Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Severed posted:

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision.

Wait, I didn't know snapmap precluded and SDK. I thought it was mostly just a way to allow user made content on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but if you read into masters of doom and the history of Id, its pretty clear there was always trouble in paradise.

Like, neither Carmack or Romero could replicate the same magic alone, Carmack made great technical games with poor design, Romero made games with waaaaay too much design that collapsed under their own weight.

But even when they were together, they were constantly fighting. Quake was kinda good in spite of their working together, not because of it. Romero had tons of plans for Quake that got gutted and they ended up just pushing out something that was more like Doom than different from it. That's why Romero left in the first place, he was mad about Quake in the end not having anything to do with the game he wanted it to be. The original idea for Quake was based on some D&D campaign they were playing, where "Quake" was the name of the villain taking over the world (never actually ended up in the game for which he's named). Hell even Doom, the original "Doom Bible" had all kinds of designs that Romero came up with that didn't make it into the game, like having a whole squad of troopers and beginning the game with marines playing poker.

Romero was needed because he has tons of crazy ideas, and without him Id became boring and predictable. But Romero himself is like George Lucas in that he really needs an editor to put his foot down and say "okay, that's too much, we can't do that."

The Doom Bible was Tom Hall, wasn't it?

And yeah, they were constantly fighting, but that's kinda what worked... if they managed to agree on something or even come to a compromise it was almost certainly actually a good idea.

Mordja posted:

Wait, I didn't know snapmap precluded and SDK. I thought it was mostly just a way to allow user made content on consoles.

It's actually megatextures' fault. You basically need a AAA-budget renderfarm to do anything with the engine at all anymore.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 10, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Severed posted:

I'm with you. The exclusion of co-op in a game where the story isn't important doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially considering that co-op modes are becoming a standard feature in many games. The "horde" mode might be ok to a degree, but its not the same thing.

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision. Sure, there might be more low to medium quality maps from the community due to the ease of the tool, but we'll also never get rich content created by indie developers or truly original maps not made from the x amount of templates that snapmap gives you. We'll also never get a true modded-in co-op mode like Doom 3.

I like the general concept of the game, but without co-op and an SDK, it doesn't really feel like a classic id title.

There's no SDK because the toolset they used to make the game, iD Studio, basically requires a full-blown render farm. SnapMap is a way of letting people on consumer hardware make custom content. And, if I remember correctly, it's actually pretty drat powerful despite what the name would suggest.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the visual did get some upgrade from complete poo poo to not complete poo poo but the gameplay has zero old-school to it, it's a completely normal modern shooter, we are luck if they manage to nail a slightly above average fps like the new wolfenstein

program666
Aug 22, 2013

this is slightly better since it actually has rooms with monsters but holy poo poo is this slow as all hell, and it's like 5 monsters, dragon's dogma manages to have way more enemies in a given battle, have no qtes and the movement is way way faster so I guess dragon's dogma is way more of a old-school fps, sorry guys

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i wish theyd go back to stealing pantera songs instead of whatever they got in the trailers

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Conan's gotten a few games a week or two early before, but I don't know that he's ever done a Clueless Gamer for a game 3 whole months before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FWxCb_qU4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

counterfeitsaint posted:

Conan's gotten a few games a week or two early before, but I don't know that he's ever done a Clueless Gamer for a game 3 whole months before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FWxCb_qU4

Hardly any actual gameplay, and I wish it showed more than one enemy on screen at a time.

I didn't know they were still using megatextures; that significantly dampens my enthusiasm.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 10, 2016

halwain
May 31, 2011

I really wanted my old school doom experience interrupted every 5 seconds by a melee execution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Severed posted:

I'm with you. The exclusion of co-op in a game where the story isn't important doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially considering that co-op modes are becoming a standard feature in many games. The "horde" mode might be ok to a degree, but its not the same thing.

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision. Sure, there might be more low to medium quality maps from the community due to the ease of the tool, but we'll also never get rich content created by indie developers or truly original maps not made from the x amount of templates that snapmap gives you. We'll also never get a true modded-in co-op mode like Doom 3.

I like the general concept of the game, but without co-op and an SDK, it doesn't really feel like a classic id title.

To be fair though, part of why Doom custom maps are still going to this day is how easy and simple they are to create, compared to modern maps.

You look at something like Half Life 2, really good custom levels or mods are pretty few and far between. The standard of quality is really high for a mod team to put together, there's SO much work to do.

Something really next-gen like Battlefied 4, NOBODY makes custom maps for those. They're too massive, too detailed. Any attempt at a custom map would look really hideous.

So I think embracing SnapMap is actually the right decision. From what they've shown off it looks really powerful, and they're actually aware of all the custom Doom 1/2 map community and they're specifically targeting them with SnapMap, which I think is loving great.

They at least get it way better than Doom 3's designers ever did.

And did they really say there'll never be a proper SDK? I guess unless they say there's going to be one its kinda unlikely, but even if it existed I think you'd be surprised by how few people do anything with it.

How many custom mods did Doom 3 have? Very, very few. Now doom 3 was more of a horror game than a proper action doom, but the only doom 3 mods I can remember at all are the duct-tape mod for the flashlight and the classic doom mod that recreated E1 of Doom1 in Doom 3, which was cool but not especially amazing.

Keiya posted:

It's actually megatextures' fault. You basically need a AAA-budget renderfarm to do anything with the engine at all anymore.

Yeah, this is the thing. Its just not feasible for free mod teams to make content for Id Tech 6. Its too complex.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

program666 posted:

this is slightly better since it actually has rooms with monsters but holy poo poo is this slow as all hell, and it's like 5 monsters, dragon's dogma manages to have way more enemies in a given battle, have no qtes and the movement is way way faster so I guess dragon's dogma is way more of a old-school fps, sorry guys

Eh, I think you're overreacting. I love me some Dragon's Dogma but no way is it faster. You're only saying that because of differences in perspective from 1st person to 3rd person.

Doom 4 / DOOM features rooms full of imps and cacos, and you have a rocket launcher, and you can circle strafe and shoot them with your rocket launcher. That's old-school and sweet.

We'll have to see how it handles and plays, but I'm at least optimistic now.

Fereydun posted:

i wish theyd go back to stealing pantera songs instead of whatever they got in the trailers

They should just licence pantera songs now. They can afford it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A true test of SnapMap, I think, would be if one could recreate every single level from Doom 1 and 2 in it. If so, party on :toot:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My impression was that SnapMap is going to be released first, and that they would eventually release a full on sdk thing, or just tell people what needs to be done to make your own sdk (sort of along the lines of how early Doom 1 modding actually happened)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A true test of SnapMap, I think, would be if one could recreate every single level from Doom 1 and 2 in it. If so, party on :toot:

This is what I really want, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out full price for a game that might be poo poo but has some cool community content like remade episodes.

(I guess that is pretty much in line with Bethesda's games, but still :v:)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love to see Maps of Chaos 2 or something with remade maps, but with extra spots like stuff on a second, third, and/or basement level :allears:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Timesplitters actually had some pretty complex maps for the functionality it's map editor gave you, although I would imagine that after playing a ton of them they would start to feel kind of samey. That being said, Tenchu 2 had a loving awesome map editor for a console game.

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like if I wanted more doom action, I could simply just play Doom 1 or 2 and its many mods. I did like Doom 3 and Rage though, but those were a bit different.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Timesplitters actually had some pretty complex maps for the functionality it's map editor gave you, although I would imagine that after playing a ton of them they would start to feel kind of samey. That being said, Tenchu 2 had a loving awesome map editor for a console game.

I'm a massive Timesplitters fan, but I never really enjoyed many of the custom maps, because you really were limited to samey-looking blocks. In terms of console map editors for FPS games, I don't think anything has touched the original Far Cry: Instincts (Xbox). My god, it was INCREDIBLE.

Something I would have scoffed at had it not happened to me was getting tired of Forge maps in Halo Reach because of the colour palette used for all of the pieces. I mean, really... it's just a colour (or lack thereof), but godDAMN, did every single Forge map look like poo poo. Again I never would have thought it was possible to be put off from a map editor because of the look, but it happened. Everything was that dark grey steel with a bluish look, and that got tiring REALLY quickly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'd definitely love to remake E1M1 in SnapMap.

From what they've shown it looks pretty drat good. You can do all kinds of things.

Also if that's what you're looking for, have you played

http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3

Its doom 3 so its not like, amazing or anything, but its kinda fun and trippy to run around Doom 1 in the Doom 3 engine.

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like if I wanted more doom action, I could simply just play Doom 1 or 2 and its many mods. I did like Doom 3 and Rage though, but those were a bit different.

I loved timesplitters, and as a kid I loved anything that let me modify the game myself.

Timesplitters maps definitely felt very same-y after awhile though. It helped that there were like 4 different tile-sets that looked pretty different, but still. The premade maps were all vastly better than the custom ones, custom maps were purely interiors, mostly just hallways and the occasional "big room".

I'm a massive Timesplitters fan, but I never really enjoyed many of the custom maps, because you really were limited to samey-looking blocks. In terms of console map editors for FPS games, I don't think anything has touched the original Far Cry: Instincts (Xbox). My god, it was INCREDIBLE.

Something I would have scoffed at had it not happened to me was getting tired of Forge maps in Halo Reach because of the colour palette used for all of the pieces. I mean, really... it's just a colour (or lack thereof), but godDAMN, did every single Forge map look like poo poo. Again I never would have thought it was possible to be put off from a map editor because of the look, but it happened. Everything was that dark grey steel with a bluish look, and that got tiring REALLY quickly.

Portal has a really really fantastic map editor, and whats so great is you can start a map using that, do some quick rough edits, and then pop it into Hammer and do proper map-making from there.

I don't think the portal map editor is on console though.

Yeah FarCry has seen some pretty impressive console editors.

Yeah that's definitely a problem with some map editors. Forge in Halo 5 actually is way more powerful than any previous Forge, people are doing really cool things like loving podracing maps. But even though they went further and let you color your blocks (yay!), the textures for all the blocks are just really lovely flat-shading which looks garbage even if you color it. For the life of me I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking. The textures in Halo 2 look better than the Halo 5 forge textures. Its insane.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
where's that really bad UE4 remake of Doom

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

where's that really bad UE4 remake of Doom

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

:barf:

It looks like a CG clip of a fake videogame from CSI.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

And didn't even use the right song either, that plays during The Pit.

Shameful :argh:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The real question is, are they going to give Doomguy his atrocious haircut from the Doom 2 cover?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

:barf:

It looks like a CG clip of a fake videogame from CSI.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to have seen this in Grandma's Boy or something equally horrible.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

halwain posted:

I really wanted my old school doom experience interrupted every 5 seconds by a melee execution.

Have you heard of the "Tyson" style of Doom speedrunning? Some oldschool Doomers are into that, lots of punching demons in the face etc. I prefer shooting personally, just playing demon's advocate here. Since this is a shooter I'm guessing the ratio of shooting will be a lot higher than in the minute long trailer, they probably just wanna focus on the flashy stuff.

blackguy32 posted:

The real question is, are they going to give Doomguy his atrocious haircut from the Doom 2 cover?

We need that and the denim vest from the Playstation cover, yes!

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Craptacular! posted:

I love Quake 1/2/3, but John Romero is overrated. The only real dud from id after he left and before id turned into a Bethesda brand was Doom3

I can understand why people didnt like doom3, but I enjoyed it despite it being so different. I actually just beat the expansion late last year for the first time.

Id say Quake 4 but that was Raven. It also wasnt horrible, but is an example of how far design and expectations have come since Quake 1/2.

I would like to see a 20th anniversary release of Quake 1 this year for consoles with all expansions and 4 player split screen capable matches.

I am cautiously optimistic for DOOM.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Have you heard of the "Tyson" style of Doom speedrunning? Some oldschool Doomers are into that, lots of punching demons in the face etc. I prefer shooting personally, just playing demon's advocate here. Since this is a shooter I'm guessing the ratio of shooting will be a lot higher than in the minute long trailer, they probably just wanna focus on the flashy stuff.

old doom's melee attacks are leaps and bounds better than a cutscene

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

program666 posted:

I agree. I played a lot of MGSV and stuff like choking somebody out probably takes longer than it does to saw a demon in half in Doom 4. A lot of games have us do things that take more time and are less entertaining than the Doom fatalities, I'm just guessing it won't be as overbearing as the teasers may imply.

You have to search drawers and tables for bullets and stuff in Bioshock (and Fallout is a garbage collector sim), you just get used to the time you're wasting on that stuff, at least here it's entertaining.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember that quake 2 HD remaster that came with quake 4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

program666 posted:

I dunno dude, again I'm mostly against QTEs but old doom involved a lot of sitting in a 1-meter wide corridor holding down left mouse while your chainsaw worked its way through a line of pinky demons. Not particularly engaging.

And if you watch the video on the executions, most of them are very very fast. They did smart things like, on the mancubus, if you just do the execution and walk away it takes all of half a second. You punch the guy in the gut and then in the face, done.

Like they explain, the animation continues, the mancubus like explodes and poo poo, but you're not locked in the animation that whole time. You can walk up, punch him in the face, and then instantly forget about him and shoot other people. Meanwhile he's going through the rest of the animation on his own, but you don't care.

In that way, most of them are really "quick melee animation" + "longer death animation". OG Doom had death animations too.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Doom Collector's Edition is up for pre-order at Gamespot. $120 gets you the game, a metal case, and the 12" revenant statue. Pre-ordering either the base game or the collector's edition gets you the "Exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack:"

quote:

Pre-order DOOM and receive the exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack, which includes one, unique Demon-themed armor set with three skin variations, six Hack Modules - one-time, consumable perks that can give you the edge you need in a multiplayer match - six exclusive metallic paint colors, and three exclusive idŽ logo patterns that can be applied to weapons or armor.

Demon Multiplayer Pack Includes:

Demon-Themed Armor Set
Six Metallic Paints
Three ID Logo Patterns
Six Hack Modules

:gonk:

I'm assuming that there's other ways to get the hack modules but I really dislike the idea of things that give you a straight advantage like that.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 10, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Shoot Agitating Skeleton to skip commercial

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Doom Collector's Edition is up for pre-order at Gamespot. $120 gets you the game, a metal case, and the 12" revenant statue. Pre-ordering either the base game or the collector's edition gets you the "Exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack:"

I'm assuming that there's other ways to get the hack modules but I really dislike the idea of things that give you a straight advantage like that.

one time use hack modules? microtransactions incoming?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Microtransactions, in Doom?

God loving damnit Bethesda :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/695734699289899008

So it sounds like they're a loadout thing, you unlock them by leveling up or playing the game or something, you're probably only allowed to equip one at a time or something, and the collectors-edtion bonus is just an early unlock, not a microtransaction.

Not nearly as bad, but still kinda pointlessly dumb.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

Because to an executive, that screams abject failure.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There hasn't been a single good Doom game since Romero left. Now that Carmack is gone, the chances are slim to none.

Romero might be the biggest douchebag in the history of video games, but he knew how to do Doom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

I know! The fact that they can't help but gently caress everything up somewhat is tanking my interest.

Ddraig posted:

There hasn't been a single good Doom game since Romero left. Now that Carmack is gone, the chances are slim to none.

Romero might be the biggest douchebag in the history of video games, but he knew how to do Doom.

They shoulda just contracted Romero out for this. He probably would have been on board (what else is he doing now, some lovely free2play games?) and he could have come up with a bunch of crazy ideas that they could have then picked from and ignored the too-crazy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Awesome Welles posted:

...generally FPS games still have those nowadays? Even the Call of Duty games have modes like what you're describing (or at least they did up to BLOPS 2, I kinda checked out after).

e: you couldn't use them in CoD matchmaking but you could in a friends-only room, I should specify.