Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
approximately 1 hour ago, i saw the 1994 film stargate with kurt russell and james spader, desperate to find out how exactly this film led to the creation of such a mediocre franchise

i dont get it. NOTHING about this film screams "lets make this into a franchise whos reruns you'll never see because they come on in the middle of the day"

the set design reminds me all too much of jupiter ascending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

kurt russell is a great actor and i wish he was in more things

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
yeah he was the saving grace in the entire film

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
good idea for a movie, poor execution / casting / plot /etc.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Sorry you're too retarded to realize SG1 is pretty good op.

Fortunately Roland Emmerich has a whole catalog of films just for people like you!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey OP. gently caress you

Ra'sFaceMelting.gif
(pretend i posted one)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Fortunately Roland Emmerich has a whole catalog of films just for people like you!

stargate sg1 just feels like someone really wanted to make star trek but in the present and with guns

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nutsngum posted:

i actually feel sorry for you

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Race Realists posted:

stargate sg1 just feels like someone really wanted the make star trek but in the present and with guns

Youve never actually seen star trek have you because the only similarities is there are aliens in both of them.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gender illusionist posted:

i actually feel sorry for you

Hmmm yes, please continue with the emotional maturity of an eight year old whilst I continue enjoying light science adventure shows.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i didnt like the show buts lots of people including my step dad really did i didnt hate it ubt i didnt like it either honestly thought for a long running show the gate thing is a useful plot tool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they were just trying to fill the vacuum left behind by the death of Star Trek, they needed something without space ships (people wernt into space ships any more) so they looked around for some sci-fi without space ships.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Stargate was really unquestionably uneven for a TV show and Teal'c was cooler than the show deserved.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
You can make a good TV show out of anything. The previous work doesn't need to carry it.

I stopped watching SG1 at around Season 6 after the show basically revolved around childish attempts at witty dialogue.

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
That guy must have really hated gluing that thing onto his forehead every day. Think it hurt when it came off?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
there are straight up like 6 different threads on sci fi franchises on the front page atm, what is in the water?? flint lead??

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nutsngum posted:

Hmmm yes, please continue with the emotional maturity of an eight year old whilst I continue enjoying light science adventure shows.

said forum user nutsngum on extremely mature and sensible internet forum for posting, 'something awful dot com'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Race Realists posted:

stargate sg1 just feels like someone really wanted the make star trek but in the present and with guns

and better in pretty much every way.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Nutsngum posted:

hey why dont you :spergin: and then *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT*
:goonsay:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

they were just trying to fill the vacuum left behind by the death of Star Trek, they needed something without space ships (people wernt into space ships any more) so they looked around for some sci-fi without space ships.

I think the biggest difference was how military the show was (I stopped watching later on when I heard that changed) because unlike other sci-fi shows "Light them up with a P90" was usually a go-to solution

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey Op, You're a

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
In 1994, while I realize the fact that I was a child is a large part of this, Stargate had the best premise ever: everything we think we know about the concept of deities is just misunderstandings of technologically advanced beings that loved messing with pathetic humans.

Not many years later I figured out that the "god = ancient aliens???" thing was already kind of played out but IT WAS REVELATORY TO ME

Wait...good point, why DID they make a show out of it

What will really blow your mind though is that they are finally rebooting it in movie form, as it was originally supposed to be a ... trilogy? Maybe? Not sure what there was left to do after the movie though honestly

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the movie is cool and good bc it has a fun dumb concept packaged with two great and very different hams

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also it has a really good decoding scene where james spader figures out how the stargate works, and any i mean any movie with a decoding scene like that, i love

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I always get "Stargate" confused with "Event Horizon." I've never seen "Stargate." I saw the other one a couple of years ago and it was pretty good!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Only saw the movie once, as a kid. I recall not being that into it. Then I'm on IMDb a couple of days ago and that "Gods of Egypt" movie actually looks like it has a stargate on the cover.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rutibex posted:

:agreed:

its right up there with farscape

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Race Realists posted:

Come on, farscape is relatively obscure stuff, only hardcore scifi fans have seen it. When SG1 was popular tons of people were watching it, scifi channel would do weekend marathons of it etc. You never saw that with farscape. The only reason farscape became popular with stargate fans is because they imported their main actors after season 8. Even my mom who hates scifi watched SG1 regularly.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
SG1 was pretty fun, although it went on way too long. I liked Farscape after the first season too. But man, is that first season pretty rough at points, especially at he beginning.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
And they had that weird stargate farscape crossover episode haha yes hilarious.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I would have liked SG-1 a lot better if the alien baddies hadn't been named Goauld and we hadn't been forced to listen to all the characters say that horrible, awkward word over and over and over again for more than a decade.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
For a SciFi show they sure spend a lot of time loving around in the woods.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Race Realists posted:

Farscape is way better and I'm not really a sci-fi TV watcher

Anything related to Stargate has been pretty much ruined by me by people who watch it and unironically, 100% believe that the ancient aliens "theory" is real.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Race Realists posted:

approximately 1 hour ago, i saw the 1994 film stargate with kurt russell and james spader, desperate to find out how exactly this film led to the creation of such a mediocre franchise

i dont get it. NOTHING about this film screams "lets make this into a franchise whos reruns you'll never see because they come on in the middle of the day"

the set design reminds me all too much of jupiter ascending

You should watch at least the pilot of SG 1, it's actually not that far fetched.

Basically the God in the movie was just a human with an alien parasite inside of it. There are more than one pair of stargates scattered across the galaxy, which are being exploited by the parasite race of aliens - long ago, while possessing the bodies of other aliens, they discovered the how to use the stargates and went about the galaxy and enslaved compatible races.

Eventually they discovered Earth and realized humans were much better hosts and took a bunch of them as slaves and spread them across several different planets.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

For a SciFi show they sure spend a lot of time loving around in the woods.

vancouver is super cheap to film and basically every sci-fi show ever is filmed in vancouver. hell you'll basically see the same scenes in like bsg and such.

its a little jarring

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually both Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are very good shows that I feel are underrated, OP. I was skeptical when I first started watching because the movie was a little mediocre and it had a weak first season, but it really outgrew its humble beginnings and became a solid show with good characters and a fleshed out mythos.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Stargate is good stuff. The shows are better than the movie though, the dude who made it is insane to think otherwise. Probably just mad that someone took his concept and did it better.

Universe was pretty bad but it was finally starting to get good when it got canceled.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nutsngum posted:

Correct.

Race Realists posted:

Also correct.

Anyways, we all know Sea Quest was where it's at for 90's sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DiHK posted:

Anyways, we all know Sea Quest was where it's at for 90's sci-fi.

Jesus....

No.

Just, no.

• Locked thread