Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35534995

It looks like NK is going to blow up California with a nuclear warhead sometime relatively soon. I am wondering if there is a way to make some money off of this. Maybe a way to induce hysteria while investing in a company that makes bomb shelters?

BOOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is it for your posts?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I hope NK tries so they can be the whipping boy that we use to restart our economy.

That poo poo is gonna fall into the ocean anyway, most likely.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Is it for your posts?

While my posts are, admittedly, the bomb. I was thinking more in terms of a bomb shelter like from the 60s. Stocked with weird crackers and weird candy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i do op send me money

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dont worry dude, theyre not going to

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Chinatown posted:

i do op send me money

I am supposed to ask for a prospectus according to commercials I see on Judge Judy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Of course there are, you dumbass. Have you been hiding in your mothers basement the last 20 years?
Look up Doomsday Preppers.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

dont worry dude, theyre not going to

I live on the east coast and am too old to be drafted so I am not sure I care too much if they do.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Demonachizer posted:

I live on the east coast and am too old to be drafted so I am not sure I care too much if they do.

i was just trying to make you feel better because they totally are going to but this is good news

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
vault-tec reference

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Demonachizer posted:

Stocked with weird crackers and weird candy.

There is nothing weird about Necco wafers :colbert:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i was just trying to make you feel better because they totally are going to but this is good news

Thanks. I hope you live on the best coast too.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

There is nothing weird about Necco wafers :colbert:

They were like carbohydrate supplements or something. The red ones used the food dye that gives you cancer. My grandfather used to have a shitload of the tins that he stole from a school or something. Called them cow candy because he would feed them to his cows every so often as a treat.

EDIT:

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/cdmuseum2/supply/food.html

The candies on the right on this page is what he had. He is now dead but he died from heart disease not cancer so I guess he didn't eat too many of the red ones. Or maybe he ate so many of them that he had a bad heart? I am not a doctor.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Demonachizer posted:

They were like carbohydrate supplements or something. The red ones used the food dye that gives you cancer. My grandfather used to have a shitload of the tins that he stole from a school or something. Called them cow candy because he would feed them to his cows every so often as a treat.

EDIT:

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/cdmuseum2/supply/food.html

The candies on the right on this page is what he had. He is now dead but he died from heart disease not cancer so I guess he didn't eat too many of the red ones. Or maybe he ate so many of them that he had a bad heart? I am not a doctor.

i scrolled to the bottom and lolled at this dude's amazement of the "protective covers" on the crackers. its a really good insight into this guy's life.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i scrolled to the bottom and lolled at this dude's amazement of the "protective covers" on the crackers. its a really good insight into this guy's life.

Autism is a hell of a drug.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
They're called shipping containers.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'd make a shelter out of raw steaks and the heat from the bombs would cook em just right :yum:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I read a book in middle school about a kid who found a bomb shelter and went inside and every minute in the bomb shelter was like 5 years outside so he stayed in there long enough to grow big enough to beat up his brother so I probably wouldn't go in any bomb shelters if I were you.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
if someone can build a home nuclear generator I think shelters would come a long way. like a mini XCOM base.

as it stands now most shelter builders are dumbos who don't properly plan. YEAH your shelter is all nice and YEAH the door is reinforced and blah blah blah blah what happens when someone tries to cut in from the side with an acetylene torch? What happens when your air vents are covered up, whether by nature or on purpose by people trying to get into your shelter? How are you processing/cleaning water? Growing food?

I mean gently caress I watched an episode of some show about preppers and their shelter and this one dude spent like $50k on his shelter and then only had like 4-6 months worth of food. And then it flooded when it rained a bunch bc water just came in through the straight air vents. Cool dude. His door was bulletproof though!

Show me 2 foot thick steel reinforced concrete walls and a Vault-Tec style front door and then maybe we can talk. Some kind of sustainability plan, too, even if you're just gonna be farming chickens and insects.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FishionMailed posted:

if someone can build a home nuclear generator I think shelters would come a long way. like a mini XCOM base.

as it stands now most shelter builders are dumbos who don't properly plan. YEAH your shelter is all nice and YEAH the door is reinforced and blah blah blah blah what happens when someone tries to cut in from the side with an acetylene torch? What happens when your air vents are covered up, whether by nature or on purpose by people trying to get into your shelter? How are you processing/cleaning water? Growing food?

I mean gently caress I watched an episode of some show about preppers and their shelter and this one dude spent like $50k on his shelter and then only had like 4-6 months worth of food. And then it flooded when it rained a bunch bc water just came in through the straight air vents. Cool dude. His door was bulletproof though!

Show me 2 foot thick steel reinforced concrete walls and a Vault-Tec style front door and then maybe we can talk. Some kind of sustainability plan, too, even if you're just gonna be farming chickens and insects.

If you need to stay in a bomb shelter for more than a few days then you're hosed anyways, no point wasting all the time and energy to build something like that.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

If you need to stay in a bomb shelter for more than a few days then you're hosed anyways, no point wasting all the time and energy to build something like that.

Think so? Maybe.

Maybe NK just nuked your particular area before they got wiped out by the counter attack so you just have to chill out for a week or two before the radiation fades a bit and the rescue teams can reach you?

The longterm end of world plan is to use it as a base of operations and a trading post to trade my marijuana crops to others that will arise out of the ashes of the old world in exchange for other things I might need/want.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Colin firze on YouTube made a pretty cool underground bunker in his backyard. Look it up I'm too lazy.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

criscodisco posted:

I read a book in middle school about a kid who found a bomb shelter and went inside and every minute in the bomb shelter was like 5 years outside so he stayed in there long enough to grow big enough to beat up his brother so I probably wouldn't go in any bomb shelters if I were you.

that doesnt make sense

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Google "preppers"

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

computer parts posted:

Google "preppers"

:confused:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Demonachizer posted:

While my posts are, admittedly, the bomb. I was thinking more in terms of a bomb shelter like from the 60s. Stocked with weird crackers and weird candy.

:eyepop:

bradzilla in the owned zone now.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
get blunted in the bomb shelter

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

that doesnt make sense

Sounds more likely he waited for his brother to be in assisted living so he could throttle him.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There are. There's an Estonian firm that's created a tube-shaped bomb shelter that takes only an hour or two to install including digging time with a digger/backhoe not long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

This man didn't have a bomb shelter.

• Locked thread