Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
ask them why they aren't either volunteering to fight in one of the numerous ongoing maoist insurgencies, or starting one of their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

Have 'em both executed for hanging out dangerously close to a library

or this. die, lefties.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Washing inside of peasant girls seems like a hassle, I'd prefer a shower.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I remember hearing an anecdote about an American expatriate in China naming their cat Chairman Meow only to be chewed out by the locals for making light of a national hero, so I was under the impression there's still at least some Mao worship going on there

Definitely nowhere else though, unless you're an LF goon

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

I remember hearing an anecdote about an American expatriate in China naming their cat Chairman Meow only to be chewed out by the locals for making light of a national hero, so I was under the impression there's still at least some Mao worship going on there

Definitely nowhere else though, unless you're an LF goon

off the top of my head there's peru, nepal, and india. those are just the places with legitimate maoist armed insurgencies going on (or in the case of nepal, where a maoist insurgency recently succeeded in overthrowing the government and taking over the country); there are also not insignificant maoist factions within armed groups in colombia, afghanistan, pakistan, lebanon and the congo.

then there's all the maoist intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals elsewhere in the world who merely espouse maoist ideals without actually killing anyone. which I guess is LF.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 13, 2016

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

hseroK divaD posted:

Wasn't Mao the one who once encouraged the population to write what was wrong with his goverment, changed his mind and executed/sent to gulags everyone who did it?
Many historians believe it was his plan all along to silence them and he encouraged them to write to know who to murder/torture/suppress.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Mao would execute these degenerates, which is probably a +1 in his column.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Zahgaegun posted:

Mao would execute these degenerates, which is probably a +1 in his column.

he would, and it is

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
paging expert witness maoist pussy to the thread

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Omg this thread

These white ppl

Lordy Lordy Lordy

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I would like to point out central contradiction in the leftist movement. Leftists want to dream big and push for what's right even if people call them utopian, and yet people on the left are some of the most cynical people around.

As Slavoj Zizek said, " we have reached the end of the end of history ", in reference to Francis Fukoyama's famous declaration that we have reached the end of the struggle of ideas and that man calling has achieved the best of all possible systems. As we see the failures and limits of liberal democratic capitalism we must now we consider the horizons and ask ourselves once again what really is possible.

The very nature of revolutionary politics is in making the impossible possible . A true revolutionary act makes the impossible necessary in retrospect, by changing the very coordinates it was once a part of it reconfigures or sense of the world but allows us to see the once impossible as a historical inevitability.

In this regard the revolutionary it is not unlike Kierkegaard man of faith, he who courageously faces the dark night of infinite resignation and is able to overcome his own nonbeing and radical uncertainty by faith

It is no coincidence that the most successful and vigorous radical emancipatory struggles in the United States or flavored with Christian spirituality.

It was the Christian ethical stance which both forced white Christians to come out and support of Dr. King and which also structured his fighting spirit and allowed Protesters freedom riders and marchers to non-violently confront all of the force and strength of the existing power structure and win.

This is not simply a mere coincidence of circumstance . The religious Element with in emancipatory movements such as the underground railroad and Dr. King's sit ins was not some vestigial cultural artifact, but a crucial element in their worldview their philosophy their ability to act in the face of resistance and their ability to overcome the endless sea of doubt that they surely faced within their own hearts as well as the hearts of the common man

I also do not find it a mere coincidence that where politically righteous leftists around the world have taken over countries and imposed anti-religious atheist ideological regimes, they seem to fall victim to their own doubt forever questioning himself in their comrades to the point where under stall in the most dangerous place to be in the Soviet Union was a member of the party Nomenklatura. They cannibalize themselves and crippled them selves and shot themselves in the foot in an effort to reach Totality without the Absolute

It is no wonder that Slavoj Zizek has written at great length on the topic of Christianity having a radical emancipatory core, it is no surprise that he agrees with GK Chesterton the Christianity is the religion for revolutionaries.

While it is absolutely true that the ruling class throughout history has used the instruments of organized religion in order to sustain their own hold on power, and it is true that even Dr. King was well aware of Marx's antipathy towards religion because of its usefulness in class oppression , it is also true that radical cynicism and hopelessness is pervasive amongst the left culminating in apathy and hedonistic self-destruction. I fear that what had started as an intellectual exercise in critiquing traditional values has become a double edge sword for the left . Does anybody really believe that your average liberal today has the character and discipline and spirit necessary to be your own master and a master of a communal society?

The struggle for progress and liberation must necessarily entail self discipline and strength and growth and I believe that it is crucial for the left to be open to the idea of spiritual growth and spiritual development. Once you abandon the idea of spirit you lose everything, which should be clear by the Hegelian underpinnings of Marxism.

I submit to you that in order for the proletariat to lose their chains they must except a spiritual submission and for this I believe Christianity offers the most effective and subversive methods for achieving victory in the face Of overwhelming odds.

With God, all things are possible, including our liberation from capitalist hegemony

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Nobody gives a poo poo, also politics are loving gay and unimportant

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kick them in the balls and loudly ask: How now, Chairman Mao?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I would like to point out central contradiction in the leftist movement. Leftists want to dream big and push for what's right even if people call them utopian, and yet people on the left are some of the most cynical people around.

As Slavoj Zizek said, " we have reached the end of the end of history ", in reference to Francis Fukoyama's famous declaration that we have reached the end of the struggle of ideas and that man calling has achieved the best of all possible systems. As we see the failures and limits of liberal democratic capitalism we must now we consider the horizons and ask ourselves once again what really is possible.

The very nature of revolutionary politics is in making the impossible possible . A true revolutionary act makes the impossible necessary in retrospect, by changing the very coordinates it was once a part of it reconfigures or sense of the world but allows us to see the once impossible as a historical inevitability.

In this regard the revolutionary it is not unlike Kierkegaard man of faith, he who courageously faces the dark night of infinite resignation and is able to overcome his own nonbeing and radical uncertainty by faith

It is no coincidence that the most successful and vigorous radical emancipatory struggles in the United States or flavored with Christian spirituality.

It was the Christian ethical stance which both forced white Christians to come out and support of Dr. King and which also structured his fighting spirit and allowed Protesters freedom riders and marchers to non-violently confront all of the force and strength of the existing power structure and win.

This is not simply a mere coincidence of circumstance . The religious Element with in emancipatory movements such as the underground railroad and Dr. King's sit ins was not some vestigial cultural artifact, but a crucial element in their worldview their philosophy their ability to act in the face of resistance and their ability to overcome the endless sea of doubt that they surely faced within their own hearts as well as the hearts of the common man

I also do not find it a mere coincidence that where politically righteous leftists around the world have taken over countries and imposed anti-religious atheist ideological regimes, they seem to fall victim to their own doubt forever questioning himself in their comrades to the point where under stall in the most dangerous place to be in the Soviet Union was a member of the party Nomenklatura. They cannibalize themselves and crippled them selves and shot themselves in the foot in an effort to reach Totality without the Absolute

It is no wonder that Slavoj Zizek has written at great length on the topic of Christianity having a radical emancipatory core, it is no surprise that he agrees with GK Chesterton the Christianity is the religion for revolutionaries.

While it is absolutely true that the ruling class throughout history has used the instruments of organized religion in order to sustain their own hold on power, and it is true that even Dr. King was well aware of Marx's antipathy towards religion because of its usefulness in class oppression , it is also true that radical cynicism and hopelessness is pervasive amongst the left culminating in apathy and hedonistic self-destruction. I fear that what had started as an intellectual exercise in critiquing traditional values has become a double edge sword for the left . Does anybody really believe that your average liberal today has the character and discipline and spirit necessary to be your own master and a master of a communal society?

The struggle for progress and liberation must necessarily entail self discipline and strength and growth and I believe that it is crucial for the left to be open to the idea of spiritual growth and spiritual development. Once you abandon the idea of spirit you lose everything, which should be clear by the Hegelian underpinnings of Marxism.

I submit to you that in order for the proletariat to lose their chains they must except a spiritual submission and for this I believe Christianity offers the most effective and subversive methods for achieving victory in the face Of overwhelming odds.

With God, all things are possible, including our liberation from capitalist hegemony

tl;dr

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

That's it, against the wall

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

holy poo poo its joel de bunchastu

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

may I suggest brutally eradicating all leftists from the face of the earth

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

spud posted:

Kick them in the balls and loudly ask: How now, Chairman Mao?

the people are the heroes now behemoth pulls the peasants' plough :mad:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Leftism in America would work if commies weren't all atheist.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Leftism in America would work if commies weren't all atheist.

expanding on this, marx's insistence that religion was "the sigh of the oppressed creature" and mao and stalin's inheritance of this idea was what ultimately doomed communism. it aligned religious groups in the west, who had previously politically focused on social justice, with anti-communist big business interests and created the "religious right" as we know it today. it is hard to overstate the magnitude of this tactical error.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Also because it doesn't work.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

expanding on this, marx's insistence that religion was "the sigh of the oppressed creature" and mao and stalin's inheritance of this idea was what ultimately doomed communism. it aligned religious groups in the west, who had previously politically focused on social justice, with anti-communist big business interests and created the "religious right" as we know it today. it is hard to overstate the magnitude of this tactical error.

uh, maybe you're partly right, but just off the top of my head I can think of at least a few examples (abolition/reconstruction, women's suffrage, prohibition, opposition to education) of religious fundamentalists in america being vehemently opposed to the advancement of civil rights well before the red scare. I mean Tennessee v Scopes was in 1925, and the type of legislation on which its charges were based date well before then, so surely you wouldn't attribute that to communism.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 13, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

uh, maybe you're partly right, but just off the top of my head I can think of at least a few examples (abolition/reconstruction, women's suffrage, prohibition, opposition to education) of religious fundamentalists in america being vehemently opposed to the advancement of civil rights well before the red scare. I mean Tennessee v Scopes was in 1925, and the type of legislation on which its charges were based date well before then, so surely you wouldn't attribute that to communism.

Pretty sure religious nutjobs were at the forefront of abolition, women's sufferage, and prohibition

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

Pretty sure religious nutjobs were at the forefront of abolition, women's sufferage, and prohibition

there were some people (John Brown comes to mind) who were fervently invested in abolition and believed it was the lord's work, but I can think of just as many examples of religious arguments against it, including pseudo-theology like saying that black skin was the mark of cain, or rightly pointing out that the Bible explicitly condones slavery. then you had groups like the KKK and lesser-known contemporary organisations that were explicitly anti-abolition and steeped in religion.

women's suffrage, uh, I don't know that much about to be honest. I don't know a lot about the people involved with the suffragette movement, maybe they were religiously inspired, but was not "the Bible says women are supposed to be the property of their husbands" literally one of the most popular arguments against it?

as for prohibition, can you give me some examples? I really can't imagine a religious argument in favour of repealing prohibition. "Jesus drank wine", maybe?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think you should read some more history about Christianity in America. Abolitionists WERE fundamentalists and were treated as religious zealots by their contemporaries. Religious justification for opposition to slavery was much more common than religious support of slavery which tended to be secular. Universal education too was a Protestant cause and spearheaded by missionaries. As was the temperance movement.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

The Kingfish posted:

I think you should read some more history about Christianity in America. Abolitionists WERE fundamentalists and were treated as religious zealots by their contemporaries. Religious justification for opposition to slavery was much more common than religious support of slavery which tended to be secular. Universal education too was a Protestant cause and spearheaded by missionaries. As was the temperance movement.

so we agree prohibition was a religious thing. they were also the only (to my knowledge) source of opposition to education in the... well I was going to say twentieth century, but I can't think of a time when there's ever been significant opposition to education from any secular perspective.

it wasn't a new thing in the 1900's, either. before darwin even died, once he had become infirm and was no longer able to defend himself in public there were evangelists slandering him openly, pretending he had rescinded his work on biology.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
That's a gulagin'

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

not saying that they were progressive in all instances, but the organized religious right as a bloc began to turn out in the post-communist era. the john bitch society is an early example of this; they very consciously named themselves after a religious man killed by communists (not saying he was necessarily killed FOR being religious: he wasn't, but perception is key) in order to motivate the religious groups with fear of communist extermination.

also, remember that marx was writing in the 19th century and the first red scares in the USA were late 19th century/early 20th (the Haymarket affair was 1886) so it's not like communism was invented in 1950 by Stalin. marx's hostility towards religion was a defining trait of communism even before the bolshevik revolution and helped ensure that the religious movement for worker justice would never be able to unite in solidarity with non-religious labor.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

There was plenty of secular opposition to universal education.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

And free soil republicans were getting red baited as early as the 1850s. Communism didn't start with Karl Marx.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

also, remember that marx was writing in the 19th century and the first red scares in the USA were late 19th century/early 20th (the Haymarket affair was 1886) so it's not like communism was invented in 1950 by Stalin. marx's hostility towards religion was a defining trait of communism even before the bolshevik revolution and helped ensure that the religious movement for worker justice would never be able to unite in solidarity with non-religious labor.

I didn't know that. I was primarily associating it with the Bolsheviks.

The Kingfish posted:

There was plenty of secular opposition to universal education.

right, but those were people who were opposed to universal education. who else has ever been opposed to education in general?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I thought mao worship was a remnant and most people, even (or especially) in China, knew the man was awful. Guess I was wrong.

Hell most political posters on this forum probably love him :ussr:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

hseroK divaD posted:

Wasn't Mao the one who once encouraged the population to write what was wrong with his goverment, changed his mind and executed/sent to gulags everyone who did it?

That's my management approach. Had a strategic planning session once, the most vocal troublemaker was fired midway through the day and no one ever saw them again. Think they know better than to speak up now.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Guns have also been used for oppression and counter-revolutionary movements does that means that weapons have no place in revolutionary movements ?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

This can't be real. I thought all these threads I've been reading for years were exaggeration.

obviously they were actors sent down to make the occupy protesters look like idiot gaytrans communists

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Guns have also been used for oppression and counter-revolutionary movements does that means that weapons have no place in revolutionary movements ?

I didn't say that they don't, nor did I say that religion doesn't, I just suggested that religion was aligned with anti-progress movements well ahead of the rise of communism.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the weirdest part about the whole thing was the way they singled out the Cultural Revolution for praise, making all these claims about maoist education uplifting the peasants and poo poo. i tried to point out that the CR was terrible for teachers and China still doesn't produce much original research or anything because of the longlasting effects of the horrible shortcomings of the ideological educational system they imposed on people

there's just a ton of irony in a bunch of white dudes on a university campus calling for immediate educational reform that precludes any kind of free or contradictory thought. plus one of them wore glasses which would've been pretty bad for them in most maoist contexts

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Mao was an ignorant and smelly unwashed pedophile and his success gives many losers hope

thanks ~Salmiakki~

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
got in an argument with some moists outside the library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

ASSASSINS! posted:

all communists should literally be murdered in 2016

there are communists in 2016?

• Locked thread