Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
where were you when you heard Scalia was dead?

I was pooping, which seems incredibly appropriate, in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

So, uh, I guess we have a constitutional crisis now?

nah, we've had long stretches of the court not being at full length before. First few Nixon nominees, last of Reagan's stint off the top of my head

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dazzling Addar posted:

if i could have one scalia related wish, it would be that his most enduring legacy would become the time that he used popular tv show man jack bauer to justify torture as a legal practice

mine would be for Thomas to continue his tradition of doing exactly what Scalia does one last time

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Scalia had Dick Cheney as his 'hunting' partner, where hunting involved walking around to birds with clipped wings and shooting attorneys.

Yes, but the man had some bad points as well

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I'm white and male and not poor, he'd have loved me.

depends, what is your opinion on walking?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

How long until this is quoted back in him on the floor of the Senate?

Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

I don't think the senate Republicans will be able to stall out for that long. The pressure to "do their jobs" and least go through the motions with Obama's nominee will be high. I think the plan will be to stall for a while, then drag out the hearings, and then reject the candidate, probably with a filibuster occurring in there somewhere (I'm guessing Cruz). How reasonable they appear during this whole process will depend on who Obama nominates. Alternatively they might strike a deal with him, appointing his nominee in exchange for some concession.

have you been in a coma for the past 10 years?

• Locked thread