Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:siren: Are you looking for Australian Survivor season 3? Click here. :siren:

-

Survivor airs on Wednesdays at 8pm on CBS! Check your local listings to be sure.

----

Too much money? Smilies.

• :probst:

• :blindside:

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 18 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

----

This Season's Cast

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yay new season.

Also to bring the conversation from the last thread, I find all of RHAP to be an unlistenable disaster.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
feelin' that thread title

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's the deal with the Spencer RHAP? Is he just sad he lost or was there some bigger issue? I'm not a big fan of RHAP interviews either and I'm torn between curiousness to here what irked Spencer and my lack of desire to listen to someone upset that they didn't win a game that they should have realized they were never favored to win if they were realistic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought Spencer was surprisingly upbeat in that particular podcast considering how melancholy he was in his exit interview and the couple weeks after.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Met posted:

I thought Spencer was surprisingly upbeat in that particular podcast considering how melancholy he was in his exit interview and the couple weeks after.
Same. I mean I think he's kind of bummed in realizing that he probably can't win Survivor, seeing as how he made the FTC yet got zero votes, and that also if he'd gone a different path and got to the end with Kelly Wentworth, he'd have lost too, and if he'd gone against Kimmi or Keith he'd probably still have lost. But at the same time I think he's accepted that and is back to feeling okay. He was way more down at the reunion and immediately after, and was way more level-headed and accepting in this latest one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFnc1eozjc

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
When I meet bodybuilders from now on I'm going to steal from Cydney and say it fits them because it's:

quote:

Like a sport and still like super prissy at the same time which blends [them] together pretty well.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Fact: Kaoh Rong means "Awful Tattoos" in Khmer.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Schlonged Again posted:

Fact: Kaoh Rong means "Awful Tattoos" in Khmer.

"Awful Tattoos" sounds like a good merge tribe name for this season.

Also, for the first page:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

God drat, look at those brains.

edit:

aidoru posted:

Is 72 the oldest that's ever been on Survivor?

It's tied with Rudy in the first season when he was 72, but when he came back for All-Stars he was 75.

Ror fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 10, 2016

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Love that the Ciera gif made its way to the new thread.

Is 72 the oldest that's ever been on Survivor?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just realized that Survivor's basically my version of WWE

let's go see how this season's shitshow turns out

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is there a theme for this season? Brain, beauty, brawn perhaps?
edit: found a mirror that works for non usa peeps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPH8DS2Favc

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 10, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

More like Brains, Beauty, Brawn: Can We Make Lightning Strike Twice?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I like how he's changed his verbiage from "0.0% chance of winning" to "going to have a hard time winning."

I should go back and pick out who those were, because at least one will probably make it to the end.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Lampsacus posted:

edit: found a mirror that works for non usa peeps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPH8DS2Favc

Neil's intro at 2:34 is great.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

My hopes aren't too high for the cast but I am looking forward to seeing the crazy poo poo they promised us in the reunion preview last season. Some people gonna get hurt and conditions are gonna be bad enough that they were prepared to have a crew build an actual shelter for the survivors last season :D

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

I just realized that Survivor's basically my version of WWE

let's go see how this season's shitshow turns out

You know what? That's a pretty apt comparison.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

My hopes aren't too high for the cast but I am looking forward to seeing the crazy poo poo they promised us in the reunion preview last season. Some people gonna get hurt and conditions are gonna be bad enough that they were prepared to have a crew build an actual shelter for the survivors last season :D

Conditions were bad enough that someone died when the French Survivor tried filming there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

You know what? That's a pretty apt comparison.

i know right

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
BMC is great tv and is entertaining as hell and if you don't agree you're a dumb stupid idiot.

Pony: BMC
Poison: Douchy guy (Nick I think?)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Based strictly on the image in the OP:

Pony: Neal Gottlieb because he who controls ice cream controls the universe
Poison: Tai Trang because his giant head will cause him to stick out just enough that he'll be the first one voted out

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
My work does a Survivor pool where you draw a name out of a hat, and I ended up with Joseph. Bitter and angry for drawing a 72 year old I drew again and got Kyle. I am not going to win but at least I have muscles, and justice on my side.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Top picks from each tribe based on the Jeff video are Tai, Aubry, and Cydney. I have to say that I felt the intros for all of the brawn tribe were hella short in comparison to some of the love that the other two tribes got, so we'll see if that means anything, which it totally loving won't I'm sure.

Winner: Julia, so maybe Fabio will get knocked off his youngest winner throne.

Wippersnapper posted:

My work does a Survivor pool where you draw a name out of a hat, and I ended up with Joseph. Bitter and angry for drawing a 72 year old I drew again and got Kyle. I am not going to win but at least I have muscles, and justice on my side.

I wish ANYONE but me in my office gave a poo poo about Survivor. :smith:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

What kind of procedures are there in place so that the cast doesn't spoil their outcome to their friends or some random media etc. in the past six months or so? Probably the same as with a shorter time frame but just wondering... is it so that there's three people who know they are in top3 and the jury has cast all votes but they will be read in the re-union show live this spring? I'm asking basic things because so far I've basically just watched some past seasons several years afterward.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bolivar posted:

What kind of procedures are there in place so that the cast doesn't spoil their outcome to their friends or some random media etc. in the past six months or so? Probably the same as with a shorter time frame but just wondering... is it so that there's three people who know they are in top3 and the jury has cast all votes but they will be read in the re-union show live this spring? I'm asking basic things because so far I've basically just watched some past seasons several years afterward.

NDAs, though I'm sure they have told some of their friends/family, seasons have been spoiled before (last season had the first 1/3 or so boots spoiled). And yes, the jury votes have all been cast but none of the cast members know who won (unless they've talked amongst themselves afterwards about who voted for what).

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I'm sure they talk amongst themselves about who's voted for who, but that stuff can be pretty unreliable. When spoilers come out, boot orders tend to be reliable but jury votes are rarely dead-on. The following link is amusing because it seems as if the runner-up of Survivor Panama thought they had won when they...had not (don't click if you haven't watched that season yet)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-461975.html

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Piell posted:

NDAs, though I'm sure they have told some of their friends/family, seasons have been spoiled before (last season had the first 1/3 or so boots spoiled). And yes, the jury votes have all been cast but none of the cast members know who won (unless they've talked amongst themselves afterwards about who voted for what).
I've always wondered how twitter factors into this. I feel the off the cuff tweets cast members make during the season often walk the line and could easily slip into spoiler territory. I'm amazed production doesn't ban them from using twitter during the airing of their season.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lampsacus posted:

I've always wondered how twitter factors into this. I feel the off the cuff tweets cast members make during the season often walk the line and could easily slip into spoiler territory. I'm amazed production doesn't ban them from using twitter during the airing of their season.

They did ban them from using twitter for season 29.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The last season was actually entirely spoiled but for two boots, which were just reversed basically.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The last season was actually entirely spoiled but for two boots, which were just reversed basically.

Who leaked the boot order?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Probably someone from production. It's a several hundred person crew, many of whom are local.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

EngineerJoe posted:

Based strictly on the image in the OP:

Pony: Neal Gottlieb because he who controls ice cream controls the universe
Poison: Tai Trang because his giant head will cause him to stick out just enough that he'll be the first one voted out
You're not allowed to pick Tai Trang as your poison. Please select a new poison

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Probably someone from production. It's a several hundred person crew, many of whom are local.
Doubt it, because it's typically always returnee seasons that get spoiled, which is because those people already have lots of Survivor friends with whom they share some info and then gradually the results leak out. Never seems to happen with 100% fresh meat seasons

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That's a good point. The internet consensus seems to be Russell leaked 20 and 22 because he's a poor sport.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure if you dig deep enough you could find pretty accurate spoilers for this season, after all they filmed it nearly a year ago, which is a REALLY long time for the final 2 or 3 to have to wait to find out if they won the game or not.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Pony: Liz
Poison: Nick

Tribe Pony: Brains
Tribe Poison: Brawn

In theory this is a bad call, but just based on the mix of personalities I'm expecting Brawn will melt down quickly. In my ideal scenario FBI Agent Joseph becomes the rock of the Brains tribe, holding them together.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The only thing I had spoiled for me last season was Terry's exit. This has reminded that I need to unfollow all the Survivor people I follow on Twitter this week. Living in England and having to look at social media at work means I have had random boots spoiled for me after airing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't even get through 20 minutes of Tasha's latest RHAP interview. She's just so incredibly not self-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Inside Survivor has the first 5 minutes here:

http://insidesurvivor.com/first-5-minutes-of-survivor-kaoh-rong-9277

It might also be on CBS.com, but their Ad Block blocking is too strict for me to tell.

Oh and

Poison: Nick

Pony: Debbie

LostRook fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread