Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Sent from my iPad

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

*puts apple logo decal on prius*

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

*Spends 2k on a mac laptop, goes to college majors in economics then bitches about how none of the stat/econ programs are available for Mac*

This happens to me at the beginning of every semester. What part of Apple marketing screams that the Mac is what you want for graduate level economic course work?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

*Goes to Apple Store in the mall, which is like a going to a restaurant except your waiter is called a "genius" and instead of him serving you food you're pitched Apple products while you try to direct his attention to the lovely POS laptop on the counter*

I think they're pulling one over on you. I've never heard a genius say "I work at the mall".

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

what even stats programs do you people use?

Depends on the prof. we have one that uses TSP/GiveWin. Then we have Gams, Gauss, SPSS, SAS, limdep, NLogit, STATA, and R (which I think is the only one that runs on mac).

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

*Makes drat sure that every person I ever meet knows, without a doubt, that I am an apple fan*

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

literally all of those except limdep and nlogit work on mac

again, weird argument that i obviously care about

I can hardly get TSP to work without using some weird workaround on Windows. Well, they might work on Mac but that's a lot of licenses to offer, they can buy the software on their own if they want it to work with Mac. I spend over 10K on license every year, I don't have the budget to offer more than one platform. I have no idea why we just can't use R, I'm just the tech guy and not an economist but it seems like it does what the others do (hard core SAS programming aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

*buys laptop with the same specs as those $800 cheaper literally just for the operating system and the apple logo*

*legitimately thinks "mac" and "pc" are two different things*

It's a side effect of being smug.

• Locked thread