Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh! Hello there. My name is Chokington J. "Chokes" McGillicuty. You may remember me from this thing and that thing over there. When I'm not busy appropriating other people's intellectual property, though, I like to pour myself a snifter of brandy, lounge back in my spanish armchair, and play a little game I like to call...

:wotwot: Wot's all this then, wot wot? Wot.

A sometimes-wonky and definitely loving homage to the RPGs of days past, Paper Sorceror is the brainchild of Ultra Runaway Games, a.k.a. Jesse Gallagher in a basement somewhere. Gallagher has put together a hell of an experience for just $5, blending deep party strategy, satisfying treasure hunting, and a light, quirky sense of humor. Beyond that, the stylized graphics are gorgeous, and the story---while paper (:hurr:) thin---nevertheless manages to captivate.

:what: Wait a minute. What are you not telling me?

Wellllllll. The game is not without its issues—above and beyond the handful of glitches/bugs still lurking in the game.

Paper Sorceror claims to emphasize "strategy over grinding." They're kind of right; the party dynamic you choose will definitely color your approach to fights. In addition, your skills use a rechargeable stat called "Energy" instead of standard MP. Wait long enough in a fight, and your energy will fill up again. There's even common skills to speed the process along! Of course, you're getting punched in the face in the process, but such is life.

The problem is that, for all its talk about strategy, the game relies almost exclusively on rare treasure finds to keep your guys afloat. The boss fights are brutal. They often have a floor of six times the amount of HP and defense your guys have, and the skills you have (at least early on) are a drop in the bucket. On top of that, they get some disgustingly broken skillsets that can level an unprepared party in two hits. If you get some rare drops early on, you can handle this, and it's actually pretty fun coaching your guys through a knock-down drag-out slugfest. If you get shafted by the RNG on your way there, you are F-U-C-K hosed. It's flat out bad design, and I won't be told otherwise. :colbert: If you can get over the hump of the first two bosses, though, it's usually smooth sailing from there on out.

Besides that, there actually are places to grind in the game, and you'll probably have to do it to get enough money for some of the high level parts and trainings. So, the game's promotion material is basically a lying liar who tells lies. Lies.

:neckbeard: THERE'S A 1980s MODE?! OH MAN CHOKES IS GONNA PLAY 1980s MODE THIS IS GONNA BE GR—

gently caress you.

I'm not playing 1980s mode. I'm not even playing Hard mode, and here's why. As I mentioned before, the curve is pretty awful over the first two bosses if you don't find good drops. Now take that and multiply it by three, and that's Hard mode. I don't know what 1980s mode is like. I'm terrified of it. You should be too.

(Obligatory "Are you kidding I've already beat it four times :smuggo:" response here. Great, good for you. Now :frogout:)

Normal mode is fun; everything beyond that is a miserable slog. It's another example of people wanting to be punished for playing video games, and I will never understand the appeal of it. Besides, it's not really 1980s era difficulty. Stuff like Bard's Tale was hard as balls, but it was honest. The devs, bless their hearts, really were trying to make a rich and satisfying experience. They just sucked at game balance and didn't know how bad it was until it was out the door. In contrast, the difficulty settings here are mean. More importantly, they're mean on purpose. Ultra Runaway Games just slapped a multiplier on top of all the enemies and left it to you to figure out. It's not ignorance, it's malice, and I will take no part of it.

So no. We're playing Normal. Stop asking.

:confused: Are we going to get the build the party this time?

Nope! Not initially, anyway. I have a particular core party I like to use and already have the characterization for them ready, so we'll be starting with those. Never fret, though! There will be multiple opportunities to decide guest characters and party development.

:ohdear: This isn't going to be another epic, is it? I'm emotionally drained from the last LP cycle and I don't think I can get over you never doing Final Fantasy Legend 3

Nah, don't expect any deep, meaningful philosophy on this one. There's nothing fancy here—just four jerks and a dungeon, the way the gods intended. :patriot: Hopefully, I can endear you to our guys! But, I'm mostly here to show off the game.

:cool: Alright, I'm down! When do we get started?

Right now, in fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Fan Art!

NullBlack presents the epic crossover you've always demanded.

SystemLogoff is what happens when you eat pizza and ice cream right before bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Sxb0zP-Gg

Obscure bit of trivia: FeyerbrandX is the longest running show in syndication.

JamieTheD brings you secrets from beyond the universe: your parking meter just ran out.

FeyerBrandX is the Ringmaster... of our hearts.

And now, a brief message from RickVoid.

quote:

Ugh. This. This is how it starts.

"Killing the Heroes with our over-powered equipment and spells is so boring", you say. So you start carrying around two sets of gear; a weaker set for villager slaying and the like, and you keep your really good stuff in an extra dimensional space for when you decide "it's time to get serious". Next thing you know you're setting up your evil lair at the bottom of a multi-tiered fortress, its halls filled with appropriately leveled encounter groups so as to provide a challenge for invading Heroes, but not too much of a challenge, oh no, not too much, because occasionally you want to face a so-called "Worthy" adversary and get yourself a bit of a workout in the process. Of course, what you don't know is that the "Heroes" are using your seemingly limitless hordes to train themselves up to god-like levels of power and have probably found that loving MacGuffin that will shut-down all of your powers, which you though it was probably safe to stuff in a chest somewhere in your base, so by the time they decide to actually face you you're proper hosed.

I can't believe how much more of this poo poo I've been seeing in recent years. Did you know that the Evil Overlord mortality rate has jumped from sitting in the low teens just a decade ago to over 63% today? I was shocked at how few of my peers were alive to attend my graduating classes Evil Medical School reunion this past may. It's a real problem, and we need to get the word out now or soon there will be none of us left.

From SystemLogoff, the mind that brought you Chokes McGee, comes Chokes McGee: The Chokes McGee Story

We're past our deadline! I want FeyerbrandX on my desk and I want it yesterday!!

Chokes McGee does his patriotic duty. (Heh. "Dooty.")

O SystemLogoff (chan)

I get the feeling we're not in SystemLogoff anymore.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto I - Stanza 1: Lost in a Good Book

Once upon a time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4QmUatyCto

ARISE THE DEMON ETRIG—

Ah, poo poo.

:shivdurf: ...Banan the Warrior, Ricerche the Ranger, Akimi the Mage, and Yawran the Priest.

:shivdurf: But you have all your arms, legs, fingers, and senses intact, so things could always be worse.

GAH wow that's cold.

Still there, though!

Well, here's our lovely starting point. If things look like a bleak and unrecognizable mess right now, that's a feature, not a bug. It'll pretty up real soon.

Paper Sorceror is handled in live 3D. You can bumble around, click on things, and generally steal everything that isn't nailed down. Occasionally, you'll see a little "Search" box appear in the upper right. You can then hit spacebar to get a message of some sort, such as...

:shivdurf: You can slowly feel your magic seeping away, along with your will to stand, escape or do anything that doesn't involve laying down. Whatever kind of magic this is it's truly insidious, you feel yourself nodding off already. You should probably lie down before you hurt yourself.

*yawn* I should probably lie down before I hurt myself.

zzzzzz

Double-clicking objects you come across will use them. Sometimes. Not every item is usable or even notable, but it often helps to click on anything and everything.

Yes, even that.

Especially that :gonk:

:shivdurf: It doesn't take long before you feel yourself slipping into a deep sleep. Right before you slumber, however, you have the distinct impression you're being watched.

:shivdurf: When you open the bag in the center a snake jumps out, and slithers out of the room. When you awaken there's a mouse at the end of the bed, staring at you.

HOLY poo poo IT'S A TALKING MOUSE

Binding souls and calling them when needed... That can be a dangerous power. Dangerous, but useful.

SERIOUSLY A MOUSE IS TALKING TO ME WHAT IN THE EVERLOVING gently caress

Just shut it and listen.

I would like to escape, and I think you can help me. Right now you have been sealed inside a prison of sorts.

Can you have a prison "of sorts"? Isn't that just, like, a prison?

Like I said: shut it. Now, where was I...

The King has been trapping threats to the kingdom in here for decades. I think I know a way to escape but I can't do it alone and a sorceror like you is just what I need.

I don't know how much I trust a talking mouse.

And I don't know how much I trust some jackass with ugly horns, but hey...

This is your last chance, I won't be back. Will you help me?

Alright, fine. Whatever gets me out of this drat cell.

:shivdurf: The oppressive force that was draining your magic is gone, as is the mouse. You hear a whispery voice in your mind.

(I will find you again soon.)

Get out of jail free? More like get out of jail... me. :c00lbert:

*cracks knuckles* Time for some good old-fashioned monster summoning.

In a not-so-subtle nod to Wizardry IV, your party members are actually monsters that you've (presumably) worked with in the past. As our hapless evil-doer gets his mojo back, you'll be able to pick an extra summon from the list. Once you go over three, you'll gain the ability to rotate party members in and out of your active roster. They level up even when they're not in the party, which is incredibly helpful and also takes a lot of the pain out of this whole endeavour.

Party dynamics are the most enjoyable thing about this game and one of the reasons it's so drat addicting. Your cast and crew all have their specific specialties, and their skills often have synergy with other characters' that determine your optimal approach to fights. That sounds like a lot of gibberish, but you'll see it in action soon enough. At any rate, here's our list of baddies and the usual RPG classes they line up with:

Werewolf - Martial Artist
Minotaur - Beserker
Skeleton - Knight
Vampire - Paladin
Ghost - Buff/Debuff Mage
Imp - Mage
Goblin - Thief
Cultist - Cleric
Witch - Healer
Troll - Assassin
Shadow - Gimmick Mage (Random Damage)
Abomination - Tank

I've already decided on our first three party members, but later on, I'll let you guys decide the guest stars in our little misadventure. I'll even let you pick skills! If you don't ask for something stupid, that is. For now, though, we need...

I call to thee, prince of the night, the all-consuming! COME FORTH, AND SERVE!

WHO DARES AVAKEN DE DARK POWER OF—

Relax, Vlad. It's just me.

Oh. Sup, bro!

:respek:

The Vampire comes with the ability to drain HP as well as channel his HP into others. Think of it as redistributing blood for the good of the proletariat party. More importantly, he has access to double-handed swords and some pretty fearsome special attacks. He lacks the ridiculous damage output of the Minotaur or Troll, and his primary gimmick is of questionable usefulness, but hey. You gotta start somewhere.

Hold up. You're telling me we're stuck in a book? Like, an actual book.

Yeeeeah, long story. Let's just say we're not going anywhere anytime soon.

How did you even get me here?

Hell if I know. I was always better at summoning than banishing.

No kidding. You could at least give us bus fare or something.

Do I look like I'm made of money?

poo poo, it's the fuzz

Hey you! How'd you get out of your cell!

Okay. Okay, keep cool, Vlad. Let me handle this.

:shivdurf: In response the guard brandishes his mace and continues his charge. You can tell by the look on his face he's the kind of man whose got something to prove.

You got a way with words, chief.

Hey, gently caress you too.

Combat in Paper Sorceror can be a slog, but at least it's an interesting slog. You'll note the three meters for our guys:

• Energy is what drives our special abilities. It regenerates at the rate of one point per turn. In addition to an energy cost, skills have individual cooldowns on them. You'll have to juggle both available Energy and skill cooldowns as combat goes on. Whether you want to spam your abilities all day erry day or hold onto them until they're truly needed is up to you, your party, and your style of play. If there's one thing you can definitively say about Paper Sorceror, it's that there's a little bit of something in here for everyone.

• HP speaks for itself; if your HP runs out, you drop dead. Since we're playing Normal, we can rest later on to get a dead character back. On Hard and onwards, you can't do this without a(n expensive) healing item, which is one more reason I'm not doing that. Still, it's not all bad, because HP is protected by...

• Defense. Defense is weird and somewhat unpredictable IMO. The max rating is determined by the armor you're wearing, and it automatically regenerates to full after fights are over. When someone hits you with a physical attack, your defense will be subtracted from the amount of damage they do, and that's the HP damage you take. If your defense covers the entire strike, you take no HP damage. However, as you take hits, your defense goes down no matter what. I don't know what the relation is; you'd think it'd be the amount your defense absorbed, but I've seen a lot of examples that suggest otherwise. Nevertheless, defense is a very good thing that will (sometimes) keep your guys from getting their asses thoroughly handed to them. On the flip side, enemies also have a defense rating—some of them mind-bogglingly higher than yours—and you'll have to chip away at them for several rounds to even start doing damage. :sigh:

Alright, let's ice this twerp. Vlad, do your thing.

Look into my eyeeeeees... I am in controoooooool...

OW WHAT THE gently caress

The hell do I even pay you for?

You don't pay me. Anything. At all.

Well, with an atitude like that, can you blame me?

Magic damage is treated differently; it effectively ignores half of your opponent's current defense but does HP damage only. This means that, once an opponent's defense is sufficiently low, you can start torching their HP directly. Also, your spells will get stronger the more you wear them down! It's an interesting dynamic, but the long and the short of it is that we can spam Black Bolt and roast these scrubs nonstop. :supaburn:

Now that we're in the clear, let's start exploring! Might as well take a look at our cellmates first. Maybe one of them can help us?

Maybe not :stare:

Unholy gently caress. What does the king have trapped down here?

Don't know, don't care. Moving on!

Oho! What have we here?

Score. Grab a sack and load up.

This stuff is junk, chief.

Yeah, but it's free junk!

I feel dumb wearing this stuff.

Funny, I'd thought you'd be used to it by now.

Heh.

This equipment sucks, of course, but it's better than nothing. We equip Vlad with his usual starting loadout, plus the helmet that first guard dropped. Meanwhile, the Sorceror is unique in that he can equip a variety of weapons rather than one specific kind. You'd think loading him up with +Magic gear is the way to go, but you often find yourself needing an extra fighter to punch through armored targets. The Sorceror's a well-rounded character and will end up with pretty ridiculous magic stats anyway, so you might as well give him a good solid sword to beat on things with.

Later on, of course, we can get some staves that are both good weapons and boost magic. One thing at a time, though!

Hey, check it out!

Enhance! Magnify!

Examine!

Open!

oh rite

Also, that ring in the back can be interacted with.

:iiam:

aaahahahahaha

Chief?

This bed is so tiny

...okay...

Seriously I have to examine this thing

:shivdurf: Inside is a small wooden idol, carved to resemble a rotund female goblin. Do you take the idol?

*yoink*

Okay. Are we done here?

oh man not even close, I have to see what the sheets are like

oh my god they are equally as tiny and smell great

Okay, seriously. Are you done now?

Yeah, alright.

Let's toss that cabinet before we go.

Works for me.

Ooh, first edition. Bet this'll go for a pretty good amount.

:smug:

Hey! The key on the dresser must go to that chest.

Great! Now we can see what's inside.

Y'know, it's pretty shoddy worksmanship. We could probably just smash it open.

Nope.

C'mon, I could do it! I'm a vampire! I have the strength of ten men!

Ten?

...five.

...five?

Okay, two bears and an anemic dwarf. But still! I could get it open, easy!

Look. Vlad. We're evil and all, but rules is rules.

Bingo.

Restoration crystals! :woop: These things are always welcome. In addition to healing a single character to full HP, it will also resurrect a dead party member (to full HP, I might add). In harder modes, these are the only way to get a dea party member back outside of some stupidly high level skills. They'll see a lot of use in boss fights regardless of what mode you're in. Hoarding these things isn't a bad idea at all, because they are not cheap.

The biggest issue is that they don't recover defense, so your guy is left completely unprotected and could conceivably be put right back down next turn. You'll need to provide some protection pronto if the fight's going to drag on, but it still beats having a useless corpse on your squad.

A'ight, that should be all the loot on this floor. Let's mosey.

...horns?

That's what I said! Stupidest drat things ever. It's like, what are they even supposed to do? Scare us? Grant him power?

Grant him looking dumb, that's what.

:iceburn:

I mean, they're not wrong.

I will kill all of you

Our first multi-enemy fight! Still scrubs, but hey. Blasting them with Black Bolt still works really well, but now that we have multiple targets, let's try some of Vlad's abilities!

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That never gets any less creepy.

A man's gotta eat, bro.

Drain Life is a magical attack that—well, you can figure out the rest. As it's magical, it bypasses defense entirely. Suffice to say the armor on low level guards is... not so great. Between Black Bolt and Drain Life, we don't floor them in one round, but we mop up with our weapons pretty easily on round two.

Well, this probably isn't the way out of the book, but it's a good start.

I don't think we can do this with just the two of us...

No sweat, I've already got another ally. We just need to track down that talking mouse.

...track the what?

The talking mouse! She did a weird magic thing where she broke me out of prison and gave me some of my juice back. She'd be a great addition to the party.

...is it too late to turn in my resignation?

You realize I have a arcane contract with your forbidden true name signed in blood.

...so yes?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hahaha, yesssssss. My sinister plot has finally come to fruition. :allears:

Seriously though, I've been hoping for this LP ever since I mentioned the game way back in the FFL thread.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I am so very happy you're back.

Going to watch this thread for updates all day every day.

:peanut:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh, excellent! A good LPer does a game I've been curious about! I'm absolutely in for this. :D

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hot SEXY drat, it must be double Christmas!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ground Floor to this nonsense.

This sexy sexy talking mouse nonsense. :woop:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well this looks fun.

Action Duck, though. :( What happened?

E:VVV Heh, I meant the LP. :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 9, 2016

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

AlphaKretin posted:

Well this looks fun.

The stipulations and warnings in the opening post? All true.
The game takes a toll.

It is a very hard game to finish, because as you progress, it becomes a very hard game to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing this take on it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
OooOOOOooooh. I'm interested!

Also don't think I didn't notice the mention of your 'apprentice' in the opening movie. I'm already paranoid about it. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The powerful sorcerer and his amazing sidekick managed to defeat some severely underprepared guards, this seems fun. :drac:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SystemLogoff posted:

I am so very happy you're back.

Going to watch this thread for updates all day every day.

:peanut:

In fact, we may actually get updates out the door a lot faster now that the game's divided into little bite-sized chunks and I'm not working on a sprawling epic with hidden plot surprises and tracking things on a crazy pinboard that looks like it's a paranoid schizophrenic's life work and oh god

AlphaKretin posted:

Just came across something in the politics thread that tickled my fancy the right way and thought it was time for a change. :) I really loved the custom one you guys bought me for FFL2, and it'll probably be back, but my current one is topical soooo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Ghost - Buff/Debuff Mage

He's very clearly a bard, his spells are all named as songs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Whose LP is this anyway >=(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Same thing in any game with a useful bard. :colbert:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Yes yes yes yes yessssssss

I started playing this a few months back but never really got into it, so I've been hoping for an LP of it. The fact that it's the continuing adventures of Chokes just makes it even better!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Same, I got about halfway through the game and just ... stopped. Never picked it back up, so I'm looking forward to the adventures of rear end in a top hat sorcerer and browbeaten monsters.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh my god that was the fastest turnaround from start to LP curse that I've ever seen

For those of you that weren't here for the Final Fantasy Legend LPs: things go horribly, terribly wrong in my personal life when I do LPs. During FFL1 all the pipes (this is not hyperbole, it was all the pipes) in the house froze and then burst. During FFL2 I had a wasp's nest show up in my chimney (hence the previous avatar) and then my wife was staying on and off in the hospital for pneumonia and a severe asthma attack.

About 10 minutes ago I got a text message from my wife asking, and this is a direct quote, "Have you published any of your LP yet?" It turns out the heater is making, quote, "a horrible grinding noise" which is not so good what with it being winter and all. The repairman will be out at 2. I'm looking forward to finding out there's a nest of raccoons in there or something. :ughh:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 9, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Not raccoons. Just magic talking mice, that's all.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's that new strain of warm-blooded snow wasps.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's nice that your wife acknowledges the LP curse as a real and true thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's nice that your wife acknowledges the LP curse as a real and true thing.

Considering last time it literally almost cost her her life I imagine there's a reason. :gonk:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If the Minotaur isn't one of the first three I'm not sure whether you should or shouldn't take him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Inducer motor has burned out on the heater it is a $500 repair

LP suspended indefinitely to prevent a meteor from coming out of the sky and striking oh shi

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chokes McGee posted:

Inducer motor has burned out on the heater it is a $500 repair

LP suspended indefinitely to prevent a meteor from coming out of the sky and striking oh shi

Jesus Chokes, the LP Curse REALLY hates you.
Anyhow Yay! New Chokes LP!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ouch that's bad luck. :(

Is your home built on an ancient graveyard or something? But at least it didn't explode.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 9, 2016

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

The game looks neat, but the whole "you should click on everything" bit makes the exploration sound tedious. How tedious is it, really?

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm sure there's a joke to be made about specters creating walls of sound but I'll let it be.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I've managed to beat this thing once on hard, but that involved a hilarious amount of slamming my head against a wall and lucky drops. It's an interesting enough game, and the music tends to get stuck in your head, for either good or ill.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ArchWizard posted:

The game looks neat, but the whole "you should click on everything" bit makes the exploration sound tedious. How tedious is it, really?

Not at all! The "clicking everything" is mostly for finding flavor text and secrets. Also, it's very obvious what to click on; you spend a lot of time in antechambers and hallways, which don't have things like rings, tables, etc.

I mean you'll have to click on loot when you find it, but it's stunningly obvious what you're looking for. Plus, it's loot! Everyone loves loot!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The dungeon environments are pretty sparse, so generally if you see something it's something you can interact with or loot. There's not a lot of pixel hunting.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Everyone loves loot!

Especially Mephistos and Phantoms!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I swear if the Shadow isn't one of your dudes I will be cross.

The Shadow is the best party member.:colbert: And the only character in the game who isn't in Sepia!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Glad you decided to LP this rad looking game. You have my sympathy for your full-blown turbo-JAIDS.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm really looking forward to this, because as Chokes said, the early game is hell. I've yet to get past the first boss and have no idea how any of this works, so I can't wait to see how things go from here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chokes McGee posted:

Considering last time it literally almost cost her her life I imagine there's a reason. :gonk:

Surprised that she knows about this one, then. Here's hoping nothing else happens.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
please dont die Chokes, i love you

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto I - Stanza 2: The Witching Shower

Holy poo poo, Vlad! Good news!

You found a way out?!

No, I've got more of my power back!

Oh... Well, that's cool too, I guess... :sigh:

Look, you're the one that wanted reinforcements. Now quit your bitching and help me etch this circle.

I've never actually seen you do one of these before, chief. What kind of incanation do you—

Hurr dee durr, blah dee blee, Mistress Witch I summon thee~

Wow. What's next? "Through the teeth, over the tongue?"

I only see one necromancer around here, and he sure as poo poo isn't wearing a vinyl cape.

It's leather

*drip* *drip*

I WAS IN THE SHOWER, YOU ASSHOLES!

noice

The next member of the kingdom's least dangerous Most Wanted list is the Witch! She'll be providing most of our healing from here on out. The Witch is a white mage through and through—i.e. if you look at her funny, she will explode into tiny splinters. Nevertheless, she gets DoTs and debuffs along with her terrific healing skills, and that makes her an incredible addition to any party.

Fortunately, enemies don't really seem to have any sort of AI in this game. That's good, because otherwise they'd home in on our new friend and make our lives really miserable, really quickly. Still, Vlad doesn't have to worry about being the primary healer anymore, which means he can start swinging that greatsword of his around with impunity. The Vampire can actually do a staggering amount of damage as a fighter—especially with some of his 4 Energy cost attacks. He gets a nice blend of magic and physical damage, too! Toss in some emergency healing to keep the Witch from getting overworked, and you can already see how are guys are starting to complement each other.

So what have you idiots gotten me into this time?

Long story short: We're trapped in a book.

...a book.

Yeah.

As in, with pages. And words.

Hey, it's not like I saw this coming. The king put four cockstains on my doorstep while my back was turned, and before I even know what's going on, poof. Nothing but sepia tones as far as the eye can see.

Adventurers? Ugh. I thought you had minions to keep those people away.

No, I don't have "minions." I have you assholes, and if I remember correctly, you said not to summon you for guard duty again.

That does sound like something I'd say, yeah.

Wait. You don't have to follow his orders?

...no? All we have to do is show up when called. After that, we can do pretty much whatever.

Son of a bitch

Great. Thanks for that, Willow. That'll be real helpful in the future.

Any time.

Hey, a goblin!

About time we saw a friendly face around here.

Now remember, goblins are known for their stupidity. So, make sure you use really small words.

HI. WE ARE FROM THE JAIL. DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BOOK?

You know I speak Common natively, right?

IT'S OKAY. TAKE YOUR TIME. WE'LL TALK SLOW.

A very strange mouse helped me.

Again with the talking mouse!

...the what?

*thinks for a moment, then gasps*

The who of the what?

Right now you are in a magical artifact of great power, the Librum Claustrum.

Aw, gently caress. Nothing involving magical artifacts and latin ever ends well for us bad guys.

Evil... such as you and I.

That's seriously cute you think you're in my league. Keep swinging for the fences, buddy! Dare to dream big!

You're the single biggest douchebag I've ever met.

Aw, stop it. You're making me blush.

Just tell us more about the book. :ughh:

Dreaming the dreams of madmen. But... as we know that isn't always the case. Sometimes the spells designed to sap our power don't work. Other times the spirit of the book has been known to interfere.

We just left a floor full of corpses behind us. I think we're more excitement than they can handle. :black101:

You killed everyone on Floor 1?!

Yup. Vlad here even drained one of them to a dessicated husk.

It's kind of my thing!

You guys. You're alright after all. :unsmith:

Great! So, you won't mind answering some questions, then.

What exactly is the spirit of the book?

I don't really know, no one does. I think she's an inmate who escaped, like you.

Sounds like the Big Boss around here.

*grumble* Great. Now I have to pay my respects and kiss rear end and yadda yadda. This is why I hate working with others...

What are these gems everyone's carrying around?

For the people in here if offers a brief but intoxicating bit of escapism. Most people here actually use them for currency. After you've been here for so long being able to see the real world, even briefly, is more valuable than any sword or diamond.

Well, we've already looted a bunch of these things. Might as well take a peek at one...

...wow.

Give it a couple hundred years. You'll yearn for it.

Right, we're getting right the gently caress out of here right now. Is there anything we can do to avoid the guards?

Heh, you're lucky you met me. It so happens I—

Hey, that's mine! how'd you get that?

Huh? Oh, I found it while I was ransacking someone's room.

That was my room!

Every chance I get! :mmmhmm:

You scoundrel! ... you remind me of myself when I was younger. :shobon:

On the bottom is a hidden latch. Inside is something I was saving, but you could probably use it more than me.

The Scroll of the Owl gives you an extra point of magic for free, which is really great. Scrolls in general are really great. Reading them grants someone a permanent stat point, and the game will actually tell you which stat it's for before you apply it. Pretty swanky, all things considered. We'll give this scroll to the Sorceror because duh.

Note that you have to toss the goblin's room, steal his idol, show it to him, and then tell him you stole it to get this item. Look, we're evil. We do what we want, when we want, to whoever we want. That's just how we roll. :smaug:

As I was saying—

There isn't much time.

:shivdurf: He hands you a red feather.

There is a safe place where others like you are hiding. If you continue through the cell block you will eventually come across a dark pit. Jump into it, this feather will ensure you wind up at the sanctuary. Good luck. Oh yea, watch out for the knight. He's in charge of this block.

Hey, thanks for all your help.

No problem.

You know, I'm always looking for new talent.

Yeah?

Would you be interested in contract work?

This little black blobby thing is an encounter. Most of them are visible ahead of time; that way, you can plan, heal up, do whatever you need to do. You can also avoid fights that aren't directly in your way. Don't do this, though. You have a fixed number of fights in the game, and you need that XP.

Later on, we'll get jumped by enemy encounters that are invisible. For now, however, that particular headache is a long way away.

Still scrub tier enemies here. The guards can be one-shotted by now, but the squire in the middle takes two hits. Now that we have Willow on the team, we can speed things up a bit with one of her starting skills:

Phantom Grasp is a piddly ice attack that really isn't all that useful in most fights. However, it's still direct HP damage—and more importantly, we're not dealing with Lvl. 8 Heroes or anything. Minor frostbite is enough to make most of these guys gib.

The rest of the fight goes about how you'd expect. We pick up a few levels and new skills in the process—nothing too fancy, and we'll be showing them off in later updates.

Looks like the storeroom. You guys know what to do.

Right.

Not a great haul, but it's a start. Those leather boots are immediately useful, and healing potions of any kind are always nice.

Scouts aren't much more memorable than squires, but they do have a skill called "Trick Attack" that will paralyze one of your guys. Since we're not at full strength yet, this can be problematic.

Fortunately, they aren't known for their armor.

Lesse here... wooden cane... some gems... hey, a note.

We're doing him a favor, when you think about it.

Actually, I think we just killed the guys who lived here.

Even better!

Helloooooooooo.

Our first rare loot shows up! The hide armor actually isn't that big a deal, but +10 Def at this stage is pretty nice. Vlad's the only one in the party who can wear it, so into his equipment screen it goes.

What do you guys think? Pretty pimp, huh?

Yeah. Goes great with the polyeurathane cape.

gently caress you guys it's leather

So, do we actually know where we're going, or...?

Meh. I'm just kind of playing it by ear.

We're doomed.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
from my experience, Bosses tend to be weak to DoT effects since 1. Dots ignore defense which cuts out several rounds of tedium and 2. DoTs deal non-insignificant Percentage damage based on max health which cuts out even more rounds of tedium and 3. all bosses up to and including cellblock 4 can be inflicted with poison, which deals 10% max health each round.

As such Bosses tend to devolve into drop DoTs, survive, drop a second round of Dots, Survive once more, win. Not that surviving is easy but at least killing the boss is taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shiva Asori posted:

from my experience, Bosses tend to be weak to DoT effects since 1. Dots ignore defense which cuts out several rounds of tedium and 2. DoTs deal non-insignificant Percentage damage based on max health which cuts out even more rounds of tedium and 3. all bosses up to and including cellblock 4 can be inflicted with poison, which deals 10% max health each round.

As such Bosses tend to devolve into drop DoTs, survive, drop a second round of Dots, Survive once more, win. Not that surviving is easy but at least killing the boss is taken care of.

We'll get there in a couple of updates but yeah. There are a lot of skills you'll want to stick first before you get down to work on their Defense rating.

• Locked thread