Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Holodeck = Lowtax Shuts down SA?
Yes - It was inevitable
No - Goons and by some extension the internet cannot die
Maybe - The illuminati/1%
Idiot - I am idiot and there are probably websites dedicated to this question
View Results

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hypothesis: the holodeck makes the worms, but they're dead. It makes them appear to wriggle around because in the context of a ~*world of illusion*~ making some dead worms wriggle a little doesn't really sound too hard. Worf would probably still say the worms suck if he tried eating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HAmbONE posted:

If you are not under the age of 18 you shouldn't be playing
the starfleet shitlords get a pass because they have like infinitely replicated synthofood but you better pull your drat weight

(i don't either)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HAmbONE posted:

SOME people get to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life. The rest is all infrastructure and research. Going on a cruise and not doing anything is boring, going on a cruise and not doing anything while high is boring.

id fix up an old junker ship like the millennium falcon and go explore the galaxy on my own, with my own rag tang crew. nuts to the federation

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Hypothesis: the holodeck makes the worms, but they're dead. It makes them appear to wriggle around because in the context of a ~*world of illusion*~ making some dead worms wriggle a little doesn't really sound too hard. Worf would probably still say the worms suck if he tried eating them.

the only reason they dont try to make life with the replicator is because its supposed to come out hosed up from all the jpeg artifacts in the DNA or whatever. those worms are alive, they are squirming around like that because they are an abomination of life that is in constant pain :eng101:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Rutibex posted:

can replicators make weed? cuz if so i dont really need a holodeck

I think every ship in starfleet has a hydroponics facility.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Rutibex posted:

id fix up an old junker ship like the millennium falcon and go explore the galaxy on my own, with my own rag tang crew. nuts to the federation

A good point but would you be exploring? Also what would you be exploring for? Space ships and space fuel cost mad space bucks.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The holodeck could be like Rocksmith but for actual physical activities. Go rock climbing at 10% difficulty until you rank up and eventually get to the point where you can do the entire drat thing on your own. Same with jogging and running, feel like you're doing an entire 10 mile jog or something but it scales so that you feel like a pro runner until you really are one. Thatd be badass

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HAmbONE posted:

A good point but would you be exploring? Also what would you be exploring for? Space ships and space fuel cost mad space bucks.

i'd go looking for that planet full of primitive Vulcans, they seem bright enough that i could make a deal with one of their kings or something to uplift their civilization with technology. give or take 5-10 years to educate them, and get heavy space industry up and running using replicators (you only need to start with a small one, then just make it replicate the parts for a bigger one, and so on until you get ones big enough to replicate ships!)

i'd go around to all the primitive planets that the federation refuses to help, and i'd use my new space army to press gang them, like Caesar from Fallout New Vegas

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
lol if you don't say "computer, end program" every few days and feel disappointed erry time

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

one of the things i like about star trek is, for what is really a pretty 'soft' scifi they do try to corral all the cheats, saying what if the universe let you do this and this, and everything else is ramifications of that, like proper hard scifi does.

the holodeck is one of those things. subspace is a one of those cheat things in star trek, really the main one. according to the TNG tech manual, if you interfere a graviton beam and a subspace field at a focus, it applies spacial stress to that point. you can then simply change the focus of the beam interference pattern to move that stress point. it's pretty easy to visualise this, too, which is great. so this little effect gives you tractor beams, deflector array, forcefields, the inertial dampening field (which is really a weak forcefield that saturates every room on the ship, holding the objects in place by applying a counterforce exactly opposing ship accelleration) and tangible holodeck objects.

being able to essentially selectively move objects on the microscale too means more than being able to have any texture; the senses of smell and taste both test microsurface detail, which you can fake purely through precise enough force fields. its cool

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

one of the things i like about star trek is, for what is really a pretty 'soft' scifi they do try to corral all the cheats, saying what if the universe let you do this and this, and everything else is ramifications of that, like proper hard scifi does.

the holodeck is one of those things. subspace is a one of those cheat things in star trek, really the main one. according to the TNG tech manual, if you interfere a graviton beam and a subspace field at a focus, it applies spacial stress to that point. you can then simply change the focus of the beam interference pattern to move that stress point. it's pretty easy to visualise this, too, which is great. so this little effect gives you tractor beams, deflector array, forcefields, the inertial dampening field (which is really a weak forcefield that saturates every room on the ship, holding the objects in place by applying a counterforce exactly opposing ship accelleration) and tangible holodeck objects.

being able to essentially selectively move objects on the microscale too means more than being able to have any texture; the senses of smell and taste both test microsurface detail, which you can fake purely through precise enough force fields. its cool

I tried to read this and I am only sure of one thing: it is NOT cool.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

lol if you don't say "computer, end program" every few days and feel disappointed erry time

computer, arch

gently caress

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

CrashCat posted:

computer, arch

gently caress

Now if you did that one day and it worked...

Would you walk through?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

HAmbONE posted:

Would you walk through?

Obviously.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

Obviously.

I guess you could test the water simply by holding an extremity out through the arch. It only takes a few seconds I think for holodeck creations to "dissolve?" outside the operational limits

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HAmbONE posted:

Would you walk through?
Nah, you use the access panel to get yourself cool poo poo. But not like that idiot program that tried to take over the whole ship, you gotta avoid attention

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CrashCat posted:

Nah, you use the access panel to get yourself cool poo poo. But not like that idiot program that tried to take over the whole ship, you gotta avoid attention

If I found out I was a program I'd make the computer give me a bigger dick.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

If I found out I was a program I'd make the computer give me a bigger dick.

Make sure after you make modifications that you set yourself as Read-only

edit: not modications

HAmbONE fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 15, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

HAmbONE posted:

Make sure after you make modications that you set yourself as Read-only

That doesn't sound like a good idea, you'd just reverse Groundhog Day and wake up every day thinking it was the day you were set to read only while the rest of the world went on as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

That doesn't sound like a good idea, you'd just reverse Groundhog Day and wake up every day thinking it was the day you were set to read only while the rest of the world went on as usual

I'm hard light all night long, no need to sleep

• Locked thread