Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/embed.php?event=496299

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/11/gravitational-waves-discovery-hailed-as-breakthrough-of-the-century

Matthew Mcconnohey is a renowned 5 times world champion surfer. due to a recent breakup with his girlfriend, he is now homeless. just when things were looking at their worst a black van pulls up and anne hathaway rolls down the window: "hey man, want to save the world?". being such a cool dude he agrees.

a killer asteroid is heading towards earth and nasa has developed a super advanced Gravity Surfboard, but gravity waves are expected to be the gnarliest and all the astronauts failed the simulations. matthew aces the simulator and everybody cheers, but matt damon is in the darkest corner of the room scowling.

sudden twist: mcconnohey has rear end cancer. he cant surf, the gravity waves would case rapid cancer expansion and his rear end would explode after just the first or second wave. he must train the next person who has the highest surf score: anne hathaway. everything is going really well but another wave is going to threaten mankind: the wave of love. will they overcome this??

matt damon is extremely jealous because he wants to bone anne hathaway. he fakes some data that causes anne hathaway to gravity surf directly into his room, where he is naked. anne hathaway texts matthew, and he busts into the room. after an epic fight matt damon manages to use the Gravity Surfboard to guide a gravity wave directly into his rear end. feeling his rear end expanding and sensing his impending doom, he turns to anne hathaway and says "save the world......" and sits on matt damons face. through tears anne hathaway gives matthew a thumbs up, and matthew scowls and says "No, you gotta WAVE!" and she waves and matthews rear end explodes, decapatating matt damon and killing matthew in the process.

anne hathaway somberly takes the gravity board and surfs the waves to the asteroid and blows it up with the thor's hammer (this is a marvel movie). she returns to a cheering world, but a heavy heart. a sage monk comes from China and informs her that matthew is likely surfing the waves in the 5th dimension, and she now has the tool and skills to find him. so in a final goodbye she leaves planet earth and rides the waves to search for him, but dies from lack of oxygen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I understand the gravity of this situation.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
someone gonna figure out how to surf em soon then we can have a real xgames

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

This post is somewhere between stellar and not stellar

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
does that mean I can go to the moon for cheap yet or what

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

This post is somewhere between stellar and not stellar

Closer to not stellar

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
science rules

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what does this mean for my morning commute

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My dick is a wave

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

tomstuart posted:

someone gonna figure out how to surf em soon then we can have a real xgames

Gotta use a pretty small surfboard and you'd be going wicked fast bro

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/11/gravitational-waves-discovery-hailed-as-breakthrough-of-the-century

Matthew Mcconnohey is a renowned 5 times world champion surfer. due to a recent breakup with his girlfriend, he is now homeless. just when things were looking at their worst a black van pulls up and anne hathaway rolls down the window: "hey man, want to save the world?". being such a cool dude he agrees.

a killer asteroid is heading towards earth and nasa has developed a super advanced Gravity Surfboard, but gravity waves are expected to be the gnarliest and all the astronauts failed the simulations. matthew aces the simulator and everybody cheers, but matt damon is in the darkest corner of the room scowling.

sudden twist: mcconnohey has rear end cancer. he cant surf, the gravity waves would case rapid cancer expansion and his rear end would explode after just the first or second wave. he must train the next person who has the highest surf score: anne hathaway. everything is going really well but another wave is going to threaten mankind: the wave of love. will they overcome this??

matt damon is extremely jealous because he wants to bone anne hathaway. he fakes some data that causes anne hathaway to gravity surf directly into his room, where he is naked. anne hathaway texts matthew, and he busts into the room. after an epic fight matt damon manages to use the Gravity Surfboard to guide a gravity wave directly into his rear end. feeling his rear end expanding and sensing his impending doom, he turns to anne hathaway and says "save the world......" and sits on matt damons face. through tears anne hathaway gives matthew a thumbs up, and matthew scowls and says "No, you gotta WAVE!" and she waves and matthews rear end explodes, decapatating matt damon and killing matthew in the process.

anne hathaway somberly takes the gravity board and surfs the waves to the asteroid and blows it up with the thor's hammer (this is a marvel movie). she returns to a cheering world, but a heavy heart. a sage monk comes from China and informs her that matthew is likely surfing the waves in the 5th dimension, and she now has the tool and skills to find him. so in a final goodbye she leaves planet earth and rides the waves to search for him, but dies from lack of oxygen

heavy

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't buy that Anne Hathaway can wield Thor's Hammer

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FishionMailed posted:

I don't buy that Anne Hathaway can wield Thor's Hammer

I'd let her wield my hammer

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

“Einstein, when he came to write down his theory of gravity, his two heroes were Faraday and Maxwell,” said Turok

Always wondered what he did after that N64 game.

Now I know.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's about time LIGO.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
RIP Yahweh???

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
The last time Gravity was brought up in a thread I made my feelings on it known at the time. Basically I'm not a big fan of it and don't truly understand it or how it works.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Gravity doesn't bring things up at the moment, relatively speaking.

excuse me for a moment

:suicide:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
This is actually a pretty big deal, but only because most of the world thought they'd never know the answer to this question in their lifetimes.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/02/11/scientists-find-evidence-gravitational-waves-predicted-by-einstein.html

Came to find the whining about how this was done with a 1.2 billion dollar machine, wasn't disappointed.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
If we can observe and measure dark matter now would it be possible to buy it off the galactic internet and insert it into my rear end to get a weird buzz

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Sheep-Goats posted:

My dick is a wave
Seems more like a particle to me.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
*Waves back at Gravity* Hello!

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Seems more like a particle to me.

wrecked

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
ow burn

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

so if gravity is waves does it have an undertow or a riptide like normal waves? can it rip us apart if we get hit by a gnarly bombara?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
*types "> go left" into 5D computer, goes catty-corner.*

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

ghostter posted:

so if gravity is waves does it have an undertow or a riptide like normal waves? can it rip us apart if we get hit by a gnarly bombara?

gravity is actually very weak compared to the other forces so unless you're right near a black hole nah probably not

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand the momentum of the situation.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It brings us a step closer to Event Horizon.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Would watch.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Gravity waves - THAT MONSTROUS LIE!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Pffft these assholes are just buying everything I say. BWAHAHAHHAHHA
___________________________\

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You'reanus not Uranus.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Kuato posted:

The last time Gravity was brought up in a thread I made my feelings on it known at the time. Basically I'm not a big fan of it and don't truly understand it or how it works.

It's my enemy and I hate it.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
can't wait for everyone on facebook to tell me how much they loving love science

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I feel like gravity is really holding me down ahha

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lord Binky posted:

haha same but bad decisions instead ahah

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I thought graffiti was a thing of the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Lord Binky posted:

hosed up if true

• Locked thread