last night when I was watching someone else play for the first time, so I loaded up the game to try it out. I just want to say: Jonathan Blow, you are a MASSIVE fucker. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. I spent HOURS trying to make that flower puzzle work. gently caress YOU.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

KillHour posted:

I noticed this last night when I was watching someone else play for the first time, so I loaded up the game to try it out. I just want to say: Jonathan Blow, you are a MASSIVE fucker. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. I spent HOURS trying to make that flower puzzle work. gently caress YOU.

Ahahaha oh god I screamed for an entire minute when I realised.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fedule posted:

Ahahaha oh god I screamed for an entire minute when I realised.

The biggest bullshit is the amount of layers to that drat puzzle. Even if you somehow find the puzzle in the floor, you have to realize that it will help you complete the flower puzzle, then you have to figure out how to make it orange instead of white, which means doing the puzzle wrong.

If there's a more involved environmental puzzle, I haven't found it. That might be the most bullshit thing in the entire game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A fun thing to do once you decide you're done playing the game is go to YouTube and search for a recent 100% speed run (they're defined by things tracked on the save screen, so all environmental puzzles count but not the audio logs). Watching even the first 5 minutes of one will blow your mind.

The current standard seems to be around 2 hours and 40 minutes, which is even more impressive because a full hour has to be spent doing nothing, of course.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Air is lava! posted:

Sometimes you can see if they are doable quite easily. You probably already noticed it, but it's impossible if there is a 2x2 block, where each adjacent element has a different color, e.g.
WB
BW
You can never separate this, since you can't actually form a cross.

This concept of recognizing impossible puzzles is pretty important. Those three puzzles up above the archway in the challenge area, with the blocked starting points? They're all examples of impossible puzzle elements.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As much as I love this LP, I think it's a good thing that it's over. Pete sounded like he was going to have a heart attack during the challenge. Witness isn't a scary game, how are you going to do an actual scary game LP? :v:

That's for the LP, it was a lot of fun witnessing your discoveries as you played.

Bruceski posted:

--the pedestal puzzle (fourth one along) is related to the area after the triplets. You don't need to memorize it, but the ability to hang onto the general gist of the thing is very handy.

If this means what I think it does I am now SO MAD at video games. I knew random flailing didn't seem like the proper way to approach that part even if I did beat the challenge that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FPzero posted:

If this means what I think it does I am now SO MAD at video games. I knew random flailing didn't seem like the proper way to approach that part even if I did beat the challenge that way.

Yeah, knowing that definitely speeds the whole thing up. I can consistently get to the final puzzle (hexagon) right around when Hall of the Mountain King is starting up, then I just sit there and stare at it for the whole song because for as quickly as I can process the other puzzles, something just locks up there, it's completely not in my wheelhouse.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
You mentioned steam achievements in the last video. In case you're interested, the steam version of the game has only two achievements: One for getting the seven laser ending and one for beating the challenge. I guess Blow isn't big on carrots.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

You mentioned steam achievements in the last video. In case you're interested, the steam version of the game has only two achievements: One for getting the seven laser ending and one for beating the challenge. I guess Blow isn't big on carrots.

Nah, Blow loves carrots, though less in using them an extrinsic motivator sense and more in the demonstrating that a carrot is a manifestation of a person's unrealized potential as shown through the lens of an interactive media sense.

Great LP though, even if I did spend several videos wanting to bolt your feet to the ground long enough to think about a puzzle instead of dashing around like maniacs ;)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"In the Hall of the Mountain King" is better with the original choir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAc4qWc7rU

And I guess you guys are so used to nearly impossible puzzles that you had trouble recognizing that some of them were literally impossible. The white dot in the middle of all the black dots, for instance, is impossible to solve. I think the impossible puzzles on the overhead displays are meant to be a warning.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The overhead displays are a timer counting down the bars of music remaining. If you watch you will see them changing the number of dots/blue squares/total size of tetromimos counting down to zero.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 5, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We didn't see it but the impossible puzzles overhead actually change in real-time as the song plays. I don't know what their purpose is unless they're some really obscure method of telling how long you have left to solve the Challenge.

Pete and Amy, would you be opposed to me making a small video of environmental puzzles you're not likely to discover at this point and post it here to show to those without the game? I don't want to show things that you're planning to maybe cover in whatever bonus episode you might do so I'd try to stick to just the really difficult to notice ones.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"In the Hall of the Mountain King" is better with the original choir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAc4qWc7rU

How the heck does GEMA have the rights to that? They'll probably find a way to licence the sound of rain, or the concept of silence next. They are scary.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Air is lava! posted:

How the heck does GEMA have the rights to that? They'll probably find a way to licence the sound of rain, or the concept of silence next. They are scary.
?? Only way I could see them doing it legally would be claiming the rights to that particular performance? They sure as hell can't claim rights to the composition itself.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

I'm also glad your The Pooj avatar has stood the test of time.

The Pooj will live forever in our hearts. Like cholesterol!

FPzero posted:

Pete and Amy, would you be opposed to me making a small video of environmental puzzles you're not likely to discover at this point and post it here to show to those without the game? I don't want to show things that you're planning to maybe cover in whatever bonus episode you might do so I'd try to stick to just the really difficult to notice ones.

We'd both be fine with that. We're planning one more video, so we're pretty much good on our ends. :P

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, I did not expect the size of that internal mountain chamber o' puzzles.

Just that chamber, even without THE CHALLENGE OF THE MOUNTAIN KING, is a good reward for complete laserology.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I got that bonus video done. The Witness: Hidden Environmental Puzzles

Thank you both so much for this LP, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I could contribute to it in some way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FPzero posted:

Thank you both so much for this LP, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I could contribute to it in some way.

Jesus. Some of those are just bullshit

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

Holy crap, this is awesome! :-D I added it to the list of episodes in the first post.

Also, for anyone interested, our Ju-on: The Grudge playthrough has started!

EDIT: Fixed the link to go to the Something Awful thread about Ju-on instead of directly to the YouTube playlist.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 11, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

The trick to the walkway puzzles in the castle that weren't shown off, is that the initial solutions are usually blocked by obstacles if you try to draw them from the central tower. You have to find valid solutions that aren't blocked, and at least one has to be done by resetting the puzzle and doing a new solution from the now-opened exit door.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

FPzero posted:

Some other things that you didn't mention in this video I would like to point out:

If you go on the roof of the Glass Factory before entering it, the puzzle with the vase (at 2:20) doesn't quite connect. This is because each solution to the panel on the entrance door raises the corresponding vase. You need to solve the entrance in the correct way to get the yellow vase to raise and complete the line.

There are actually three puzzles that can be made from the dark walls in town (10:50). One from the central tower, one from the church tower, and one from the tower that has the laser-reflecting panel at the top.

You mentioned that there were several puzzles that rely on the boat (16:40), but not my favorite: You have to go to the dock at the Treehouses, and set the boat to head to the Quarry... while you aren't in it. Then, you have to run through the Treehouses, over the drawbridge, into the Keep, out the back of the Keep, and to the proper vantage point before the boat gets there. The boat provides a connection between two sections of a puzzle that no perspective can connect.

24:30 - "This tree actually has a couple of them. I think it's just two." There are five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FPzero posted:

You know, when you were getting in the elevator at the end there, I was all "oh god, what if there's an environmental puzzle you can only see in the last seconds you have a UI in the elevator?" But there wasn't, and now I don't know what to feel.

• Locked thread