Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

projecthalaxy posted:

He did it during the Summerslam 7v7 where he redebuted, Matt Striker called it, and then Lawler called Striker an idiot.

Wow well thanks, and Striker ruins things yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm not sure how Striker ruined anything? He saw Bryan doing his signature submission, did literally his job by calling the move, and then an old man who has been accused of bad crimes yelled at him for being better at their job.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not sure how Striker ruined anything? He saw Bryan doing his signature submission, did literally his job by calling the move, and then an old man who has been accused of bad crimes yelled at him for being better at their job.

Look at this loving guy

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Last week, former WWE wrestler Kevin Fertig (Kevin Thorn/Mordecai/Seven) got some attention when, during an interview with the Two Man Power Trip of Wrestling podcast, he went off on the subject of the WWE Network and royalties.

I don't watch the Network, I don't have the Network, I just wish the Network would pay me some royalties. I go to the mail every quarter and I get a small check and I say well that's all great but Vince is making billions of dollars off the Network and for some reason my royalty check doesn't reflect that. I keep waiting for it to say this is what you are getting for the Network and the Network doesn't show up there. I often wonder how you are charging for it but I am not getting a cent for it. It is what it is. Maybe one day and now they are just trying to figure out how to pay everyone, they are good about that and they may figure out a way I guess. They are not paying me, maybe they are paying other people. From what I've heard people haven't seen a check for it because to be honest when we signed our contracts it was DVD sales and VHS sales and pay-per-view buys. Now with digital downloads, I just don't know, it is what it is.

Shut up Kevin Thorn. If you don't have the Network that means there are zero people in the world looking up Kevin Thorn content on the Network.

http://www.f4wonline.com/news/figure-four-weekly-282016-kevin-thorn-voices-issues-wwe-network-royalties-more-207236

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

RacistGuidingLight posted:

When I say US y'all say O

US!

O!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Look at this loving guy

I'm just saying this case! Yelling anime names during Yoshi Tatsu matches was bad, knowing the name of a move isn't. That's my point here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, I don't think any retirement segment will top this

(For anybody who says "Cena", there will either be a lot more jokes or no speech because he'll never admit he's retired)

Cena already retired once already, don't you remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdPAbFd_K4I

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hahaha, the video of Bryan's farewell speech that WWE uploaded to Youtube cuts out all the stuff about having sex with his wife. I'll have to look up the unedited segment somewhere else at some point I guess.

They did cut down a 26 minute segment to 5 minutes for YouTube to be fair...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think somebody said he'd already turned down a bunch of non-wrestling roles. Makes sense, he admitted in his book that Sara Del Ray was good despite feeling like he couldn't really figure out how to use his expertise in way that he could pass it on. Great athletes don't always make great teachers, I guess. Ted Williams had the same problem.

Here's a interesting fact: Some time ago, Bryan was in a NWA title tournament, I think the one that happened after they broke off from TNA. Rumour had it he was supposed to win that tourney until he got injured. Had he won and everything else worked out similarly, he would be the only wrestler to hold the lineal WCW title, the WWE title, the ROH title, and the NWA title.

Wasn't he the head trainer for RoH's school for years?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

flashy_mcflash posted:

Shut up Kevin Thorn. If you don't have the Network that means there are zero people in the world looking up Kevin Thorn content on the Network.

http://www.f4wonline.com/news/figure-four-weekly-282016-kevin-thorn-voices-issues-wwe-network-royalties-more-207236

Just wait until WWE releases their new Network special Dead Men Rising 'a 52 part series where we look at every time we tried to get a lovely Undertaker knockoff gimmick over'

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't know if the episode of ECW with the 8-man Extreme Rules match between the New Breed and the ECW Originals is on the network, but that match was really good. Maybe I should watch it and mail Kevin Thorn a nickel.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm just saying this case! Yelling anime names during Yoshi Tatsu matches was bad, knowing the name of a move isn't. That's my point here.

I'm just blaming Striker's call for being the reason why he never did it again. I have no know way of knowing if that's true, but it's Striker so I feel ok about it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

flashy_mcflash posted:

It doesn't matter that he was a nobody, if he's on the Network he deserves to get paid. So does everyone who's on there. The current contracts are utter bullshit.

Writers and actors both managed to win royalties from online streaming. The difference is they had strong unions and went on strike. That's obviously not gonna happen in wrestling so the wrestlers get hosed

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:)

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It doesn't matter that he was a nobody, if he's on the Network he deserves to get paid. So does everyone who's on there. The current contracts are utter bullshit.

Writers and actors both managed to win royalties from online streaming. The difference is they had strong unions and went on strike. That's obviously not gonna happen in wrestling so the wrestlers get hosed

While I agree with this, from what I understand of most royalty situations like this it would probably lead to Kevin Thorn getting a check for 32 cents once a year

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Marquis de Pyro posted:

While I agree with this, from what I understand of most royalty situations like this it would probably lead to Kevin Thorn getting a check for 32 cents once a year

Yeah probably, but the actual amount isn't the point. And it's not as if Vince (or any other head of a major corporation) wouldn't throw a fit if they were hosed out of even a small amount of money.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There are plenty of NFL players who probably have way worse brain damage than Bryan and go on to live normal lives and not go crazy and murder people, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that. I would also bet that in 20 years we'll have a lot better understanding and treatment of CTE so as long as he stays retired and the only wrestling he does is giving his wife the best small package in wrestling he should be fine.

I'm not saying CTE isn't some serious poo poo, but I think wrestling fans have a real 'worst case scenario' view of it due to Benoit

The Benoit stuff happened because Benoit was a violent weird psychopath already before the brain damage. It might've contributed to him actually doing it but he never seemed like a happy or overly friendly person in all the accounts I remember hearing, even from his friends. Unless you have a history of being an abusive crazy man already I don't think brain damage is going to force you into it necessarily, and I don't think possibly stiffing the Young Bucks or Jigsaw counts

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Please apologize to Dr. Maroon.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It actually makes Dean look really good that he's willing to have his rear end kicked by Brock. It's a weird type of "push" but I think this is the rare case where it works. It says a lot about the overall mystique of Brock and the good character work Dean has been putting in.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Don't encourage this poo poo

USO isn't even a country.

USA! USA! USA!

Minidust posted:

It actually makes Dean look really good that he's willing to have his rear end kicked by Brock. It's a weird type of "push" but I think this is the rare case where it works. It says a lot about the overall mystique of Brock and the good character work Dean has been putting in.

He is being booked better than Roman.

- Stands up to the Authority
- Faced off with HHH in the Rumble unlike Roman
- Stands up to Brock Lesnar
- Doesn't care if he has an rear end kicking as he isn't superman
- But poo poo, he still gets up if he DOES get his rear end kicked!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:cry:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man he is really not taking it well. Even in the post-speech interview his only emotion he gave when the guy asked him how he was feeling was "Sad" :smith:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Werent those high profile cte guys also involved in all kind of drugs and poo poo?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Am I too late to give you an O?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Even pre-interview he looks devastated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tiAspAHVLs

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Werent those high profile cte guys also involved in all kind of drugs and poo poo?

A lot of them and we've mostly only studied the brains of people who were already known to have destroyed brains.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
This might be a really stupid question but couldn't Bryan just do in-ring stuff that presents near-zero risk to his head and neck? I mean he seems to really love the business and doesn't want to leave it so why not find a gimmick that'd provide some inherent protection like get into a big suit and join Kaiju Big Battel? Or only work slow-mo gimmick matches in Chikara? Or start a new brand that specializes in methodical catch-as-catch-can 1800s-style wrestling? Those ideas sound like I'm being a sarcastic dick but seriously, if he loves it so much he should just figure something out.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Also it is sweet of her to comfort Bryan after forgetting where he was and what he was doing and violently assaulting Ryback out of nowhere

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

According to the description on Instagram, this is before his segment.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

This might be a really stupid question but couldn't Bryan just do in-ring stuff that presents near-zero risk to his head and neck?

I think this is a long shot, you'd have to be the smartest man in wrestling to make that work.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

This might be a really stupid question but couldn't Bryan just do in-ring stuff that presents near-zero risk to his head and neck? I mean he seems to really love the business and doesn't want to leave it so why not find a gimmick that'd provide some inherent protection like get into a big suit and join Kaiju Big Battel? Or only work slow-mo gimmick matches in Chikara? Or start a new brand that specializes in methodical catch-as-catch-can 1800s-style wrestling? Those ideas sound like I'm being a sarcastic dick but seriously, if he loves it so much he should just figure something out.

The way he made that brain scan sound it seems like he really really doesn't want to risk messing around in anything. It's probably not Edge level "literally can't wrestle ever again" but it's probably not a great idea for him to wrestle any kind of match.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This might be a really stupid question but couldn't Bryan just do in-ring stuff that presents near-zero risk to his head and neck?

ah i remember the last time he tried to do that

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Unless you have a history of being an abusive crazy man already
Have you ever met football players? They're amped-up crazymen and Goodell has spent years covering for them. You will hear about 10 murdered football wives who get no support and are told to keep quiet before you ever hear about a football wife coming forward.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I love you Bryan Danielson you gave me a hug and laughed at my joke and you trained where in Hayward where I grew up ;_;

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The most basic of basic bumps still has you chucking your body at the floor, and he's too proud to want to wrestle in a style where you don't take bumps at all. If he's gonna do anything it's take the William Regal path and try to scout and mentor the wrestlers that will come after him rather than trying to work that kind of style and get whatever glory comes from being Kaiju World Champion while dressed as the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

I mean, a guy like Taker or Andre were able to get by way past their best before date by working a slower style (in the latter case still looking sad as gently caress by the end) but Bryan's not a giant guy and would look silly doing that.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Also it is sweet of her to comfort Bryan after forgetting where he was and what he was doing and violently assaulting Ryback out of nowhere

I'm perfectly fine with this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even near zero risk is still a risk, and there's no "near zero" risk if you're employed by the same company who hires Sheamus.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NienNunb posted:

Am I too late to give you an O?

You are not. It would be very appreciated.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GeneX posted:

So, uh, I just watched Wrestlemania XXX on the recommendation of basically everyone. Holy poo poo.

How the gently caress did it get from something so utterly amazing to the miserable pile of garbage we're at now?

I'm asking seriously here, what happened? I know there's been an absurd amount of injuries to, like, everyone of importance, but that doesn't explain things like the main face of the company (as in, babyface, not "main person") being handled in the worst possible way as compared to what they did with Bryan there, or the Wyatt Family turning from creepy motherfuckers to the guys from duck dynasty, or how the only good parts of the WWE right now are AJ Styles matches, The Miz doing his stuff, the New Day, and R-Truth.

Didn't they learn anything from the positive reaction to letting the crowd favorite be the main guy? Even if everyone else is dead, Ambrose is easily more liked than Reigns and has a hell of a lot more personality to him.

You know I just spent ages typing out this big history of everything that happened leading up to WM30 and after WM30 but really all you have to know is that both before and after it is that WWE top brass never viewed Daniel Bryan as a star. Never. They treated him like an upper midcarder before WM30 and treated him like a midcarder after WM30. The only times WWE treated Daniel Bryan like the star he could have been was at WM30 and in his goodbye speech.

Originally the main event of WM 30 was supposed to just be Batista Vs Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan was supposed to be wrestling Sheamus for the thousandth time. After Bryan won the title they planned to have Bryan feud with Kane in a kooky spooky monster feud that was like watching Stone Cold act scared of Papa Shango after winning the title at Mania until they got to Summerslam where Brock Lesner was going to murder Bryan in a ten minute match that would have been the end of Daniel Bryan in the main event. After Bryan was injured during his feud with Kane he returned at the Rumble and was quickly eliminated by Bray making the fans reject the Rumble for a second time in a row and WWE top brass were shocked because they never thought that the fans really cared that much for Daniel Bryan or even thought he'd win the rumble. And that's not even going into the time they tried to give Big Show the Yes Chant.

Essentially WWE captured lightning in a bottle with Daniel Bryan and they immediately tried to recreate 1guy1jar with it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Smackdown will have a skeleton crew as a German tour starts tomorrow:
http://www.wwe.com/events/wwelive-bremen

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I think this is a long shot, you'd have to be the smartest man in wrestling to make that work.

Not even then. The smartest man in wrestling still tore his back once and quads a lot.

Then there is John Cena. Wrestling as safe as he had for years, taking big bumps like three times a year in a very controlled way, he was wrestling pretty wrecked. Up until his US title run where he took a years worth of big bumps within the first few weeks the inevitable happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

rovert posted:

Smackdown will have a skeleton crew as a German tour starts tomorrow:
http://www.wwe.com/events/wwelive-bremen

I see. Maybe this means AJ and Jericho will get good time.

• Locked thread