Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That implies Roberts is willing to stick his dick into politics in the first place to tell Congress to be politically neutral though.

Not to mention he's a falling star among the Reps who's lost his status as True ConservativeTM thanks to refusing to vote for overturning Obamacare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Barack Obama should nominate Michelle Obama to the Supreme Court.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sydin posted:

That implies Roberts is willing to stick his dick into politics in the first place to tell Congress to be politically neutral though.

Not to mention he's a falling star among the Reps who's lost his status as True ConservativeTM thanks to refusing to vote for overturning Obamacare.

He's Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, he can tell them to suck his dick.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tasteful Bulge posted:

With Scalia dead, how will Thomas know how to vote?

This keeps coming up and is bullshit. Thomas is a significantly more principled and insane jurist than Scalia has ever been, never mind post-Lawrence Angry Scalia.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2016

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cortgatliff/status/698664721373929472

this would be amazing

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Just a nerdy observation:

CNN ran a flowery memorial package a little while ago. All the footage of people saying Good Things about Scalia was on 4:3 pillarboxed video tape. So that's how far back they had to go for that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Clarence Thomas is more conservative than Scalia.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Keep an eye on the White House chimney.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hollismason posted:

HW trolled the gently caress out of D's by appointing Thomas. There can only be one black guy on SCOTUS.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 14, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

I agree, but not in the "aligns entirely with modern GOP" sense. He considers the Commerce Clause and stare decisis to be bullshit. I love his opinions and will probably never agree with a single one.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think I'm almost happier about Scalia dying than Bin Laden.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Just a nerdy observation:

CNN ran a flowery memorial package a little while ago. All the footage of people saying Good Things about Scalia was on 4:3 pillarboxed video tape. So that's how far back they had to go for that.

Now they're running a Piers Morgan interview with him talking about the death penalty and torture. Piers Morgan may be a pill, but compared with Scalia he's positively charming.

"Torture isn't cruel and unusual punishment because since they haven't been convicted of a crime yet, it's not a punishment per se."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Voyager I posted:

I think I'm almost happier about Scalia dying than Bin Laden.

bin ladin hurt way fewer people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In an upset announcement, Obama nominates Ben Carson to the Supreme Court.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
It will be funny when the senate rejects Posner

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Sleepytime Ben and the Case of the Doggone Constitution

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

In an upset announcement, Obama nominates Ben Carson to the Supreme Court.
Unfortunately Carson slept through the phone call and the offer is now rescinded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Today President Barack Obama nominated Donald Trump to the Supreme Court. When asked for his reasoning the President responded: "gently caress all y'all." The President then proceeded to flip the assembled reporters the middle finger and then cartwheeled offstage."

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This keeps coming up and is bullshit.

Did people's sense of humor die with Scalia?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm going to try and reflect on the man's life rather than celebrate his death:

Antonin Scalia was a male biped. He breathed the same air as the rest of us, except when at the country club.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
"It's me! Supreme Court Justice Obama"

Edit - "I'd like to thank the GOP for cooperating in holding the appointment until my term as President is over. Amazing things happen when we work together"

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Didn't even live to see TLOP released. A fitting end.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mr Jaunts posted:

Now they're running a Piers Morgan interview with him talking about the death penalty and torture. Piers Morgan may be a pill, but compared with Scalia he's positively charming.

"Torture isn't cruel and unusual punishment because since they haven't been convicted of a crime yet, it's not a punishment per se."

Yeah, that's an amazing quote. Or paraphrase I hope. The government torturing confessions out of people? Nothing wrong with that!

I used to say I didn't wish Scalia dead necessarily, just that I wouldn't want anything done to him he'd think was unconstitutional. Moot point now. :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Obama resigns, President Biden's first act second act is to appoint Obama to the SC.

*First act is to do donuts on the WH lawn

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

OAquinas posted:

Obama resigns, President Biden's first act second act is to appoint Obama to the SC.

*First act is to do donuts on the WH lawn

Actually, I think he could appoint himself.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

spoon0042 posted:

Yeah, that's an amazing quote. Or paraphrase I hope. The government torturing confessions out of people? Nothing wrong with that!

I used to say I didn't wish Scalia dead necessarily, just that I wouldn't want anything done to him he'd think was unconstitutional. Moot point now. :v:

Yeah, I was paraphrasing, but that's the core of his argument. Because people weren't actually being sentenced to be tortured as punishment for a crime, the restriction on 'cruel and unusual punishment' doesn't apply.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

... images of cars pulling up, a rager starting up in the rose garden...

and they're not invited.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

squidgee posted:

We sure are:

quote:

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Saturday that the next U.S. president should be the one to nominate a justice to fill the vacancy left on the Supreme Court by the death of Antonin Scalia.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," McConnell said in a statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/13/reuters-america-us-senate-leader-mcconnell-says-wait-on-replacing-scalia.html

gently caress it, Dems should double down on this.

"We are agreed, the American population gets a voice in the next Justice. No matter who the next President nominates, you and the other Senators agree to confirm the nomination as 'the will of the people.' NO MATTER WHAT."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Actually, I think he could appoint himself.

But this way you exploit the loophole. "Sure, the 45th president absolutely should be the one to select."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pixelboy posted:

... images of cars pulling up, a rager starting up in the rose garden...

and they're not invited.

time for goons to order pizza to goodwin liu's house

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
From the Canadian equivalent of The Onion:

Scalia declared dead in most popular ruling of his career

quote:

CIBOLO CREEK RANCH, TX – U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was ruled dead by officials in west Texas this weekend, in what experts and colleagues agree is unquestionably the most popular verdict of the 79 year-old’s career.

“From his almost irrational disdain for same-sex marriage, to his barely concealed contempt for women’s reproductive rights, to his callous disregard for black lives, we didn’t agree on much,” admitted fellow Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsberg, “But Justice Scalia has my complete and unequivocal support in his decision to block his own right to continue living.”

Scalia was found lying unconscious in his hotel room at a 5-star hunting resort northwest of El Paso. His eldest son, Eugene, called it a fitting end to his life and legal legacy.

“We take tremendous consolation in knowing that Dad died as he lived,” he said in a statement. “Enjoying tremendous luxury at the expense of minorities and the working poor.”

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is there a live feed youtube channel for white house announcements?

edit: SA is not google. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XckfQq3CUjY

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Can B-Rock nominate himself? He would make a great justice.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Can B-Rock nominate himself? He would make a great justice.

no. he's a member of the executive branch

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
He could resign and have Joe nominate him :v:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/David_Boreanaz/status/698678576929861632

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
As much as I despise Scalia it's pretty neat that he and RBG were able to become close friends despite their polar opposite ideologies.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Obama could give so many people aneurysms if he did a recess appointment of Hillary Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr Jaunts posted:

He could resign and have Joe nominate him :v:

Just as good.

Abel Wingnut posted:

no. he's a member of the executive branch