Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think the walking puzzle you're talking about has some breaks in the panels or something to block the player from taking the exact path you're describing.

Some more tips about the walking puzzles: Once you've completed them, you can walk on any panel and you won't undo the puzzle. In fact, you can reset the puzzles entirely and the doors will stay open. Another thing you might have noticed with them is that the panels seem to stay pressed even if you step off them. This means that at any time you can get off the puzzle and go back to look at your progress on it to see if you're going the right way.

Good job on doing the whole light and shadow puzzle area with relatively little trouble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009

Fiendly posted:

In the walking puzzle that stumped them last video and was solved in this one, am I correct in saying that they crossed more of the board than was necessary for the solution? If I understand the colored dots mechanic, they should only have needed to go left one, up two, right one, up two, left two, down two, then straight to the exit instead of all the way to the bottom then back up, unless there are further attributes of this mechanic that I don't get.

So here is why that won't work.
I've drawn your proposed solution and then tinted the problem area. As you can see, this area has both white and black dots in it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

JEBOman posted:

Ah, I get it now. Good to know!

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Watching this it was the first time I noticed that the autumn area had its laser panel already active made me go and watch any/low percent speedruns of the witness...there is a few of those speed runner friendly panels in different areas too it seems.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shaded Spriter posted:

Watching this it was the first time I noticed that the autumn area had its laser panel already active made me go and watch any/low percent speedruns of the witness...there is a few of those speed runner friendly panels in different areas too it seems.
What sort of person speedruns a deterministic puzzle game? And why?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

JEBOman posted:

I've drawn your proposed solution and then tinted the problem area. As you can see, this area has both white and black dots in it.

Ohhh I see now, I kept assuming it was an open-circuit-closed-circuit sort of puzzle mechanic; that's much simpler. I guess this would be the point where I'd be reevaluating the mechanic if I was playing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tlarn posted:

Ohhh I see now, I kept assuming it was an open-circuit-closed-circuit sort of puzzle mechanic; that's much simpler. I guess this would be the point where I'd be reevaluating the mechanic if I was playing it.

I worked out a method for some later puzzles that worked fine until it didn't. When explaining my in-hindsight-really-convoluted method to my brother to see what I was missing, the only reply he could think of was "You're not on the right track, you're not even at the right station, but I wish you were because what little I understood of what you just said sounds like a wonderful puzzle for a different game."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bruceski posted:

I worked out a method for some later puzzles that worked fine until it didn't. When explaining my in-hindsight-really-convoluted method to my brother to see what I was missing, the only reply he could think of was "You're not on the right track, you're not even at the right station, but I wish you were because what little I understood of what you just said sounds like a wonderful puzzle for a different game."

I'm still trying to understand how I solved that castle maze, the one with the different walking sounds, because sure as hell it wasn't by sound (at least not conciously). I think I went with minimizing (or maximizing) the shadows traveled or something, two or three tries and the door opened :shrug:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Post your odd solution in spoilers, please.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Post your odd solution in spoilers, please.

When those puzzles show up I will. Even though it's on the wrong track, explaining it is most easily done by referencing the proper method, and I'd rather not contribute to hiving them early hints on that. I prefer to keep those to places where they're *already* stuck.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I loved those two shadow/light puzzles that were just basically "cut one corner of the grid, you're done". Because why would that ever be a solution?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 4, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up, everyone! This game just got so much bigger.

metalloid posted:

what was that wonderful music you used for the speed up section in part 6?

Okay, so, all of our music comes from bensound.com, and that delightful track is called "Buddy." :D

IronSaber posted:

Regarding the Quarry puzzle area, you should be able STOP LOOKING AT SPOILERS, AMY.

I accidentally revealed that spoiler when I was scrolling on my phone, and I almost started crying.

Bruceski posted:

As long as we don't get out of hand, would you be fine with that sort of thing continuing or would you rather we hold off entirely? I've been trying to keep it to places where you could wind up stuck (the town being full of "you're supposed to learn about all this stuff from other areas" puzzles when others have been tutorials for example) or where the tutorial can let you walk away with an incomplete conclusion (like the dots there. I can't recall if the tutorial had some that broke the cluster rule but it's definitely easily missed).

Amy and I are both fine with that kind of stuff, yeah. I like to think that we're all playing together, and as long as people aren't outright telling us how to solve puzzles without spoiler tags, or telling us about stuff we haven't seen yet, then I don't see a problem.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 5, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I, for one, am looking forward to Pete and Amy's Witness Island 3 Hour Tour.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
It looks like for those three-prong-symbol puzzles at the end, it didn't matter which node you left untouched, so long as you left one alone for the symbol to eat; on the first in the tutorial series of it, different nodes would "ding" depending on the solution you guys popped in. It wasn't actually telling you which node the symbol wanted in particular, it was just picking one.

This feels like an assumption J-Blow banks on so that a puzzle down the way will kick your rear end if you go into it like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A couple of things to hopefully make future episodes easier:
--the symbols on the boat map (29:04 has a good view) are the "core" puzzles in that area, though some of them aren't easily deciphered until you go there and figure those puzzles out. For example just below the current dock is a symbol for those shadow puzzles in the forest and the castle mazes next to it but they're just squiggles. Still, this can be helpful if you keep seeing some puzzle element and want to target the tutorial area, or just for navigation.
--The spot you opened in the symmetry pottery area (the "the wall fell down what the heck did that accomplish" bit) was a dock, though it was shut down at the time. I don't know if the boat unlocks based on number of puzzles or if certain docks start active (I first hit it at a different dock from you) but now that you've activated it all the docks should be available both to disembark at and to summon a boat at.
--The hedgehog/starbursts you guys saw at 35:00 are not the same as the white/black squares you've been working with so far, and have different rules. I have bad eyesight and played at low quality so it took me ages to figure that out.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

You should pay more attention to which of the dots are 'ding'ing.

Also sometimes I feel like you're spending too long on puzzles that you clearly don't have enough information to solve yet, but maybe that's just me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You're not the only ones who found the upside-down Ys totally incomprehensible. I had to go look it up and it's easily the least intuitive symbol.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I caught on to the gimmick from the ramp switch. Seemed pretty intuitive to me. Of course, everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses with the puzzles in this game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't feel bad about the ship puzzle. I've actually gotten 100% puzzle completion in this game and it is easily the hardest one in the game. I think I had to look up maybe 3 of the 600+ puzzles in the game and that was one of them. It is incredibly unintuitive, even if you know what you're attempting to do.

Good job figuring out part of the logic for the tetris shapes in puzzles. Unfortunately, you're still missing the more advanced logic behind the shadows but you'll get that when you visit the area for them proper. In general, the further northeast you go on the island, the harder the puzzles get and the more they rely on you knowing the mechanics behind other symbols. See how the shapes and stars can be seen in that boat dock. The puzzle at the top of the castle also relies on you understanding the mechanics in full.

Keep finding your way to symbol tutorial areas because they will help you keep moving forward! And if you get a chance, you should definitely go back and check out the view from the castle again. You might discover some hidden things as you look around!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Why is the sound so hosed up in places? It drives me crazy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

IronSaber posted:

Why is the sound so hosed up in places? It drives me crazy.

That's just an annoying bug in the game. If your pc isn't quite as good, it happens basically everywhere. Also you get massive slowdown near the river.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The best part of watching Witness let's plays is seeing people learn the wrong lesson from something and silently screaming. Not that I didn't make several of the same errors myself.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

StarkRavingMad posted:

The best part of watching Witness let's plays is seeing people learn the wrong lesson from something and silently screaming. Not that I didn't make several of the same errors myself.

It's when you curse aloud the name of Jonathan Blow and his miserable lack of how to properly teach game mechanics.

Jonathan Blow, more like... Jonathan Blows at making games! :newlol:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The term in pedagogy (ie the study of teaching) circles is "misconception" - like say in maths, maybe you did the first few questions in an exercise using some flawed method or assumption that nonetheless has given you the right answer so far (eg treating the black and white dots as "slalom gates" to pass between), but would not work in the general case. So it's important if you're designing the exercise to throw in questions that flat out don't make sense under common misconception A, common misconception B and so on.

The Witness is pretty good at throwing out "stumper" puzzles every so often that challenge misconceptions like this. A problem with the Witness is that its very non-verbal nature means that there's no-one to turn to and say "ok, what am I getting wrong this time?" - there's no teacher. Other than the ones we make for ourselves by talking and writing about the game, of course.

Some people are better at non-verbal reasoning that others and perhaps can roll through all this on their own, but I like words and know that for some mechanics I had to at the very least browse around for people discussing the game and see what they were saying to each other about a mechanic to get an idea of what it meant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FPzero posted:

Don't feel bad about the ship puzzle. I've actually gotten 100% puzzle completion in this game and it is easily the hardest one in the game. I think I had to look up maybe 3 of the 600+ puzzles in the game and that was one of them. It is incredibly unintuitive, even if you know what you're attempting to do.

In an interview before release, Blow said that some puzzles were hard enough that less than 1% of players would solve them unaided.

In an interview after release, Blow said he was thinking of the ship puzzle when he said that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What did y'all find particularly challenging about the ship puzzle? Trying it before you've done a certain puzzle set will cause problems, and you may think you have all you need to solve it prior to that point. I think the biggest stumper on it is confining your time scale too much. Once you understand everything that's going on, it makes sense.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Speaking of the castle did anyone else see a very large puzzle in front of the gates? Or am I just imagining things?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

tlarn posted:

It looks like for those three-prong-symbol puzzles at the end, it didn't matter which node you left untouched, so long as you left one alone for the symbol to eat; on the first in the tutorial series of it, different nodes would "ding" depending on the solution you guys popped in. It wasn't actually telling you which node the symbol wanted in particular, it was just picking one.

This feels like an assumption J-Blow banks on so that a puzzle down the way will kick your rear end if you go into it like that.

Yeah, the other thing is that the node has to be in the same area as the three-pointed star. I figure that's why the first puzzle kept getting angry when you cut between the star and the node, too.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I caught on to the gimmick from the ramp switch. Seemed pretty intuitive to me. Of course, everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses with the puzzles in this game.

Yeah, the puzzle to raise/lower the ramp made the function of that symbol immediately clear for me too. Though given it's literally the first thing so far that I've managed to beat the LP duo to figuring out, I can't really be talking. You guys are doing great!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I don't know if this has been said before (it's from a while back), but back in the desert area you had that section of ruins that was a start point and a line. Pete tried touching it, but I noticed that you could get light to reflect off of it. Maybe if you get the whole thing "lit up" something happens?

I'm really enjoying the LP! If I had $40 to drop on a game I would definitely pick this up and try the puzzles on my own, but alas. I'm glad you said you were open for suggestions, so that I can try a limited amount, at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It looks like the light coming through the workshop roof is trying to create a path too. So easy to see patterns in dots and lines.

Anyway, I look forward to learning about what the heck those puzzles in the boathouse are on about, but whatever series you're running through now looks neat too.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, part 9 is up. This is an interesting episode, because we get really far without having any idea how we did anything. I mention it in the video, but if anyone wants to help us along with these particular puzzles, feel free, since we seem to be pretty stumped.

Also, here's the promised picture of the cat!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Yeah, I think y'all were way overthinking it in the beginning; it looks like a color separation puzzle, with the added bonus of giving you a way to eliminate one color block in a cordoned area.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

tlarn posted:

Yeah, I think y'all were way overthinking it in the beginning; it looks like a color separation puzzle, with the added bonus of giving you a way to eliminate one color block in a cordoned area.

That's what I was about to say. They're the same shape as the black and white rounded squares and if they were black and white instead of red and green, all of those solutions would make sense. The other colors are just different sorts of 'white' squares. You just need to leave something for the y to remove.

Sort of reminds me of the color filters you'd put on CRTs for old arcade machines and retro consoles.

Oh yeah, wasn't there a broken puzzle on the ground that had one of those ys on it?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 9, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Congratulations, you officially discovered environmental puzzles! Here's a hint I hope will save you headache in the future but I'll put it in spoilers in case you don't want to read it:

Environmental puzzles do not play into the overall puzzle theme of an area. They do not affect your progress at all and are instead considered bonus puzzles for you to complete. Don't tear your hair out looking for them thinking they will hide a key puzzle to progress because they do not.

Additionally, you all are still overthinking the colored squares way too much. They are a simple color separation and their rules still apply no matter what sort of puzzle they are included in. Notice how on the upside-down Y puzzles all of your correct solutions still have all the colors separated out after the Y takes one away? It doesn't matter what color a square is or how many of them are on the puzzle board, if you see colored squares you must separate them from one another.

That's a good cat by the way.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
A quick hint that I am not sure you guys have quite picked up on: when a puzzle element flashes, it is because that specific puzzle element is 'incorrect'. Put another way, your solution is wrong because you haven't solved/used that specific piece.
Even though other people have kind of spelled out the upside down y's (and multiple colors), I think you should watch carefully before and after the y does its thing and I think you'll see what it's doing.

Also, making random guesses isn't as helpful as you'd expect. I understand that it seems like it would be easy to go from a solution to figuring out the rule, but it is far more useful to use the tutorial puzzles to test specific hypotheses. But of course, everyone learns differently.

JEBOman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Here's how the Ys work.

They tidy up. They're a pass, a bye. If there's one condition you can't physically meet, the Y will clear you up.

But the Y is itself a condition so you HAVE to offer up "mistakes" to it.

The "mistake" the Y deletes on a failed solution is arbitrary. It's not a hint.

As for the red/green/blue stuff, well, it's a simple extension of something you understand already.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah you guys are overthinking it, or rather trying to tackle each board as a whole. In Part 8 you seemed to figure out some of what the Y was asking with the on-line dots, but instead of saying "how do these red/green work and Y interact with that" you're trying to make a NEW rule for Y.

The blinking is probably throwing you off as well. I don't know why he didn't make ALL puzzles do that, but blinking means "this symbol is breaking one of its rules" no matter what that symbol is.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 9, 2016

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So, to sum up what people have said.

1. Squares of any colour need to be divided up into their colours.
2. The Y-symbol cancels something in the same area it's in.

Also, the one with the winged feet is Hermes (Mercury if you're Roman).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

So, to sum up what people have said.

1. Squares of any colour need to be divided up into their colours.
2. The Y-symbol cancels something in the same area it's in.

This, plus from what I saw of this video's first puzzle the thing that gets cancelled out has to be causing trouble, since this

wasn't considered a correct answer

• Locked thread