Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
A bit late to the party but thanks a lot for the LP. You did a wonderful job showing off the game in a organic way. I really enjoyed playing the game when it came out and it's great to see it again now.

I was a bit lukewarm on the first ending where Simon gets pissed off. I mean, you can feel his emotion and I can see where he's coming from but I don't think it "gels well" with what the player learns and accept throughout the game. Though the idea of him being left alone is creepy and sad as hell.

I really like the ARK bit. As you say, it is pretty scary in its own way. Just *knowing* that it's a simulation, that they're floating around in space. It's just such a weird thing and I don't think one could "shake" that knowledge very easily. It feels wonderfully oppressive somehow. Really bittersweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Leinadi posted:

I was a bit lukewarm on the first ending where Simon gets pissed off. I mean, you can feel his emotion and I can see where he's coming from but I don't think it "gels well" with what the player learns and accept throughout the game. Though the idea of him being left alone is creepy and sad as hell.

Remember, not only is Simon having to deal with a complete 180 in terms of environment and thus in denial, he's brain damaged, too. He may have problems putting the pieces together.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ooh that's an interesting thought. Simon(1) is brain damaged. Simon(2,3,4) are copies of the original damaged Simon. Since they have no physical brain, does it still count?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Ooh that's an interesting thought. Simon(1) is brain damaged. Simon(2,3,4) are copies of the original damaged Simon. Since they have no physical brain, does it still count?

I don't think it's 'brain damage' per say since Simon (2,3,4) don't have brains, no? I think Simon 2 had no head, just eyeball type sensors stuck into a neck. I can't recall if we ever saw what the Diving Suit body looked like. But there's surely some degrading as Simon is copied from one place to another? It's your entire brain getting transfered, or at least data that's suppose to be your brain/self.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

MA-Horus posted:

Munshi's reason to make Simon's brainscan in the first place was to analyse his brain damage, so it certainly carries over from his meat brain to the data. I guess it depends whether the scan that ended up becoming Simon(2) was the original version or post-therapy.

I don't remember anything to suggest it's not the original, but I guess he no longer has headaches at least. Though that might just come with being a weird necrorobot. :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think "copy of a copy" can really hold up. Simon is being copied digitally, after all, and making flawless copies identical to the original is part of the point. Although now that I think about it, this isn't a direct software copy, so loss could occur. This is "taking a picture," and while you could copy the file that contains Simon's brain into a chip any number of times and they'd probably all have identical "Dr. Munshi? Hello?" experiences on first waking up, that's not what's happening. Dr. Munshi took a picture of Simon, and that became Simon (2). Catherine used the pilot seat to take a picture of Simon (2) and used that to make Simon (3), and then again to use Simon (3) to make Simon (4). Or, Meat Simon was used to make Dive Simon, who was used to make Power Simon, who was used to make Digital Simon.

So then the question becomes: how good is the capture equipment?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

MechaCrash posted:

I don't think "copy of a copy" can really hold up. Simon is being copied digitally, after all, and making flawless copies identical to the original is part of the point. Although now that I think about it, this isn't a direct software copy, so loss could occur. This is "taking a picture," and while you could copy the file that contains Simon's brain into a chip any number of times and they'd probably all have identical "Dr. Munshi? Hello?" experiences on first waking up, that's not what's happening. Dr. Munshi took a picture of Simon, and that became Simon (2). Catherine used the pilot seat to take a picture of Simon (2) and used that to make Simon (3), and then again to use Simon (3) to make Simon (4). Or, Meat Simon was used to make Dive Simon, who was used to make Power Simon, who was used to make Digital Simon.

So then the question becomes: how good is the capture equipment?

For the intents and purposes of the game, it is perfect. If it weren't that would probably have been dealt with in some manner or brought up. It's also more interesting in this scenario as it is about identity. If the scan wasn't perfect then it would muddy the waters in a way that'd negatively impact the questions posed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
At Theta, Catherine mentions that Simon's scan is "more flat" than the scans she herself made of herself and her fellow crew. That isn't mentioned anywhere again, but I wonder if, when seen through someone else's eyes, Simon comes across as much more of a dim-witted robot. Maybe we just experience Simon as a complete, regular human being because we're in his head.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It just hit me; planetary exit velocity isn't system exit velocity.

The Ark is totally going to either slingshot around the sun for the rest of its existence or get sucked into Jupiter, isn't it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

tlarn posted:

It just hit me; planetary exit velocity isn't system exit velocity.

The Ark is totally going to either slingshot around the sun for the rest of its existence or get sucked into Jupiter, isn't it?

I think it depends on solar power for energy, so given that it's not moving particularly fast and has no way to accelerate, I'd think orbiting the sun is intentional.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for a great LP. Your in-character style or whatever you wanna call it is precisely what I like in these games so yeah, cool! Hope you do more.

Opal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for doing this LP, it really was well done. Even if I have a mixed opinion of the game, you showed it off well, and I do agree that it creates a world that is interesting to think about (it's mainly the characters that bothered me).

I realized near the end that this reminds me a lot of Sunshine (the movie). There is an interesting environment, a goofy primary motivation which is mainly metaphorical but takes a stab at being grounded in science, some actually sort-of thought-provoking bits, some really idiotic characters, and even a good dose of horror that doesn't quite mesh well with the rest of the story.

• Locked thread