Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
His death is probably gonna save public unions, too.

I'm assuming it'll be a 4-4 tie now, with the lower court ruling being in favor of people forced into paying dues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can the Senate really block Obama's appointee to the point where it becomes irrelevant due to the next elections?

They can run out the clock, yes.

The spokesman for the head of Senate Judiciary already said there's a "less than zero percent chance" that Obama nominates his replacement.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Joe Biden has come out against nominating a Supreme Court Justice in an election year, urges Obama to follow "historical precedent:"

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4581754/biden-senate-hearings-scotus-vacancy-election-year

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

uh why is anyone assuming arkane is being honest, it's a clip from the end of june 1992

oh dear god, the callous dishonesty of posting snark!

regardless, it is funny the fake outrage that is being bandied about when the exact same thing would happen/has happened if the parties were switched.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Democrats have never outright rejected even the possibility of having nominations out of hand.

In the video, Biden says that the Senate committee should not even consider anyone nominated until after the election is over.

which is practically the same as the current meme from the GOP side that Obama shouldn't bother nominating anyone

and weasel, I didn't argue it was right. I was arguing against partisans treating two similar situations completely differently depending on who was in power. whether Its Biden in 92 or, to a lesser extent, Reid/Obama in 07/08, both parties are obnoxiously partisan, and seemingly at their worst when it comes to judicial nominations.

• Locked thread