Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I pre-ordered this just to play online with a friend. It'll be the first baseball videogame I've played since Triple Play something from way back.

I'm pretty excited even though I'm going to have to make my own cover featuring A-Rod or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

I want cheat codes to come back and I don't know why they stopped putting them in games. This is where I would post the video of Triple Play Baseball, where the players have big heads, super speed, 10 foot long bats, explode whenever they touch each other, and are playing on the moon, but it's no longer on Youtube :(

The secret team in Triple Play was the goddamn best. Gary McKay, the 2 foot tall guy with a flaming bat who could bunt home runs was the best.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My pitcher warm up music is gonna be "No Hitter" and my walk-up music totally gonna be "Batflip", both by Puig Destroyer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rizzo v Hosmer

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/03/21...196554717042842

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

Baseball players are so unrecognizable that they have to wear their own jerseys, even when shooting a video that only baseball fans will watch.

The Yankees bullpen guys went to the observation deck at the new World Trade Center last year and if I saw them all there I would be like "Who the gently caress are all of these nerds and why are two of them so tall?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I made a Dellin Betances clone in RTTS last night and then next thing I knew it was 3AM and why the gently caress was I still in AA I was unstoppable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hell yes, bought The Show 16. Son Goku the 240 pound 3B from 15 is back and still batting .340/.340/.650 in AAA, baby. I can't take a walk but I can hit baseballs into orbit.

I don't know how you could possibly take a walk against the computer, they just serve up meatballs all day.

I really need to start playing against people and just get demolished but as least there would be some diversity in plate appearance outcomes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know how you could possibly take a walk against the computer, they just serve up meatballs all day.

I really need to start playing against people and just get demolished but as least there would be some diversity in plate appearance outcomes.

I realized last night that I set pitching difficulty to Dynamic but that I had hitting difficulty set to Beginner, so I fixed that and wow, those breaking pitches loving move.

Hitting so much more difficult/fun now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dubious posted:

Best I got from the apology packs was Mark Texeira :kratos:

Um Mark Teixeira owns?

Also my roommate is now on a quest to get 20 strikeouts in a game with his SP. He's failed with Tanaka and Scherzer so far.

EDIT: He's playing online right now and he just had Utley PH for Kershaw, and the other dude immediately threw a fastball at his head. :v:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I made a Dellin Betances clone for RTTS and I can't get out of AA :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

I was pleased, but not all that surprised, that my player had audio in the game.

I hope you imported a very distinctive walk-up song.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My dude's announcer name is The Big Gaucho.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
RTTS is quite possibly the most "Just one more turn!" thing I have ever played. "Just one more series" *3 hours later* "One more won't hurt!"

eightysixed posted:

This is my first baseball game since like Triple Play 99 on PS1. I picked this up, and of course the first question it asks you is "Is this your first The Show game, if so pick Novice etc etc," so I did. First Spring Training game last night I won 33-0. What am I missing here? It seems very arcade-y, also press X to throw a fastball to pitch, press x when the ball cross the plate to bat.

Change the difficulty to dynamic. I felt the same way, but it turns out the AI doesn't just throw FBs down the middle at all times!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JohnnyPalace posted:

Did they fix this? I have been focusing on DD because the hitting difficulty was stuck on rookie in RTTS.

Yeah, it's definitely fixed, pitchers throw me breaking stuff out of the zone.

I think they actually fixed it a little too much for pitching. AA hitters are squaring up on my Betances clone way too easily given that he's throwing 99 and painting the corners.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Do the base coaches yell at me through the controller in RTTS? That's what I really need, I'm tired of my manager looking forlorn in the dugout because I didn't try to take an extra base on a ball nowhere near deep enough for that sort of thing but they apparently wanted me to do anyway?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rickiep00h posted:

I never listen to the coaches. It doesn't matter how many bases I take because the god drat loving Angels are gonna strand me wherever I am anyway.

But yes I think they're supposed to yell at you. But do you really listen when it's Mecha-Mike Scioscia telling you what to do?

Well I'm still in AAA.

In the Phillies system.

I had to look up their manager and then look up the manager's name because I was like "Is this a real person?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also my current RTTS guy is a shortstop who has batted over .400 in AA and AAA (small sample in AAA so far) but has never taken a single walk and has single-digit career strikeouts and only 3 homers. He's a contact machine but I feel like if he was real people would be intensely frustrated with his inability to see more than 2 pitches in an AB.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 3, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Oh you're role-playing Andrelton Simmons that's cool.

I also have no idea how to dive so my range at SS is...Jeterian.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moe_Rahn posted:

The true test is if you have an OBP lower than your batting average.

Exactly equal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rickiep00h posted:

I'm playing dynamic batting difficulty and worked my way up to Legend. Halfway between that and Legend+ and difficulty jumps back Beginner 5. You'd think that would be easier, but holy poo poo I am in front of everything now and basically every ball goes directly to a fielder.

This is the second time this happened. It's like Dynamic hits some overflow value and wraps around or something.

My roommate ran into the same thing, we both just chalked it up to some kind of dumb "prestige" mechanic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How the hell does the game even model injuries? Because the amount of line drives I have hit into a guy's kidney/liver that he simply picked up and threw me out on seems kind of insane.

The two biggest things I want in the game are better player/ball physics and your manager/base coaches actually loving letting you know when the AI runner is gonna steal when you're on base. Oh I'm on 3rd with 90 speed and you're giving the guy on first the go sign? MAYBE loving TELL ME SO I CAN FINALLY STEAL HOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

davecrazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqt_vVJjWiU

This is the definition of :feelsgood:. This motherfucker was abusing me all game long with up and in fastballs, then sneaking changeups and curveballs that were fooling the poo poo out of me. But you go to that well one time too many....

New Jersey Mets? You really are self-loathing.

• Locked thread