Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
FLAME vs. CHARGE

Spyro the Dragon, arguably one of the most iconic Platformers of all time has been a rich source material for LP'ers, Speedrunners, and Game-Breakers, for it's basic plot, colourful environment, and simple game mechanics. Most notably, it is a game that rewards exploration, both intended and unintended. In-bounds and out-of. JustAFriend's Let's Play, SSBOOM's Speedrunning, and RJWaters' No-Gliding Challenge all spring to mind of great examples of this game being played.

What makes my LP of this game any different from the hundreds of others? Well, I'm not doing a Speedrun, a Walkthrough, or a Casual LP. I'm doing a Challenge Run. A type of challenge that I define as X vs. Y .
Spyro has two major abilities in the original trilogy: Flame and Charge.

But which is more valuable to Spyro, his ability to Breathe Fire, or ability to Charge through danger. To the left, we have Easier Boss Battles and Speedways, and to the right, we have Destructable Metal Boxes, and Easier-To-Catch Blue Thieves.
This challenge will be measured by how much % completion can be made in Spyro the Dragon using only one or the other; just charge or just flame. Therefore, a draw is possible.

The recording for this LP is completed, but not all of the episodes are uploaded yet, with a new one released every 10-14 days.
So place your bets on which ability you think Spyro needs more!

This Challenge Run takes place only in the first Spyro the Dragon game. I currently have plans to eventually trial this challenge for the rest of the trilogy, although, with Spyro gaining new abilities in the other games, it may be far less challenging than it was in the first game and not worth doing.

LIVE EPISODES
Our Adventure Begins
My Blue Robed Nemesis
The Square in the Town
Into the Night
The Driest of All Canyons
The Battle of Red Cliffs
The Spyro Pro Club
A Burning Guilt
Alpine Ridge does not contain a Lap Dance
Exploring the High Caves
That Wizard is Peak
Blowing is Hard
Misty Boo!G

NEXT EPISODE
??? - 26th March

Manic X fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So what race is Alladin? And what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Niggurath posted:

So what race is Alladin? And what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Oh my not sure what happened to the links, they were working when I previewed the post. They are fixed now.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Hey there, I'm not Totally sure since i dont spend much time in the forum, but i believe you broke rule 2 for posting LPs

"No YouTube dumps, no reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already finished elsewhere. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around."

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Rrussom posted:

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

I recorded this LP with this thread in mind. Whilst recording is complete, I have not "post[ed] it all at once," I have just posted enough content for the start-up of the challenge.

My plan was to get around 10 episodes up and ready, and then release a new episode every week-two weeks. There is also the opportunity for people to point out if there are ways to get more done in the challenge as I still have all the files available to put their ideas into practice. If anything I want people to discuss ways that they would overcome elements of this challenge.

EDIT: Ok I have taken onboard some advice from the Sandcastle Thread. I was a little over-zealous posting 10 episodes in one go. So I have knocked it down to three, and I'll add links to future episodes every few days.

Manic X fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 13, 2016

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

You have my permission to move ahead with the thread

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

NEWEST EPISODE
Re-edited and uploaded, Episode 4 of the Challenge Run:

Into the Night

One challenge will visit the ominous Dark Hollow, whilst the other enters a new era of Peacemakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

NEWEST EPISODE
Episode 5 of the Challenge Run:

The Driest of All Canyons

The first challenge confronts the infamous Toasty in a baa-ttle for the ages.

Both challenges try and conquer The [GRAND] Dry Canyon.

Next Episode - Next Week

• Locked thread