Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if your program is infected with it, then it is impossible to free it of it without rewriting it from scratch

stallman? more like chairman hitler-mao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
#include gpl.c

start:

for I = 1 to 50
print.l "this program is free"
next

end;

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know why that won't compile?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah it's why numpy uses FFTPACK instead of fftw3 (see my graphs thread for the same information)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
so is proprietary software

like if you use proprietary code then you have to pay royalties and people who make derivatives of ur code have to as well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but the gpl costs no dollars as such so it fools you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the gpl v3 is not very good

almost every single person who writes a single line of code in any language owes quite a bit to gpl v2

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

never use the gpl

use either the bsd or mit licence. whichever one of those it is that makes stallman the angriest

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GPL as trialware enforcement
http://libre.adacore.com/comparisonchart/

I don't quite get how they managed to do this. The really dickish thing is that it's not just the compiler that they release under two different licences, it's the runtime as well. (Apparently the GCC version has a runtime linked exception but idk how legit that is, it seems like adacore would have to have all the rights to release the non GPL version anyway).

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no one cares fatty

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-faq.html

quote:

Developing nonfree software is not good for society, and we have no obligation to make it easier.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i wish stallman was dead

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jony ive aces posted:

so is proprietary software

like if you use proprietary code then you have to pay royalties and people who make derivatives of ur code have to as well

At least with propriety stuff you normally can pay someone to do so, GPL makes it really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i usually use the mit license op

• Locked thread