Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dik Hz posted:

Why yes, using 19th century slang in your court opinions is literally the same as killing women.

How about killing and eating "unlawful combatants?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dik Hz posted:

Why yes, using 19th century slang in your court opinions is literally the same as killing women.

I wonder which caused more suffering.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wonder which caused more suffering.

the dead can't suffer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/698649076691173376?lang=en

Bernie carefully words his tweet to show that Scalia's family will mourn his passing but Bernie himself won't.

Now that's poetry. :golfclap:

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
With Scalia dead, how will Thomas know how to vote?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Deadpool comes out, Scalia kicks it that weekend. Coincidence?

...well, yes, actually.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Holy shuttlecocks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pomp posted:

he failed to stop gay marriage

No, I mean something small in his personal life like not seeing an upcoming grandchild or leaving a stew on the stove.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
will he come back alive?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Having just recently lost my grandmother, I sympathize for his family and his loved ones. Losing someone close to you is very hard.

That said, his death makes America a better place in a very tangle way

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The GOP stonewalling a SCOTUS nominee for the next 9 months is a huge gift to the Democrats to completely bash them all the way to the election. There's no healthcare.gov meltdown to save them. If the GOP willingly fucks around with the SCOTUS this openly then the Dems only have themselves to blame if they can't turn it against GOP in the election.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

FAUXTON posted:

I'm really hoping he left something he considered important unfinished so that his last moments were filled with all-consuming regret.

Other than the waffles?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pomp posted:

it's an appointment for life

quote:

The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

You can argue on a constitutional basis that he no longer possessed good behavior, but its a stretch, so its what Scalia would have wanted

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
More horrible Scalia opinions please, vyelkin. I want to read an avalanche of evil.

:smithicide:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

RIP to Mark Pringle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

More horrible Scalia opinions please, vyelkin. I want to read an avalanche of evil.

:smithicide:

Open the blood gates :kheldragar:

Scalia generally voted to strike down laws which make distinctions by race, gender, or sexual orientation. In 1989, he concurred with the Court's judgment in City of Richmond v. J.A. Croson Co., in which the Court applied strict scrutiny to a city program requiring a certain percentage of contracts to go to minorities, and struck down the program. Scalia did not join the majority opinion, however. He disagreed with O'Connor's opinion, for the Court, that states and localities could institute race-based programs, if they identified past discrimination, and if the program was designed to remedy the past racism.[84] Five years later, in Adarand Constructors, Inc. v. Peña he concurred in the Court's judgment and in part with the opinion which extended strict scrutiny to federal programs. Scalia noted in that matter his view that government can never have a compelling interest in making up for past discrimination by racial preferences,

quote:

To pursue the concept of racial entitlement—even for the most admirable and benign of purposes—is to reinforce and preserve for future mischief the way of thinking that produced race slavery, race privilege and race hatred. In the eyes of government, we are just one race here. It is American.[85]

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/698659911400448001

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP stonewalling a SCOTUS nominee for the next 9 months is a huge gift to the Democrats to completely bash them all the way to the election. There's no healthcare.gov meltdown to save them. If the GOP willingly fucks around with the SCOTUS this openly then the Dems only have themselves to blame if they can't turn it against GOP in the election.

are you presuming basic competence on the part of the democratic party

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

You can argue on a constitutional basis that he no longer possessed good behavior, but its a stretch, so its what Scalia would have wanted

Good behavior means that he isn't committing impeachable offenses.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In one of the final decisions of the Burger Court, the Court ruled in 1986 in Bowers v. Hardwick that homosexual sodomy was not protected by the right of privacy and could be criminally prosecuted by the states.[89] In 1995, however, that ruling was effectively gutted by Romer v. Evans, which struck down a Colorado state constitutional amendment, passed by popular vote, which forbade anti-discrimination laws being extended to sexual orientation.[90] Scalia dissented from the opinion by Justice Kennedy, believing that Bowers had protected the right of the states to pass such measures, and that the Colorado amendment was not discriminatory, but merely prevented homosexuals from gaining favored status under Colorado law.[91] Scalia later said of Romer, "And the Supreme Court said, 'Yes, it is unconstitutional.' On the basis of—I don't know, the Sexual Preference Clause of the Bill of Rights, presumably. And the liberals loved it, and the conservatives gnashed their teeth."[92]

In 2003, Bowers was formally reversed by Lawrence v. Texas, from which Scalia dissented. According to Mark V. Tushnet in his survey of the Rehnquist Court, during the oral argument in the case, Scalia seemed so intent on making the state's argument for it that the Chief Justice intervened: "Maybe we should go through counsel."[93] According to his biographer, Joan Biskupic, Scalia "ridiculed" the majority in his dissent for being so ready to cast aside Bowers when many of the same justices had refused to overturn Roe in Planned Parenthood v. Casey.[94]

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
“The death penalty? Give me a break. It’s easy. Abortion? Absolutely easy. Nobody ever thought the Constitution prevented restrictions on abortion. Homosexual sodomy? Come on. For 200 years, it was criminal in every state.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Scalia believed that the death penalty is constitutional.[95] He dissents in decisions that hold the death penalty unconstitutional as applied to certain groups, such as those who were under the age of 18 at the time of offense. In Thompson v. Oklahoma (1988), he dissented from the Court's ruling that the death penalty could not be applied to those aged 15 at the time of the offense, and the following year authored the Court's opinion in Stanford v. Kentucky sustaining the death penalty for those who killed at age 16. However, in 2005, the Court overturned Stanford in Roper v. Simmons and Scalia again dissented, mocking the majority's claims that a national consensus had emerged against the execution of those who killed while under age, and noted that less than half of the states that permitted the death penalty prohibited it for underage killers. He castigated the majority for including in their count states that had abolished the death penalty entirely, stating that doing so was "rather like including old-order Amishmen in a consumer-preference poll on the electric car. Of course they don't like it, but that sheds no light whatever on the point at issue."[96]

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Was wondering what they would say about this. Perfect.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Tasteful Bulge posted:

With Scalia dead, how will Thomas know how to vote?

By voting for his well defined, if loving weird and terrible, judicial philosophy that he has never strayed from even when it resulted in liberal outcomes. Scalia was the hack that just started voting straight GOP party line.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Not an empty quote

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

UberJew posted:

are you presuming basic competence on the part of the democratic party

No, but as today is a day of miracles please just let me dream. :(

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In March 2006, Scalia gave a talk at the University of Fribourg, in Switzerland, where he was asked about detainee rights. He responded, "Give me a break ... I had a son on that battlefield and they were shooting at my son, and I'm not about to give this man who was captured in a war a full jury trial. I mean it's crazy."[66]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

vyelkin posted:

In 2003, Bowers was formally reversed by Lawrence v. Texas, from which Scalia dissented. According to Mark V. Tushnet in his survey of the Rehnquist Court, during the oral argument in the case, Scalia seemed so intent on making the state's argument for it that the Chief Justice intervened: "Maybe we should go through counsel."[93] According to his biographer, Joan Biskupic, Scalia "ridiculed" the majority in his dissent for being so ready to cast aside Bowers when many of the same justices had refused to overturn Roe in Planned Parenthood v. Casey.[94]

hence SCOTUS Thread 2015: Justice Scalia attempted to respond on petitioners behalf

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
When I read the headline I burst into tears. It's finally over. Antonin Scalia is finally dead. Can we drive a stake through his heart? Just to be sure?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The quails found his phylactery it seems

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

...inasmuch as Bachmann has read neither.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
re: that famous fake quote, Scalia later actually wrote something similar in a dissent:

http://www.businessinsider.com/antonin-scalia-says-executing-the-innocent-is-constitutional-2014-9

quote:

"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent," Scalia wrote in a 2009 dissent of the Court's order for a federal trial court in Georgia to consider the case of death row inmate Troy Davis. "Quite to the contrary, we have repeatedly left that question unresolved, while expressing considerable doubt that any claim based on alleged 'actual innocence' is constitutionally cognizable."

Which may be technically correct if you don't mind being technically Hitler.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The Republican obstruction will break when John Roberts calls for the confirmation of Obama's pick. Roberts respects the non-political nature of the court too much to allow that poo poo to fly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
scalia's death confirmed to be just so much applesauce

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

scalia's death confirmed to be just so much applesauce

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Clarence Thomas is trending on Twitter because conservatives keep repeating "Clarence Thomas is trending on Twitter because liberals are big poopy heads who joked about wishing he was next to die!" That's seriously like 75% of the tweets about Clarence Thomas right now.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

I doubt Roberts would say anything one way or the other on the confirmation process because he wants to avoid embroiling himself and the court in political matters.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Chief Justice Roberts?

Oh, do you mean Chief Justice OBAMACARE? Surely, he'll convince conservatives about the nonpartisan nature of the court.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

biznatchio posted:

I doubt Roberts would say anything one way or the other on the confirmation process because he wants to avoid embroiling himself and the court in political matters.

Agree. He'll stay out of it and he probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
This is a better day for politics then the current election. gently caress that man for sticking his beliefs into the rule of law. I can only give this thread one :five: for the announcement and it beats hearing about Thatcher or Regan passing.

• Locked thread