Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Problem description:
Internet consistently cuts out, ISP says they see no problems.

Attempted fixes:
I have power cycled router and computer. This is a months long problem, so they have also come out and replaced my modem / wifi-router combo twice. I am connected to my modem via cat-5.

Recent changes:
No recent changes.

--

Operating system:
Windows 7, 64 bit

System specs:
Proc - i7-4790, Newegg Link
MoBo - MSI Z97-G45, Newegg Link
NIC - Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (built into MoBo), Umm, a boring page about it
Graphics Card - GTX 970, Newegg Link
PSU - CX600m, Newegg Link
RAM - 8GB - Newegg Link

Modem / WiFi-router combo - Ubee DVW326, Manufacturer Page

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Hella yeah, and it keeps giving me stuff to spy on my kids or employees.

I have a "senior level" tech coming out tomorrow. I'd like to be able to show Cox how my computer is "seeing" the internet, or rather how it is "seeing" the intermittent drops from the internet. I don't really care if the problem is on my side or theirs (but I think it's them). I am looking for some tools or things I can put into my event logging-thingy on windows that will see these events so I can use to show Cox what is going on with my internet (other than my personal account and the obvious symptom of my internet cutting out) to hopefully resolve this. The problem is, Cox is saying they see no issue with my connection on their end.
I have a steam link connected via cat-5 as well (problem started before the steam link was gifted to me on Christmas) and it experiences problems as well. That leads me to believe that its something with the router/ lan portion of the modem / router all-in-one? I dunno.
Anyone have any info about some software or logs I can create and how to configure them so I can give my ISP evidence of what I'm dealing with?

Rahtas fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Honestly this sounds like a waste of your time, logs from your side are not helpful for troubleshooting issues like this. It's very likely a signal issue and the previous techs just ignored it because they didn't want to take the time to fix it, versus doing several easier calls in the same amount of time and getting paid way more. Hopefully the senior tech will take the time to fix it. If you want to confirm, post the signal levels from the modem status/diagnostics page.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Well dang ol' dang. Okay, well thanks for the feedback. The senior level tech came out, fiddled around with junk outside, then gave me a new modem and a new router, instead of a new router/ modem combo. If I'm still having the issues I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks!

• Locked thread