Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I've been playing these games for like 5 years now and I still don't hit great. More of my wins than I'd care to admit come down to me crushing a mistake pitch or two over the course of a game. Learning to not only take a strike, but take a strikeout sometimes is just so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you ain't swingin' you ain't homerin'.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Did I miss an email with the preorder bonuses from Amazon or something? Haven't really checked out DD but I keep checking to see if the packs got added automatically or something.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

The Bunk posted:

Did I miss an email with the preorder bonuses from Amazon or something? Haven't really checked out DD but I keep checking to see if the packs got added automatically or something.

This confused me as well. Amazon emailed you with a code for the preorder bonuses. You gotta enter that 12 digit code into the PSN store.

Then, in game, you need to go into your Diamond Dynasty, then the pack store. Alongside all the usual packs with prices in stubs, there should be two options on the bottom right to redeem your preorder rookie pack and 10 standard packs.

It might take a little while for it to show up in your account once you redeem the code on the PSN store.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh hell yes, bought The Show 16. Son Goku the 240 pound 3B from 15 is back and still batting .340/.340/.650 in AAA, baby. I can't take a walk but I can hit baseballs into orbit.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't take a walk but I can hit baseballs into orbit.

:perfect:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hell yes, bought The Show 16. Son Goku the 240 pound 3B from 15 is back and still batting .340/.340/.650 in AAA, baby. I can't take a walk but I can hit baseballs into orbit.

I don't know how you could possibly take a walk against the computer, they just serve up meatballs all day.

I really need to start playing against people and just get demolished but as least there would be some diversity in plate appearance outcomes.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

This confused me as well. Amazon emailed you with a code for the preorder bonuses. You gotta enter that 12 digit code into the PSN store.

Then, in game, you need to go into your Diamond Dynasty, then the pack store. Alongside all the usual packs with prices in stubs, there should be two options on the bottom right to redeem your preorder rookie pack and 10 standard packs.

It might take a little while for it to show up in your account once you redeem the code on the PSN store.

Thanks, just spoke with a very pleasant chat rep who was able to confirm that they never emailed me.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

For anyone else playing RTTS on Dynamic difficulty, it appears there is a bug with Batting Difficulty for Position players. Seeing multiple people reporting it (myself included), Dynamic hitting still seems to work in all other modes though.

I finally switched to Pure Analog batting (been using timing since the series inception) and man what a difference, way more consistent at bats. Now to work on Zone instead of Directional type. How much of a negative is it to guess wrong using Zone?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a good write-up of all the different modes of pitching and hitting? I have no idea what analog and pulse mean. I guess the meter was self evident.

Also, a breakdown of how showtime works, especially how to unlock some of those other showtime abilities that I see in RTTS when developing my dude.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I got The Show the other day, I've been practicing a bit before starting up RTTS. It's been a few years since I last played The Show.

Dumb question, but do custom rosters work in RTTS? waiting for a full minors roster before I dig deep into the game.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

The Bunk posted:

Thanks, just spoke with a very pleasant chat rep who was able to confirm that they never emailed me.

Ah, sorry for assuming they emailed you a code! I love like 99% of the on the field stuff for this game, but the menus really confuse me. This is my first time playing this series.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a good write-up of all the different modes of pitching and hitting? I have no idea what analog and pulse mean. I guess the meter was self evident.

There's a guy by the name of CardinalBird5 on YouTube that put up videos explaining each hitting and pitching mode. I found it helpful to watch his video, then try out each type in the practice mode. I ended up settling on analog pitching and zone hitting with buttons. As I said above, this is my first time playing the series, and I definitely find all the options overwhelming.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
is the MVP edition worth it if I want to mostly play DD and RTTS?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

is the MVP edition worth it if I want to mostly play DD and RTTS?

yes because your bonuses specifically help out with those modes.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Did they make pitching a billion times harder this year? I played one online match. I can hit as well as ever, but my pitch location is barely better than random with the default controls. Maybe there's a reason that I've never seen anyone use default pitching controls on streams.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Okay, I asked some questions before and no one seemed to answer them, some of them I figured out and some of them were answered by youtube videos, but I still have some that I'd like answered if at all possible:

-Is there a way to transfer created players between PS3 and PS4 besides saving to the cloud in RTTS?

-Is there a way to transfer rosters without just uploading them to freakin' everyone and I guess that assumes uploaded rosters work on both systems?

-Can you do both local and online multiplayer at the same time? Like have two players on a team on one system and two on an other elsewhere (not ps3 and ps4, I mean like two ps3s, I know cross-play isn't a thing)?

-What's the best setup for local mp versus games? We didn't really dick with the settings and it meant that you always knew where a pitch was going to be.

-Are there any other recommended settings things in general I probably missed or wouldn't know about?

-Is there an easy way to see just the cards you already have in DD?

-Any other newbie tips?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Brightman posted:

Okay, I asked some questions before and no one seemed to answer them, some of them I figured out and some of them were answered by youtube videos, but I still have some that I'd like answered if at all possible:

-Is there a way to transfer created players between PS3 and PS4 besides saving to the cloud in RTTS? - not that we're aware of.

-Is there a way to transfer rosters without just uploading them to freakin' everyone and I guess that assumes uploaded rosters work on both systems? you should be able to put them on a jump drive, but haven't tested. may have license issues due to PSN accounts.

-Can you do both local and online multiplayer at the same time? Like have two players on a team on one system and two on an other elsewhere (not ps3 and ps4, I mean like two ps3s, I know cross-play isn't a thing)? No.

-What's the best setup for local mp versus games? We didn't really dick with the settings and it meant that you always knew where a pitch was going to be. most of us just play online so you'll have to tinker with it

-Are there any other recommended settings things in general I probably missed or wouldn't know about?

-Is there an easy way to see just the cards you already have in DD? all you have for that is the inventory page, which is broken out by team. no way to see all of your cards from a high level

-Any other newbie tips? :gitgud:

some answers inline :3:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I haven't bought this year's version yet but all previous years you could go into the pitching menu and there is a ball marker setting. Change it to fade and the marker will fade out when pitching so your opponent won't know what pitch is coming.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
If I have a save from 14 will it transfer straight to 16?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 5, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
No, I had two spend three hours installing my friend's copy of 15 just to move my saves over

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dubious posted:

some answers inline :3:

Thanks, no local+online mp sucks though, seems like that'd be doable. Also I found out that if you go into Diamond Dynasty and go to My Squad and you can at least see who you have without going through each team, but I don't think it tells you if you have doubles or whatever, plus you can't sell cards there.

jabro posted:

I haven't bought this year's version yet but all previous years you could go into the pitching menu and there is a ball marker setting. Change it to fade and the marker will fade out when pitching so your opponent won't know what pitch is coming.

Thanks, I'll try that out next time we play, hopefully it'll work out well enough.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Things are finally starting to click a little bit. I switched to the strike zone view and zone hitting with a reticle. After going scoreless for about 30 innings and mostly hitting weak groundouts something clicked and I hung 6 on the Red Sox in a 3 inning conquest game and its been going well since then. This is on Veteran difficulty.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know how you could possibly take a walk against the computer, they just serve up meatballs all day.

I really need to start playing against people and just get demolished but as least there would be some diversity in plate appearance outcomes.

I realized last night that I set pitching difficulty to Dynamic but that I had hitting difficulty set to Beginner, so I fixed that and wow, those breaking pitches loving move.

Hitting so much more difficult/fun now.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
2nd perfect game of the year, this time in H2H DD.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

2nd perfect game of the year, this time in H2H DD.

let's play a game you butt

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think my difficulties are set to dynamic because Yu Darvish had 15 Ks in 8 innings in his first start and like 3 in 5 in his second. That's definitely a much better way to handle the onboarding than in previous years, because I know in like 11 or 12 (the last time I played one) you just picked a difficulty and then it was trivially easy or punishingly hard, unless you messed around with sliders before finding the ones that smoothed out the curve.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone have any success in RTTS using Showtime while batting? It totally throws off my timing to the point where I gave up on it and just add Perks and save a tiny bit of meter for timing steals

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
This game is dumb for "phoning home to the server” or whatever even when you're just trying to navigate initial menus. Yesterday evening (maybe 6p Pacific time) I couldn't even get the main game screen to load up. And I'm wired into my network with a 50 Mps connection that was functioning fine on my other devices, so it clearly wasn't just my PS4's weak WiFi.

I ended up closing the game, turning off my PS4's online connection, restarting, and then just messing around with Play Now and Road to the Show. Everything worked great, no menu lag.

I understand that there's server issues, and that's fine, whatever. But it seems pretty silly to program your game such that server issues cause such a hindrance to accessing even the offline modes.

I love 95% of this game, almost everything on the field is amazing, but the menu speed, presentation, and layout could use some serious work.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Maybe that was why I was playing conquest and it was taking a full 5 seconds between actions to do anything and after sitting through 10 minutes to do a round I was like gently caress this and force quit the game and watched TV instead

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

but the menu speed, presentation, and layout could use some serious work.

it's got the best menus of any sports game. you ever play any EA games in the last 5 years?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

the server lag being mentioned is a serious problem though. I hope they address it.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004

Dubious posted:

it's got the best menus of any sports game. you ever play any EA games in the last 5 years?

I play Madden, and yeah, EA's menus are way worse, but in a different way.

I just find how The Show tends to lay things out very confusing. At least in MUT I've got a quick way to look at all of my cards, quick sell them, put them up for auction, etc. In The Show I'm still not totally clear on if I can just view all my collected cards at once. I can look through various positions by tabbing through my lineup, but I don't think I can sell from there. I am new to the series this year, so maybe I just don't have the hang of things yet, but it's my impression so far.

Menu presentation is a personal preference, I guess. I find The Show very text heavy, and the font they use makes it somewhat difficult to read in my opiniom. There's a lot to take in. I appreciate how amazingly customizable the game is, which is totally awesome, but the menus just strike me as more suited to a PC than a console, I guess.

At least (offline for now) the games load pretty quickly, and in Road to the Show you can train and advance to the next game without backing all the way out, which I love!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

the server lag being mentioned is a serious problem though. I hope they address it.

Yeah agreed, this is incredibly obnoxious; it's taking forever to do really basic things at peak times

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The Show's menus make doing normal things easy to find. They are god awful at everything else. The categories, at least on RTTS, are no better than random. Try to find where you change your equipment upgrades and then where you change the coloring. They are in totally different categories.

Supposedly you can add chants and cheers again this year, but I was totally unable to find the option in several minutes of searching. I can find where you assign them. That screen helpfully informs you that you have not made any but gives no hints as to where or how you make them.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Today I learned to let go of the left stick when you start the pitching meter, because I gave up one too many steals to second when my catcher started running around the plate like an idiot. A good lesson.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I haven't played a baseball video game since like, RBI Baseball on NES. I rented this and have been playing the RTTS mode or whatever it's called where you create a player and then have a career, I'm in AA ball and have been mostly playing games, occasionally simulating them, etc. but I don't know much about the other modes. I did a home run derby earlier which was whatever. I just tried the mode where you draft a team (confusing and I think I hosed it up pretty bad) and then tried playing a game with my drafted team where I got lagged to poo poo and lost 1-0 (probably doesn't help that I've never done any pitching in this game until this mode). Any suggestions on what I should be doing in this game, or what would be the most fun mode for a total newbie?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Season or franchise will give you a decent overview of how a bunch of the systems interact. You can set all the spreadsheet poo poo to be handled automatically by the computer, if you're into playing the game The Wrong Way.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Waffles Inc. posted:

Anyone have any success in RTTS using Showtime while batting? It totally throws off my timing to the point where I gave up on it and just add Perks and save a tiny bit of meter for timing steals

Don't, save it for stealing and fielding.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't played a baseball video game since like, RBI Baseball on NES. I rented this and have been playing the RTTS mode or whatever it's called where you create a player and then have a career, I'm in AA ball and have been mostly playing games, occasionally simulating them, etc. but I don't know much about the other modes. I did a home run derby earlier which was whatever. I just tried the mode where you draft a team (confusing and I think I hosed it up pretty bad) and then tried playing a game with my drafted team where I got lagged to poo poo and lost 1-0 (probably doesn't help that I've never done any pitching in this game until this mode). Any suggestions on what I should be doing in this game, or what would be the most fun mode for a total newbie?

Franchise is fun and good and if you don't add you and your friends as 99 OVR monsters to your team to try to have three players who break Bonds' record then why are you even playing video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

so I've already won a game this year on a walk off strikeout, so that's a thing I guess

• Locked thread