Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZw9om_Ny5c
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I hate serious posting in this thread but people are genuinely confused so it's like this:

Fates has 3 campaigns. Birthright, Conquest and Revelation. All three have completely different maps and stories. There are some characters and classes that are playable in Birthright but not Conquest and vice-versa. Revelation combines the two rosters.

You buy either Birthright or Conquest first, for $40. Then the other two are bought digitally only for $20 each. A total of $80 if you buy all three. Revelation is digital only and requires you to already own either Birthright or Conquest.

If you buy both Birthright and Conquest cartridges, you are spending $80 on something that's only $60 if you buy at least one of them digitally.
Addendum: If you've bought one from either the eshop or as a physical purchase, buy the other from the in-game DLC menu, do not buy the second from the eshop.
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Fire Emblem that series that you piss and moan about whenever a character shows up in Smash or VGCW. The Fire Emblem series are turn-based tac-dick-all RPGs developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The series has three main hallmarks that work together to make it unique. The first is each unit is a completely distinct character. They have their own name, portrait, class sets, personality, stat growths and new to Fates they each get a unique skill. Second, all stat-gains on level-ups are determined by the RNG, so a unit can be real stronk on one playthrough and then suck rear end on another. The third hallmark is that characters perma-die if fall in battle and as such can't be deployed for the rest of the game. If this happens I highly recommend restarting the chapter as having a unit perma-die can gently caress you over long term. You can disable perma-death in Fates but (somewhat ironically) I would only do so if you're a veteran to the series, as doing so trivializes the difficulty.

Fire Emblem: Fates is the 14th entry in this series. It differs from past games in that it's actually three games (as explained above). You take on the role of a kawaii-hime/whatever the male version of a hime is, use tac-dicks to lead your army of beautiful anime warriors to victory, and learn the importance of friendship in the process. Fates also lets you bang your step-siblings; a feature I'm told many people are looking forward to.

So what are the differences between these campaigns exactly? Well it's like this:

Birthright:japan:
You side with the nation of Hoshido. They're a bunch of peace-loving hippies and otaku-weebs. This is the easiest of the campaigns and will allow you to replay maps for more experience points. As such, if you plan on playing all three (which you should) then Birthright is probably gonna be the one you want to start with; especially if you are new to the series. This is the campaign that lets you skinship with your real* little sister.

Conquest:hist101:
You side with the nation of Nohr. They're a bunch of dark and edgy Euro-trash scum. This is the harder campaign, you can't grind. I'm of the opinion that whether or not to grind is a choice that the players should make for themselves but most you poo poo-fuckers seem to be unable to resist the allure of big-numbers and then blame the game when it is too easy after you've spent 20 hours grinding.

Revelation:cumpolice:
You're all like: "ALL Y'ALL NIGGAZ SUCK DICK!" and do yo' own thang. That thang being a bunch of dumb anime bullshit. You need to already own one of the other two in order to buy this one, and it assumes you've already one campaign to completion already. Harder than Birthright but grinding is still allowed. As is skinship with your real* little sister.

If you still don't know which one to buy don't worry, I made a helpful guide:

Links and poo poo:
Fire Emblem Megathread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
FE: Awakening thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528797
Thread for Tiki's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Idol Tendency - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780941
Serenes Forrest, a site with all the info about characters, skills, wepon and maps (just don't read their forums) - http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/
That weird blog that compares Ike and Ashnard to Robert E. Lee and Abe Lincoln respectively - http://www.koopatv.org/2015/02/ike-and-abe-thatd-never-happen.html
Goon My Castle Address Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pRZoQnCmSyuKehGnILlFnz5odvo-a8ESxoJDR2xOvdg/edit#gid=96686778

:siren:Important notice: Hitting R, L, START and SELECT at the same time will soft-reset your game. You will be doing this often.

New features, changes and other bullshit:

-Weapon durability removed: Weapons no longer break after a certain number of uses. Instead most of them now have some sort of drawback to prevent you from always using the most OP ones
-wepon triangle changed: Bows and magic are now part of the triangle. As are the new throwing-dagger wepon.
-Pair-up reworked: Split into attack and support stances. Pair-up guys like in Awakening to get support stances; gaining stats boost and dual guard for the front unit. Putting two units not in support stance next to eachother can trigger attack stances, which is a much more consistent dual-attack mode. Enemies can also make use of pair-up now.
-Amiibo support: Now you can finally justify to yourself how you paid a scalp $175 for your Lucina amiibo. Using the amiibo gets you that character as a unit. Each amiibo unit has their own unique class and skills, but you cannot bang them. The Marth, Ike, Frank and Lucina amiibos will all work. No word about the Roy amiibo but that's ok because gently caress Roy.

-Personal skills: Playable characters have special skills unique to them in addition to their class skills. Most are inferior to the class skills, but some really do wonders for a character's usability.
-Memes: End here!
-New classes: Ninjas, Blacksmiths, Kinshi Kights, Werewolves, and Fighters who are also girls. And plenty of new skills to go with them, some of which are actually interesting!
-New special environmental ability bullshit thing that I don't give a gently caress what it's called: Use the royal characters to do poo poo like dry up lakes, destroy bridges, start sandstorms and other crap that fucks with the map. But be advised; enemy royals can use it against you.

-Gay-marrying Gay-Dio: M-preg not included.
-My Castle: A super fleshed-out version of Awakening's barracks. You can build crap, have your dudes run stores, outfit your soldiers with kawaii accessories, Fulton extract enemies and force them to join Animés San Frontiéres, and get invaded by other Private Forces over streetpass.
-Marriage/Buddy Seals: Change into the class of your waifu (who is poo poo).
-DLC: Some get you new classes, one is the obligatory beach DLC. There's also a DLC that gets you Anna as a playable (and bangable) unit. I cannot currently comment on the quality of the DLC.

-Questionable localization decisions: "Malig Knight."
-A bang-maid: You can make that hoor your wife. Rum Ham not included.
-Skinship with your real* little sister: Nintendo doesn't think Americans can handle all the Staff~. Americans can handle the Staff~, however Nintendo of America believes skinship is best saved for marriage.

FAQ

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, would I be able to play this one and still have fun?
Yes. But if this is the case then be sure to start with Birthright, since it's the easier campaign. Also play on normal since hard mode is actually hard.
What other FE games are good entry points into the series?
7, 8, 9, and 13. Stay away from the other ones until you've played one of those.
What are the difficulties like?
Normal is normal. Hard is pretty loving hard. Lunatic is very hard but not unfun bullshit like it has been in most previous FE games with a very hard difficulty
Do I have to gently caress my step-siblings?
No.
Can I gently caress my cousin?

cheetah7071 posted:

First cousins banging isn't even particularly weird or bad, shut up about it already.

quote:

The real reason you shouldn't marry Aqua is because she's boring as all hell.

This is probably being changed somehow for the international release. lol
Is this game good?
gently caress. Yes.
Can I post spoilers in this thread?
The character named "Iago" is a badguy. The main character's mom dies early on and this drives their motivation in the first act of the story. This is a Fire Emblem game, not The Usual Suspects, nothing you can spoil is going to be so big that it completely changes the experience of the game if you know it going in. Treat this as a spoiler thread from here on out ok?
I thought skinship, with your real* little sister or otherwise, got removed, what happened?
You can only skinship with the guy you've married in the NA release (effectively removing any mechanical benefit from it). This includes your real* little sister.
I have incredibly strong feelings about localization/skinship/butt-babies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
Is this game like XCOM?
This game is exactly like XCOM.
What's your favorite anime?
Generation Kill
Any special bullshit I gotta do to recruit guys?
For the most part no but there are a few edge cases, and those are mostly prepromotes. There are guys who will only join if you upgrade certain buildings in your castle. Ask in the thread if you want specifics.
I got Kaze an S rank but I haven't gotten a new paralogue?
This is a problem unique to Birthright. Make sure that Frank has an A rank with Kaze before you play Chapter 15.
Who is the objective best waifu?
Well my personal waifu is Rudy Reyes from Generation Kill, who is not in this game. I do not know who the best waifu in Fates is, but it sure as poo poo ain't your trash waifu.
Where can I go to discuss that FExSMT game?
You mean Tiki's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Idol Tendency?

Can you make this one stupid, unneeded and unfunny change to the OP?
I will make any change to the OP you want so long as the person who asks for it can beat me in a 1v1 deathmatch in John Romero's DAIKATANA. I extend this offer to everyone in the thread. You are NOT allowed to choose a champion to fight in your place.
Hey how do I-
If you have any further questions ask in the thread. If there's a question that people keep asking over and over again I'll add it here.

*Not actually your real little sister.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

G-Gundam should run for president.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

When I heard about the route gimmick I thought immediately of Code Geass (the first season, anyway. Did not watch too much of R2, and from what I heard I didn't miss much). As such, I was not expecting too much. As long as the character writing is decent/fun (as it usually is with these games), I can deal with it.

We had this conversation months ago. There is no table-loving in Fates.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Eaten by Tigers posted:

So what does maxing out the heart gauge on the skinshippin mini games do anyways?

In the NA release: dick. You can only skinship with the person you already have an S rank with. Instead people will randomly show up in your room, say a line and then you get the bonus that the Japanese version would have required you to play the skinship game to get.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im goig to play fire emblem

:eonwe:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I'm glad that his name is Forrest now because now I can make Forrest Gump jokes.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Dual guard happens more consistently. And if you're in attack stance then dual attack is also more consistent.

And enemies can use both pair up stances as well.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

A GBS Fire Emblem game would own.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

hey guys im going to play this game

As am I.

So what were your scores from the chart in the OP?

I got:
Birthright: 3
Conquest: 4
Huniepop: 4
DAIKATANA: 4

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope you enjoy Daikatana.

I don't think you quite comprehend the difference between being a bitch and being John Romero's bitch.

Gamerofthegame posted:

will special edition ever be a thing again

Maybe in a few years when the European release happens.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

Why are they all so blushy with lustful eyes

Parasites, son!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Mods just can't handle the Staff~. Shameful.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do Treehouses memes... end here??!

8-4 were the ones who ended memes. Here.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I feel like most of the reason man-Frank looks so lame is because the goofy I don't even know what to call it he's wearing looks less stupid on a woman. Like Awakening Frank was wearing a shirt, pants and a long-coat, it's harder to look that dumb when you're wearing something that's actually real clothing and not I don't even loving know what.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Lmao" is one of Peach's taunts.

Hey when you're done trolling us can you please make the thread title be:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Fire Emblem: Fates - Try blowing a little harder

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I'm fine with the new title. Thanks you.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah FE4 has Fates beat in terms of hosed up poo poo, it just never got an international release.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

FE4 presented all the hosed up poo poo in a negative light though

So did Taxi Driver. Doesn't make poo poo less hosed up.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Revenant Knights

A revenant being something that comes back from the dead, like the undead wyvern that Revenant Knights have as their mount. Malig Knight is possibly the most forced and tortured pun I've seen.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

what are your thoughts on the name peri

Should have been Perry.

Perry can be a girl's name right?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

they couldnt think of another i word i guess

I didn't realize this game was on the Game Boy Color.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

If Endorph isn't butt-mad about it then it's not a meme.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Hoshido has a hot ninja babe and Nohr has a hot neesan. Ni-san? Nissan? Whatever.

Hoshido also has slut mage and Nohr has axe-fighter gold-digger.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I'm afraid Yato might be a little too insane. Might make lower difficulties too easy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I don't remember The Boss having a chainsaw.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Tae posted:

Do not google Asugi

Why?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

And I thought it was gonna be some weird sex thing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Which chapter is it where I recruit Bukkake

This game limits you to one (1) waifu I'm sorry.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Level Slide posted:

But how many husbands

I don't know what that is. But probably also only one.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Even if most Americans pronounce it like that the point stands that they wouldn't be stupefied upon seeing a word that starts with "Tsu."

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

If you're only gonna put in one gay dude it might as well be Dio.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

According to Wikipedia, he was also Nabarl in the Fire Emblem OVA. And Lon'qu and Validar apparently

Worth noting Awakening came out in Japan before the Phantom Blood cartoon did.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Exaccus posted:

another localized name:

Shinonome is now Shiro (yes with an R, dont ask me why)

So it's like Kenshiro but without the Ken? _____ OF THE NORTH STAR!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

The justification for second generation units is the dumbest poo poo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah and even JP reviews complained about it a lot so odds are either the kids will actually be relevant again or they'll just be gone in the next game

im hoping for the latter tbh, kids are neat mechanically but they're always kind of awkward to write around and I'd prefer the game giving you a dozen prepromotes/actual recruits over weird gimmick children. Fates is a little better since the kids scale with your level but you still can't replace the feeling that you're just swapping out one of their parents for a better version of their parent.

Yeah. People like it in Awakening so they felt the need to shoe-horn it into this game. But they forgot that people liked it in Awakening because it made sense (atleast by FE standards) in the greater scope of the game. It probably won't be brought back for FE15.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

The thread is back, woo hoo!

Can I post that gif of me petting the anime video game character, I really like it

DO IT! loving DO IT!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

and im pretty sure walhart was the troll vote, because that's a thing westerners usually do in character popularity polls

Real troll vote would have been Yarne.

On the subject, I was really not expecting G-Gundam to be in second place.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If you want a dragon wolf original character do not steal while still being a girl you can marry whatever they renamed Flannel to

Doesn't that get you two wolf-dragons?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

It is an empirical fact that Camilla has the biggest baps. She also has the distinction of being the new Ms. New Booty. If this is what you want in a waifu then she is your best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

did they put shoving back into the game

It's a skill for the Oni.

• Locked thread