Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notax
May 14, 2014

Okay, so I went into EB Games (commonly known as GameStop) to pick up a controller for some intense hardcore Narutard action. I picked up the only device in the place with a dual analog controller, an iOS enabled device which doesn't support Windows. So, in an effort to challenge this iOS device's lack of compatibility, I've been busy trying to get this obviously non supported device to work with Windows to throw down with Shukaku and Gaara instead of running point on iOS for CJ in San Andreas. Essentially, I only have to buy 1 controller, not 2.

Windows is able to address the device on a COM channel, and creates a serial bus address, and has some kind of limited scope functionality for it. However, despite being addressable and pairable to the bluetooth manager in Windows, the Steelseries Engine fails to recognize the presence of the device. I was considering using PdaNet bluetooth to try and use my iOS device as some kind of modem in an effort to allow the already written functions of iOS to work with Windows, but I'm really not confident that I can do that unless I can get some kind of Device Manager API inside of the iOS device. Will it be easier to tackle this situation from Windows or Apple? Is there a dongle adapter that will provision Maverick translations on Windows?

Moreover, why do manufacturers like this make exclusively oriented devices at all? I don't want to bust my balls just to get a good product to work in places it should already. Who decided I needed to spend twice as much to have more clutter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Unless you're comfortable writing an entirely separate driver/compatibility layer i doubt you're going to have much luck with this. if you can return the item you probably should, because it's never going to do what you want it to do

iirc that controller or something in that range was developed in conjunction with apple to show off their iPhone controller support, i.e. specifically for mobile use. they probably didn't see the point in investing the software engineering resources to write a driver and application support for a totally unmarketed use case, especially for an item that isn't really that high-volume anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 13, 2016

Notax
May 14, 2014

Sadly, my experience is limited to hardware and software packages. My computer science teacher refused to allow me to see program language and instead forced me to take a support technician role, crippling my ability to remain effective or competitive in the industry, or develop awesome projects like this. Perhaps some day the holders of knowledge will stop hoarding it and allow me to produce useful results or resolve incidents as this.

e. The job market for Hard!Where?!?! is really bad and they teach unspeakable things that control this place in astonishing ways.

MAXIMUM ROOTKIT LEVEL!!!

Notax fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 15, 2016

• Locked thread