Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You say that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is absolutely terrible.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

https://twitter.com/wornwhite/status/587344900619952128

Prince's is a WWII air raid siren. He wins.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
too bad these likely won't work in H2H online, i'd make every batter walk up to the rap air horn on repeat

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Eh, it's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Ejxq2mGWU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Josh Reddick has pretty good walk-up music and this was pre-Deadpool as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWBVm5wmL0

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My pitcher warm up music is gonna be "No Hitter" and my walk-up music totally gonna be "Batflip", both by Puig Destroyer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if you'll get the janky animations for your RTTS player's back up position. My long time player was moved from 3rd to Left field.

I have a pitcher called Hugh Man that I made to look like a wax sculpture and I'll probably use this for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4k1IK_o59M

vyst posted:

This is absolutely terrible.

This is the most offensive thing I've seen written in Something Awful. Gonna have to write an effort post in NMD to show how wrong you are. I saw the man suspended from cables at age 77 playing a live guitar solo for an encore after performing for a solid 90 minutes with about 7 of his kids/grandkids.

Look how wrong you are.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 5, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Eifert Posting posted:

This is the most offensive thing I've seen written in Something Awful. Gonna have to write an effort post in NMD to show how wrong you are. I saw the man suspended from cables at age 77 playing a live guitar solo for an encore after performing for a solid 90 minutes with about 7 of his kids/grandkids.

Too bad he isn't talented or he could have retired by now.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
How long does walk up music play? Cause I'm really leaning towards I'm as High as Hell and You're About to Get Shot. I'm also considering Keep Those Balls in the Air for a homerun trot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been playing MLB The Show 14 for two years, I am very ready for 16 to come out.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to take the crack at setting up an MLB goon league this year.

Here's my caveats for it to try keep it from dying.

1. I won't start it until a few weeks after launch so the expected online issues will work themselves out. Seems the last few years, we'd do a league immediately, and get server problems. they'd sort themselves out after a few weeks, but everyone would be done by that point.

2. I will force advances to the post season despite games being played likely every 3 weeks. Since it's an open calendar system, everyone can do their best to play games, but once we hit a certain date, everything unplayed gets simmed so we can hit the postseason.

It will probably flame out, but i'll give coordinating it a shot this year.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

alpha_destroy posted:

How long does walk up music play? Cause I'm really leaning towards I'm as High as Hell and You're About to Get Shot. I'm also considering Keep Those Balls in the Air for a homerun trot.

This is the best HR trot music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KbTLfe_5Hs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
IGN did an hour look into the game with the devs, seems to be focusing on diamond dynasty, especially their new conquest territory thing mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH3ClKiG8TQ (starts about 3 minutes in)

Actually looks pretty cool!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It's loving baseball risk and it's probably the only game mode outside RTTS that I'm going to play regularly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dandy Kaiser posted:

It's loving baseball risk and it's probably the only game mode outside RTTS that I'm going to play regularly

Yea I never knew I wanted baseball risk before now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It's by far the most original and intriguing sports video game mode since EASHL and RTTS/Heisman mode/Be a Pro/etc.

Before that it was the mini games in MVP/Madden 05 and the HRD in Triple Play where you could play on the construction site and the giant living room

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh my God I'm hyped for baseball risk.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rizzo v Hosmer

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/03/21...196554717042842

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Baseball players are so unrecognizable that they have to wear their own jerseys, even when shooting a video that only baseball fans will watch.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'm hyped for Battle Royale; I was mildly interested in the drafts they added to Madden Ultimate Team, but for whatever reason, booster drafting baseball cards has me super excited. I'm gonna blow so many Stubs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CellBlock posted:

I'm hyped for Battle Royale; I was mildly interested in the drafts they added to Madden Ultimate Team, but for whatever reason, booster drafting baseball cards has me super excited. I'm gonna blow so many Stubs.

Yea of all the things to jack from Madden their ultimate draft thing is probably the one everyone should focus on. Drafts are fun, cards are fun, card based games you don't have to pay for or deal with imbalanced teams and junk are fun.

It just happens that, ya know, of all the sports cards out there you can't get more iconic than baseball cards, so of course it's even more fun to draft baseball cards.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Raw player skills is so much more a factor in The Show vs Madden or FIFA in online head to head and Diamond Dynasty. I would ravage people who had a team full of Mike Trouts 1-8 in DD with my bronze and silver starter squad because if you can't recognize curve ball out of the pitchers hand and know weather or not to swing simply having a better player isint going to do poo poo for you.

Same with knowing how to actually pitch. If you know the art of pitching, how to use pitches to set up other pitches, know what a batter is looking for and how to counter that then it doesn't matter what player card you're using, you'll have success with anybody. Sure having Kershaw HELPS, but if you have Kershaw but don't know how to use his pitches and work the zone you're going to get tattoo'd vs a good human opponent.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

davecrazy posted:

Same with knowing how to actually pitch. If you know the art of pitching, how to use pitches to set up other pitches, know what a batter is looking for and how to counter that then it doesn't matter what player card you're using, you'll have success with anybody.

Regarding "how to actually pitch", do you have or know where to find a good guide on doing so in The Show? I've tried straying away from the game's suggestions on pitch type/location but every time I do I seem to get hammered (I pretty much play exclusively vs the AI, by the way). Despite going varying fast/slow pitches, keeping to the batter's cold zones, and trying to keep the slow pitches down in the zone I always seem to have much better luck when I stick to what the AI suggests via the catcher's mitt. And because I'm always sticking to what the AI suggests, it's not as fun to pitch since it feels so routine :/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Have they added any new minor league stadiums? Also one of my favorite features from a really old game (can't remember the name) was how stadiums would change over time. Like Wrigley would add a bunch of new seats to the bleachers 10 years in and so on.

Off topic a bit but has anyone purchased OOTP this year?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Auk14HP posted:

Regarding "how to actually pitch", do you have or know where to find a good guide on doing so in The Show? I've tried straying away from the game's suggestions on pitch type/location but every time I do I seem to get hammered (I pretty much play exclusively vs the AI, by the way). Despite going varying fast/slow pitches, keeping to the batter's cold zones, and trying to keep the slow pitches down in the zone I always seem to have much better luck when I stick to what the AI suggests via the catcher's mitt. And because I'm always sticking to what the AI suggests, it's not as fun to pitch since it feels so routine :/

How many strikes do you throw vs intentionally out of the zone? I feel like that is a common problem, people try to keep it in the zone too much.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Auk14HP posted:

No clue, playing the show against the computer bores me to tears. H2H though is my poo poo. It really is a chess game against another person and its a ton of fun.The give and take in the pitcher/hitter duel is really intense, especially in a close game and when you realize the other guy knows what he's doing.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

No clue, playing the show against the computer bores me to tears. H2H though is my poo poo. It really is a chess game against another person and its a ton of fun.The give and take in the pitcher/hitter duel is really intense, especially in a close game and when you realize the other guy knows what he's doing.

*gives up a dinger to David Wright*

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Location, Location, Location. Also establishing and then changing sightlines is key (ie. high inside fastball followed by low and/or away changeup/slider/curve)

When pitching against the computer I usually follow this rough strategy:

1st pitch: best FB/Cutter/Sinker, low and in to same handed / low and away to opposite handed

2nd pitch:
- if he took the first pitch, I'll throw the same one. low and away to either
- if he swung at the first pitch, i'll throw a change-up to the same spot or the same/similar pitch low and to the other side of the plate

3rd pitch:
- if it's 0-2, I'll throw off-speed low out of the zone and to a side of the plate depending on how he reacted to the first two pitches
- if it's 1-1 or 2-0, I'll throw another hard pitch somewhere low in the zone based off of how he's swung at/taken the last two pitches

4th pitch:
- if it's 0-2 or 1-2, fastball high and in, borderline out of the zone (get him going up the ladder)
- if it's 2-1, fastball middle-low (or changeup if you've got one that's good enough that you're really sure you can locate it low and still find the zone)
- if it's 3-0, just try to throw a strike and stay away from hot zones/places you've already pitched to a ton

5th pitch:
- if it's 0-2 or 1-2, off-speed low and away
- if it's 2-2, fastball high and in again (same as 0-2/1-2)
- if it's 3-1, same as 3-0

After that its really just remembering what you've thrown and what he's swung at

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2016

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Lockback posted:

How many strikes do you throw vs intentionally out of the zone? I feel like that is a common problem, people try to keep it in the zone too much.

Not a ton. It seems like the AI is really good about not swinging at much out of the zone, making those I intentionally throw out of it a waste (most of the time).

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The AI will swing at a fair amount out of the zone, especially if you start it in the zone with a slider, curve, change, etc. Even more so if the count is in your favour since they'll need to protect.

Really though, the catcher's suggestions are usually a good starting point to start understanding how the pitching works. As time goes by you can start putting in a few of your own choices and see how they work and then eventually you'll get to the point where you don't need the suggestions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Auk14HP posted:

Not a ton. It seems like the AI is really good about not swinging at much out of the zone, making those I intentionally throw out of it a waste (most of the time).

I think that's where you should work. The CPU will strike out swinging out of the zone a lot, but usually you have to work to get there. Dandy Kaiser's progression I think is a pretty good idea of working a guy up and down. I'll sometimes alternate that with an in-to-out progression too.

Also know your pitcher. If a sinker or curve is his strike-out pitch, work your progression to build to that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

Baseball players are so unrecognizable that they have to wear their own jerseys, even when shooting a video that only baseball fans will watch.

The Yankees bullpen guys went to the observation deck at the new World Trade Center last year and if I saw them all there I would be like "Who the gently caress are all of these nerds and why are two of them so tall?"

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Lockback posted:

Dandy Kaiser's progression I think is a pretty good idea of working a guy up and down. I'll sometimes alternate that with an in-to-out progression too.

What is "Dandy Kaiser's progression"? A cursory google search didn't seem to bring up anything.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Auk14HP posted:

What is "Dandy Kaiser's progression"? A cursory google search didn't seem to bring up anything.

Uh he is the guy who posted right above you saying how to pitch in fake baseball.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it is me, the dandiest kaiser, accept no imitations

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If you preordered on PSN you should be preloaded.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
preordering tonight. Dave, i'll be ready to give up dingers tomorrow!!!

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Amazon gave me like $15 off for preordering through them because of Prime???? I dunno but I did it. I was thinking about taking the day off work but I dunno if the thing is gonna show up at like 4 pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

preordering tonight. Dave, i'll be ready to give up dingers tomorrow!!!

I'll be at work when it releases.

• Locked thread