Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
How long does walk up music play? Cause I'm really leaning towards I'm as High as Hell and You're About to Get Shot. I'm also considering Keep Those Balls in the Air for a homerun trot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

How the hell am I supposed to get 4 wins with a lovely relief pitching c.j. wilson?

This is gonna suck.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

So the answer to my riddle of how the hell do I get wins with C.J. Wilson:

Bring him with two outs in the fifth. So if any of you get a similar mission there you go.

2 wins down, 2 to go tomorrow.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I'm an idiot that doesn't understand how conquest works. I just attacked a stronghold and won, but I didn't take the territory. How do I take a stronghold?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I am having fun looking at the Inside Edge stuff. Some notes:

The Royals game Sunday will apparently be blow out. There are 8 Mets at 5 stars and 4 at 4 stars. Conversely the only Royal above 2 stars in Soria who has 3.

Secondly, some of these notes are non-sense. Steve Pearce is a five star with the note: "Matchup data is limited, but it favors Stroman." On the other end Wade Davis is a one star with the note: "Opponents have an OPS of .491 against Davis at home over the last two years."

This is gonna be a fun bizarre probably unpredictable gimmick this year. I love it. DD is awesome now.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I know davecrazy threw a no hitter or perfect game or some poo poo, so this is pretty much nothing, but every time I throw a CGSO I feel so goooood. poo poo is exciting.

Best part was Phil Hughes also drove in one of my two runs with a two out double. My other run was off what I call the Jonathan Schoop Special were I mis-time a low breaking ball and instead of rolling over it I somehow wrap that poo poo around the foul pole. My version of Schoop already has 5 HR and I swear 3 of them would of made Vlad blush.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I'm trying to figure the math on this 850 inning thing. I figured I would run a simple test to see if it counted bench players/SP/bullpen guys.

Okay, I have 2 guys in the line-up. 3 on the bench. 3 in the bullpen. 1 in the rotation who didn't start. I play 8.5 innings since I won at home. How many innings do you think I got?

54... I guess it counts the starter that didn't pitch, but not the bullpen guys?

Edit: added someone to the bench. Still got 54... it might... it might actually be counting outs since 27 outs times 2 is 54. Will know for sure when this game is over.

Edit: it's outs! The command mission that calls for 850 innings actually needs 850 outs!

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 2, 2016

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I love how common bean balls are online. It's so bizarre. At least in real life there is actual pain in getting hit. Online it is just a free runner on base and yet people still plunk my hitters.

It's especially bizarre when they insist on hitting my pitchers cause that's just turning a sure out into a base runner.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

What Davecrazy said. This is what helped me though. Taking a strike isn't a terrible result, ok? The key is to not think "if it's a strike I need to swing" and instead think "if it looks like I'll make good contact I should swing". Does that make sense?

Timing just comes down to pratice. You just have to learn that. I still pull fastballs foul if I get too amped. It happens. You just learn to do it less.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Like it no joke took me 2+ years of playing to get decent at hitting, just being able to read the track of the pitch took me forever.

Truth. I've been playing DD since the beginning and I can hold my own now, but I'm still decidedly mid-teir. I can hit though. It just takes mad practice.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Wade muthafucking Davis! Thanks poo poo servers!!

Now I just need Cain to finish the collection.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Dubious posted:

for anyone that wants to grind out collections, here's your matrix

This may be a dumb question. But when I finish a collection of a team, can I feed those cards to my player or do I need them for completing the divisions? So I guess the question is do I need ever card from the division or do I need to redeem all the collections in a division?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

poo poo quality, but...

Perfecto bitches! That guy wasn't exactly swining at balls in the dirt the whole time either. I pounded the strike-zone pretty regularly, he just couldn't solve for me switching speeds.

First ever perfect game for me and I have been playing DD since they invented it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I've never had a card as valuable as a diamond SP. The only diamond I have ever had in Wade Davis. Anyway, would it be feasible to flip him multiple times? The tax on selling is 10%, but the way the market works it should pretty easy to clear that. I have done that before with less good cards, most notably Luke Hochevar. I sell him and buy him back at a profit generating about ~40-60 stubs each time. If you did that with multiple cards could you fund a team pretty easily? I might have to try this.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Playing 2k innings to unlock Billy loving Wagner (who was poo poo as a Met) is the most boring toilsome poo poo. That Gary Carter better be loving worth it.

Kind of considering building an all switch hitting lineup for the hell of it. I haven't gone through all the reward cards to see which guys were switch.

C Saltalamacchia (reward)/Grandal
1b Teixeira/Smoak
2b Zobrist/Neil Walker
3b Solarte/Headley
ss Reyes/Asdrubal Cabrera
lf Melky Cabrera/Nick Swisher (reward)
cf Fowler/Billy Burns/Billy Hammilton
rf Beltran/Victorino/Nava

I myself was confused about Royals rewards being Mike Aviles and Billy Butler. Don't get me wrong, I love some Country Breakfast, but I am surprised it wasn't Sweeney. I guess maybe the MLBPA makes certain guys much cheaper.

Doesn't explain Wagner though.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I've had challenge failed for like 3 days straight. Am I doing something wrong or are the servers still broke as poo poo?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

What your missing is that beginner is like easy mode on guitar hero. Literally all you were in charge of was hitting X at the right times. It is a pretty arcadey game at times, but on not that difficultly things matter. You won't get nothing but meatballs. The other team will actually hit the ball hard. Etc. Turn that difficulty up at least to veteran. If it is still too easy then congrats. If that is not too easy, it will become easy pretty soon and then you can play all-star and chances are you can get pissed at the game on a regular basis.

Also, despite the fact online is broken, a lot of the fun comes from playing against real human beings.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Ice To Meet You posted:

Online is fun because I usually strike out or make weak contact 90% of the time and then hit 2 dingers and win.

I have two all-time favorite the Show memories. One is exactly that. I hit a walk-off home-run down the line at the Polo Grounds and immediately got a pissed off message about how that was bullshit and I was a scrub and it wasn't fair that the game rewarded me for mistiming a fastball. I wrote back "Sucks to suck."

My other favorite memory was of playing against this guy that for whatever reason would not stop leaving cheese up in the strike-zone. So I mean I was just teeing off. Homer after homer after homer. Then he asked for a friendly quit when it like 12-0 and I said no. And instead of conceding he started beaning my guys. He paused the game and tied to force me to make him concede instead of asking for a concede. So instead I waited him out. Eventually he tricked me by hitting pause mid pitch so when I hit square the game ended. Still. Hilarious.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

For real though, Polo Grounds is the best. The other day I had Sano pimp a homerun he crushed a whole 312 feet.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I'm 0-2 taking on the cubs stronghold because my outfield has committed 3 errors that have resulted in 5 runs...

Edit: technically 2, but the cubs got a base clearing double with two out when my right fielder ran past a looper without putting up his glove at all. The thing almost hit him in the face.

And now it's 2-0 nothing after two homers. Jesus christ, I loving hate the Cubs

3-2 final. Get hosed assholes, :toot:

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 8, 2016

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

If I was a GM and my AA manager let my 18 yr old first round pick who throws drat near 100 mph throw 120 pitches in his second start I would fire that rear end in a top hat so loving fast.

Edit: My RTTS catcher has committed three straight "throwing errors" because my second baseman can loving catch. Three straight I've hit R2 over the target. Three straight skipped throws. -30 points. gently caress this stupid throwing system.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2016

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I just rage-quit a game against the AI. Listen to this poo poo.

I had 13 hits, including 6 doubles. I never scored. Additionally it was Yordano Ventura's first game back from the DL after he broke his hand. In the middle of the tenth, after striking out 18, he broke his arm Tony Saunders style.

gently caress this bullshit game sometimes.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

That has happened to me as well. I find the difficulty jumps in general to be weird sometimes. On my second time through the dynamic ladder I found myself struggling more with veteran than all-star because on veteran the CPU throws more strikes and therefore I can't get myself into as many hitter's counts.

This game has a vendetta against Ventura btw. I played that game again, he left in the fifth with an injury. The start before he broke his hand he left early with an injury. So for four straight games the computer has killed Ventura... I just added 20 pts to his durability cause this poo poo is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I just drew 5 walks in a game. I don’t think I've ever drawn or surrendered 5 in a game.

• Locked thread