Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Samantha Bee

(During a full moon):

Part woman, part centaur, part witch. Best known as a former correspondent on The Daily Show, Samantha Bee left after twelve years to begin work on her new show Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. In a marked departure from traditional late night shows, Full Frontal's host Samantha Bee is a female woman. Results to be seen. The show airs Monday nights on TBS at 10:30/9:30 C.

Those with cable subscriptions can stream the show for free live or after air here.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I thought the show's premiere was loving excellent. Samantha Bee is hilarious, and the jokes were spot loving on. The opening segment on the debates and the second segment on Mitch Holmes were a wonderful serving of comedy, catharsis, and political commentary that I found seamlessly written and delivered. I thought the third part about Jeb was funny, but it didn't quite have me laughing aloud like the first two segments. If this first episode is any indication of what is to come, we're in for a fantastic show.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The only flaw is that it airs once a week

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

old dog child posted:

Yeah but this plus Last Week Tonight is half of what The Daily Show puts out. Two thirds really if you count the longer time on Oliver's show. I really liked the show. the Kansas joke "99 problems but a bitch ain't one" killed me.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The other thing is that I think the quality of content rises when you have a week to put a show together. Plus, it takes the focus off of the minutiae of every day and spreads out the scope a bit to stories that fly under the radar of e.g. TDS or TNS. Case in point, the story about Mitch Holmes.

But yes, after seeing that episode, I would love to see her every night.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please add to OP thanks

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Show is really good. Basically a cable-friendly version of Last Week Tonight.

Although now I'm kind of wondering why she isn't running TDS. She seems to have way more energy and more comfortable running a show thaan Noah is.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently she was not offered the job, which is mystifying to me, especially given that she was the longest-tenured correspondent. I suppose you're wondering why she wasn't offered the job, and I have no answer for that. Anyway, it seems like it will turn out for the best. I think Noah is doing a great job personally, and with this show, Bee apparently has more talking time. I don't usually enjoy the interviews on TDS; this has nothing to do with Trevor, I didn't watch most of them when Jon was hosting. So I'm glad Full Frontal doesn't have that distraction. Just give me 22 minutes of Bee yelling about idiotic politicians. Now we have TDS and Full Frontal. Here's hoping it starts airing four or five days a week after she has a season under her belt. :cheers:

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Just watched the first episode. This will go nicely with Last Week Tonight and The Daily Show.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sentient Caps Lock Button Donald Trump. Brilliant.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I like the show. It has the teeth that Noah has yet to grow and Colbert had removed by CBS...

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I liked the first two segments but that third one...ugh. What the gently caress was that dollar store Werner Herzog narration?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Popelmon posted:

I liked the first two segments but that third one...ugh. What the gently caress was that dollar store Werner Herzog narration?

Yeah I was kind of bored by that segment tbh.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I wish this was streaming someplace :(

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

I wish this was streaming someplace :(

I use my parents' login info to stream it from TBS. If you know someone who has a cable subscription who would be willing to share his or her info with you, you could do the same.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sam, you had me at "lingering impression of a glory hole".

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
This show is great. It's ridiculous she wasn't approached about hosting TDS, but I'm also glad she got this opportunity to do her own thing without being chained to a pre-existing format.

Restricting streaming to people with cable logins is the worst, though. The stream also looks terrible.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, why the gently caress is the stream so awful? It's like they WANT me to torrent it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I might pay the $20 for the season pass. If they follow a similar schedule to Last Week Tonight that comes out to less than a dollar per episode, which isn't crazy.

Have they said how many episodes there will be in season 1?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia: "Bee hired Jo Miller and Miles Kahn, formerly producers of The Daily Show, as executive producers for her new show. They set up a blinded process for hiring writers that hid the gender and experience level of the applicants, resulting in a writing staff that is approximately half female and 30% non-white. The show hired Winter Miller to help develop a mentorship program to help diversify the writing room."

That's pretty awesome, although I wish it were more than 30% non-white. Anyway, the people who ended up in the writing room are clearly a great mixture. Can't wait for next week's show.

Bass Bottles posted:

Have they said how many episodes there will be in season 1?

I don't see that info anywhere.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I came late to her tenure on The Daily Show but Samantha Bee has always been great. The first thing of hers I saw was her at a Palin rally trying to get people to say the word "choice" and it was pure magic. She's always been spot on. I'm over the moon about her getting her own show, but I unfortunately don't have cable. Fortunately, it's on Amazon Video.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Finally getting to watch it now. I didn't realize how much I missed Sam.

"...the rest was 2 hours of Hillary trying to distance herself from Wall Street while Sanders tried to flag down a waitress."

:lol: This is great so far.

Edit: Mitch Holmes got owned.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Quality over quantity.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 13, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just watched it and yeah that was great. Way better than any of her daily show segments for me, not that I ever thought she was bad.

Once a week is the sweet spot for topical comedy. The UK figured this out decades ago.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Is anyone else's DVR recording the new episode at 4pm? Mine is recording at 4 and ignoring 10:30p because it considers it a repeat.

I figure someone screwed up - I set 10:30 to record manually. Hope this isn't an ongoing issue

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CaveGrinch posted:

Is anyone else's DVR recording the new episode at 4pm? Mine is recording at 4 and ignoring 10:30p because it considers it a repeat.

I figure someone screwed up - I set 10:30 to record manually. Hope this isn't an ongoing issue

I'm watching the 4.30 recording now and it's marked as s1e2 but its just the first episode again.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
13 minutes to go. Already have TBS on even though it's recording. Get hype.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
"Listen up, creamsicle! We had a deal!"

Edit: "Can I have your HBO Go login?" Another great episode overall.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That music conductor bit was great.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I'm a Bernie supporter and I thought he completely failed the leadership question. In addition to the point Samantha made, he also inexplicably named FDR and then talked exclusively about his domestic policy which is not what the question was.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

drat that refugee segment was depressing. Hearing that guy say Americans are benevolent people was heartbreaking.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
man, I think my new daily show/colbert report is a weekly dose of lwt/full frontal.

Sam's hitting it out of the park and makes up for stephen's nerfing (although his interviews with rumsfield and papa bear are worth it), and noah's trouble with interviews.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, I'm officially giving up on The Daily Show. I hate to do it and I've nothing against Noah, but oh my god, Sam is making those guys look like boring garbage. Maybe it's because it's fresh, but I'm even enjoying Full Frontal (terrible title, by the way) more than Last Week Tonight.

The second she called Mitch McConnel a chinless dildo, and referred to Bernie as both a human Che Guevara shirt and a cantankerous windmill - I was like gently caress yeah.

And just when I figured the show was going to be an ultra mean, venomous, purely comic commentary with no serious (or vaguely journalistic) implications, she hits you with a real Syria piece.

This is some good poo poo.

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah I'm a Bernie supporter and I thought he completely failed the leadership question. In addition to the point Samantha made, he also inexplicably named FDR and then talked exclusively about his domestic policy which is not what the question was.
I was more shocked that the noted Conservative, racist, sexist, sacrificing-Coventry, Winston Churchill was namedropped by Bernie. He seems like the anti-Bernie. Context?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Can I have your HBO Go login?" was incredibly cool. You could tell she was really enjoying herself there. Not making fun of anybody, just having a good nice laugh with some people. Good on her. This show is amazing. Anyone know how the viewership is?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I was more shocked that the noted Conservative, racist, sexist, sacrificing-Coventry, Winston Churchill was namedropped by Bernie. He seems like the anti-Bernie. Context?

Apparently he was trying to bolster his foreign policy credentials. I look forward to the deposition of the charismatic German leader, an alliance of convenience with Russia, and a coup d'etat in Iran.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

Apparently he was trying to bolster his foreign policy credentials. I look forward to the deposition of the charismatic German leader, an alliance of convenience with Russia, and a coup d'etat in Iran.

Yes, his biggest shortcoming seems to be lack of foreign policy experience. His refrain is that he voted against the Iraq War while Hillary voted for it. Perhaps that is attributable to some genuine bit of judgment he had that Hillary did not, but perhaps it is because he is simply staunchly anti-war. In either case, I think Bernie has done little to address the concerns of his detractors on this issue, and in fact I thought his FDR answer played precisely into their concerns. Asked about a domestic leader who would influence his foreign policy, he talked at length about the success of FDR's domestic policy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pillow Hat posted:

drat that refugee segment was depressing. Hearing that guy say Americans are benevolent people was heartbreaking.

Also the portrayal of Canada as being this welcoming place for Syrian refugees is, uh, somewhat less than accurate. There's been a poo poo TON of Conservative pushback on that.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"Y'know what, gently caress the constitution. Let's just have a Supreme Court vacancy for a year because some chinless dildo wants a justice who will use his gavel to plug up your abortion hole."

:drat:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

flashy_mcflash posted:

Also the portrayal of Canada as being this welcoming place for Syrian refugees is, uh, somewhat less than accurate. There's been a poo poo TON of Conservative pushback on that.

Which means jack poo poo.

The government doesn't care (I"m surprised they didn't go for a cheap Trudeau joke) and people have given so much to refugees that in Montreal they had to beg people to stop giving them stuff till July.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
What I've seen from Full Frontal on youtube looks great, happy to see that the full show is starting to be available on... other places

I was never a big fan of Sam Bee on the Daily Show but I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying her here, I love the high tempo. Trevor Noah is funny too but it feels like he's doing a "Daily Show 101" in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Which means jack poo poo.

The government doesn't care (I"m surprised they didn't go for a cheap Trudeau joke) and people have given so much to refugees that in Montreal they had to beg people to stop giving them stuff till July.

The portrayal of Canada as this open, happy, welcoming place after the election we just had is starting to really bug me. We are doing some comparatively great.stuff compared to the US in that regard (a very low bar) but I think the joke would've flown better if they'd shown what you describe above instead of the kids video.

• Locked thread