Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sagan posted:

*subscribes to the belief that apple products don't get virus' because they don't know how computers work*

*gets a virus*

*it's AIDS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

* claims that they like Apple because they make good-quality hardware *
* doesn't know the difference between RAM and storage space *

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

*wishes that he was using other products*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mooktastical posted:

Samsung'd

Get a Sony, Nexus, Moto, or HTC.

I will take your advice to heart in 2-3 years :cheers:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
tbh macs are Linux pooters for normal people

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lichy posted:

tbh macs are Linux pooters for normal people

as far as I can tell this is why people at work use them (it's an actual usable computer with a Unix shell) but I tried using one at work for a few months to "fit in" and it wasn't worth it

(the keyboard alone :barf:)

Our dev servers run Ubuntu anyway, I just remote into mine from a PC laptop and everything works fine

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

*plays bad games, doesn't use a mechanical keyboard (probably doesn't even know what ot is and why it#s better, loving lol)*

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

loquacius posted:

as far as I can tell this is why people at work use them (it's an actual usable computer with a Unix shell) but I tried using one at work for a few months to "fit in" and it wasn't worth it

(the keyboard alone :barf:)

Our dev servers run Ubuntu anyway, I just remote into mine from a PC laptop and everything works fine

the fact that you work with a Dev server is a testament that the above statement does not apply to you

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
*buys laptop with the same specs as those $800 cheaper literally just for the operating system and the apple logo*

*legitimately thinks "mac" and "pc" are two different things*

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else even make laptops with non garbage build quality anymore?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

THE PWNER posted:

*buys laptop with the same specs as those $800 cheaper literally just for the operating system and the apple logo*

*legitimately thinks "mac" and "pc" are two different things*

It's a side effect of being smug.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like I've always had Thinkpads and other Windows laptops seem like happy meal toys, Macs are like a fifth the thickness of those eighties looking beasts now and I think cheaper for the specs?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

shovelbum posted:

They do now, yes. Five years ago they did not. MS shook the market up with the Surface line.

After a long time of Apple eating up a lot of the laptop market other laptop makers are starting to catch on to the idea that people like when laptops are actually good-looking and durable and have usable trackpads and don't creak when you click the mouse

examples
http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/7/9860958/dell-xps-13-laptop-review-2015
http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/3/9838112/lenovo-yoga-900-review-windows-10-laptop
and obligatory mention of the one just as expensive and hipstery as any macbook
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/21/9574381/microsoft-surface-book-laptop-review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

shovelbum posted:

Most professional line laptops will be ok. Just don't get the low-end pro notebook which is usually still poo poo

• Locked thread