Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZw9om_Ny5c
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I hate serious posting in this thread but people are genuinely confused so it's like this:

Fates has 3 campaigns. Birthright, Conquest and Revelation. All three have completely different maps and stories. There are some characters and classes that are playable in Birthright but not Conquest and vice-versa. Revelation combines the two rosters.

You buy either Birthright or Conquest first, for $40. Then the other two are bought digitally only for $20 each. A total of $80 if you buy all three. Revelation is digital only and requires you to already own either Birthright or Conquest.

If you buy both Birthright and Conquest cartridges, you are spending $80 on something that's only $60 if you buy at least one of them digitally.
Addendum: If you've bought one from either the eshop or as a physical purchase, buy the other from the in-game DLC menu, do not buy the second from the eshop.
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Fire Emblem that series that you piss and moan about whenever a character shows up in Smash or VGCW. The Fire Emblem series are turn-based tac-dick-all RPGs developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The series has three main hallmarks that work together to make it unique. The first is each unit is a completely distinct character. They have their own name, portrait, class sets, personality, stat growths and new to Fates they each get a unique skill. Second, all stat-gains on level-ups are determined by the RNG, so a unit can be real stronk on one playthrough and then suck rear end on another. The third hallmark is that characters perma-die if fall in battle and as such can't be deployed for the rest of the game. If this happens I highly recommend restarting the chapter as having a unit perma-die can gently caress you over long term. You can disable perma-death in Fates but (somewhat ironically) I would only do so if you're a veteran to the series, as doing so trivializes the difficulty.

Fire Emblem: Fates is the 14th entry in this series. It differs from past games in that it's actually three games (as explained above). You take on the role of a kawaii-hime/whatever the male version of a hime is, use tac-dicks to lead your army of beautiful anime warriors to victory, and learn the importance of friendship in the process. Fates also lets you bang your step-siblings; a feature I'm told many people are looking forward to.

So what are the differences between these campaigns exactly? Well it's like this:

Birthright:japan:
You side with the nation of Hoshido. They're a bunch of peace-loving hippies and otaku-weebs. This is the easiest of the campaigns and will allow you to replay maps for more experience points. As such, if you plan on playing all three (which you should) then Birthright is probably gonna be the one you want to start with; especially if you are new to the series. This is the campaign that lets you skinship with your real* little sister.

Conquest:hist101:
You side with the nation of Nohr. They're a bunch of dark and edgy Euro-trash scum. This is the harder campaign, you can't grind. I'm of the opinion that whether or not to grind is a choice that the players should make for themselves but most you poo poo-fuckers seem to be unable to resist the allure of big-numbers and then blame the game when it is too easy after you've spent 20 hours grinding.

Revelation:cumpolice:
You're all like: "ALL Y'ALL NIGGAZ SUCK DICK!" and do yo' own thang. That thang being a bunch of dumb anime bullshit. You need to already own one of the other two in order to buy this one, and it assumes you've already one campaign to completion already. Harder than Birthright but grinding is still allowed. As is skinship with your real* little sister.

If you still don't know which one to buy don't worry, I made a helpful guide:

Links and poo poo:
Fire Emblem Megathread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
FE: Awakening thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528797
Thread for Tiki's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Idol Tendency - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780941
Serenes Forrest, a site with all the info about characters, skills, wepon and maps (just don't read their forums) - http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/
That weird blog that compares Ike and Ashnard to Robert E. Lee and Abe Lincoln respectively - http://www.koopatv.org/2015/02/ike-and-abe-thatd-never-happen.html
Goon My Castle Address Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pRZoQnCmSyuKehGnILlFnz5odvo-a8ESxoJDR2xOvdg/edit#gid=96686778

:siren:Important notice: Hitting R, L, START and SELECT at the same time will soft-reset your game. You will be doing this often.

New features, changes and other bullshit:

-Weapon durability removed: Weapons no longer break after a certain number of uses. Instead most of them now have some sort of drawback to prevent you from always using the most OP ones
-wepon triangle changed: Bows and magic are now part of the triangle. As are the new throwing-dagger wepon.
-Pair-up reworked: Split into attack and support stances. Pair-up guys like in Awakening to get support stances; gaining stats boost and dual guard for the front unit. Putting two units not in support stance next to eachother can trigger attack stances, which is a much more consistent dual-attack mode. Enemies can also make use of pair-up now.
-Amiibo support: Now you can finally justify to yourself how you paid a scalp $175 for your Lucina amiibo. Using the amiibo gets you that character as a unit. Each amiibo unit has their own unique class and skills, but you cannot bang them. The Marth, Ike, Frank and Lucina amiibos will all work. No word about the Roy amiibo but that's ok because gently caress Roy.

-Personal skills: Playable characters have special skills unique to them in addition to their class skills. Most are inferior to the class skills, but some really do wonders for a character's usability.
-Memes: End here!
-New classes: Ninjas, Blacksmiths, Kinshi Kights, Werewolves, and Fighters who are also girls. And plenty of new skills to go with them, some of which are actually interesting!
-New special environmental ability bullshit thing that I don't give a gently caress what it's called: Use the royal characters to do poo poo like dry up lakes, destroy bridges, start sandstorms and other crap that fucks with the map. But be advised; enemy royals can use it against you.

-Gay-marrying Gay-Dio: M-preg not included.
-My Castle: A super fleshed-out version of Awakening's barracks. You can build crap, have your dudes run stores, outfit your soldiers with kawaii accessories, Fulton extract enemies and force them to join Animés San Frontiéres, and get invaded by other Private Forces over streetpass.
-Marriage/Buddy Seals: Change into the class of your waifu (who is poo poo).
-DLC: Some get you new classes, one is the obligatory beach DLC. There's also a DLC that gets you Anna as a playable (and bangable) unit. I cannot currently comment on the quality of the DLC.

-Questionable localization decisions: "Malig Knight."
-A bang-maid: You can make that hoor your wife. Rum Ham not included.
-Skinship with your real* little sister: Nintendo doesn't think Americans can handle all the Staff~. Americans can handle the Staff~, however Nintendo of America believes skinship is best saved for marriage.

FAQ

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, would I be able to play this one and still have fun?
Yes. But if this is the case then be sure to start with Birthright, since it's the easier campaign. Also play on normal since hard mode is actually hard.
What other FE games are good entry points into the series?
7, 8, 9, and 13. Stay away from the other ones until you've played one of those.
What are the difficulties like?
Normal is normal. Hard is pretty loving hard. Lunatic is very hard but not unfun bullshit like it has been in most previous FE games with a very hard difficulty
Do I have to gently caress my step-siblings?
No.
Can I gently caress my cousin?

cheetah7071 posted:

First cousins banging isn't even particularly weird or bad, shut up about it already.

quote:

The real reason you shouldn't marry Aqua is because she's boring as all hell.

This is probably being changed somehow for the international release. lol
Is this game good?
gently caress. Yes.
Can I post spoilers in this thread?
The character named "Iago" is a badguy. The main character's mom dies early on and this drives their motivation in the first act of the story. This is a Fire Emblem game, not The Usual Suspects, nothing you can spoil is going to be so big that it completely changes the experience of the game if you know it going in. Treat this as a spoiler thread from here on out ok?
I thought skinship, with your real* little sister or otherwise, got removed, what happened?
You can only skinship with the guy you've married in the NA release (effectively removing any mechanical benefit from it). This includes your real* little sister.
I have incredibly strong feelings about localization/skinship/butt-babies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
Is this game like XCOM?
This game is exactly like XCOM.
What's your favorite anime?
Generation Kill
Any special bullshit I gotta do to recruit guys?
For the most part no but there are a few edge cases, and those are mostly prepromotes. There are guys who will only join if you upgrade certain buildings in your castle. Ask in the thread if you want specifics.
I got Kaze an S rank but I haven't gotten a new paralogue?
This is a problem unique to Birthright. Make sure that Frank has an A rank with Kaze before you play Chapter 15.
Who is the objective best waifu?
Well my personal waifu is Rudy Reyes from Generation Kill, who is not in this game. I do not know who the best waifu in Fates is, but it sure as poo poo ain't your trash waifu.
Where can I go to discuss that FExSMT game?
You mean Tiki's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Idol Tendency?

Can you make this one stupid, unneeded and unfunny change to the OP?
I will make any change to the OP you want so long as the person who asks for it can beat me in a 1v1 deathmatch in John Romero's DAIKATANA. I extend this offer to everyone in the thread. You are NOT allowed to choose a champion to fight in your place.
Hey how do I-
If you have any further questions ask in the thread. If there's a question that people keep asking over and over again I'll add it here.

*Not actually your real little sister.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hi

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I must admit, I'm still not entirely sure what's Japanese about Pegasi, a European myth.

But Hoshido must flyyyyyyyy!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nohr fohr life

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
good op, op, but roy's always my boy and would certainly side would nohr

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Supremezero posted:

I must admit, I'm still not entirely sure what's Japanese about Pegasi, a European myth.

But Hoshido must flyyyyyyyy!

they are actually tenma which are like pegasi but different :eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianma

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

also aqua/azura is cool and not boring at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is a good thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TWIST FIST posted:

also aqua/azura is cool and not boring at all

Maybe the localizers made her not suck but she's boring as all hell in Japanese

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hooray now I have another thread to bitch about Australian release dates and pricing. Did you know that in addition to claiming a placeholder price of $200 for the SE, EB want a $50 deposit on the preorder? :suicide:

E: Not literally in addition it's not 250 but it's a ridiculous deposit that's discouraging me from preordering and hoping it drops.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Any word on if the cipher stuff is going to be included for the NA release or do we not get to play with the einherjar or whatever they're called now?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TWIST FIST posted:

they are actually tenma which are like pegasi but different :eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianma

These, too, are not Japanese.

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe the localizers made her not suck but she's boring as all hell in Japanese

Please NoA, save us from IS's lovely writing of Azura and Conquest. And probably Revelations, knowing IS.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey are the amiibo maps hard or can getting ike be the first thing i do in conquest

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They're sort of hard I gather, at least not things you can do right away.

On a different note, not-tharja is going to not have an Indian accent and is going to be terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite anime is symphogear

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i can't wait to be a dropout at SRPG University again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Please NoA, save us from IS's lovely writing of Azura and Conquest. And probably Revelations, knowing IS.

Not happening. Is it really that much worse than Awakening or did people just have really high expectations? Because that is not a high bar.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to play these games but handheld screens make my eyes hurt after like 20 minutes, wish that PC capture thing were less expensive :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Voted Cowboy Bebob in place of Space Dandy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

G Gundam is a low-tier Imagawa show

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Anatharon posted:

Not happening. Is it really that much worse than Awakening or did people just have really high expectations? Because that is not a high bar.

Well, apparently, IS had to go all Nationalism Ho! on the plots, so Birthright has a good, well-written story, and Conquest is basically the Avatar being a pussy for 90% of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

there's some mildly dumb writing where people do incredibly stupid things instead of just explaining what is going on, but the same can be said of literally every fire emblem ever released. and birthright actually has a decent plot because it's pretty straightforward and has sympathetic villains as a consequence of the route gimmick.

people acting like conquest's plot is the worst thing ever are just weirdos who expected a fire emblem game to have a plot that raised above 'i mean there were a couple of good moments and the characters were fun.'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Someone read the poll off for me so I can participate, polls don't show up in the awful app

My favorite anime is uuuuuuuuuh

TTGL????? I dunno I like a lot of animes

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

cheetah7071 posted:

Someone read the poll off for me so I can participate, polls don't show up in the awful app

My favorite anime is uuuuuuuuuh

TTGL????? I dunno I like a lot of animes

Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz

The correct answer is The Godfather, by the way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like G Gundam

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Conquest's plot was touted as "darker and more complex than a traditional Fire Emblem narrative" which is good in theory but also IntSys.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

cheetah7071 posted:

I like G Gundam

Excellent, chalk 1 more vote up to The Godfather.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the actual correct answer is flcl but nohr works just as well

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I like G Gundam

This is the correct answer.

Related to the actual thread: how much use do I actually get out of having a Lucina amiibo? I got a Marth awhile ago when they finally released the stranglehold on those but as far as I know Lucina is still rare as gently caress and I am not paying 40+ bucks for a tiny figure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get a mildly useful unit with a unique class

it is not worth 40 dollars

frankly it isn't worth 10

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

LornMarkus posted:

This is the correct answer.

Related to the actual thread: how much use do I actually get out of having a Lucina amiibo? I got a Marth awhile ago when they finally released the stranglehold on those but as far as I know Lucina is still rare as gently caress and I am not paying 40+ bucks for a tiny figure.

You know those DLC maps that cost about $3 or whatever for Awakening? That came with a Map and a character? And sometimes a skill or a new class?

You're getting just a character. For the price of an Amiibo.

Have fun!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's neat if you already have the amiibo but it isn't worth buying an amiibo for. the same can be said of amiibo features in every game ever made.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Supremezero posted:

You know those DLC maps that cost about $3 or whatever for Awakening? That came with a Map and a character? And sometimes a skill or a new class?

You're getting just a character. For the price of an Amiibo.

Have fun!

Endorph posted:

you get a mildly useful unit with a unique class

it is not worth 40 dollars

frankly it isn't worth 10

Excellent, exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thank you kindly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I bought all 4 amiibos.

I guess I might use them in Smash one day?

They're not so horribly gouged in Australia and one I even got on special.

:shrug: I'm probably an idiot.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

No TTGL in the poll? For shame.

I'm so hype for this game, just a week left aaaaa!!!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I bought all 4 amiibos.

It's okay to buy useless things for no other reason than wanting them, provided you do so responsibly.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I bought all 4 amiibos.

*shrug* If you want to have them then they're no worse than any other useless shiny you can buy. I do want a Lucina just . . . yeah, not for the price of the game itself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Get the amiibos if you like anime figures and would rather have cheaper, lower quality ones than expensive, high quality ones

If amiibo features enter into your mental calculus, you're buying them for the wrong reason

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Amiibo features are a nice perk for what is ultimately a decorative object, but if Nintendo succeeds in their attempts making them good for stuff in more games, they might graduate to real toys someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I was kinda hoping Nintendo would reprint the Fire Emblem amiibos for fates and maybe I'd pick up a Lucina and Ike but oh well.

• Locked thread