Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a filthy anti-poopsocking casual so I'll probably make 50 after a month regardless of the grind speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Polegrinder posted:

So I snagged a beta key from that website giveaway linked earlier. First, I'm concerned my computer will be able to run this game smoothly with my poo poo GPU. Second, is this another BnS like game, with lots of flash and no content? I love the combat in BnS and this game looks to improve upon that greatly, but if there is nothing to do at max level except PvP then I want to stay far away. I'm considering giving away the key if this is going to be a poo poo tier game. Thanks

Maybe use your free key to come to your own conclusion? It won't be usable for long anyway.

If you hate grinding stay away.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Demarolath posted:

I learned nothing from my $150 on ArcheAge and bought the $99 founders for this.

I think I'm ready.

If there was any lesson learned from Archeage it was never trust a guild leader with anything more difficult than cat herding. (that and gently caress Trion)

Also nobody should try and give goons orders like "don't attack these dudes because fishing pact". That's like waving a red flag soaked in meat juices to a half bull half piranha.

Just let one's fellow goons roam free, like wildebeests.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gwrtheyrn posted:

The funniest thing about the "fishing pact" was it was written so badly that kimsemus didn't actually break any of the rules

Gold farming was so Serious Business that angry goons chased him into/out of other games. I have no idea if there were other reasons - I don't really know him personally - but it was funny to watch goons act like exactly like the pubbies we make fun of.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

Goon AA drama sounds amazing. :allears:

It was :allears:

I missed a lot of it though. Since I'd already played with "the gang" during the Archeage alpha and spent extensive time listening to personality A causing friction with personality B etc, etc, I saw the goon infighting writing on the wall long before release and come launch rolled on a different server with a small group of other goons I knew separately.

It was the right choice, pity about that game turning into what it was though. Hindsight is easy now of course.

I'm sure that won't possibly happen with Black Desert again! :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

As long as they're active idgaf, but that 80-100 cap sucks.

2 months after launch we'll be lucky to even get 20 people logging in. It'll be plenty then.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like all the pubbies going nuts over not getting a CBT key for a B2P game that gives you CBT keys if you buy it.

I'm not sure if they've thought yet about how they plan on playing the game later.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
AA is fundamentally broken on a client trust level and Trion turns everything they touch into rancid poo poo like the retarded brother of King Midas.

Tying a red ribbon on a turd to pretty it up doesn't stop it being a turd.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can always destroy a guild with neglect. Invite tons of goons, then invite some pubbies, don't promote anyone to officer rank or give anyone else invite privileges. Then just don't log on for a few weeks and let nature take its course.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Touche.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drinkfist posted:

Motherfuckers never learn. Make a world for someone to live in and they will keep players around. Make a single player game and people are just gonna beat it and leave.

All the parts to make a world MMO have been made across many games. Some like this one have all the parts there but refuse to allow it.

What's worse - that it keeps happening or that we're aware of it and keep playing the drat things regardless like the gormless chumps we are?

Trick question because the answer to nearly any MMO related question is a fresh pile of cow manure sticking to the bottom of your boot.

We then walk across the non dry cleanable white carpet that was once our sense of self respect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

amusinginquiry posted:

But what if the next one is good!

I'm sure [next game] will be the one! I'm buying the [$value] founder package right away.

I'm positive I won't regret it this time.

-every goon in this subforum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We need to establish a guild called "No Infighting" with a charter of mutual hate and loathing.

We can use /guild to discuss the merits of various micro breweries.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what would happen if goons all joined some Big Name Streamer Guild but didn't admit in guild chat as to whom was a goon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress all your VOIP options. I'm going to start a goon splinter guild where the only allowed communication is audio morse via a prestle switch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If any goon who kept up with any MMO drama at any point across the past 5 years falls for the same old poo poo that happens every single time we play an MMO together then we just need to point and laugh.

It's for their own good really.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Buffs and nerfs are forever an ongoing thing. Pick the thing you believe to be "cool".

I mean it won't be because goons make terrible life decisions but at least then you won't be slamming your genitals in a car door when [thing] gets nerfed in 6 months and [other class] is rolling your rear end and you're left with nothing but a character you never really liked to start with.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I heard the giant can toss people off cliffs to their deaths in pvp.

If you can make a giant that looks like Ron Perlman then I think we might be onto something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

:laffo:

I'm already seeing Russian forums giving our publisher a "Daun Games" nickname.

Well just so long as they don't call them Trion Games.

:tinfoil:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Patched and loaded just fine for me. :shrug:

Reserved names are unavailable until launch so I can't be "Mostly Harmless" just yet.

So currently I'm "Crude Oil" :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is like a 4 day beta that is getting wiped after and you're focusing on guild recruitment and poopsock levelling :psyduck:

You are definitely in for the long haul come launch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I made my character before I went to sleep. "Full" server but everything seemed really nice, except the mob areas near the start were too crowded but what can you do about that during a new character rush anyway?

Valk combat feels very kinetic so that's nice, the AOE and sustain is pretty good so I think I'll stick to it come launch. I've already resigned myself to being terrible at PVP so I'll take the heal & shield thanks.

The graphics are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but looking at the game world it reminds me of when I first played Far Cry 1 those many years ago. :allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PurplieNurplie posted:

So if you connected the first time on EU servers, is there no way to force the launcher to hit the NA ones? I've changed it back and forth on the launcher and launched it a bunch of times to no avail.

I have a feeling you choose server selection during the install process. Maybe there is a way to change it afterwards but :shrug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

What am I looking at? How do I join the correct server?

I wasn't paying attention before. I have the same server selection and my launcher is definitely set to NA - it tells me that at the login screen and everything.

If this is the EU sever selection then I don't know. Are you Oceanic like me? Maybe we get tossed in with the Euros by default. Or perhaps it's just bugged?

Well for what it's worth the game didn't feel excessively laggy like most of the times I play multiplayer games with Euros from Australia. It actually felt really good playing it... so gently caress it. If I'm stuck playing with Euros then I guess I'm actually going to be ok with that.

:shrug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Septimus posted:

So here's what the ghille armor looks like to other players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbiZ4vmdHRI

lol, just lol

Better ghillie suit than in a FPS.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NeurosisHead posted:

This game looks cool; how grindy is it to feel like you're making progress? Korean games are notorious for being focused on grinding, and every streamer I catch seems to be really into grinding too. I'm a filthy casual who likes to do a few quests and feel like he's making progress though.

It's Korean so very once you get into endgame. Though how much that actually matters to you is a good question since endgame is pvp focused not raid focused - I don't know how much tossing bodies into the fire works vs a smaller number of better geared folks. We probably won't until some time after launch really.

Anyway it plays well enough which is a tick the box for me. So long as Daum hasn't taken too many pages from the Trion playbook I can probably find some value in playing this for a while.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LegalPad posted:

So after testing it out, I can confirm that there's virtually no player-to-player trading as reported. I think all you can hand over is a select few consumables like potions and beer.
You don't even have the freedom to set your own prices on the auction house, instead it gives you a very small min-max range based on the items "current market value" which is apparently set more by the system than players.

As far as I can tell, you can't craft tools or weapons or any equipment for your friends or guildmates. All you can do is post on the auction house at a system approved price and the other player would have to purchase it as if it was from an NPC.
It's hard to even process how :negative: that restriction is when you think about how crucial player interaction is in an MMO.

If it cuts down the industrial level of gold spam bots in most MMOs then I'm all for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wish the actual launch would hurry up and get here. I don't want to invest too much time in a character that's getting wiped in a few days.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Probad posted:

You can always wait for guest passes to start popping up here on launch day.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot we had those coming up. They're 7 days too instead of these shorter beta lengths.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lewtt posted:

you can still do it but now it's also a 50 cent cash item

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a ton of those to the kind of people who are OCD about 100%ing achievements or stat screens and "must" have S rank in everything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

Middleish Europe. I am getting 200-300 ping on average with a 300+ spikes if there are a lot of players nearby. It would be annoying but playable in no-action MMO, but here it is extremely noticeable, especially when using any mobility skill, which usually ends up with lag and me either rubber-banding or being randomly teleported around. On EU server I have sub 100 ping, and the difference in how the game feels and plays is incredible (duh).

That's like a normal day for any Oceanic player used to playing an a NA server. I get 400 or 450+ on an EU server in most games.

You get used to it :shrug: but if you have the option for a better ping then sure, go for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lewtt posted:

:eonwe::eonwe:I need a tally of $100 sperglords who will be playing at the 96 hour headstart:eonwe::eonwe:

If we've got enough, it'd be a nice boon to be able to get a couple guild gathering missions in before $50 and $30 so we can increase the guild cap.

Guild Gathering missions are 90 minute timed guild-wide quests that allow you to keep what you gathered; the only requirement is that the guild collects it during the 90 minutes. It also gives both youAND the guild a respectable chunk of money when you complete, with the personal money based on how much you pine/iron/flowers you got. They're not terribly difficult, but they're gonna require more than 4 people to do reliably.

I can't just start a shitton of them and do them whenever someone feels like it; In addition to the 5 a day limit, they take 20k guild funds to start that we lose it if we don't complete it

Me definitely as one of those $100 sperglords and I'll be "Mostly Harmless".

I hope to make sure I actually roll on the right server come launch :v:

Since gathering is apparently A Thing I guess I'll get a cat pet ASAP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

how much human money do pets cost?

That's the fun thing about video game fake money. You never really know.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You also get 2500 internet monopoly money with the "lol you spent $100" package.

The same package I bought.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I finally clicked that link.

256 pages.

Two hundred and fifty six pages.

:staredog:

Make sure to study hard on your video game exam everyone! :holy:

And god help you if you just wanted to be a casual "fun haver".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

Rift and GW2 are good games for these guys to look at to fix their model.

Rift went f2p and put their costumes at too high of a price point and ended up losing money and players because of it
GW2 has a great dye system that they should try to mirror as much as possible since being able to play dress up with dolls is a huge reason people keep playing it

But normally this is not within a regional teams control. They have to ask the main developer to do any changes and they may refuse to do it.

Rift now has gear slots (earring slots) locked behind the paywall and you can no longer grind them out with in game currency. You used to be able to but Trion decided they wanted more money from their remaining players so they changed it.

Daum copying Rift's cash shop model now would be a pretty bad thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fat and Useless posted:

So uhhh reading the mega guide I stumbled on this:

This poo poo is priority 1 right?

Can we block entire towns off with elephants? I'm thinking we need to try.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My master plan is to stumble blindly around the game world with barely a clue how anything works then refer to guides when I find A Thing and get even more confused.

I'm definitely going to do that AFK fishing I heard about though when I'm doing other stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

Make sure to buy sexy underwear for the +1 luck

I find it amusing that this statement is both correct and not a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The greatest benefit of you owning a ship is saving me the bother of having to get one myself.

Besides it's not like naval combat is exactly going to be a solo activity. You'll want bodies to toss at enemy ships for boarding and so on.