Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, I feel bad for his family and loved ones but at the same time I just can't feel very sad. I guess that makes me a lovely person but oh well.

I actually grew up near some of his family and have known them since I was real young, and I'm still breaking out the champagne. gently caress Scalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hope Trollbama takes over and just nominates complete joke candidates. Supreme Court Justice Nominee, Jon Stewart

I always thought Rosie O'Donnell would be great on the bench...... :)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I think the next few months are going to do more to bury the idea of an aloof, apolitical Court than Bush v. Gore.

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, I feel bad for his family and loved ones but at the same time I just can't feel very sad. I guess that makes me a lovely person but oh well.

Nothing wrong with feeling relief that someone's death has alleviated suffering. It just wasn't him that was suffering.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If it's any solace terrible lovely people also usually have terrible lovely families and friends.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Abu Dave posted:

Wow "“I don’t think,” Mr. Scalia said, “it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible.” "

HOw was he not removed instantly for saying something like that

it's an appointment for life

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Just imagine if another conservative justice keeled over in the near future. The liberals would have a 4-3 majority on the court and the obstructionist senate couldn't do jack poo poo about it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think we're about to find out.

We sure are:

quote:

WASHINGTON, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday that the next U.S. president should be the one to nominate a justice to fill the vacancy left on the Supreme Court by the death of Antonin Scalia.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," McConnell said in a statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/13/reuters-america-us-senate-leader-mcconnell-says-wait-on-replacing-scalia.html

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Just imagine if another conservative justice keeled over in the near future. The liberals would have a 4-3 majority on the court and the obstructionist senate couldn't do jack poo poo about it.

Honestly, with Scalia dead the justice most likely to suddenly die of natural causes is Ginsberg. Though I suppose Thomas might have a bad ticker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm really hoping he left something he considered important unfinished so that his last moments were filled with all-consuming regret.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I am happy. It should be wrong to feel so great about someone's death but I can't help it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I am not celebrating his death. To his family, I'm sure it's a painful loss.

I am celebrating that he's out of the SCOTUS. I'd be celebrating just as much if he'd up and retired.

I gotta say though, gently caress that guy. I hope in his last moments he realized how many people he hurt.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

Nothing wrong with feeling relief that someone's death has alleviated suffering. It just wasn't him that was suffering.

drat, well said, I will be paraphrasing this at various cocktail parties and whatnot

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jastiger approves of this death. It sucks he dies but getting him off the bench is just too goddam important.

Sorry, I can't be as gracious.

Scalia was a terrible justice and has contributed to a lot of harm in not only his rulings but also on his cultural influence as well. It sucks that he died and I wish this wasn't the way he left the bench, but it doesn't suck that he's no longer a Justice. The Judicial branch, and America by proxy, has become more healthy with his departure.

Let's get a more level headed justice in there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

To everybody celebrating his death:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FAUXTON posted:

I'm really hoping he left something he considered important unfinished so that his last moments were filled with all-consuming regret.

His last thoughts were of all the minorities he had yet to destroy, and he cried out in despair.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

E-Tank posted:

I am not celebrating his death. To his family, I'm sure it's a painful loss.

I am celebrating that he's out of the SCOTUS. I'd be celebrating just as much if he'd up and retired.

I gotta say though, gently caress that guy. I hope in his last moments he realized how many people he hurt.
I get the impression that he always realized and enjoyed every minute.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh that fucker

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/Johngcole/status/698644822857363456

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Tonight's agenda: Cackling and dancing on this motherfucker's grave.

I hope he had enough time before he died to realize that Obama was going to get to name his successor. Good riddance you sack of poo poo.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The ultimate Trollbama move would be to resign and have President Joe Biden appoint Barack Obama to the Supreme Court while Congress is in recess.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Scalia's wife spends her time screaming outside of Planned Parenthood clinics at the women using them so gently caress her.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
https://twitter.com/MicheleBachmann/status/698642572575518720

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiJ0OS9LwU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

squidgee posted:

We sure are:

WASHINGTON, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday that the next U.S. president should be the one to nominate a justice to fill the vacancy left on the Supreme Court by the death of Antonin Scalia.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," McConnell said in a statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/13/reuters-america-us-senate-leader-mcconnell-says-wait-on-replacing-scalia.html

What a gently caress. The entire point of appointing justices is that they are somewhat insulated from popular opinion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I agree, reading a scalia dissent was like hearing michele bachmann read a shakesperean sonnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_q4DakaujA

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

OhFunny posted:

The ultimate Trollbama move would be to resign and have President Joe Biden appoint Barack Obama to the Supreme Court while Congress is in recess.

I think Uncle Joe has earned a few months of being the President

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The American people have spoken. Presidencies last 4 years you frog looking gently caress Mitch

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In 2002, in Atkins v. Virginia, the Court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional as applied to the mentally retarded. Scalia dissented, stating that it would not have been considered cruel or unusual to execute the mildly mentally retarded at the time of the 1791 adoption of the Bill of Rights, and that the Court had failed to show that a national consensus had formed against the practice.[97]

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

"Republicans right now" posted:

"Justice Scalia was a diehard champion for the US Constituion. We should honor is legacy right now by ignoring it and not allowing the President to nominate his replacement."

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Emergency recess appointment of Vermin Supreme to the Supreme Court

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Scalia strongly disfavored the Court's ruling in Miranda v. Arizona, which held that a confession by an arrested suspect who had not been advised of his rights was inadmissible in court, and voted to overrule Miranda in the 2000 case of Dickerson v. United States, but was in a minority of two with Justice Clarence Thomas. Calling the Miranda decision a "milestone of judicial overreaching", Scalia stated that the Court should not fear to correct its mistakes.[98]

I hope the court cites this dissent when overturning Citizens United.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I don't agree with his political opinions, but the dude did have a way with words. Also, didn't he take The Notorious hunting once?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crystal Geometry posted:

Emergency recess appointment of Vermin Supreme to the Supreme Court

change i could fuckin believe in

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/698649076691173376?lang=en

Bernie carefully words his tweet to show that Scalia's family will mourn his passing but Bernie himself won't.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dik Hz posted:

I don't agree with his political opinions, but the dude did have a way with words.

Yeah, and Ted Bundy had a way with women.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MicheleBachmann/status/698637851894743040

e:

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/698650293857357824

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

he failed to stop gay marriage

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, and Ted Bundy had a way with women.
Why yes, using 19th century slang in your court opinions is literally the same as killing women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

blue squares posted:

I am happier about this death than I think I ever have been about a death.

• Locked thread