Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Just caught up with the latest video in this LP, this is a fantastic showcase of this wonderful game. Thanks for making it!

Playing SOMA, I was slightly disappointed that I didn't find it nearly as scary as Amnesia (or the Penumbra games) overall. However, the section in the abyss was the one part of the game that actually caused me to panic. Especially in the cave, I just lost my way (despite the fact that it *is* lit up) and lost my bearings. I dunno if I ended up walking in circles for a while or if I just imagined it, and then exiting the cave finally and that loving angler fish got me really bad. That was probably the scariest bit of the game for me.

I'm not sure what's up with the thunder sounds in this area but I will say that I think it actually works wonders for the atmosphere when playing it.

EDIT: Also, watching through this LP... I always loved the voiceacting in the game, it's *fantastic*. But I did have a hard time with Simon's reactions at times. But when I watch it now, it actually makes a lot of sense to me. You can really feel him struggling to cope with the situation and... well, failing to grasp it all. He feels very human, to a point we don't typically see in media (especially not in games).
I do wish there was some more talk at certain points in the game, and I would've liked seeing more freak-out from Simon at the start of the game. But you can really tell the writers put some serious effort into the game, which I suppose, is why parts that don't *quite* work stand out a bit more.

I really liked this game when I played through it, and watching the game again now has elevated those feelings even further.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

One of the complaints about SOMA is that the monsters feel kind of gratuitous and tacked on, and the game would be a better experience if it just went full Walking Simulator on us, Gone Home style. The monster you're facing now is one of the major examples brought up in this argument.

I'm surprised that someone holding the torn scrap of photo with Catherine on it went without comment.

I'm on the other side of the fence here. Granted, I think SOMA works pretty well as is but I think it really needs the monsters to work the horror angle and I wish the monsters would've been more... hm... advanced somehow. I think a few of them manages to feel pretty cool and kinda creepy but ultimately I think they feel pretty non-threatening all in all which hurts the game a bit. When I got to this section, I was kinda glad that they had a monster that felt a bit more dangerous in that it actually was kinda fast (I still didn't find it particularly challenging to get through though).

For me, SOMA kiiinda is on the edge for what I want in terms of gameplay. It's nice that there are many basic interactive elements to do (hitting switches and all that) but I wish there was more stuff like actual puzzles. I lean more towards the Penumbra side of things overall.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 13, 2016

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
A bit late to the party but thanks a lot for the LP. You did a wonderful job showing off the game in a organic way. I really enjoyed playing the game when it came out and it's great to see it again now.

I was a bit lukewarm on the first ending where Simon gets pissed off. I mean, you can feel his emotion and I can see where he's coming from but I don't think it "gels well" with what the player learns and accept throughout the game. Though the idea of him being left alone is creepy and sad as hell.

I really like the ARK bit. As you say, it is pretty scary in its own way. Just *knowing* that it's a simulation, that they're floating around in space. It's just such a weird thing and I don't think one could "shake" that knowledge very easily. It feels wonderfully oppressive somehow. Really bittersweet.

• Locked thread