Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ninotoreS posted:

That's the real meat of the SOMA experience.
Cooing at our adorable robuddy and yelling at Simon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's...not how I expected the encounter with Amy to go, really.

Honestly already a little tired of our bubbling hero just casually killing everyone he meets by loving with poo poo he doesn't understand but has to because "but thou must."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lotish posted:

That's...not how I expected the encounter with Amy to go, really.

Honestly already a little tired of our bubbling hero just casually killing everyone he meets by loving with poo poo he doesn't understand but has to because "but thou must."

You don't have to kill Amy.

I'd also argue that what she was doing could hardly be considered life in the first place but weeeeeeeelp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You don't? Huh.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The power necessary to keep here second set of lungs working was enough to also power a transit system... they reallllllly wanted to keep her conscious.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/

Bruceski posted:

You walk down a tunnel, climb over a blocking pile of rubble, and then take a tram down that same tunnel without obstruction?
The passenger tram you take is on a second set of tracks (going in the opposite direction) than the tunnel the blue boxcar tram thing was on. You still hit a cave in or something gown the tracks. Only because the 'Safety' systems were off line you apparently couldn't apply the brakes or put your seat belt on. On the plus side road rash from getting ejected through the windshield can't make us look any worse.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 22, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You walk down a tunnel, climb over a blocking pile of rubble, and then take a tram down that same tunnel without obstruction?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Different tunnels. The powered-up tram goes forward on the left tunnel, while the rubble pile and Amy and the power system are on the right tunnel, behind the inoperable cargo tram.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
You can see what I mean by rock stupid, or at least critically unaware. No attempt to comfort the injured woman, to try explain the situation, to ask about history, or even just ask "what do I look like" or even "what's going on?" Trade ten words with the first living human you see and then unplug her life support and cruise off.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Added Space posted:

You can see what I mean by rock stupid, or at least critically unaware. No attempt to comfort the injured woman, to try explain the situation, to ask about history, or even just ask "what do I look like" or even "what's going on?" Trade ten words with the first living human you see and then unplug her life support and cruise off.
On the other hand, everything may be a dream that Simon's brain is putting together from simulation data bombardment, which matches up with her cryptic answer to our 'what's up with you' question.

Huh, another thing just popped into my head, you had to unplug two wires from a robot that sounded female in order to have enough power to get the turbines going...
Now you had to unplug up to two wires from Amy in order to get the tram systems running. Coincidence?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Added Space posted:

To be fair for Simon, Amy spent an indeterminate amount of time (hours? days? months? years?) connected to the technogrowth life support. There is a hose going into her chest, probably pumping oxygenated blood in. Her arm is either rotting away, or changed by the black goop. Even speaking seems difficult to her. She's trapped in a crumbling tunnel in the middle of a delapidated station. She can't move, or even change position. Given the state of the tracks and Upsilon overall, no help is coming for her. Amy can only lie there, in an empty, cold, dark room and wait until she grows old, or the base crumbles around her.

Death seems to be preferable to that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I should note a couple of things:

In my first playthrough, I was kind of horrified at unplugging Amy. I tried to convey that in the video by having Simon look around for alternatives and sort of run away guiltily afterwards. I only learned much later that you can leave her barely getting by, as seen in the bonus video. It's unsettling because much as she seems to be in discomfort, she's not asking you to unplug her.

I hope I'm not giving too much away when I say that going by the data the screens have given us so far, Amy has been lying there for over a year.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In my neck of the woods, we call that a mercy killing.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In my neck of the woods, we call that a mercy killing.

If the person is conscious, lucid, and asking you not to, and Amy was all three, then it's unambiguously murder.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Crigit posted:

If the person is conscious, lucid, and asking you not to, and Amy was all three, then it's unambiguously murder.

Did she ask us not to? All I saw her asking was to not hurt her... And really, what else was Simon supposed to do, there, hang out with her for another year or go outside and fart around in the ocean until he finds Theta?

You raise a very interesting point, though: for us, poor Amy is an abomination of flesh and steel, being kept alive by a machine for who knows why, and we know that pretty much everyone she cared about is dead or away from her,, and killing her seems like a mercy because there's seemingly no way her situation can improve. That having been said, you are correct: even if she did not explicitly tell us "Hey, don't unplug me from that there doohickey, 'kay?", she did express pain and fear in the moments before she died, the same way Carl screams in agony if you pull that switch, so the question is beggared: is it truly mercy to end such existences simply because we don't see the appeal of them? Or is that just what we tell ourselves when these existences get in the way of our own?

In my first post of this thread I made a very deliberate reference to a writer of science fiction named Philip K. Dick, the creator of The Man in the High Castle,, A Scanner Darkly, and a ton of other works, some of which have seen film adaptation (Blade Runner). There are a variety of themes he wrote about which he explored in many different ways, but if I were to name a unifying theme to embody most of his literature it would be this: discomfort. No matter what he was writing about, be it alternate history, a mystery in a dark, corporatist future, paranoia brought on by madness, or just what existence means, his writing, and the films crated by them, have a feeling of wrongness, of a twisted nightmare, and they all have to do with a problem-a question- that seems innocuous or just plain ridiculous until you really start thinking about it, until you pursue the question to its logical conclusion. Dick did not write the story of SOMA, but it is very much in his spirit: A man walks into a Canadian office to get a cure for what ails him, and two hours later is in a facility at the bottom of the sea and may have killed up to three people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

Dick did not write the story of SOMA, but it is very much in his spirit: A man walks into a Canadian office to get a cure for what ails him, and two hours later is in a facility at the bottom of the sea and may have killed up to three people.

You know, this IS a lot like a Dick story in that regard. I'm having UBIK flashbacks now...

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

How long would people who've played this say the game is? Ethan Carter long? I'm feeling I ought to buy this and experience it myself and it's 33% off at GOG currently I see.

Do love some davidspackage LPin' though so hope it wouldn't spoil coming back to watch this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure the stuff growing over her was affecting her mind, and trying to convince her to become one of the Many. So yeah, she wasn't herself anymore I don't think. Worst case scenario was that she would have turned into another monster to hunt us, just like that glowy bot and the red guy.
Which probably means that we should try and not stick our hand into those glowing sphincters anymore if we can help it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

You know, this IS a lot like a Dick story in that regard. I'm having UBIK flashbacks now...

The game STARTS with a Dick quote, so I guess that's to be expected.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Fwoderwick posted:

How long would people who've played this say the game is? Ethan Carter long? I'm feeling I ought to buy this and experience it myself and it's 33% off at GOG currently I see.

Do love some davidspackage LPin' though so hope it wouldn't spoil coming back to watch this.

Around as long as their previous game Amnesia, maybe? Definitely longer than The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

With Amnesia, I felt like seeing things for a second time spoiled the effect somewhat. I played that game exactly once - and managed to get through without dying even once. I mean yes - :smuggo: - but also that was about the best possible way to experience it as along with it really ratcheting up the tension and the feeling of the stakes being higher, it meant that I didn't see just how much of the game was fairly rigidly scripted. I saw all that when I later watched an LP of it.

I suspect Soma might be similar in that sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fwoderwick posted:

Howlongtobeat has it at twice as long as Ethan Carter at 9-10 hours, which sounds about right to me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fwoderwick posted:

I would strongly recommend you experience it yourself! I held off on watching a playthrough of the game until I played it myself, and then found several things I'd missed from watching it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
With Carl, can you just open the door and then plug him back in?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Are you sure you're not the monster in this horror story? You're just killing every person you meet.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Thesaya posted:

With Carl, can you just open the door and then plug him back in?

As logs and the note next to the lever indicated, once you cut the power to that section, there is no turning back.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Gantolandon posted:

As logs and the note next to the lever indicated, once you cut the power to that section, there is no turning back.

What about the solution that causes him pain? That one is reversible. Could you open the bulkhead and then switch the power back again?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Nuramor posted:

What about the solution that causes him pain? That one is reversible. Could you open the bulkhead and then switch the power back again?

That was what I was alluding to.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Nuramor posted:

I think once you open the bulkhead to the upper floor, you can't flip the switch anymore.
Once you flip that switch, the auxiliary power cable that's causing him pain starts melting him. If you flip the switch back and talk to him, he'll sound half-dead. If you do it again, he'll stop responding. All in all, I think he's probably better off if you just kill the power plant.

Besides, there's at least 2 crazy robots out there, one of which is the next room over. Who knows what they'll do to him after you leave. And after the station floods, he's probably doomed anyway.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the thread title is really good thanks for it being good

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

sckye posted:

Besides, there's at least 2 crazy robots out there, one of which is the next room over. Who knows what they'll do to him after you leave. And after the station floods, he's probably doomed anyway.

It's the same robot, the one you initially meet at the repair bay. For some reason it's pissed at you and stalks you through entire Upsilon.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

It's the same robot, the one you initially meet at the repair bay. For some reason it's pissed at you and stalks you through entire Upsilon.

No, that one remained downstairs. There is another one sleeping and draining power in the workshop, which killed fleshy Carl and chased Amy off, and it only wakes up once you kill the power plant.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

sckye posted:

No, that one remained downstairs. There is another one sleeping and draining power in the workshop, which killed fleshy Carl and chased Amy off, and it only wakes up once you kill the power plant.

Strange, I was sure that I saw it coming from downstairs. I'll check again when I'm not on the phone.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Strange, I was sure that I saw it coming from downstairs. I'll check again when I'm not on the phone.

Hm, it does seem to come from downstairs. Don't have the game installed, so I can't check. I always thought it was the one from the workshop, but I'm probably wrong. My bad.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, Amy 'killed' the robot in the workshop that did Carl in by frying it with the nearby electric cable. It's down for good.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Didn't Carl say that we looked like we were dipped in sewage or something? Maybe we have been transfered into a corpse/helper dipped in whatever that black goop is, since it seems to be some kind of biomechanical deus ex machina.

man, quit pretending you don't know the plot already

1stGear posted:

You don't have to kill Amy.

I'd also argue that what she was doing could hardly be considered life in the first place but weeeeeeeelp.

that doesn't matter. it was her 'life', so it should be her choice. she didn't want to die, so pulling all the plugs (when simon didn't have to) and killing her is wrong

my view, anyway

As the plot progresses, this moral dilemma keeps coming up. Does Simon -- or Ross -- have the right to be the arbiter of life and death, just because it's unnatural?

Later on, we can all talk about how the WAU factors into all this. One can argue that the WAU is simply in the process of figuring things out as it works to preserve the last remnants of humanity, and eventually all the uploaded brain-scans will inherit much better circumstances than what's presently happening.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 24, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Could you please not accuse the people who are (I think, at least) speculating of trying to spoil the game while spoiling the game yourself in your post?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

my dad posted:

i should edit

i've spoiled nothing. that's what spoiler tags are for. your post comes closer to spoiling since you're indirectly unveiling what i spoiler tagged.

If he was really doing a blind-watch of this LP, then how is he already suggesting structure-gel animated corpses when there has been zero incidence or evidence of that happening at this point in the playthrough? c'mon now. already noticed some dubious posts earlier in the thread

Regardless, he'll never know i'm accusing him if he is actually doing a blind-watch, because he won't put his mouse over what I typed! haha

but i don't really care. it's trivial. this is the last i post about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ninotoreS posted:

i've spoiled nothing. that's what spoiler tags are for. your post comes closer to spoiling since you're indirectly unveiling what i spoiler tagged.

If he was really doing a blind-watch of this LP, then how is he already suggesting structure-gel animated corpses when there has been zero incidence or evidence of that happening at this point in the playthrough? c'mon now. already noticed some dubious posts earlier in the thread

Regardless, he'll never know i'm accusing him if he is actually doing a blind-watch, because he won't put his mouse over what I typed! haha

but i don't really care. it's trivial. this is the last i post about it
Actually I was thinking about the doodles that the protagonist found in the "observatory", where it was several fishes and marine wild life filled or covered with techno organic stuff. I just assumed that it was similar stuff to what we are apparently covered with, according to RoboCarl

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ninotoreS posted:

Uh,

davidspackage from the OP posted:

As usual, please don't post spoilers!

Spoiler tags are not the end all be all.

I noted the drawings too, which I linked to 'structure gel leaked into the ocean, got on the wildlife, CRAZY REACTION happened, now it's back with a vengeance.'
Not a far stretch to think that the PC is covered in it, considering suit 3 had unknown contamination in it as well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Uh yeah, people are using spoiler tags to hide speculation, so please don't use them for actual spoilers. Try to stick to talking about what's already been covered in the videos.

If anyone's pretending to be ignorant about the game so they can correctly 'guess' what's going to happen that's pretty weird and sad, but there's no way to make sure someone's doing it, so go ahead and let it go. Speculating is fun! Let's practice it in a safe and loving environment.

By the way, I've got material recorded for the next few videos that I'm editing now, I'm hoping to maintain an update schedule of a new video every three to four days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I highly recommend watching this lp(or even playing the game!) with headphones. The sound design is straight up amazing in a way that cannot be fully experienced over standard speakers.

• Locked thread