Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Holodeck = Lowtax Shuts down SA?
Yes - It was inevitable
No - Goons and by some extension the internet cannot die
Maybe - The illuminati/1%
Idiot - I am idiot and there are probably websites dedicated to this question
View Results

• Locked thread
HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

The Holodeck as featured predominantly in post-original series Star Trek Universe.

Basic Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodeck

It's a surprisingly small room that through the use of: holograms, forcefields, transporters, a database of patterns of all known organic and inorganic materials*, and a computer than can render a complete environment* around an individual allowing them to travel seemingly endlessly in any direction*.
*some restrictions may apply

Did the introduction of holodeck technology into human society destroy the last "bastions" of the internet as we know it now? Think of how terrible some of the internet is and imagine people being able to make the internet real. Would this be the straw that broke the camels back of being able to be anonymous and creepy? (using the internet does not make you anonymous and creepy. Just most people. Some are a lot better than others)

From here on out I will only be discussing the subject matter that I know from watching the show. I have started rewatching but I am only on season 2 so I may be rusty. Generally don't poo poo on people for talking about Star Trek wrong.

I believe that holodeck technology broke society so much that we decided to go into space in our pajamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why did they only use the holodeck for dumb poo poo like robin hood or beowful roleplay

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'd use the holodeck to have an orgy with every single version of David Bowie (including the skeleton)

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose
So primarily we see these things on the large starships which fly around on missions which seem to be boring, boring, boring, near death, boring, something never seen before by humanity, boring, boring, boring, magic. My feel from the show is that Starfleet is generally very boring, because space travel is boring even when no human ship has technically touched that space before it just becomes tedious. Then something insane happens and you either survive or don't because space is a cruel bitch.

The long running joke is why is there not a huge waiting list to this magic room where you can almost do anything all the time? Think how addictive an escape this would be? Think internet chat rooms where people bury themselves in social subcultures made specifically to avoid them having to confront consequences.

I would like to say I would love to go skiing all the time. On a never ending hill full of soft, fresh powder. The terrain never has to repeat itself, the snow can be anywhere. Skiing down a black hole while 80s lazers fire around me or anything I loving want (withing reason)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Imagine goatse in a holodeck.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Mad Monk posted:

hello yes i'm here to explore a man's cavernous anus

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
On Deep Space Nine, Quark straight up says people love using the holodecks for sex simulations. I want to know who cleans up alien jizz at the end of the session.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bobert Bobertson posted:

hello yes i'm here to explore a man's cavernous anus

once a week, like clockwork.

i bet kirk put a clock up his rear end at some point.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ralp could take his final form

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Mad Monk posted:

Exactly so online gaming is out on these huge starships because they are out of range to communicate properly. This thing can be lifelike, as in indistinguishable from life. You would not want even a touch of lag ruining your experience. But what about planets? Surely their future land networks could link holodecks across a certain distance.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i would probably use it to reenact historical eventsk ,just like the crew of the tnerprise, bc that is the kind of guy i am

crazy sexcapades not for me

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

angerbeet posted:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

On Deep Space Nine, Quark straight up says people love using the holodecks for sex simulations. I want to know who cleans up alien jizz at the end of the session.

Hologram janitors. Jesus you are dumb as hell. Are you even using your brain?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well I assume the holodeck simply would transport all left over material like organic sheddings, bodily fluids, remnants of props and costumes into it's corresponding pattern and save it in your history. If you remember you can set your holodeck to wipe your "history" after every session

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

HAmbONE posted:

So primarily we see these things on the large starships which fly around on missions which seem to be boring, boring, boring, near death, boring, something never seen before by humanity, boring, boring, boring, magic. My feel from the show is that Starfleet is generally very boring, because space travel is boring even when no human ship has technically touched that space before it just becomes tedious. Then something insane happens and you either survive or don't because space is a cruel bitch.

The long running joke is why is there not a huge waiting list to this magic room where you can almost do anything all the time? Think how addictive an escape this would be? Think internet chat rooms where people bury themselves in social subcultures made specifically to avoid them having to confront consequences.

I would like to say I would love to go skiing all the time. On a never ending hill full of soft, fresh powder. The terrain never has to repeat itself, the snow can be anywhere. Skiing down a black hole while 80s lazers fire around me or anything I loving want (withing reason)

pretty much exactly the "plot" of moby dick.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

can I use the holodeck to create a bunch of holographic computers to mine real bitcoins, then make the computers appear in the north pole so they don't overheat the ship?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what WAS freddie mercury really like i ask myself, actually asking what the holodeck computer thinks he was like

even in the future of space you cannot recover the past...

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm going to save time and assume right now that the op has touched children inappropriately

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i put one holodeck inside another holodeck, and in that holodeck inside th eholodeck, i play solitaire for like 14 straight hours and win every game, whiel in the bigger holodeck i am just inside the othe rholodeck, only simulating solitaire

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

qhat if Q was given to humanity to reveal that they are really just all a big holodeck simulation that Q is running on his unbelievably advanced ship???????

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing that thing uses so much power that it's prohibitively expensive to own a personal one. Maybe the Holodeck is why people enlist in Starfleet.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i bet a household can get a personal holodeck that is like the size of a microwave and you put an apple inside and it look slike an orange

unfortunately it still tastes like an apple

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HAmbONE posted:

Well I assume the holodeck simply would transport all left over material like organic sheddings, bodily fluids, remnants of props and costumes into it's corresponding pattern and save it in your history. If you remember you can set your holodeck to wipe your "history" after every session

What if the holodeck takes that alien jizz and puts it in same general pool of matter for the replicators? So when The Sisko orders his Raktajino he's basically drinking Bashir's jazz.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what are the rules of time vis a vis holodeck and real world? can you change time? speed it up or slow it down? can yhou simulate different gravities? (if not this could seriously interrupt immersion of a different G planet scenario.) i'm just asking for a friend, who is really into dragonball z...

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
our space show sucks so bad that we are putting in an imagination room so we don't have to keep showing space and aliens that look like humans painted a different color because sometimes when people tune in to their space show they'd rather see victorian england instead but with those wacky space characters

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Seizure Robot posted:

I'm going to save time and assume right now that the op has touched children inappropriately

Pretty much anyone that's seen Star Track immediately thinks about how they'd use the holodeck to become Zero Cool in Hackers and gently caress a young Angelina Jolie.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Luvcow posted:

our space show sucks so bad that we are putting in an imagination room so we don't have to keep showing space and aliens that look like humans painted a different color because sometimes when people tune in to their space show they'd rather see victorian england instead but with those wacky space characters

ya so biascally the best loving plot device ever invented since the odyssey, which was the first sci fi novel, where every island they go to has totally different rules but the heroes always win anyways

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

BigBoss posted:

Pretty much anyone that's seen Star Track immediately thinks about how they'd use the holodeck to become Zero Cool in Hackers and gently caress a young Angelina Jolie.

when you say everyone it's bc the scope of your world is basically limited to you and your little bro right? and btw he only think sthat bc you think that ahnd he looks up to you and doesn't have ideas of his own

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The entire TNG series takes place on a holodeck. No humans have left Earth, or even their own homes, since the technology was invented.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when geordi wanted some sweet holodeck time to distract him from his sad, lonely existence he couldnt even imagine doing something more complex than giving vague verbal instructions to a computer. creativity is dead in the federation.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

The entire TNG series takes place on a holodeck. No humans have left Earth, or even their own homes, since the technology was invented.

so it's a phili dick novel?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

qhat if Q was given to humanity to reveal that they are really just all a big holodeck simulation that Q is running on his unbelievably advanced ship???????

Space Descartes.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd eat like a glutton and never gain any weight. It'd be pretty sweet. So sort of like now but right now I'm gaining weight.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

when you say everyone it's bc the scope of your world is basically limited to you and your little bro right? and btw he only think sthat bc you think that ahnd he looks up to you and doesn't have ideas of his own

Dude shut up I love that little dude Mikey is a good kid hea just a little slow OK so lay off.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"picard," said Q, ruefully, "it's true. progress is nothing more than an ever greater complexity of holodeck simulation. even i, too, fear the day when my simulator shall descend on me like a great falcon, and end this darkling farce." picard laughed. he had never known such sweetness in all his life. to be free of all responsibility, and still to be alive. "thank you q. one day you will know the meaning of this thanks, and think of me, long after my final one has become a zero." jean luc picard ate a grape, and gave thanks to the universe for his existence, no matter by what means.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

angerbeet posted:

So in the future everything is all about computers and honestly the Federation has gotten a little soft due to its reliance on technology. There are always people who are very good at electronic devices, taking apart devices to reverse engineer them, and ultimately learning how to break these systems. This analogy includes both hardware and software.

I want you to imagine a world where you're doing your "workout routine" in the holodeck and suddenly your anally raped by your dad made from pictures they found on his SpaceBook (tm) while a literal 30 foot Goatse swallows you whole. Meanwhile this is all being dumped on your public MyFleet (tm) account.

All because you disagreed with the wrong person/alien who wanted to marry his virtual pony and live in a holodeck forever which the government should pay for due to space autism (tm)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Kuato posted:

I'd eat like a glutton and never gain any weight. It'd be pretty sweet. So sort of like now but right now I'm gaining weight.

this is a man who knos how to live, and live well.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I would have like the biggest drum set in the world, tell the computer to give me 8 more arms and go octopus wild.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

space fyad is the best fyad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

HAmbONE posted:

So in the future everything is all about computers and honestly the Federation has gotten a little soft due to its reliance on technology. There are always people who are very good at electronic devices, taking apart devices to reverse engineer them, and ultimately learning how to break these systems. This analogy includes both hardware and software.

I want you to imagine a world where you're doing your "workout routine" in the holodeck and suddenly your anally raped by your dad made from pictures they found on his SpaceBook (tm) while a literal 30 foot Goatse swallows you whole. Meanwhile this is all being dumped on your public MyFleet (tm) account.

All because you disagreed with the wrong person/alien who wanted to marry his virtual pony and live in a holodeck forever which the government should pay for due to space autism (tm)

That's why they dismantled the internet, obviously.

• Locked thread