Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Alright so I'll use this thread

kalstrams posted:

Sorceress, Blader, and Ninja have some learning curve. Everything else is playable from the get go.

Doesn't the required leveling account for the learning curve? Based on the XP rates, you'll definitely have time to figure your class out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Not really, since even bad players pose significantly higher threat than any mobs in the game. You will learn what your buttons do, there's no doubt in that, but the key tricky bit of all three classes, i.e. being extremely squishy, is not something put to a test during the grind. Sure, mobs can and will kill you, but it won't be Ranger McSpergisson which kills you in 0.5x A presses that you will gain your levels upon.

Oh yeah, I've heard that there's practically no difficulty in a review someone did of the Korean release. I look forward to taking advantage of this in the PVP early on.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Are people exaggerating how grindy this is? Because I want to play, but I'm definitely going blader (when they release the class) so that means two characters.
Not to mention the poo poo I've been reading about how NA's XP rates are like 4-5 times less than Korea's, which is insane to me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
hi
page 2?
edit: nope

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Godmode Enabled posted:

Ground Floor :toot:

I hope they increase max guild size on NA version. I think its like 80-100

Can they increase it without changing the rule set entirely? Seems like guilds actually have a purpose beyond large but private chat channels.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mjolnerd posted:

If anyone is on the fence about spending :20bux::20bux::10bux: for beta access, there's a key giveaway over here:

http://www.mmogames.com/giveaways/black-desert-online-cbt2-key-giveaway/

I signed up for that lovely site and got "there are no keys left"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

CrashCat posted:

There are rumblings on Twitter that CBT2 keys went out to fansites today, so get ready to hunt for them in the next few days. Some of them gave out CBT1 keys to the first people to click so finding them somewhat promptly is important. I haven't spotted any like that yet though, just the bullshit contests.

Post links if you find any.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

See, that's the thing. They've shown will to implement dumb changes based on incompetent wishes, so I don't hold my breath that from here on it shall be flawless. Besides that, you never know with modern KMMOs if 90% of population won't abandon the game after a week or two for one reason or another.

How well this EU/NA ArcheAge do after the release? It had triple the preorders compared to BDO.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I was born on the wrong coast for that.

Keep in mind that this is Buy2Play so as long as the cash shop isn't complete and utter bullshit, it'll do well. The general MMO playing public knows the Black Desert name after years of hype so if they're not playing at launch, they'll be playing soon after.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So here's the problem with that. That's a list of the things the game had in it in the closed beta for its actual release that were changed and things that were promised and not delivered on.

Daum and Pearl Abyss hosed their own game ridiculously hard and anyone who has been paying attention to this game for more than the thirty seconds they spent reading lewtt's OP knows that. loving Dark Souls of all things does it better. I'm not bitter about this game for some obscure reason, I'm bitter because the developers took something that could have been god drat amazing and made it a mediocre wet fart of a game that does worse than a single player with optional multiplayer action RPG from 2011.

I've complained about pretty much everything on that list, I'm greatly disappointed that it's not the same game that was being hyped up back in 2012 but I can't really blame Daum's Western division for any of it. Without completely overhauling core mechanics, I don't see what they could've done, especially this far behind where the Korean version is right now.

Velencia looks like it's a step in the right direction, and who knows where it'll be two years from now but I've just learned to settle for what it is rather than what it could be. I have Chronicles of Elyria for that MMO pipe dream.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

So let me get this straight since everyone seems to hate it, I can't walk around and punch guys and have fun with this for a month for $30?

I think the general consensus is disappointment over what it could've been as initially announced/advertised. Worth :10bux: + :20bux: imo

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 11, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Albion had goonfuckery, but it wasn't as good as Archeage

The way you guys talk about it makes me wish I didn't give up halfway through leveling.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Check this thread out. He thinks there's gonna be political conspiracies, guild spies and warning players to be extremely calculative in their affiliations with certain guilds because if the guild dies and you're friends with the wrong people, you're hosed

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/11313-surviving-the-sandbox-a-guide/&page=1

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It is very important for you to know that every decision you make from now until the end of your Black Desert career will be experience-altering. For example, the guild you join now will determine your future in the game. If the guild you join implodes, fails, or becomes redundant you will be associated with that guilds failure. Your past enemies will likely not recruit you and you will not find it easy to get a new home.

Be careful who you trust. Trusting the wrong person can be costly for a number of reasons and you should remain guarded and avoid trusting people unless you have very good reason. There are people that will betray you just for fun or use you as a tool for espionage campaigns waged by experienced spies within your guild.

Never let your plans be known - not even to your members, if you are a leader. Make calls to arms (CTA) but do not inform them why. " Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt "

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Christ, they're already hyping up another Korean MMO called Bless before this one even launches. Will this genre's fans never learn?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

It's not really just fans. Black Desert was sitting at 80th place in the Korean online game rankings, as in dead. Hence, time to make more money with new game, since people do play MMOs.

What I do not quite get though, is why Korean developers keep trying to make PvP games like ArcheAge or Black Desert, if modern Korean MMORPG player has a strong disdain for PvP?

Also, Bless is shaping up to be just a flyby themepark MMO.

Is the Asian market enough to justify not going all out with a proper sandbox, which people have been begging for in Western markets for the past decade? I'm asking because I really don't know.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

I live in the future where these morons make the same failing garbage on repeat for over a decade and refuse to attempt a change of approach. Some of the poo poo was pants on head retarded where the objective was incredibly simple a toddler could do it. Things like "Make an Elder Scrolls game multiplayer" or "Make a game called Guild Wars focused on Guild Wars".

gently caress this gay earth.

If you told me thirteen years ago that Star Wars Galaxies would be the last proper sandbox MMO that we'd see released until this year (Albion Online), I probably would have just killed myself.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Monomythian posted:

You don't understand, there's no market for sandbox games.

*watches Minecraft break 100 million sales, becomes biggest selling game in history*

That's what I don't get

Literal graveyard of WoW clones
Meanwhile the Day-Z mod spawns an entire subgenre based on player interaction, and every sandbox ever made is either still being played or fondly remembered.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

People who like good sandbox games don't play MMOs very much. These people are smart.

People who like MMOs don't seem to be attracted to sandbox games. They are attracted to MMOs with some sandbox elements though. At the same time, I think that it is very fair to point out that it has been a really long time since a good sandbox MMO was released so maybe there is an untapped market out there waiting to satisfied? I kinda agree with the guy who said SWG was the last one like this. There have been other attempts at it but meh...

People point to Mortal Online (which was limited due to targeted hardware) and Darkfall (which went way too far with their HARDCORE PVP RELIVE 1997-ERA UO nonsense). Pre-Trammel UO worked because we didn't have options. Now you have someone corpse camp you in a full loot MMO and you say gently caress it after 30 minutes and never touch it again. Ultimately Darkfall became a game of trolls trolling trolls, and they all left when they came to that realization.

So even if we're going to count those, there hasn't been anything since. Maybe Elite Dangerous but that's kind of a stretch.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
gently caress that hurts my eyes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I spent $150 on ArcheAge and I really regret it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah but remember gliders? And figuring out we could put hilariously inappropriate jpgs on our boat sails? Those were 2 fun things in 3 months of horseshit.

I didn't get to that point. I quit when I hit the spooky town. Completely irredeemable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

I gave The Repopulation money and Hero Engine rammed their dick into them. Now they are making a Survival game on Unreal Engine so they can afford to make the MMO that they lost their bankroll on. The struggle is real if you attempt to make a real sandbox mmo.

I genuinely feel bad for them. 4 months away from release and the company in charge of their engine (which was the only viable option since they started production in 2010, a time where Unity was poo poo and the mere thought of indies using Unreal/CryEngine would get you accused of being under the influence of some serious drugs) shits the bed. What a shame.

The hand they've been dealt is absolutely bullshit, but it'll work out for the best.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

I'm legitimately happy that Heron Engine did not work out for them. It's absolute poo poo of an engine. :colbert:

Star Wars: The Old Republic runs worse on my laptop than Black Desert.

Ultimately it's for the best, it forced their hand but I still feel bad for them being that drat close.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Take this as an opportunity to find out what the latency is like for US servers.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
All these stupid loving contests, no first come first serve giveaways.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I got my BDO key
http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/11/black-desert-cb-keys/#keys

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Looks like they restocked. Try again

Yep another 2000

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I got a spare, saving it because I'm worried about two people getting the same key allocated, but I'll hand out the spare tomorrow.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Seanzor posted:

This looks like a phishing scam. Specifically, that site's link to the Black Desert site takes you to an mmozone.com page that is made to look like the Black Desert website. Caution.

Do you have Adblock/Web of Trust? I never get that poo poo anymore.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dang, I keep missing these. Ah well, its only a 4 day beta anyway.

Email? I'll send you one of mine.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Loose Ifer posted:

I can't get on this at work, any chance you've got another extra?

Yep, I got 8 or 9, post your email

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 11, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

My hope is that the goons who end up running the guild don't jerk off about how much better they are than pubbies

If there is a cool non goon that wants to join, they should be allowed

As long as they're active idgaf, but that 80-100 cap sucks.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Depending on whether they actually follow through with different guild types as mentioned in that "what they changed before making it a themepark" article, I could see the value in having multiple guilds.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dweller posted:

Could I get one of those if they're going spare? Email is davidweller45 at gmail.com.

fromsinkingsands posted:

If anyone has a beta key I'd love to try this out. hiddenvg@gmail.com

Hatastrophe posted:

I'll grovel shamelessly for a beta key as well. Email is grumcrackersandsnacks@gmail.com

Sent :^)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

I sent you a pm but in case you missed it, my email is wikiwikiwa @ gmail dot com.

Yeah I don't have the Platinum Upgrade on SA so I can't check messages

There you go.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

This game, in fact, happens to limit player interaction to minimum. :v:
Since we're not having player to player trade, I doubt the publisher can be coerced into reimplementing resource theft into our version of the game.

It's mindboggling to think that this is the same game that we were calling "EVE on the ground" four years ago.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

There never will be a Korean MMO game to match playerfuckery potential of EVE Online as long as their primary market is Korea. It's just antithesis of what sells there.

That's the thing though, even with the crazy amounts of pandering they did to Eastern markets, it's not doing too well. If they kept the original design, it would've been seen as "something different" in the West and surely it'd do better than it'll do here now, so they had nothing to lose.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 13, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

If Korean MMO developers would keep up with their early promises, everyone would still be playing ArcheAge.

It's a shame ArcheAge didn't work out. I really liked the world.

Also, how do we know that it wouldn't do well in Korea? I don't think UO/Asheron's Call/Galaxies even operated in Korea. It'd be seen as "doing something different" just as much as it is here.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

I think an Optional Subscription Service for Black Desert Online will be great for those that prefer to play that way.

• Players that subscribe will support Black Desert Online development.
  • Players that opt to B2P, will choose how much this game is worth.
By being optional, it's not forcing players to pay a monthly fee. This will make the game a hybrid B2P/Subscription model. Both type of players will be supporting Black Desert Online, that means more content can be created faster.

Now for example, just look at Star Citizen, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions it is B2P, and it has an optional subscription model for those that want to utilize it. "The additional revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise." I see no reason why Black Desert Online can't take this approach.

Think about it. More revenue creates more content, and that content can be delivered to us at a much faster rate.

What do you think?

Chronicles of Elyria is the perfect MMO model I think. If you don't know about Elyria, basically it's based on genetics/bloodlines and your character will die of old age. You pay for new lives ($30), depending on your play style, your character could last quite a long time, but the average will be 10-12 months. I wish more games would go this route. Even if they get a niche audience, they have revenue from new sales and retained user base.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/435-DJ-6-Character-Customization-and-Bloodlines

It's the best of both worlds. No cash shop, b2p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

You know, I was just quoting someone on brown forums acid for relating to Star Citizen in a positive light while not discussing the optimal strategy to scam people from Portland.

I know, I'm just bringing it up because Black Desert is going to suffer from this problem just as Guild Wars 1/2 did. They're going to have launch sales, and maybe a steady stream of new users, but it's not guaranteed any of those players will spend a dollar more.

If the game turns out good and they sustain it throughout the year, they'll essentially get another "launch sale".